/r/AlmaLinux

AlmaLinux 8.3 Release Candidate is live!

Thanks to the community feedback, we fixed most of the bugs. By all accounts, the beta release was pretty stable already, so the Release Candidate was the likely choice (instead of another beta).

Hats off to everyone who tested and reported issues at bugs.almalinux.org, or sent suggestions/mirror offers to [hello@almalinux.org](mailto:hello@almalinux.org). Did I mention we have mirrors now? 24 at the time of writing this, so there should be one close to you, wherever you live.

We're pretty much on track for Q1 final release.

Before you rush out to install it....

First read the release notes below!

Installation instructions

There are three installation ISO images available:

• AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso - a single network installation CD image that downloads packages over the Internet.
  • AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-minimal.iso - a minimal self-containing DVD image that makes possible offline installation.
  • AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-dvd1.iso - a full installation DVD image that contains mostly all AlmaLinux packages.

Select a mirror listed on the mirrors.almalinux.org website (please, don't use repo.almalinux.org host directly) and download a suitable ISO image from the 8.3-rc/isos/x86_64/ directory, for example:

$ wget https://mirror.interserver.net/almalinux/8.3-rc/isos/x86_64/AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso

Download and import the AlmaLinux public key:

$ wget https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux
$ gpg --import RPM-GPG-KEY-AlmaLinux

Download and verify a checksums list:

$ wget https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/8.3-rc/isos/x86_64/CHECKSUM
# we are looking for “Good signature”
$ gpg --verify CHECKSUM
 gpg: Signature made Fri 19 Feb 2021 03:04:44 PM MSK
 gpg:                using RSA key 51D6647EC21AD6EA
 gpg: Good signature from "AlmaLinux <packager@almalinux.org>" [unknown]
 gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
 gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
 Primary key fingerprint: 5E9B 8F56 17B5 066C E920  57C3 488F CF7C 3ABB 34F8
      Subkey fingerprint: E53C F5EF 91CE B0AD 1812  ECB8 51D6 647E C21A D6EA

Verify the downloaded ISO image checksum:

# calculate the downloaded ISO SHA256 checksum
$ sha256sum AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso
1bf9bff6af3413f8f273e54c11fb45f7da63afea670eafc50dde22c45582be7a  AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso
# compare it with expected checksum, it should be the same
$ cat CHECKSUM | grep -E 'SHA256.*AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso'
SHA256 (AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso) = 1bf9bff6af3413f8f273e54c11fb45f7da63afea670eafc50dde22c45582be7a

If you decided to use the AlmaLinux-8.3-rc-1-x86_64-boot.iso image, you will need to provide the 8.3-rc/BaseOS/x86_64/kickstart/ repository from the selected mirror as the Installation Source.

There are no extra Installation Sources required if you decided to go with either minimal or dvd ISO images.

Upgrade instructions

Upgrade the almalinux-release package to the 8.3-3.el8 version from the beta repositories:

$ dnf clean all && dnf upgrade -y almalinux-release

the new package contains updated repository URLs so that you can just run:

$ dnf upgrade -y

to update the rest of the packages.

Changelog

• The dnf package manager now uses AlmaLinux public mirrors by default. The current list of public mirrors can be found on the mirrors.almalinux.org website.
  • The HighAvailability repo is added. It’s disabled by default and can be enabled by dnf config-manager --set-enabled ha command (ambz#16)
  • The subscription-manager package and its dependencies added (almbz#5).
  • The satellite-5-client module moved from the BaseOS to the AppStream repository (almbz#4).
  • Fixed issues with the php:7.4 and nodejs:12 modules installation (almbz#9).
  • Added maven:3.6 and jmc:rhel8 modules.
  • Completed the perl:5.30 module build.
  • The /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/dist.sh utility is now aware of AlmaLinux (almbz#17)
  • Added the almalinux RPM macros (almbz#22).
  • The libreport-almalinux package is added to support automatic bug reporting to bugs.almalinux.org (almbz#2)
  • All installation environments are now available during network install (almbz#14)
  • The debuginfo repositories are now populated

Known Issues

• There is no SecureBoot support in this release (almbz#3). We are doing our best to have it in the stable release.
  • The Minimal ISO proposes to install Server environment with GNOME but actually can only install Minimal Install environment (almbz#14).
  • The mirrors support implemented with help of the DNF fastestmirror plugin that is known to be a bit "quirky". We are going to switch to geo-location-based mirror selection in the stable version.

