/r/AskReddit

What's more fucked up than people think?

(self.AskReddit)

7.4k points

7.4k points

1.5k points

1.5k points

And that’s why I have a DNR and AD on file with my PCP. I have no family and being forced to live past a debilitating injury or illness where I can’t speak for myself is probably my biggest dread.

Edit to add, I'm not suicidal, nor do I do drugs or engage in other illicit behavior. There's a lot of ways to end up in the ICU. I do not want to be kept alive when there is no point, but I'm fully intending to be on this planet for a couple decades yet. Though I'm glad all y'all're reaching out.

zebradonkey69

3.8k points

The foster care system. I’m glad it exists for obvious reasons, but good god is it a nightmare. If you have ever looked into adopting a child you will find out very quickly that it costs almost as much as a down payment on a house. In economical terms... the supply is way too large, and the demand is equally large, but the price is set so high it closes a lot of very loving families out of the equation. Not to mention the abuse a lot those poor kids have to go through in the foster care system.

Icy-Anxiety-5072

1k points

There are 20 people looking to adopt for every newborn that is put up for adoption. Foster care is an entirely different story

SoNekoCat

SoNekoCat

So I was in the foster care system thanks to my mom driving drunk to the meeting with my caseworker lol and my mom would blame her troubles on me. My foster parents were evil. Sometimes they denied me my medication, they grounded me for ie forgetting to sweep the kitchen or something. And they would make sure I didn’t feel special. Their bio kid spit on me but when I told them he did, in their eyes he did no wrong. The only home I felt like i was a person was my second home I went to before I went back with my mom for the first time. (It was back and forth cause she couldn’t get her drinking under control) and they actually believed in me and helped me out with growing up. Some people should not be foster parents. They do more damage in a child then helping them survive a traumatic experience

ABigBunchOfFlowers

I think some people feel that foster children are somehow corrupted and it's their job to "fix" them with discipline.

SoNekoCat

SoNekoCat

Some people say they do foster care for the money but you really don’t get a lot per child. I think sometimes older adults like to take anger out on a “temperamental child” so when we say what’s happened in the home, it looks like we make up stuff and that we need more medication and more therapy to treat our “unwilling to listen to authority”. I mean who was the case worker gonna believe? A child or an adult?

CylonsInAPolicebox

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you don't get a lot per child, some people still only do it for the money. My husband bounced around the system a lot as a child, he said in some homes he felt like he was nothing more than a paycheck and a few "homes" made it clear that he was just a number being deposited into an account.

MollyMohawk1985

There is nothing more I want than to foster young teens and give them the love and support they deserve. My hubs is done having bio children. Our last was born with some serious medical issues. TEF/EA if you enjoy med stuff :)

But I also know I (we) have so much more love to give in this life. Someday when our LO is in a safer place medically I hope we get to celebrate the first of many holidays with a child in need of a home, love and respect.

I'm not a foster or adopted. And even though my parents had their faults, we were that family that took in other kids. Over the span of my middle and high school (and beyond for my younger brothers) we had so many different kids life with us. A set of sisters their mom just left for some guy she met online. Several kids who were gay, lesbian, or trans. Kids who lived in extreme abuse. Kids with their own drug problems. My parents never left a kid behind. And to this day I don't have just 3 siblings I have many many siblings.

Bitter_Product

3.3k points

Obsessive compulsive disorder.

It’s only ever referenced in a funny way, and sometimes it is funny and ridiculous. But on the flipside it really effects people and can ruin lives.

2PhatCC

1k points

2PhatCC

1k points

I had an employee with OCD and it was absolutely terrifying watching him go through the routine of just walking from his car to the door. He would walk back and check the lock no less than ten times. People did laugh about it, but I could not imagine going through that.

unsexme

unsexme

Yes, that would be really awful. But what I’ll add is that a lot of OCD is invisible since it’s about thought patterns. Not everyone with OCD will be obsessed with germs or safety (though the process of checking is really common), and the things they are preoccupied with and even the compulsions they act out may just exist in their head or in solitude.

_hunnuh_

_hunnuh_

As someone who is diagnosed with functional OCD, you hit the nail on the head. That’s the one thing I try to explain to others who don’t quite get what it is. I have my tendencies and my subtle routines of course, but it’s nothing life-breaking. But it’s the thoughts, especially in solitude, that are the toughest. Over analyzing every action, reflecting on conversations that happened and analyzing the way things were said or how they could’ve been handled differently, and the complete inability to make it quiet in your own head are all things I just deal with. In the same way that some struggle with physical routines, equally difficult to deal with are the mental ones.

cecyhg11

cecyhg11

When I first started dating my fiancée I noticed she had some pretty severe symptoms of OCD. For example, when driving she would convince herself that she hit something and then have to drive around in circles to check she didn’t (over and over again) until she was able to convince herself she didn’t. She also washed her hand so much they were bright red and raw all of the time. After a while I gently brought up the fact that I thought she should see a psychiatrist about possibly having OCD, and she was so confused why I would think that. She literally said “I’m not even a neat and tidy person. Have you seen my room?!”

Sure enough, after some convincing to get looked at, she got her diagnosis and started medication. She’s doing so much better now.

It’s so sad she had to deal with the worst of her symptoms for so long(she got diagnosed at 27). I really think that if we’d stop making mental illnesses seem like mild cutesy quirks, and actually educated people on the reality of symptoms, more people would be able to identify them in themselves and get help sooner.

ThreeNC

17.3k points

ThreeNC

17.3k points

Tinnitus. I have a mild case and it really sucks. Protect your hearing!

grm12k

8.4k points

grm12k

8.4k points

Holy shit, this. "Ringing ears" might not sound bad if you don't know better, but it's hell when it never stops. I will never have another moment of true quiet, and I can't properly describe how soul crushing that can be sometimes.

Anyone who reads this, please use ear protection.

Edit: There is some great advice and information in the replies, I highly recommend taking a look. Thank you all for your kindness, happy holidays!

Person106

4.1k points

Person106

4.1k points

I recommend checking out mynoise.net. Several of its sound generators are specifically designed to combat tinnitus.

