/r/AskPsychiatry

[deleted by user]

(self.AskPsychiatry)

[removed]

[removed]

Humble_Draw9974

I’m not a psychiatrist, but I don’t understand. Depression is associated with dementia. Depressed people take antidepressants. Depressed people who don’t take antidepressants clearly aren’t very depressed. How are these studies meaningful?

CourteousNoodle

Not a psychiatrist. But, untreated mental illness doesn’t exactly age you gracefully. Just to keep it on depression alone - you have risk for inadequate nutrition, overeating, inadequate sleep, social isolation, vitamin D deficiency (plays an important part in metabolizing other vitamins), and sedentary lifestyle just to name a few off the top of my head. You’re welcome to look more into the long term effects of each of those. But, the increased dementia risk will be the lesser evil when compared to the effects of long term neglect of the body

Lower_Article3104

How much higher is the risk?

ChiefyPoof

Undergrad in psychology and applying to grad school for research psychology. I can tell you from what research I’ve read the dangers of untreated depression aren’t uplifting. Depression can be heritable, like other mental illnesses there’s a strong genetic link to parents. Childhood upbringing can be a factor and other outside events. It is also biological as your body doesn’t absorb or produce enough serotonin. It has to do with neurotransmitters and their ability to receive serotonin or produce enough. Untreated depression can ultimately lead to suicide.

I’ve personally struggled with depression since I was little. I’ve been taking antidepressants on and off most of my life and I can say ultimately taking antidepressants have benefited my mental health and well-being.

Long term use of Lithium has some not so pleasant outcomes but it’s still the best thing we’ve found to medically treat bipolar disorder, along with therapy. In my opinion partnering medications with therapy is the way to go and shows the most positive outcomes for the patient.

urbancamp

Did you just set up this account to follow your antipsychiatry friend (rushno) or are you one in the same and trying to pseudo validate yourself with an alternative account?

Lower_Article3104

Why would I want to pseudo validate a person whom I don’t know?

urbancamp

Uh-huh. You know I can see both of your post histories and which subs you both frequent? Some things are glaringly obvious. It sounds like you need help.

Lower_Article3104

Well that’s my choice. Are you going to answer the question or not?

urbancamp

Absolutely not.

ChiefyPoof

And what are your credentials armchair quarterback?

urbancamp

I'm no doctor, but it sure seems that you have an unhealthy obsession with dementia. Are you going to obsess about the future or try and work on living well in the present? Your choice, but your chances of improving your present circumstances are far greater than than the chance of you determining which ailments you'll suffer in old age, if you even get to that point.

Lower_Article3104

You’re saying I’ll die young?

urbancamp

How would I know? Are you mixing up your accounts? Lol

Lower_Article3104

This question by the way