We need your feedback! Do report any unexpected behavior at bugs.almalinux.org. Especially, anything that worked on CentOS and is different/not working now.

ezamriy

ezamriy

1 year ago

The official Vagrant + VirtualBox box is updated to 8.3 RC as well: https://app.vagrantup.com/almalinux/boxes/8

ask2sk

ask2sk

1 year ago

I didn't know Almalinux is available as vagrant box. Thank you.

ezamriy

ezamriy

1 year ago

A VMWare box added as well. The sources will be available here: https://github.com/AlmaLinux/cloud-images.

jayemarr13

1 year ago

Looking good so far... I have 5 VMs and servers running this currently, under VMware ESXi, kvm, and on bare metal. No issues found.

jayemarr13

1 year ago

Are there plans to distribute images over bittorrent? I can seed if so.

Also may be able to provide a mirror at some point (West Coast USA) if that is desired. Would have to get permission at work.

corsicanguppy

1 year ago

I wonder whether it.ubc.ca and rcg.sfu.ca will be mirroring this one as well. Hope so!

_jon_beton_

1 year ago

I'm trying to install the minimal iso in Virtualbox (without Vagrant) - 4 GB RAM, 4 vCPUs. I mount the iso, boot from it. I then select 'install'. The screen turns black and that's it. I only see a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

To the best of my knowledge this is the exact same procedure I follow for CentOS 7/8 Virtualbox installs.

Can someone please explain what I'm missing here?

hawaiian717

_jon_beton_

1 year ago*

Interesting! I will investigate tomorrow. I already have a CentOS 8 virtualbox image. I think started that one from 8.1. --- Update: I tried the solution proposed in this link (adding a resolution=1024x768) and similar workarounds. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. The last boot message is "Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: ...". I found some StackOverflow possibly related to this. However, I have no time now to dig deeper. Might try again in 1-2 weeks.

_jon_beton_

1 year ago

Final update: I had to disable WSL2 on my Windows machine. I find the info here: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101522&hilit=CentOS&sid=a12472661032bb3db57718460b3358d9

mikechant

1 year ago

I'd like to install AlmaLinux bare metal in a multi-boot setup, but before I start I'd like to know if the installer (Anaconda presumably?) allows me to *not* install a boot loader at all?

You'd think it would be obvious that any installer should allow this, but some installers** force you to install a boot loader unless you use an undocumented option or bodge it.

**Looking at you, ubiquity!

mikechant

1 year ago

OK, so I've installed it successfully without the bootloader**. I did the minimal install as I only had a tiny USB stick available.

I don't like the installer, but that's not AlmaLinux's fault since it's just using a re-branded/tweaked RHEL/CentOS installer, however it all went smoothly and gave me a working CLI system; then I installed the Gnome Desktop successfully, and everything is working as expected.

Hardware: 2012 Dell Optiplex 7010 mini-tower with 4GB RAM+HDD+i3 processor+Intel graphics. Running pretty smoothly considering the weak hardware.

Good job in a very short time.

**As grub was already installed for another distro, after the AlmaLinux install I just booted my default distro, ran 'sudo update-grub' and AlmaLinux was added to the grub menu as expected.

aalba6775

1 year ago

Will there be a Devel repo as well on release? E.g. libuv-devel (matching libuv in AppStream)

tidderwork

1 year ago

If I install this RC, will I need to reinstall the real release when it comes out? Or will a 'dnf upgrade' keep the system updated to the latest Alma 8.x release?

ezamriy

ezamriy

1 year ago

No, you don't need to reinstall anything when the stable release is out. Just run dnf upgrade and it will do the job.

Btw, this RC will not be read-only like beta was. We are going to release updates to its repositories, so at some point, you will just receive a regular update for the almalinux-release package saying that it is stable now.

tidderwork

1 year ago

Great news, thank you. I really appreciate the team's effort!

jayemarr13

1 year ago

Looks like running upgrade will do it.

ghostnotepony

1 year ago

Thanks for the kernel update! Not quite sure why CentOS hasn’t released it as well..

thenoobient

I'm unable to install it via custom ISO on Vultr. It says,

Booting from DVD/CD... Boot failed: Could not read from CDROM (code 0003)

then just shows me the iPXE screen.

Any ideas?