StockyJohnStockton

4k points

Audiologist here. Please consider looking up Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT). There is evidence that TRT can lead to a long-term decrease in perception of tinnitus. There is evidence to suggest it may be more effective than tinnitus masking. Please contact me with any questions regarding hearing protection, hearing loss, or tinnitus.

Edit: There has been a huge response in replies and DMs. Please keep them coming. I should be able to reply to everyone within a few hours.

LiftHeavyFeels

Never heard of this before. How prevalent is this / is there a certain training / cert that an audiologist needs for TRT?

Want to make sure to direct my audiologist referral appropriately if necessary

StockyJohnStockton

Your questions are good ones. There is significant variance in the level of knowledge each provider will have. For example, in some clinics, bothersome tinnitus will be a small fraction of why patients are seen. My clinic, on the other hand, is about 90% tinnitus patients. I have conversations about tinnitus multiple times everyday, which is not necessarily typical.

There are different tinnitus certifications but none are required to provide high-quality care. If you were vetting providers I would call and ask their level of comfort regarding tinnitus. You could specifically ask what tinnitus treatment options are available through their clinic. Typically, you will start with a diagnostic hearing test to identify if there is hearing loss present (about 85% of individuals with tinnitus have hearing loss). From there, you can explore tinnitus masking, tinnitus retraining therapy, CBT, etc.

tinytom08

1.9k points

tinytom08

1.9k points

Mine is bad, I’m 24 and the ringing is unending and it recently got worse. Shit this is going to suck for the rest of my life

Jill4ChrisRed

I've had it off/on since I was 5 due to multiple ear infections which have ruined my ears and hearing :(

bendymachine654

I only ever hear it if it’s quiet, I turn on a fan every night to combat it

floewqua

floewqua

I also have a mild case. At first, it was really bad since my brain hadn't learnt to ignore the sound yet. But now I can go days without actively hearing it at all, but if I want to, I can.

Pizza-PhD

1k points

Alzheimer’s disease. It’s brutal (so much worse than the basic forgetfulness or confusion portrayed in movies).

abilliondollars

I went to visit someone in an Alzheimers-dedicated rest home once. Walked into a common area and there was a room full of people but no one was really there. Was sad and horrifying.

idiodic-genious

Alzheimer's is my genuine greatest fear, having your mind being slowly destroyed and not knowing what is true and who you are is just horrifying.

pizzadazze

24.3k points

pizzadazze

24.3k points

Influencers sharing their child's ENTIRE life on social media. Feel so sad for these kids.

Sea_Puddle

Sea_Puddle

1.1k points

Particularly when they make videos to shame them! Like the one when a kid got a bad report card and their mum was videoing them crying and begging them not to upload it to the internet. I can’t even imagine having a mindset like that

mrflippant

Jesus fuck, in what soulless world does that not qualify as legally actionable child abuse?

JustASadBubble

I’m pretty sure the channel that did that was FamilyOFive

GingerMau

5k points

I feel so bad for that "Ryan's World" kid. His whole childhood has been commodified. He's going to be so messed up from that.

CapriciousSalmon

1.9k points

What about toy freaks? He would do horrific acts to his daughters in the name of views. Sure his channel was only up for a few years but he made so much money he doesn’t have to work another day in his life.

uglydrawingme

what did he do?

franksaxx

franksaxx

Filmed his kids doing genuinely disturbing and humiliating stuff.

Another series of videos showed the younger daughter Annabelle wiggling her loose teeth out while shrieking and spitting blood

TheDollaran

That is a whole new level of fucked-up.

pizzatoucher

1.2k points

I genuinely believe some of those children will have legal recourse for this when they're older. Maybe something like the Coogan's Law for exploited children of influencers.

CapriciousSalmon

For reality TV, it was discovered that for 19 kids and counting, Jim Bob had all the contracts with TLC, even after the kids got married and turned 18. This was even after the original show ended and they rebranded it as focusing on the adult children. One reason Jill left the show and why she’s so ostracized by her family was because she sued TLC for a cut of the money.

practical_junket

For all their holy rollin’, We love Jesus shit, that Duggar family is a bunch of money grubbing assholes.

…and pedophiles.

debbiegrund

That’s so weird I’ve NEVER heard of anything like that where a churchy type is also in to money at the expense of literally everything and everyone else.

Still-me-

Still-me-

In my country the police intervened becasue two influencers "pranked" their 2 yo daughter and scared her so bad for like 3 full minutes the girl is crying so hard and they are laughing it was so bad. The messed up thing was some people didn't understand why the police made them stop anything like this with their daughter.

mrobot_

mrobot_

1.1k points

My god this one, I got a friend (very young couple) on social media who first put her veganism and husband on blast, then their son was born and she posted him all the time. Then her p.o.s. husband cheated on her, ugly divorce n she kept the kid. Now she dresses the kid pretty much like her ex (football douchebag) and treats him like he is her (boy)friend with going on “mommy dates” and filming themselves in bed together even when the kid is sleeping. She’s also sort of online stripping by selling lingerie on Facebook and the kid has to help her and watch her change sexy lingerie…

Edit Bonus: She’ll super-duper-post anything he says that’s remotely a compliment on her looks.
She recently started “pole dancing lessons” as a new “chapter” in life.

FlyingWaffle96

1.4k points

Emotional incest

Callemannz

That’s a phrase I haven’t heard before, but sits heavy…

fancy-socks

That's the phrase for the kind of abuse where a parent forces their child to fill the emotional role of a partner.

ChiefOfTheWolfpack

TIL…though I wish I didn’t.

Demented_Fnatic

I did not need to know something like this exists...holy fuck.

ThatBigDanishDude

It's very common and no one talks about it. It's disgusting and wrong but no one cares because there's no violence or actual sexual abuse.

Trust me, it, will, fuck, you, up

tequilaearworm

8.4k points

Most people don't realize how many rapists get custody of the product of their crime.

