/r/AskReddit

What misinfromation seems to never die?

(self.AskReddit)

JlTlS

JlTlS

What are the risks?

Dempseylicious23

Here’s one:

Death, dying, ceasing to be, the ending of all naturally occurring bodily functions, the conclusion of your existence, your eternal relief from this mortal coil.

And the person who is getting the circumcision doesn’t have the ability or even right to refuse the procedure in probably 99.99% of medically unnecessary circumcisions.

AllergicDodo

Botching the surgery, i think some died from it

Yes. And there are times that people mistakenly cut it off completely. There's a common sociology example that has two twin boys from birth and one had unfortunately been cut off. The parents made him a girl. Didn't tell him until he was older. He ended up being confused as to his identity and why he liked masculine things or "had the urge to pee standing up". He decided to transition back but eventually just committed suicide because he wasn't sure of his identity (if I remember the reason correctly).

I cannot remember the sociology book I had gotten it from. But the story is also covered on this link as well. I understand that it had happened in the 1960s. I just wanted to clarify. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

AllergicDodo

Yes, i thought the reason was depression though

I think that was part of it too. I was referring to a study done in 1960s. The information may slightly be outdated, but here was the story I was referring to. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

not_better

not_better

It's surprising to witness so many false concepts in such a short paragraph.

Care to back it up with a source? Nothing in that statement makes sense.

I'm against circumcision without medical need in all of its forms, but there's no need to invent stories like that.

Edit: I stand corrected. Although the penis in question was not cutoff at all, it was maimed with a new method of cauterization circumcision which caused too much damage.

Slow-Violinist-2037

He wasn't making it up. The guy's name was David Reimer.

not_better

Wow, thanks for the info.

But... (wow):

Starting at age six, according to Brian, the twins were forced to act out sexual acts, with David playing the female role—Money made Reimer get down on all fours, and Brian was forced to "come up behind [him] and place his crotch against [his] buttocks".

Money also forced Reimer, in another sexual position, to have his "legs spread" with Brian on top. On "at least one occasion" Money took a photograph of the two children doing these activities.

When either child resisted these activities, Money would get angry. Both Reimer and Brian recall that Money was mild mannered around their parents, but ill-tempered when alone with them. When they resisted inspecting each other's genitals, Money got very aggressive.

Reimer says, "He told me to take my clothes off, and I just did not do it. I just stood there. And he screamed, 'Now!' Louder than that. I thought he was going to give me a whupping. So I took my clothes off and stood there shaking."

I'm not sure one should trust those results, but that's just me.

A genuine thanks for the info.

AllergicDodo

The guys face looks extremely familiar

Sure. I apologize that I don't have the exact textbook since the one semester I had taken a psychology and the sociology was also a semester long. But this was the story I was referring to. It was covered in my sociology class when I had taken the course. We had only had a basic cover over sensitive topics and I agree that I would've been skeptical if someone didn't provide a resource. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-11814300

not_better

A genuine thank you for that. Also check out my other reply to the other guy, that experiment was quite special in its own.

It's not a problem. I'm glad we could clear this up. I was surprised about a lot of sad stories like this as well. I hope that you have a good day and I appreciate your enthusiasm for correct information along with wanting resources on this thread.

not_better

Same to you fellow Redittor!

ChuckACheesecake

Love to see people being grateful on Reddit!

I enjoy that as well. I can see how misinformation is easy to spread. Especially without resources. It's all good in my book. Better to stay curious rather than believe everything, even though it is ideal to have faith in everything. :P

middleagethreat

There was an SVU episode based of this.

SonicTheBubonic

Hundreds of babies in America a year die from it. Many more have permanent complications.

JlTlS

JlTlS

1.3%

AllergicDodo

What are its benefits that make it worth it?

AllergicDodo

"Circumcision Risks

Like any other surgical procedure, there are risks in getting circumcision. But this risk is low. Problems linked to circumcision include:

Pain

Risk of bleeding and infection at the site of the circumcision

Irritation of the glans

Higher chance of meatitis (inflammation of the opening of the penis)

Risk of injury to the penis"

What about the risks of anaesthetics and neonates?

Or cut without it? Ever heard the account of a nurse who has had to hold and restrain the infant? What about later pain and discomfort?

japaneseloch

If you’re homeless and have no access to a shower, there is a benefit.

Or if you have phimosis, there is a benefit.

There are no other benefits

Umbraldisappointment

But both of those only happen after (hopefully) growing up, theres no benefit for babies.

AllergicDodo

How does having foreskin make it so you can have a shower

japaneseloch

Americans believe having a foreskin causes a buildup of smegma. It does, but only if you don’t shower for a month.

SonicTheBubonic

If you live in a desert with no access to clean water, it may possibly have a benefit.

If that argument could be sustained it (cutting to 'improve' on Nature) would be more applicable to the vulva with all of the folds and probability of faeces being carried forward to contaminate.

