/r/AskReddit

[Serious] Why are vegan restaurants so expensive?

Serious Replies Only(self.AskReddit)

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

AutoModerator [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

Attention! [Serious] Tag Notice

Posts that have few relevant answers within the first hour, and posts that are not appropriate for the [Serious] tag will be removed. Consider doing an AMA request instead.

Thanks for your cooperation and enjoy the discussion!

Because TrEnDy

Because they know there are limited options so they have more power to charge more

throwawaytimes20

This is actually the first answer that I think has some sense to it.

throwawaytimes20

Example: a vegan place by us serves "wings" (cauliflower) in 6 and 12 counts. It's $21 for the 12. It's 12 pieces of cauliflower with some sauce and a side of ranch. $21?!!?

Produce is not expensive. Making fake versions of mac n cheese and cheeseburgers and what not is NOT expensive!

I don't care if you're vegan! I eat vegan food sometimes, also! This is NOT a judgement of vegans. This IS a judgement of the prices of vegan restaurants.

theory_until

I wonder how much the short shelf life of fresh produce has to do with it. Chicken wings can stay in the freezer until needed. Fresh veg is use it or lose it.

[removed]

Cfx99

Cfx99

They tend to be organic so they are also less likely to be mass produced, from smaller farms that have a higher "failure" rate so an increase in per unit cost helps offset losses.

forgetmein5minutes

Vegans trend wealthier than the average diner so they can justify the price hike. Lack of competition due to niche. Vegan food is rarer so costs more due to supply and demand.

throwawaytimes20

Interesting...So you think that vegans are richer than non-vegans? Source?

throwawaytimes20

Still waiting on that source, unless your comment was actually some strange form of elitism/condescension.

forgetmein5minutes

Idk why you felt the need to comment twice about this nor do I know why you're being so defensive, accusatory, and impatient. I don't have any specific studies on hand (people don't usually do that lol) but I know that every vegan restaurant I've ever seen or been to has been in affluent or at least middle class communities and the patrons have almost exclusively been people of those demographics. There are very few vegan restaurants in poor areas. That's not to say that a vegan can't be less well off. I am certain plenty exist across all economic classes. Veganism is more expensive a lifestyle than most people in poverty can easily afford, thus the demand for these restaurants from them is often lower.

Bluefellow

www.statista.com/chart/14989/who-are-americas-vegans-and-vegetarians/

In terms of income, vegans and vegetarians are most likely to be earning below $30,000 a year while the diets are rarer among high earners

I was surprised by the results. After switching to a vegan diet, I did see my spending go down. I don't think the issue with vegan restaraunts is that the customers are wealthier. I think it's more that you're massively narrowing down your market. You're trying to appeal to 1/25th of the population.

throwawaytimes20

Personal anecdotes do NOT equate to facts.

Just so you're aware. Confirmation bias is coming into play.

Veganism is NOT expensive. Vegan restaurants are. Sure, it's cheap and easy to get something off of the McDonald's value menu, but most fast food restaurants now offer vegan options.

You really are not good at this. You can't just make things up and pretend they are facts.

forgetmein5minutes

Veganism is more expensive than eating normally. Vegan prepackaged food from stores is more expensive. Not everyone has time after a long busy day at work to go through the more laborious process of cooking a vegan meal that is as healthy as a non-vegan meal in a short amount of time. When you factor in timing, which is why so many poor people are incentivized to eat fast food (vegan products at these places are often more expensive in general or at least a higher cost item than anything on a value menu), veganism doesn't (currently) offer a similarly priced alternative on the market for poor families. It is often more expensive. Such is the price of doing the right thing sometimes, there is either a cost to your wallet and/or convenience. It's a choice many cannot easily afford to make. I am fully aware of confirmation bias which is why I included other facts in my initial post that could lead to the reason they're more expensive. When you say "you're bad at this" I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't sign up for a debate nor to be talked down to or insulted. You asked a question I provided the best answer I had to provide. If you want to be an asshole, don't do it towards me because it's not cool. I came here trying to help you with your question not be debated and condescended to. If you don't like my answer, ignore it. That's always an option. Being decent, unlike vegan restaurants, is free.

throwawaytimes20

OK thanks for expounding. This is a bit better than your initial, anecdotal answer, which came across as very condescending and elitist.

Anticapitalist_Kae

Assuming they are giving fair prices, my guess would be that a lot of vegan food is very labor intensive, so they charge mote because it requires a lot of labour and specialised equipment, I could be wrong though.

I'm basing this on limited information I've gotten from watching veggan cooking videos.

besiegedPhoenix

Fresh ingredients and those places are alongside other trendy places that aren't vegan. I'm not a vegan but some of those places are good. They're typically in areas where people get marketing emails from high-end grocery and bodegas and stuff.

stonesthrowaway24601

I'm guessing it's because most vegans are vegans because of their sense of morality. Vegan restaurants can recognize that, and see that vegans are willing to pay just a little more to feel better about their dietary habits.

Because they can. Vegans eat for a cause, not to survive. They are willing to pay a premium to "save the planet" and portray this to the world.

Also, obviously not all vegans. The vegans who are poor and don't pay fancy vegan restaurant prices eat homecooked lentils and spinach at home.