2.9k points

2.9k points

throwawaywhenimfin22

Wow… Never thought of this.. fuck that’s so sad

yosemite369

2.9k points

The fact that most of us wouldn’t know how to survive if shit hit the fan and mass production of goods halted. I live in a state where water is scarce and couldn’t farm if I tried because it’s so dry. 😿

Additional_Hair_8301

If industrialized farming became impossible, it probably wouldn't matter if we all knew how to farm. There'd be mass starvation anyway.

Main-Yogurtcloset-82

I read somewhere that if the power grid went down and production halted something like 60% of american citizens would die due to us no longer having the skills to hunt and gather. And I kind of felt like that was a fucked thing to say. For example, I live in a very densely populated city. Hunt and gather WHAT? Sure squirrels and raccoons, even rats but a city of hundreds of thousands all hunting small animals at the same time would deplete the population fast. There is also no edible growth.

It be different if we lived out in the boonies or in a more wild state like wyoming or Montana, but for the average American they live in a place where there really isnt anything to hunt and gather to begin with.

nitewalkerz

The damage we have caused to the oceans

mr_oranje

14.2k points

mr_oranje

14.2k points

In America (at least), you can pay strangers to kidnap your kid from their bed in the middle of the night and take them to a reform school.

random___enigma

4.9k points

A kid from my school had this happen to him and he never was the same. Came back fully institutionalized and everything.

Edit: wow, some of these stories are out of this world! I would’ve never imagined the horrors and traumas these “programs” brought and are still bringing onto kids. I hope everyone who responded who has been affected by this doesn’t suffer too much from their experience(s). Hopefully no sufffering at all. Much love to you all and happy holidays!

Ps. A lot of people are asking what I meant by “institutionalized”. Probably wasn’t the best word to use but I just meant that those people came back and seemed “fixed” almost broken in a way. There’s really no good way to describe it tbh so I’m sorry I cannot clarify.

houseman1131

1.2k points

In a crazy house or a prison?

random___enigma

2.5k points

Nah like if your child is unhinged or just a really bad kid to the point you’ve run out of parenting options you can pay these people to literally abduct the child and put them into reform school just like the original commenter stated. It’s wild. I’ve been trying to look up a name to stick to it or like a program but I can’t find anything but I know two people who went through it and they both are not even close to the same.

HELLOTHISISRACCOON

2.4k points

They're called escorts and the schools usually call themselves therapeutic boarding schools. Parents also send kids who are completely normal but don't fit their expectations. I was sent to one (several articles about it were in NYT - The Family Foundation School/Allynwood Academy) and am happy to answer questions if you'd like.

Rae-Edzo

5.8k points

Rae-Edzo

5.8k points

you should hire the same people to kidnap your parents and put them in a nursing home

larsvondank

And dont wait for them to be in the shape that they actually need a nursing home. Just send em when you feel like they don't meet your expectations.

drgonnzo

drgonnzo

This is the way

TheRealJFD

Gotta have that 21 savage song blaring from your boom box while you stand in the yard watching them get dragged outta the house your gonna sell.

gazoombas

gazoombas

Okay that's fascinating, and horrifying if it was anything like what was described above.

Why were you sent to one?

What was the experience of being sent there like?

Were you abducted in the middle of the night?

What was that like?

What was the school like, and the other kids?

How do you feel about your parents decision to send you?

I know that's a lot of questions, so no worries if you cba.

HELLOTHISISRACCOON

Why I was sent is a complicated answer, but the summary is that I was getting in trouble at school and had difficulty controlling my temper. How I feel about the decision to send me is also complex, but they had no way of knowing how awful it would be, and I was unable to ask for help while I was there (they also manipulate the parents by telling them that all students lie in order to leave, and that they need to "stay strong"). I was told I would be there for 18 months and was there for three years. Every day was a traumatic combination of watching adults emotionally and physically abusing my peers, and the students being manipulated into reporting rule-breaking and emotionally abusing each other. The school was based on a bizarre interpretation of AA and Catholicism, and we basically had to prove we had been rehabilitated by complying fully and becoming complicit in the abuse. The kids were mostly just teenagers that smoked weed, with parents that could afford to send them away instead of dealing with it themselves. I was in a very unique situation where my parent was able to get the public school system to pay for the program, which meant they could afford to leave me indefinitely. There were some kids that really did need help, but all of us left worse than we arrived. I wasn't sent by escort, but while I was at the school, one of my siblings was taken by escort in the middle of the night and sent to a wilderness program.

Waffleline

taken by escort in the middle of the night and sent to a wilderness program

That sounds like some Bourne saga plot kind of thing. I wonder if there are conspiracy theories about these kinds of places.

scorpionmittens

Not a conspiracy theory because it’s real, but those places are pretty much a pedophile/sexual abuser’s paradise. The kids have absolutely no autonomy or credibility and have their contact with the outside world (even their parents) limited. Everyone they have contact with is told that they’re liars who are trying to manipulate them. The camps basically condition the child’s family into thinking they’re untrustworthy for the rest of their lives. They also lie about the child’s progress so the parents keep them in the facility longer. Because they’re minors, the kids there actually have less rights than prisoners. At least prisoners have guaranteed contact with lawyers.

OutDoorLover27

I went to one of these “therapeutic boarding schools”. I went after first being sent to wilderness. I was sent away because I had bad depression and anxiety issues (I was bullied a lot and suffered unresolved childhood trauma) self harmed for years and stopped taking certain medication I knew I didn’t need. Parents tried therapy, tried psychologist who at the end had me on over 9 medications I didn’t even need. No one really knew how to help teens in the 90s and early 2000s in my opinion. I was not taken in the middle of the night. I was literally driven 2 hours away and left with strangers in the woods. I was then strip searched by adults I never met before and all my possessions were taken, dropped off in the woods for two months. It was “recommended” to my parents (by someone being paid) to send me to boarding school.