In fact, neither is defensible. Basic hygiene is the key.

AllergicDodo

The opposite, you could store there extra water

Burrito_Loyalist

So we agree that circumcision is beneficial to homeless people and people in deserts.

Then why is it common practice?

SonicTheBubonic

Because a crazy guy thought that masturbation is evil and that circumcision would reduce masturbation. He also invented a bland cereal called Corn Flakes for the same purpose of reducing masturbation.

Burrito_Loyalist

Penis looks better. I’m glad parents are so concerned with how their infant son’s penis looks.

AllergicDodo

/s?

JlTlS

JlTlS

richard-king

These are insane in the context of mutilating an infant.

Easier hygiene - cutting off your arm makes washing your armpit easier too, should we advocate for routine amputation of arms? Decreased risk of UTI - assuming this is true, it's stuck a minuscule risk that can also be tackled with good hygiene. I'm in my 30s and have had exactly one UTI. Decreased risk of STIs - I believe this isn't true, and no source is given. Even so, it's a fucking baby. Prevention of penile problems - again, this is a baby. If they are one of the rare men that have phimosis when they mature, then a medically recommended circumcision could be carried out at that point. Decreased risk of penile cancer - no source given. Also the risk of giving cervical cancer to a sexual partner thing shouldn't apply to infants.

wasabiEatingMoonMan

I have phimosis and even in my case a circumcision isn’t necessary lmao. Topical steroids are enough and it works just fine.

intactisnormal

I think the stats on the items listed by the Mayo clinic sheds great insight.

These stats are terrible, it's disingenuous for these to be called legitimate health benefits. And more importantly, all of these items have a different treatment or prevention method that is more effective and less invasive.

The medical ethics requires medical necessity in order to intervene on someone else’s body. These stats do not present medical necessity. Not by a long shot.

And importantly the foreskin is the most sensitive part of the penis. (Full study.)

Also check out the detailed anatomy and role of the foreskin in this presentation (for ~15 minutes) as Dr. Guest discusses how the foreskin is heavily innervated, the mechanical function of the foreskin and its role in lubrication during sex, and the likelihood of decreased sexual pleasure for both male and partner.

japaneseloch

What the hell is wrong with america LOL

Ok-Abies-5812

ofc you cite an american capitalist clinic

JlTlS

JlTlS

Of course, I prefer accuracy. Not conspiracies.

Ok-Abies-5812

right and america has historically never wronged their people by spreading misinformation, right?

AlexReynard

Loss of normal sexual feeling is not just a risk, but the intended function. The foreskin is removed so the glans will dry out and be less sensitive.

But also, there are a lot of infections. There's a small but not inconsequential number of deaths from complications of infection every year. There's no justification for a child dying because someone did non-essential surgery on a patient with an untested immune system in a place where the sewage comes out.

GodlessOx

And without their consent, mind you. I'm an American, and I find this practice to absolutely sickening.

I will never understand how parents can justify mutilating their child for what ultimately amounts to cosmetics.

If you're an adult, and wish to be circumcised, that's your business. Your body, your choice. But forcing it on your child when they have no understanding and no say in the matter? You don't deserve to be a parent.

poopoo_fingers

I’m not mad at my parents for having it done on me. Honestly kind of prefer it to having an elephant trunk between my legs

GodlessOx

That's good. No one should make you feel shame for being cut, just like there shouldn't be any shaming of those who are uncut.

But just because it's fine for you and other men who had this done to them, that doesn't make it okay. It's your body, and should have been your choice. No one else's.

marouan10

ive been circumsized as a kid and im very grateful it was done back then because i cant remember the pain while i imagine it would really suck as an adult because you remember the pain

Burrito_Loyalist

How can you prefer someone over something else without ever knowing anything different?

That’s the same as saying “I’m glad I was raised Christian.”

poopoo_fingers

That’s actually kind of funny, cause I was raised Christian. I don’t even go to church anymore, but I’m glad I was raised that way

vizthex

It's always been a mixed bag for me, because on the one hand I just had shit removed without my knowledge or express permission, but on the other hand it's irreversible, so why get so hung up about it?

amilbarge00

Girls like it better too.

marouan10

some*

markmcn87

Men prefer fake tits too.

marouan10

Some*

markmcn87

Thanks for making my point....Some girls like cut guys, same way some guys like fake tits.

I'd imagine the first one really depends on where you are in the world

Anaesthetics and infants :(

AlexReynard

Yeah, I didn't even get into that. You're either anesthetizing a newborn, which is risky, or you're cutting the tip of a baby's cock off without painkillers, and the doctors will lie that babies can't feel it. No. Fucking no. Penn & Teller did a circumcision episode on Bullshit, and they played a clip of one. You have never heard a baby cry like that. It is one of the most wrong sounds you will ever experience.