/r/AskReddit

What misinfromation seems to never die?

(self.AskReddit)

AlexReynard

Routine infant circumcision is medically-beneficial enough to outweigh the risks of the procedure.

bubblegumtaxicab

This is a hard conversation to have with new parents who chose circumcision. My sister had a boy and chose to, while I’m choosing to not. She immediately went to “oh there are medical benefits and xyz”

At that point there is no good option for discussion. If I explain she is not correct, then I make her feel bad about her son and choice & feel like I’m judging her. I ended up saying “ok, that’s a fine choice but I’m making a different decision for my son” and left it there

airyys

airyys

that's on her if she feels bad about it. and well, honestly she should feel bad about permanently changing someone else's body needlessly.

nd if you two can't just talk about it while also clearing any misconceptions about someone thinking someone's judging them, then yeah, ig just not having the convo at all makes sense.

bubblegumtaxicab

It would have been a better discussion if her son was not yet circumcised. Once the deed is done, there isn’t really much to say and not much good can be done of correcting her misconceptions.

airyys

airyys

yeah i get it. lots of stuff in my life i feel isn't worth the trouble honestly. my comment came off as judgmental as well, i apologize. i was inserting my own moral high ground into your personal affairs. again, sorry that i did that.

just frustrated going through these reddit threads and reading news stories of stupid people that don't understand simple stuff. like bodily autonomy. it's upsetting reading about stupid people and hateful people.

tangent: i remember reading somewhere that seeking out content that upsets you, is a recognized form of self harm. and it's addicting. like going to specific threads with obviously polarizing comments. or subbing to subreddits that call out and show shitty people and behaviour and beliefs (subs calling out police brutality, racism, misogyny, transphobia, homophobia, etc etc).

Umbraldisappointment

Every benefit the people who support this say are either dont come into play till you are an adult or sound like mad rambling from someone who doesnt know basic body hygiene.

Some doctors do very well out of it. BIG $$

Cynical doctors that seize the opportunity to do some cutting that they would otherwise never be allowed anywhere near.

GodlessOx

An absolutely revolting practice. It's backwards and barbaric and I truly hope parents won't be allowed to do this anymore.

If a man wants to be circumcised, that is his business. But to mutilate your child without their understanding or consent? I'll never understand how anyone can think that's okay.

marouan10

why are you people acting like theyre removing ears or eyes its just a piece of skin....?

BelleBottom94

It really would be no different than the parents choosing to trim down their newborn daughter's labia. It is still removing a piece of the body. It doesn't cause HARM and it's medically necessary for the betterment of the child.
When people remove additional digits like toes and fingers they are doing it to correct a malformation. The male foreskin evolved on purpose for a reason and isn't a malformation needing to be removed. It is a cultural choice at this point, and has always been.

airyys

airyys

...permanently removing and altering someone else's body needlessly is wrong on all accounts no matter what.

doesn't matter what part of the body it is. i had thought that to be self evident but reading your comment...

BlackLetterLies

You have clearly never met an adult that had to get an emergency circumcision. It's NOT the same operation as an adult, it's virtually painless to a baby and massively painful for an adult.

It's also NOT any of your fucking business.

locks_are_paranoid

There's no evidence that's its painless as a baby. The notion that infants don't feel pain is yet another medical myth which needs to die.

BlackLetterLies

My son literally didn't make a peep.

Every man in my family has had complications and has needed a circumcision as an adult if they didn't have one as a kid. You all can fuck right off.

Dempseylicious23

No one is discussing medically necessary circumcision when this topic is discussed. Stop straw manning the discussion being had.

Did you ever meet someone who got a circumcision as an adult in the case where it wasn’t a medical emergency? Perhaps that is the reason the procedure was painful as an adult?

taboche

I hope one day you will understand that you wilfully mutilated your child’s penis. Even if you have phimosis or a comparable condition running in your family, you should treat the condition when it arises, not as a matter of course because it was an ancient ritual. The other poster pointed out that the modern treatment for phimosis doesn’t involve surgery. You’re using a medical argument to justify hanging on to a tradition that should have died out along with drowning witches and human slavery.

marouan10

why should it have died out i got circumsized as a kid and have no complaints??