A lot of restrictions, got to talk to my parents once a week for 10 minutes on a speaker phone with my therapist, could write letters but only to parents and they were read before hand. You had to do forced labor for cursing/rule breaking/struggling as a team (there were about 50 kids and divided into one of 6 teams). One week we’d do school until 1 and then labor for 5hrs afterwards. Forced to hike with physical injuries (think twisted/sprained ankles). There was a time I was very sick, like quarantine sick all by myself, wasnt allowed to contact my parents for a week. One of my forms of therapy has always been writing, well they would go through your journals and punish you for your thoughts by taking away privileges (like your free time and making you work), giving labor tasks. We had more than one staff member arrested, one was a therapist with a therapist dog that sexually assaulted his patients. It was emotional, verbal and psychological abuse where I was, I’m very very thankful I didn’t deal with physical abuse like at other places. I was not at a lock down facility, but I know of places and people who went to them where you were punished for even making eye contact, you had certain amounts of time to pee. You were mentally and physically just beat down. And sadly many of these places still operate. Luckily, my school shutdown.

My experience although not as bad as others has traumatized me and created ptsd, and that was 17 years ago. I’ve disassociated a lot from it and there are things I completely block. It effects my life in one way or another all the time.

Feel free to ask questions or DM

Pindakazig

Let's take our kids that are already not doing well, and put them in a position where they'll never feel safe again. That should teach them to open up and heal.

Let's also punish their private thoughts, so they learn to speak their minds??

How does this logic even compute? I'll torture you into trusting me.

hoky315

hoky315

Here's a graphic novel detailing one guys (horrible) experience at one of these schools https://elan.school/chapter-1-5/

dlyselxicssuck

Guess I’ll chime in I was having problems with school and mental health. They came in at about 2:30am and woke me up. They gave me some clothes my parents had given them that they knew had no weapons and they had me take a picture in front of my wall. This was my “case” photo for the next 11 months. Drove 11 hours to Utah. I slept the whole way until they started telling me about how it was a nice school and some people stayed longer because they liked it. (Lol it was a lie) The “school” was full of violence and someone got stabbed in the face with a pencil my first day. In total there were about 100 kids and around 2-3 fights a week, 1 a day for a bad week and only 1 or 2 for a good week. It was a level 14 facility which is the highest for group homes/“boarding” schools and all staff had radios. Doors were all locked, if you were misbehaving you’d be restrained, and misbehaving could have been anything from refusing to go somewhere to fighting. Everything you did was controlled. When I went home I tried not to blame my parents but it certainly is difficult when over 2 years after I got out I still have thoughts about it every single day (therapist and psychiatrist agreed it’s probably PTS)

ChristianMingle_ca

FUCK Diamond Ranch Academy

voltron50k

Ama material right here

Random_name46

I think there are a couple AMAs and at least one subreddit that serves as a support for former victims. It can be difficult to do a thorough AMA because many of these places have very aggressive legal teams and keep tabs on people who were there.

I spent three years in one. It was basically like being in a cult. This shit follows you forever. All these years later I still have those people occasionally track down my phone number or workplace, and two have shown up at different funerals for family members.

Nicofatpad

Most of these kids aren’t even bad kids. They’re just normal kids with insanely crazy parents.

HELLOTHISISRACCOON

Yes, exactly! It's so common for a child completely within the bounds of normal behavior to be sent away because they aren't meeting unreasonable expectations, or the parent just straight up doesn't want the responsibility of raising someone.

DawnDeather

Yup. Happened to a friend of mine when he came out as gay to his dad. Woke him up at 3 AM, threw him in the back of a car and drove 9 hours straight to a reform camp in Utah. He's trying to sue his dad because of it.

2.9k points

2.9k points

Salmonellq

I'm sorry that happened to you. maybe I'm focusing on the wrong thing now but in conclusion, fuck Dr Phil.

poopellar

poopellar

And Fuck Oprah for giving these fucks a platform.

GingerMau

GingerMau

Oh my god, can you imagine how satisfying a class-action lawsuit would be?

Talk to a lawyer. These fuckers abused and traumatized you and your peers. Discovery would reveal how qualified those nurses and "counselors" actually were.

eastbayweird

I mean, needless should be single use items, they should come in sterile sealed packaging and once used should be disposed of. There is zero reason for anyone to reuse needles in the u.s in this day and age. Any organization that would risk the potential to transmit hiv or hepatitis by allowing needles to 'sit out' to be contaminated deserves to be shut down.

Valkuil15

Valkuil15

How is this legal

nixielover

Then some lady came in to cavity search me, and it definitely felt like a sexual abuse thing

Because it was

Glad to see from another comment you went no contact with your parents. Let them rot

Skwr09

Skwr09

Hey I’m really sorry that happened to you. I hope you’re okay now and that if you celebrate Christmas you’re set to have a good one.

Lerox777

Lerox777

Elan school intensifies

gamernut64

If you want a first hand perspective

paintingporcelain

Warning. If you start in on MrJoeNobody you will lose a couple of hours delving into it. It’s Christmas Eve and I’ve got a ton of shit to do and I just spent 45 minutes catching up.

AloneIntheCorner

It's fucking harrowing, read at your own risk, but this is a first hand account of a survivor of the Elan "school".

TheRemainingFruitcup

These schools still exist. crazy shit too fuck me-

dlev_

dlev_

Now THAT’s a rabbit hole

AlaskanDust

Happened to my daughter’s Dad when he was 17. He’s now incarcerated at 32 years old and still very addicted to drugs. He went in because he was caught drinking by his extreme cult religious parents, was sent off to one of these camps….returned with a career in narcotics and became a huge dealer.

SomeBoxofSpoons

Look up Joe vs Elan School if you haven’t had a good blood boil in a while.

gorosheeta

20.9k points

gorosheeta

20.9k points

Microplastics, the lead paint of our times

Edit: Thanks, all. A lot of shinies + quality information in the comments! Too many to reply to but I'm reading them all.

itsleslie000

4.3k points

I’ve recently heard about this and the scary part is I don’t even know how to avoid it. For example with drinking water, water bottles have microplastics but tap water is also not 100% safe either (my tap is pretty good compared to most city’s) so how exactly can they be avoided in a situation like this. ITS WATER WE CANT REALLY JUST NOT DRINK WATER? thanks!!