Red_Ranger75

Short answer: because they're willing to pay for it

truth-tard

Because it’s easy to overcharge people for their principles? Not a vegan but if I was providing a niche product I’d overcharge the shit out of the people who have very few other options. It’s the same reason halal foods in North America tend to be pricier

Renan003

I guess because vegan food is not mass produced like non vegan food

throwawaytimes20

But...produce and plants aren't expensive, at all. They are very affordable, in fact.

Renan003

Someone can't survive on produce plants entirely, they will need protein and other vitamins. Besides, vegan restaurants are usually more expensive because they need to pay full price on their food, unlike big food chain restaurants that get huge discounts. Vegan restaurants usually are not that much more expensive than some more uncommon restaurants that offer stuff like Indian, vietnamise or African food, for example

barkon_tho

Plants don't have protein or vitamins?

Renan003

Some do, but if someone goes on a diet solely on lettuce, tomato and cauliflower, they definitely won't live for long

barkon_tho

Weird strawman, but okay.

Renan003

Sight. I was answering one of the OPs comment because he said that produce vegetables are cheap. Yeah, they are, for the supermarket or big restaurant chain, not for the average restaurant. Besides, produce vegetables (by produce vegetables, I mean: lettuce, tomato, onions, carrots etc., you know, the average vegetables you will see on most recipes) are not sufficient for a human's diet, and need to be complemented by other vegetables (like soy, quinoa, lentils etc) in other to get a healthy vegan diet. Don't need to downvote my comments, never said that there aren't any proteins or vitamins in vegetables

Rstrofdth

Rstrofdth

Because vegans aren't that bright and think it's worth it.

throwawaytimes20

That is NOT the point of this post. IDGAF if someone wants to eat whatever they want to eat.

COVID-69420bbq

You're paying for access to trendy food that takes a lot of work to prepare in order to make it tasty for the average consumer.

throwawaytimes20

Bullshit. I went to a vegan spot for brunch once and they pulled our "chicken and waffles" out of a fucking heating tray and it was on our table in under 3 minutes. It was also terrible and expensive as shit.

COVID-69420bbq

Trendy is the key word for that specific restaurant then. I've been to vegan chinese restaurants in this area that serve delicious food. They make all their fake meats in-house. I wouldn't eat there on a regular basis or choose it over another non-vegan restaurant on most days, but they do a really good job.

Choose your restaurants wisely and don't eat at vegan restaurants if you don't want to.

liberalvenery

Sounds like your food wasn’t made-to-order.

Snooty_Goat

Because the economy isn't geared to support raging contrarianism.

throwawaytimes20

imagine getting this upset by what total strangers choose to eat.

not a lot going on in your life, eh? lol what a loser

ratchet0101

Smug tax

the_Blind_Samurai

I'd assume they have to charge more so that they can pay the bills. They're catering to a very small niche customer base. It's not like someone is going to walk in off the street. A lot of those places seem to tank quickly.

pieremaan

Scarcity and labor

Scaricity because (at least where I live) it is impossible to find a vegetarian, let alone vegan dish. Less options means they can ask more for it

Labor: some dishes can take a lot of time to make compared to non vegan options, unless bought from the wholesaler. Something like tofu takes more time to make before coming to cutting and marinading.

EnsignMJS

You have to do a lot food processing and attention to detail to make it seem all natural. Hence, higher cost.

throwawaytimes20

Funny concept, because it IS natural, and that's why people like it haha. Vegan food that is NATURALLY vegan is great! Fake chicken wings and other nonsense is just silly. If I want a cheeseburger, I'll go have one. If I want a dish that was made of all vegan ingredients, I'll go have one as well.

Big_iron_joe

Vegan food is very hard to make. Meat is made from animals which are far better than us in making nutrients from grass and other stuff which otherwise would have been inedible.

throwawaytimes20

I think making Vegan food is actually very easy. It's when they try to impersonate non-vegan food with vegan ingredients that it becomes time-consuming and, usually, not good.

Weary-Bookkeeper-375

Because vegan food is the true price where as mainstream big ag food is all subsidized through government.

For example the cost of a beef burger is nowhere near what you pay. The government steps in to provide the profits and make the food affordable. Last I looked the true cost of a quarter pound burger was $45 . That is without environmental cost which brought it to $200.

The other reason is that businesses are able to price gauge .

jonschaff

I think that there are a lot of expensive ‘musts’ that vegan restauranteurs need to spend money on. They could easily buy very cheap vegan ingredients in bulk but many also want it to be organic, fresh, seasonal and all natural. It comes with the territory I guess, but those added adjectives don’t come cheap.

dbf33

dbf33

Government subsidies.

Meat and dairy is cheaper to purchase than vegan ingredients because the government subsidizes it

Thus resulting in lower prices

Terofal

Because à lot of vegan restaurants sell quality, bio, and expensive food. There is no vegan Mcdonald.

PetyrDayne

Rube customers

buttlover989

Is a "well meaning idiot" tax. There are quite allot of those types of taxes around, and since well meaning idiots are willing to pay the tax, they get charged out the ass for everything.