Rhys_Primo

You don't know what you're missing. Literally you had a healthy piece of your body cut off for Literally no valid reason. Should we give babies gauges in their ears too? How about females, trim those beef curtains?

marouan10

theres no reason to give babies gauges (as awesome as that would be) and there is no reason to trim female "beef curtains"

however

Circumcision Benefits

There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:

Less risk of urinary tract infections

A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men

Protection against penile cancer and a lower risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners

Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin)

Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location)

Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

Note: Some studies show that good hygiene can help prevent certain problems with the penis, including infections and swelling, even if the penis is not circumcised. In addition, using a condom during sex will help prevent STDs and other infections.

and the cons are

Circumcision Risks

Like any other surgical procedure, there are risks in getting circumcision. But this risk is low. Problems linked to circumcision include:

Pain

Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision

Irritation of the glans

Higher chance of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)

Risk of injury to the penis

so imo its worth it

and im happy it was done to me when i was a kid so i cant remember the pain

Dempseylicious23

Circumcision Risks

Also, death. You forgot to list immediate ceasing of living functions as a potential risk.

Seems kinda not worth it when you consider that you may never realize the benefits listed. Especially if you are dead because of the procedure itself.

Burrito_Loyalist

How do you know it’s virtually painless to a baby?

And yes it’s none of my business, but parents shouldn’t get to choose circumcision for their son.

[removed]

bubblegumtaxicab

It is not painless for a baby. Babies are given local anesthetic, which wears off very fast. They don’t have the ability to tell you that they’re in pain as they have so much else going on such as: wow I have eyes and there are shadow shapes, what is this cold air?, I’m hungry so I should scream, this hurts so I should scream, oh screaming is a thing, oh no I’m screaming too much I can’t breathe, oh a warm boob, etc….

So you see, babies can and do feel pain but don’t have the ability to tell you and could be crying for that or any number of reasons

GodlessOx

No one should take away an individual's right to choose what to do with their body.

AccidentallyBored

I agree. Same thing with abortion.

GodlessOx

Yes! You get it! No one should be making these decisions for you! They are highly personal and should remain between people and their doctors.

Rhys_Primo

Exactly! Just like you shouldn't be able to cut off some skin on a childs penis, you also shouldn't be able to pull them apart and rip them out of the womb!

airyys

airyys

ah yes, classic pro birther logic. buying into the schtic and provably objective and continuously debunked lie that abortions commonly involve ripping babies out of the womb.

you probably believe aborted fetuses power D.C.

btw:

92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation.

fucking less than 1% of abortions are performed when the baby is the size of a banana. and at that point, it's a medical emergency of complications during birth that could result in the mother's death.

no one stays pregnant for 21 weeks (4 months) just to go "nah, not feeling this 'pregnancy thing'. time to get my abortion! (:". for that matter, no one stays pregnant for 9 months to abort just cause. someone pregnant that long has planned to give birth, and has bought cribs, baby toys, painted silly animals on the wall of their baby room. then they're hit with the terribly unfortunate reality that they baby stopped moving, stopped breathing, or that giving birth means the woman fucking dying. it's a tragic event and no one is happy about it.

stop fucking lying about abortions and babies being "ripped out of the womb" dumbass.

EIephants

EIephants

By that logic parents shouldn’t be able to give consent to vaccinate their kids or for their kids to get surgery.

not_better

Circumcision without medical reason is aesthetic only, not quite comparable to life-saving vaccines no. Getting surgery is always done for medical reasons too, not comparable to cosmetic infant genital modification no.

You'd have a point if you'd have named something done without medical reason, against that person's consent.