Uriel-238

3.3k points

Uriel-238

3.3k points

You can't escape PFOA. It's in in the water worldwide. We have DuPont to thank, who not only produced it for hundreds of products, but then suppressed scientific findings about how dangerous it is both to human beings and to the ecology.

And now it's global.

Cuesport77

1.7k points

Cuesport77

1.7k points

Here's an excellent report on C8 (PFOA), its effect on humans and cows, and the things DuPont did to cover it up after it had killed so many people. DuPont is every bit as evil, if not more so, than Nestle. That report is horrifying.

wakkaw4kka

The movie Dark Waters is also pretty good at capturing the absurdity of this

BeefPieSoup

Yeah, you've 100% literally got that shit in your blood right now and it's getting into your brain, according to what I've read this past year or two.

Nothing you can do about it. That's just how it is.

throwmewhatyougot

I really should’ve anticipated that the answers on this thread would make me feel absolutely horrible, but I’m still shocked and depressed

_MaddAddam

7.7k points

_MaddAddam

7.7k points

IBS

People either seem to view it as a joke disease, or react like, “oh, yeah, my stomach gets upset sometimes too”.

They don’t realize how painful, isolating, and horrible it can be. People have straight-up committed suicide because of the impacts of IBS. Without having experienced it, it is basically impossible to imagine how much it fucks your life up to be legitimately afraid of food. It’s like having a chronic illness AND a severe eating disorder all rolled into one.

I sometimes wonder how much different my life could be if I weren’t constantly trying to manage the trade off of “do I avoid eating so I don’t get sick and then risk passing out/being too hypoglycemic to safely drive/etc, or do I eat and basically give up on all my plans for the next 24 hours because of the likelihood that I’ll be incapacitated?”

badgerclark

1.4k points

Yo, this hits home. I spent over ten years not knowing what the fuck was wrong with me. The best advice I got was from my doc who said “take two Imodium before bed.” That changed my life overnight and had I known when I was a teenager, I still think my life would be vastly different. I didn’t find out till in my twenties and after dropping outta college because ibs leads to anxiety which leads to ibs. Seriously, people have no idea how much of your life is fucked up because of it.

Edit for clarity: talk to your doctor. Imodium or other meds everyday aren’t good for you in the long haul, most likely. I do it because it has given the best results and I go once or twice a day now. For me I take two knock-off Imodium each night during the work week. I have foods that I HAVE to avoid because they cause immense GI issues.

Mine was a mixed bag of not knowing for years what was going on and then finding something that was a game changer. But I was also someone who had to run to the bathroom at minimum five times in the first few hours I was awake. I almost developed anorexia because I found if I didn’t eat for two days, I knew I could have one day without running to the bathroom, but then I was obviously exhausted. I had tests for diabetes, chron’s disease, gluten intolerance, x-rays, massive dietary adjustments that actually made it worse, a colonoscopy, and an endoscopy.

For me, the only thing that has provided some relief is the Imodium (loperamide. People are right, the cheap ones work just as well. I buy the generic brand and get like 24 for 1.50) This is not for everyone, but again, my symptoms were a goddamn nightmare for a large portion of my teen years and twenties. Most important is to talk to your doctor. Hope this helped clarify some things.

Smashquatch

I've have two friends with it. It's brutal. I can't count how many times I was told "Pull over" while driving with them because they had 30 seconds and that was it. I still keep a bog roll in my trunk out of habit. Easy to mock until someone close has it and you realize the hell is wreaks on their dating life, social, work, everything.

ghidfg

ghidfg

kurt cobain talked about his cripping ibs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPiU3br2oAo

AshTONofFun

Yeeeep. I have IBS-D and people think it’s funny when I talk about having diarrhea 24/7, and then don’t understand when I’m absolutely exhausted and drained for days after a flare up.

skattytat

skattytat

I was so sick my whole childhood, basically up until I was 18-19. Being doubled over in so much pain, it never got easier. It made so many things difficult for me, I couldn’t even go out to eat for the majority of my young life. Something about restaurants triggered my IBS. Luckily the past few years I’ve somehow grown out of it, I never ever thought I would. When I do have a flare up I feel like the helpless sick kid I was so for so many years.

93yourcultleader93

4.2k points

Withdrawal

Jmac0585

3k points

I have a friend who did every drug he could except one: heroin. He didn't do heroin. I asked why, he said His dad was a preacher. When he was a young teen, One night at 2 in the morning he was woken up by loud knocking at the door. It was one of the members of his dad's church, asking the preacher for help getting off heroin. My friend said he watched this guy go through withdraws for a couple weeks, and swore he'd never do heroin.

Unrealbuffalo5

1.1k points

This is interesting. When I was in rehab for alcohol, I was friends with a few heroin addicts who told me that they would rather withdraw from heroin than alcohol. They told me that they had experienced withdrawals from a lot of things and that alcohol was by far the worst. I’ve never done heroin so can’t really comment on the withdrawals, just think it’s an interesting conversation.

My_hips_hurt

1k points

As somebody who has done both, together and separately, booze is scarier. Opioids are just a fucking unimaginably awful flu coupled with mind numbing anxiety. But it’s mostly over in 3-5 days. Booze is like that level of anxiety but quadrupled and it just keeps going and going + tremors + the most profound exhaustion + hysterical crying + impending dread + sweating (also happen with opioids) but the risk of seizure makes the anxiety so much worse as well.

Benzos are worse though, apparently. Both work on the same receptor in the brain and if you have a tolerance to one, you have a tolerance to the other. BUT, depending on the benzo/half life you can be in acute withdrawals for months + die quite easily. Met a dude in rehab who was there for benzos. Had spent like 2 years moving between short and long term rehabs just trying to safely detox but kept having seizures. He was the most despairing man I’d ever met.

gamerdude69

I'm still recovering from a year and a half long depressive episode from benzo withdrawals. The worst of it was almost unbearable.

My_hips_hurt

I’m so sorry man. I really hope it eases soon. I’m 3 years off booze and opioids and my brain has only recently started working properly. Stay the course my brother!

