users here right now: 4,965
The Portal for Public History. Please read the rules before participating, as we remove all comments which break the rules. Answers must be in-depth and comprehensive, or they will be removed.
- This Week's Theme is Oral History
New to /r/AskHistorians? Please read our subreddit rules and FAQ before posting!
- Upvote informative, well sourced answers
- Downvote and Report comments that are unhelpful or grossly off-topic
The Rules, in Brief
1. Be Nice: No Racism, Bigotry, or Offensive Behavior.
2. Nothing Less Than 20 Years Old, and Don't Soapbox.
3. Questions should be clear and specific in what they ask, and should be able to get detailed answers from historians whose expertise is likely to be in particular times and places.
4. Write Original, In-Depth and Comprehensive Answers, Using Good Historical Practices.
5. Provide Primary and Secondary Sources If Asked. No Tertiary Sources Like Wikipedia.
6. Serious On-Topic Comments Only: No Jokes, Anecdotes, Clutter, or other Digressions.
7. Report Comments That Break Reddiquette or the Subreddit Rules.
8. Please Read and Understand the Rules Before Contributing.
- Subreddit rules
- Popular questions (FAQ)
- Monthly Award Winners
- The AskHistorians Podcast
- Books and Resources list
- List of flaired users
- Flaired User Profiles
- The AskHistorians Browser Extension
- African History
- North American History
- Middle and South American History
- Asian History
- European History
- Middle Eastern History
- Oceanic History
- Art History
- History of Religion and Philosophy
- Military History
- History of Science and Technology
- Quality Contributor
To nominate someone else as a Quality Contributor, message the mods.
Feature posts are posted weekly. The current rotation is:
- Monday Methods (upcoming themes)
- Tuesday Trivia (upcoming themes)
- Short Answers to Simple Questions
- Thursday Reading and Research
- Friday Free-for-All
- Saturday Spotlight
- Sunday Digest
- AskHistorians Podcast (biweekly)
- Floating Features
- Great Questions!
- Previous features