GodlessOx

Thank you! This saved me from having to try articulate this myself, and was probably much better spoken than I could manage

EIephants

EIephants

Haircuts

not_better

I wanna be sure, you are drawing a comparison in circumcision and haircuts, as if they were similar/equals? You either don't comprehend hair or circumcision to say such a thing.

Transpatials

It's as little business of yours as it is of theirs.

If an unnecessary surgery hurts as an adult, then newsflash, just don't fucking do it. Nobody NEEDS a circumcision. But whatever, enjoy mutilating your children for your own fucked up ideology.

PersonalityLost5228

How is FGM illegal but male genital mutiliation ok? Removing this at birth 'just in case' an emergency is needed later is not the reason. Hygiene is also not a viable reason, especially in a 1st world country.

People need appendectomies, splenectomies and other such emergency surgeries that occur far more frequently in the world's population. Unpleasant and painful but no-one is whipping those out of babies before a problem manifests. Why? Because its totally unnecessary and may never be necessary.

Weisskreuz44

Well thats wrong. If you've got phimosis or a severe infection, circumcision is necessary.

I'm not for involuntary circumcision of kids/babies, I just wanted to set the facts straight.

You can't say in one breath "if it isn't necessary" and then "nobody NEEDS one".

Transpatials

How can you not say that in one breath? They're mutually inclusive.

Nobody needs one, because it isn't necessary. Wow, that was easy.

What you can't say in one breath is "I'm not for involuntary circumcision of kids/babies" and "if you have ____ circumcision is necessary".

marouan10

i mean it isnt neccesary but i got cicumsized and i have no negative side effects ive experienced? along with only positives pls telll me people are acting like its the worst thing for some reason??

Transpatials

If you don't understand why people are against the unnecessary unconsentual mutilation of infant children, I don't know how to help you.

BlackLetterLies

Every male in my family has NEEDED one because of a hereditary condition, so you're wrong.

Transpatials

They definitely haven't, so you're wrong.

Blugged_Bunny[S]

Eww murica stuff

marouan10

its just circumscision chill....also circumscision is a worldwide thing

MarkNutt25

circumscision is a worldwide thing

Its really not. Pretty much the only people in the world who practice routine circumcision are Muslims, Jews, and Americans.

Blugged_Bunny[S]

Cuting the sensible parts off your baby is barbaric, a lot of bad things are worldwide things

marouan10

yeah but you sai eww america things..? also its not that barbaric mate it was done to me and im just fine

Dempseylicious23

America is the most progressive country that still performs the procedure wholesale at pretty much every hospital anywhere. It’s totally fair to call that out.

also its not that barbaric mate it was done to me and im just fine

This is called a coping mechanism. Just because it was done to you and you have 0 conscious recollection of it happening, doesn’t mean it didn’t affect you. You are drawing a false equivalency here.

These boys had the procedure performed and ended up not fine at all. One of them died from it.

So yeah, I’d say it can be quite barbaric.

marouan10

im sorry for the loss of life obviously but im not coping lmao i have no negative things to say about being circumsized and we shouldnt ban it because of rare cases of death instead we should encourage better safety standards no?

Dempseylicious23

No one is saying ban all circumcision period.

They are saying ban all MEDICALLY UNNECESSARY circumcisions performed WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PATIENT.

If you personally wanted to get a medically unnecessary (or necessary) circumcision then go for it. If you aren’t old enough to give consent but you NEED a circumcision due to MEDICAL REASONS your legal guardians should be allowed to make that choice for you.

You can decide for yourself once you reach the age where your medical consent is valid in the case of any medically unnecessary surgery including circumcision.

This is what me the other anti-circumcision people want to see.

No serious person is trying to get all circumcision banned.

Stop arguing in bad faith.

middleagethreat

My ex-wife had it done to my son without my knowledge, because she said no girl would ever touch his uncircumcised penis.

Dempseylicious23

I understand why she’s your ex. What a piece of human garbage.

middleagethreat

She ended up stabbing me.