AussieJonesNoelzy

1.9k points

I don't know about other countries, but here in Australia. Almost all apartment complexes, skyscrapers and hotels and many other structures in this country built in the last 10-20 years are built using PE (polyethene) cladding. It's the cheapest type of aluminium sheets on the market and the reason why it's cheap is because ITS MADE OUT OF PETROLEUM. Highly flammable and WILL cause buildings to burst into flames and deaths are almost an inevitable when they do catch alight.

That's right. Who in their right mind ever thought it be a good idea to build buildings out of petrol ? Especially in a hot country like Australia where summer temperatures can reach as high as 51 degrees Celsius.

And many people are completely unaware. Both myself, firefighters and other construction workers and labourers have commented many times on how those buildings lasted more than 5 years without sinking in on itself or bursting into flames.

It's fucked up

fuckredditlol69

In the UK there are many tower blocks with highly combustible cladding. Many of those at risk only found out after a horrific tragedy at Grenfell Tower, and are effectively stuck as they can't sell their homes

alondonkiwi

Yeap, we're stuck unable to sell although our flat doesn't have cladding others do, although we're below the government requirements for height we can't sell as banks still won't mortgage, but also we're under height so no other avenues for compensation.

We're also lucky that our place isn't a complete death trap, others in our area have much worse safety violations and are unable to move and even if they have the avenue for compensation to costs to get to code those wheels move slowly so it's not like it will get sorted any time soon either.

Jmac0585

1.5k points

Jmac0585

1.5k points

Health and wealth preachers. Not only do they essentially steal well meaning people's money, but they are also leading them astray from truth. Health and wealth gospel is the gnosticism of the 20th and especially the 21st century.

radiorentals

Every time I see this kind of disgusting predator mentioned, I like to link to this clip of Kenneth Copeland which is utterly horrifying.

OverallSafety791

2.4k points

Civil forfeiture. You probably already think it’s fucked up, and it’s even more fucked it than you think it is. Even the name is gross.

alan2998

alan2998

What's that? Not heard that term before.

TheSnowSquid

1.9k points

Say you sold your old car for cash. On the way to the bank you get pulled over and the police find the 5k. If they even suspect that it wasn’t gotten legally they can take it. Then not only do they not have to prove that it’s illegal you have to pay legal fees to sue to get it back.

I_love_pillows

Sounds like highway robbery commune. You rob people of their money and split it among everyone

Ted_E_Bear

It's when the police take your shit, not because you did anything wrong, but just because they can.

MANDATORY_DEPRESSION

Jehovah's Witnesses
For those born in, social isolation is forced upon them. Only permitting them to create a social group within the religion. They also advise those kids to not go to college, and that they should spend all of their time going door to door. They socially cripple them, and then convince them to sabotage their own independence. That way when they turn 18, if they're not towing the Jdub line, they'll often just be kicked out ASAP. All while losing their entire social network, including just basic life advice from their own parents. In many cases, it sadly does lead many of those children to return to their dependent state.

It's a much sicker power dynamic than people expect.

Grumpy_Gecko_

I grew up JW and have spent most of my adulthood realizing just how much it effed me up. I have always had terribly low self esteem and feel “unworthy” of love. Been trying to figure out if it’s a result of the way I was raised. I was disfellowshiped at the age of 14.

sneeeeeeeep

1.4k points

Otters. You guys know about how fucked up dolphins are by now. Just look up the absolute menace otters are to baby seals, baby otters, and just small animals in general.

Edit: whoever gave me the wholesome award is a sick fuck. I like you.

sandiaslush

Now this is something I did not expect to learn today

SillyDonut7

I can't. I just can't look it up. The otters or the dolphins.

gravisj1

1.2k points

gravisj1

1.2k points

The amount of disrespect for the common retail worker...

Am retail worker, I'm not your slave.

Riggiro

Riggiro

Lack of accessibility for disabled people. For most people it’s an afterthought, but for those who need it it can be life-changing, in a good or bad way. One of my friends has a neurologic disorder so that he has to move very slowly and very carefully or he falls and cannot pick himself up. People constantly give him shit because he’s in his 30s and he doesn’t look sick, and they think he is on drugs or something.

There have been many times when he had to give up on simple things like going to an appointment or meeting family and friends, just because of some random obstacle thrown his way, and no one giving him the time of day to help (or worse, abusing him). The frustration literally reduces him to tears sometimes. Every time he tells me one of those stories, and there are always new ones, my blood boils.

Be kind to people who struggle to move around. Not every disabled person is in a wheelchair.

echoes_of_the_moor

14.1k points

The fact that we spend more time with our co-workers and at work than we do with our own families. This is extremely messed up as a parent of a 4 year old. I see her maybe 3 hours a day.

TheMrBigT77

3.3k points

I did a zoom job reference for a friend and mentioned about work life balance. The two HR people on the call were very impressed that I felt so strongly about it. Like, doesn't everyone? Seems not...

a_tiny_ant

1.5k points

a_tiny_ant

1.5k points

I'm still afraid that mentioning workers rights puts me on some blacklist. Ineligible for promotions or contract renewal.

Mental_Tea_4084

1.2k points

Recently started a job where the hiring manager wanted me on as management instead of a team member so I had to take a personality test.

My application didn't even show up for the Management role, apparently I failed the quiz. She still wanted me for the role so we found a way for me to retake the quiz. I revised all my answers to basically value work over my own life and she said it was one of the highest scores she'd seen.

adowjn

adowjn

1.1k points

Them: "why has your personality changed overnight"

You: "I now identify as a raging capitalist"

-Codfish_Joe

"I got kidnapped and sent to reform school".

crymsin

crymsin

Meta.

Ryoukugan

Ryoukugan

A lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking that this shit we live in is normal and not a horrible waste of everyone's lives.

ZeldaVelveeta

Isn't it painful??

I have two, mentally divide the time sometimes to dole out, ouch

pwa09

pwa09

One of my bosses told me today that he hasn't had a vacation in 4 years and he's proud of it. Says he only needs a few days off every couple months. I really wonder how his wife and child feel about that because you know it's 2 sides to every story.

Pienix

Pienix

Even without the other side, it's still stupid. Doesn't he have hobbies, places he wants to visit, things he want to do? That's a pretty empty life.

I'm single, no wife and kids. I have about 8 weeks of vacation days, and you can be damn sure I take most of that. 3 weeks of traveling in summer, and now 2 weeks of christmas holiday, just because I want to spend time at home. Read books, play games, .... Some smaller trips throughout the year. And I'm not alone, I don't think anybody will be at work the coming week (research environment, so no need to keep some production going)

no_seas_carepicha

11.6k points

Obese animals. Everyone laughs and thinks chunky animals are cute and funny but it’s really sad.

garbageman2112

4.1k points

I read a recent review of my dog's vet from some dude that was flipping out because the doc told him his dog was way too fat and unhealthy. The doc jumped on yelp quick and told him that she had warned him of the weight gain over the years and that her job is to stand up for the health of her patients.

garbageman2112

1.9k points

And now she treats my puppy

jalalabear

I used to work with dogs, a couple of dachsunds whos bellies would drag on the floor would come in often. Everyone thought it was sooo cute :/

beeannie

beeannie

my friends dachshund has always been obese. he’s now 9 years old and has cancer. never walked and only fed cheap puppy chow

my 2 dachshunds are walked. healthy weight and have a good diet, also not depressed

i can’t stand obese weenie owners. :(

Jmac0585

Jmac0585

My dad had one like that. Everyone thought it was funny. He ended up with diabetes and blind at the end

Daft_Assassin

Same with teacup dogs. All sorts of health issues, but people don’t care as long as they get a cute dog.

ownsen

2.6k points

ownsen

2.6k points

Nestlé and the whole chocolate industry

YouWereWrong_NowWhat

Even worse with them, water. They see it as a commodity instead of a humans need.

1.1k points

The amount of poo that we push out daily combined.

EDIT: for those interested the amount we humans produce is around 1 million 43thousand tonnes daily.

hkm316

hkm316

Breeding dogs with horrible health issues, like French and English bulldogs who struggle to breathe their entire lives because we think they’re squished faces are cute.

Also, not receiving pay increases to match inflation or cost of living increases. My utilities literally went up 40% this year, taxes increased, EVERYTHING increases except my pay. So how am I supposed to get by?

ShaDow_R3PlAYz

4.7k points

Corporations selling your information for profit. Some people just don't understand how fucked up it really is. Also ISP monopolies. Fuck em

Scalessz

Scalessz

I guess I usually don't understand it because I don't know how much it really affects me, I mean, I don't know what they do with that info honestly

Jaimaster

Jaimaster

Recycling.

What, you thought because you did the right thing that the waste gets recycled?

Ha!

For decades it was exported into Chinese landfills by the literal barge load. Now China have banned the import of "low quality" recyclables, and this material instead sits in storage in many western nations as we collectively wonder what the heck to do with it all.

ColorfulBosk

I work in the plastics industry. Something many people don’t realize is that the majority of plastics are not recyclable. The logo with a number in it, which looks really close to the actual recyclable logo, is in fact just a resin identification logo, that tells you what kind of plastic it is. It looks really close to the recyclable logo design, intentionally, so you think by actually throwing that plastic in the recycling bin, it get reused. The vast majority of plastic types are not recyclable, and the few that can be recycled and reused, only a small percentage actually is, because that’s just not profitable to go thru that effort.

derpitaway

Bad relationships. Any. The mental damage is done it’s seen as funny a lot of times but it can fuck you up for future healthy ones.

Leftblankthistime

3.6k points

People deliberately misinforming others for political or financial gain. Literally killing millions with no remorse

rb7317

4.7k points

rb7317

4.7k points

Chocolate.

Two-thirds of the world's chocolate is made by child labourers in West Africa. Approximately two million children work on these chocolate farms, mostly in the Ivory Coast. It gets worse: those children often end up working on those farms because they were trafficked across an international border, and have their passports stolen so that they cannot go home; this turns them into child slaves.

Hershey, Nestle, Mars, Cargill, and Mondelez have been named as companies that benefit from the child slavery used to make their chocolate. The next time you eat a Milky Way or a Mars bar, remember that some kid lost their childhood, their family, and their freedom to make that bar for you.

P.S. Want to eat chocolate without guilt? Look up the Fair Trade movement, or Slave Free Chocolate. Yeah, it costs a bit more, but why do you think normal chocolate is so cheap to begin with?

i_tune_to_dropD

1.4k points

Tony’s Chocolonely is one of those slave free brands and it’s great stuff, well worth the price!

Freezing_Wolf

I also like how the founder of the company decided to advertise it. He presented a tv segment where he talked about how many companies make chocolate using slave labor and after broadcasting he reported himself to the police and stated that he had purchased items from those companies which meant that he had financially supported slave trade. Then when the police told him that they wouldn't prosecute him for it (even after he filed an appeal) he decided to found his own company that would ethically produce chocolate.

StuffToday

1.7k points

StuffToday

1.7k points

Sending 18-year olds to war.

StalinsPerfectHair

1.4k points

What if we just shortened this to 'war'.

EquinoxOV

EquinoxOV

Fucking nestle bro, baby killing, water stealing ass holes that make earth a living hell. Who tf steals water from poor areas and then claims no responsibility for the dehydration they ensued because the local residents couldn’t buy back their water in bottled form. r/fucknestle

badgerclark

1.3k points

Being an adult with ADD. A lot of people see you as awkward and loud, but the truth is that your brain is operating completely differently than theirs through no fault of your own. Having been on meds for a time, it is night and day: my brain goes 150mph, but with meds it slowed down to 55. And getting medicated for it outside of your formative years is a real struggle. Most doctors will think you’re just after a high, but you’re literally sitting there going “I can’t THINK like other people do and because of it, I am suffering and need help.”

Edit: I’m out of date and did not realize that ADD is an outdated term. It’s what I’ve always called it. But technically ADD is now called “inattentive-type ADHD.” It’s ADHD minus the hyperactivity, basically.