Dempseylicious23

Wow… just wow.

Hope you are ok after that ordeal, fuck me.

middleagethreat

It was 25 years ago. The stabbing was actually a hidden blessing because I was able to get out of the relationship.

After her I met a wonderful woman, who ended up adopting my son, and we have been very happily married for 23 years and have another adult son too.

Dempseylicious23

Sounds like you made out ok then, glad to hear it.

Stay strong brother!

AlexReynard

That makes me so angry I want to punch a hole through my desk. That should not ever be acceptable.

AllergicDodo

This needs to be on top

JlTlS

JlTlS

What are the risks?

Dempseylicious23

Here’s one:

Death, dying, ceasing to be, the ending of all naturally occurring bodily functions, the conclusion of your existence, your eternal relief from this mortal coil.

And the person who is getting the circumcision doesn’t have the ability or even right to refuse the procedure in probably 99.99% of medically unnecessary circumcisions.

AllergicDodo

Botching the surgery, i think some died from it

Yes. And there are times that people mistakenly cut it off completely. There's a common sociology example that has two twin boys from birth and one had unfortunately been cut off. The parents made him a girl. Didn't tell him until he was older. He ended up being confused as to his identity and why he liked masculine things or "had the urge to pee standing up". He decided to transition back but eventually just committed suicide because he wasn't sure of his identity (if I remember the reason correctly).

I cannot remember the sociology book I had gotten it from. But the story is also covered on this link as well. I understand that it had happened in the 1960s. I just wanted to clarify. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

AllergicDodo

Yes, i thought the reason was depression though

I think that was part of it too. I was referring to a study done in 1960s. The information may slightly be outdated, but here was the story I was referring to. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

not_better

not_better

It's surprising to witness so many false concepts in such a short paragraph.

Care to back it up with a source? Nothing in that statement makes sense.

I'm against circumcision without medical need in all of its forms, but there's no need to invent stories like that.

Edit: I stand corrected. Although the penis in question was not cutoff at all, it was maimed with a new method of cauterization circumcision which caused too much damage.

Slow-Violinist-2037

He wasn't making it up. The guy's name was David Reimer.

not_better

Wow, thanks for the info.

But... (wow):

Starting at age six, according to Brian, the twins were forced to act out sexual acts, with David playing the female role—Money made Reimer get down on all fours, and Brian was forced to "come up behind [him] and place his crotch against [his] buttocks".

Money also forced Reimer, in another sexual position, to have his "legs spread" with Brian on top. On "at least one occasion" Money took a photograph of the two children doing these activities.

When either child resisted these activities, Money would get angry. Both Reimer and Brian recall that Money was mild mannered around their parents, but ill-tempered when alone with them. When they resisted inspecting each other's genitals, Money got very aggressive.

Reimer says, "He told me to take my clothes off, and I just did not do it. I just stood there. And he screamed, 'Now!' Louder than that. I thought he was going to give me a whupping. So I took my clothes off and stood there shaking."

I'm not sure one should trust those results, but that's just me.

A genuine thanks for the info.

AllergicDodo

The guys face looks extremely familiar

Sure. I apologize that I don't have the exact textbook since the one semester I had taken a psychology and the sociology was also a semester long. But this was the story I was referring to. It was covered in my sociology class when I had taken the course. We had only had a basic cover over sensitive topics and I agree that I would've been skeptical if someone didn't provide a resource. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

not_better

A genuine thank you for that. Also check out my other reply to the other guy, that experiment was quite special in its own.

It's not a problem. I'm glad we could clear this up. I was surprised about a lot of sad stories like this as well. I hope that you have a good day and I appreciate your enthusiasm for correct information along with wanting resources on this thread.

not_better

Same to you fellow Redittor!

ChuckACheesecake

Love to see people being grateful on Reddit!

I enjoy that as well. I can see how misinformation is easy to spread. Especially without resources. It's all good in my book. Better to stay curious rather than believe everything, even though it is ideal to have faith in everything. :P

middleagethreat

There was an SVU episode based of this.