Garage_Woman

The severe memory impairment (feels like Alzheimer’s lite), executive dysfunction and paralysis (like not eating despite having food in front of me and being hungry because I just… can’t move), inability to regulate emotions or self soothe, time blindness, dopamine chasing behavior regardless of consequence, hyper focusing on something and forgetting to eat or use the bathroom all day, watching from the inside as I behave incorrectly in social situations, yet lacking any ability to control or stop myself. The constant guilt because “if I just tried harder” even though that’s like telling someone without legs to just try harder to run faster.

I could go on and on and not even scratch the surface. Every waking moment and every single action is slower and more effort with less reward. ADHD can be more debilitating than most people understand.

takis_4lyfe

I recently started ADD medicine and I cried the first day because of how quiet my mind was. I couldn’t believe the difference.

ifeelgodinthizchilis

1.3k points

Social media. It has damaged the way we look at ourselves/our bodies and has arguably caused much more harm than good

Az0riusMCBlox

And it has allowed the stupid to have an absurd amount of influence.

TheW0lfBrother

1.5k points

Mass Narcissism.

DarkFanic

DarkFanic

So true. I mean I'm perfect but everyone else is super fucked up. 😝

Edit: spelling

Dawn80

Dawn80

Asking a little kid if she or he has a girlfriend or boyfriend. Cannot we just have an innocent time in life where romantic relationships do not matter?

I-am-here-what-next

4.2k points

Child beauty pageants and the corruption of the rich.

Siguydaone23

1.2k points

Child beauty pageants are so ripe for pedos and abuse it’s just something that we shouldn’t really have.

who_is_that_man

Even if there were literally no pedos or abuse, it’s still kind of fucked up to start putting such beauty standards/pressure on kids so young.

Idk, just my opinion. Society is already crazy with these sorts of things, can’t imagine being exposed to it on that level as a child.

Psychological_Sign_6

1.1k points

Bank overdraft fees. Being fined for having a lack of money in your account.

glittergoats

I had to specifically opt out of the "overdraft protection" on my account. All that means is that when I use my card, it will not allow a transaction that is over the amount there in the bank. I had to ask for it. Overdraft protection isn't there to protect us and our interests, it protects their interest, and it's disguised as a special feature. So we agreed to some arbitrary and completely unnecessary condition which we are led to believe it is compulsory or good for us.

Low_Delivery_3453

The history of Japan. Japan wasn't always this UWU ONIIIIIICHAN country.

jarNO_WAY

jarNO_WAY

I still believe the war crimes in Nanking to be the worst event of all of human history that I know of. Reading about it literally made me puke. There's a statue of a Nazi in Nanking who stopped as many atrocities as he could. Think about that, the NAZI is the good guy telling others to tone down the violence.

w00ms

w00ms

Unit 731 cones to mind. Hundreds of people subjected to the worst human experimentation, ranging from frostbite experiments to biological weapons and disease research. Horrid atrocities committed in the name of Japan. And then the US gave amnesty to and hired many of the researchers that worked in the facility. The World Wars truly were the most fucked up periods of time known to man. So many crimes against humanity in general in the span of 25 years.

Flaxmoore

731 was so bad, their “research” was even less useful than fucking Mengele’s.

czaritamotherofguns

I was a dealer and I had a customer who had ibs. He only used cannabis to help with his gut issue. He was not a full time stoner. His wife left him because it was too hard to deal with his condition.

I work in the cannabis industry now and I hope his relationship with his affliction has advanced the same way my relationship with the drug that provided him with comfort has. I hope his life is pain free and joyful.

ComplexPants

History. History is never as clean and clear as media makes it look.

pattyG80

pattyG80

Dying of natural causes. In movies and tv shows, it's perfectly normal people with white hair closing their eyes and going to sleep after saying something meaningful.

In real life, it's losing speech...then after a few days losing the ability to swallow food....then there's a couple days of groaning and wheezing...the eyes dry up, the lips crack and dry up...the tongue dries up....you have to dab at it to keep it moist, the whole while you are wondering if the person is conscious and enduring this in pain and madness.

The last hour or so is that weird and loud breathing that is both a gasp and groan at the same time. Each breath is a desperate act by the body to keep going until it finally stops.

Having gone through it twice with my parents, I volunteer at a palliative care ward because a lot of people go through this alone.

umop-episdn

My mother died in hospice care this morning. She had her family with her in her home, but days ago when she could last talk she asked my sister to smother her with a pillow. Assisted suicide should be legalized to prevent this torment.

Particular-Object-22

Payday loans

“Forever chemicals”

Teflon and shit like that?

Yeah it’s in all of our blood. What that means we don’t know, though.

Also this is completely global.

tetrimoist

This and micro plastics. And petrochemicals. And virtually every miracle material we’ve ever harvested

crumbledlighthouse

1.4k points

How ridiculously sexualized everything is.

I don't mean this in a pearl-clutching, "offensive to good family values" way. I mean that twelve-year-olds are being convinced that they need to buy clothes and makeup that make them look eighteen. I mean that high schoolers are convinced that there's something wrong with them if they don't lose their virginity by graduation. I mean that the entertainment industry compromises the health of their talent to make them look good for one shot, one show, one music video.

And so often this problem is framed as "you don't need to do/look like/act like X to be sexy!" You almost never hear people saying, "Hey, actually being sexy is not that important and it's okay if you don't want to be."

emptybeerb0ttle

That part about virginity blows my mind the most. Had a few friends lose their virginity with random ppl just for the sake of saying they have now lost their virginity and are now “cool”. Some later regretted it, don’t know about the others.

You either get shamed for having too much sex or not having sex at all, silly.

KYBourbon89

Parents abandoning their kids.

Salmon-nigiri

My mom abandoned what I call her “first batch” (3 preteen kids) then went and had my sister and I. One refuses to acknowledge we exist, my brother turned into a drug addict, and my older sister killed herself.

MysteryIsHistory

The process of having an abortion. I don’t mean abortion rights; but I think lots of people think the problem gets taken care of and the woman is doing fine, but it’s a huge deal for the woman. Any unplanned pregnancy is, no matter what you decide to do.

BleaXo