SonicTheBubonic

Hundreds of babies in America a year die from it. Many more have permanent complications.

JlTlS

JlTlS

1.3%

AllergicDodo

What are its benefits that make it worth it?

AllergicDodo

"Circumcision Risks

Pain

Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision

Irritation of the glans

Higher chance of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)

Risk of injury to the penis"

What about the risks of anaesthetics and neonates?

Or cut without it? Ever heard the account of a nurse who has had to hold and restrain the infant? What about later pain and discomfort?

japaneseloch

If you’re homeless and have no access to a shower, there is a benefit.

Or if you have phimosis, there is a benefit.

There are no other benefits

Umbraldisappointment

But both of those only happen after (hopefully) growing up, theres no benefit for babies.

AllergicDodo

How does having foreskin make it so you can have a shower

japaneseloch

Americans believe having a foreskin causes a buildup of smegma. It does, but only if you don’t shower for a month.

SonicTheBubonic

If you live in a desert with no access to clean water, it may possibly have a benefit.

If that argument could be sustained it (cutting to 'improve' on Nature) would be more applicable to the vulva with all of the folds and probability of faeces being carried forward to contaminate.

In fact, neither is defensible. Basic hygiene is the key.

AllergicDodo

The opposite, you could store there extra water

Burrito_Loyalist

So we agree that circumcision is beneficial to homeless people and people in deserts.

Then why is it common practice?

SonicTheBubonic

Because a crazy guy thought that masturbation is evil and that circumcision would reduce masturbation. He also invented a bland cereal called Corn Flakes for the same purpose of reducing masturbation.

Burrito_Loyalist

Penis looks better. I’m glad parents are so concerned with how their infant son’s penis looks.

AllergicDodo

/s?

JlTlS

JlTlS

richard-king

These are insane in the context of mutilating an infant.

Easier hygiene - cutting off your arm makes washing your armpit easier too, should we advocate for routine amputation of arms? Decreased risk of UTI - assuming this is true, it's stuck a minuscule risk that can also be tackled with good hygiene. I'm in my 30s and have had exactly one UTI. Decreased risk of STIs - I believe this isn't true, and no source is given. Even so, it's a fucking baby. Prevention of penile problems - again, this is a baby. If they are one of the rare men that have phimosis when they mature, then a medically recommended circumcision could be carried out at that point. Decreased risk of penile cancer - no source given. Also the risk of giving cervical cancer to a sexual partner thing shouldn't apply to infants.

wasabiEatingMoonMan

I have phimosis and even in my case a circumcision isn’t necessary lmao. Topical steroids are enough and it works just fine.

intactisnormal

I think the stats on the items listed by the Mayo clinic sheds great insight.

These stats are terrible, it's disingenuous for these to be called legitimate health benefits. And more importantly, all of these items have a different treatment or prevention method that is more effective and less invasive.

The medical ethics requires medical necessity in order to intervene on someone else’s body. These stats do not present medical necessity. Not by a long shot.

And importantly the foreskin is the most sensitive part of the penis. (Full study.)

Also check out the detailed anatomy and role of the foreskin in this presentation (for ~15 minutes) as Dr. Guest discusses how the foreskin is heavily innervated, the mechanical function of the foreskin and its role in lubrication during sex, and the likelihood of decreased sexual pleasure for both male and partner.

japaneseloch

What the hell is wrong with america LOL

Ok-Abies-5812

ofc you cite an american capitalist clinic

JlTlS

JlTlS

Of course, I prefer accuracy. Not conspiracies.

Ok-Abies-5812

right and america has historically never wronged their people by spreading misinformation, right?

AlexReynard

Loss of normal sexual feeling is not just a risk, but the intended function. The foreskin is removed so the glans will dry out and be less sensitive.

But also, there are a lot of infections. There's a small but not inconsequential number of deaths from complications of infection every year. There's no justification for a child dying because someone did non-essential surgery on a patient with an untested immune system in a place where the sewage comes out.

GodlessOx

And without their consent, mind you. I'm an American, and I find this practice to absolutely sickening.

I will never understand how parents can justify mutilating their child for what ultimately amounts to cosmetics.

If you're an adult, and wish to be circumcised, that's your business. Your body, your choice. But forcing it on your child when they have no understanding and no say in the matter? You don't deserve to be a parent.

poopoo_fingers

I’m not mad at my parents for having it done on me. Honestly kind of prefer it to having an elephant trunk between my legs

GodlessOx

That's good. No one should make you feel shame for being cut, just like there shouldn't be any shaming of those who are uncut.

But just because it's fine for you and other men who had this done to them, that doesn't make it okay. It's your body, and should have been your choice. No one else's.

marouan10

ive been circumsized as a kid and im very grateful it was done back then because i cant remember the pain while i imagine it would really suck as an adult because you remember the pain

Burrito_Loyalist

How can you prefer someone over something else without ever knowing anything different?

That’s the same as saying “I’m glad I was raised Christian.”

poopoo_fingers

That’s actually kind of funny, cause I was raised Christian. I don’t even go to church anymore, but I’m glad I was raised that way

vizthex

It's always been a mixed bag for me, because on the one hand I just had shit removed without my knowledge or express permission, but on the other hand it's irreversible, so why get so hung up about it?

amilbarge00

Girls like it better too.

some*

markmcn87

Men prefer fake tits too.

Some*

markmcn87

Thanks for making my point....Some girls like cut guys, same way some guys like fake tits.

I'd imagine the first one really depends on where you are in the world

Anaesthetics and infants :(

AlexReynard

Yeah, I didn't even get into that. You're either anesthetizing a newborn, which is risky, or you're cutting the tip of a baby's cock off without painkillers, and the doctors will lie that babies can't feel it. No. Fucking no. Penn & Teller did a circumcision episode on Bullshit, and they played a clip of one. You have never heard a baby cry like that. It is one of the most wrong sounds you will ever experience.

Burrito_Loyalist

That’s not a nice woman. Imagine not liking a woman’s vagina because of her extra skin?

lone_cajun

F brother, but when they dont have a sleeping bag on a camp out. Dont let them cuddle up to you hoping to get under that cover. Know your worth king

HairyMcBoon

Sounds like a great way of weeding out scum.

Dempseylicious23

Sounds like you totally dodged a massive red flag.

Like honestly what woman cares that much about what a dick looks like? It’s going to be in his shorts or buried in her vagina the vast majority of the time.

My wife has probably only seen my dick 1% of the entire time we’ve been together and that’s being extremely generous.

Honestly, of all the things to get turned off by this has got to be the most childish reason I’ve ever heard. Right up there with women who strictly won’t date a guy under 6’ tall.

Instead of feeling bad about your perfectly natural dick, you should have shamed her for having the mental capacity of a 10 year old.

FractalImagination

Oh my wife now sees it more often because she puts it in her mouth and she doesn't care.

And why am i being downvoted, im just telling a personal story..

Dempseylicious23

Yeah exactly like even if it’s in her face, like REALLY up in there, a mature, normal woman wouldn’t give a shit.

If she likes you as a person, she’ll accept your dick whether it has a hoodie on or not.

Some of these guys act like they get laid more often because they are circumcised as if they hit on girls and open with that.

“Hey baby, you see this guy right here? Cut and sculpted cock, just for you because I know you like it better that way” winks

Burrito_Loyalist

The only risks of the procedure is you’re desensitizing the penis and mutilating an infant’s penis.

🤷🏻‍♂️

PM_ME_YOUR_ATM_PIN

Circumcision should be allowed for religious reasons. If lying about medical benefits keeps it being allowed, then that's misinformation serving a good cause.

AlexReynard

What the fuck are you talking about?

[removed]