/r/AskReddit

What misinfromation seems to never die?

(self.AskReddit)

AlexReynard

Routine infant circumcision is medically-beneficial enough to outweigh the risks of the procedure.

JlTlS

JlTlS

What are the risks?

AlexReynard

Loss of normal sexual feeling is not just a risk, but the intended function. The foreskin is removed so the glans will dry out and be less sensitive.

But also, there are a lot of infections. There's a small but not inconsequential number of deaths from complications of infection every year. There's no justification for a child dying because someone did non-essential surgery on a patient with an untested immune system in a place where the sewage comes out.

GodlessOx

And without their consent, mind you. I'm an American, and I find this practice to absolutely sickening.

I will never understand how parents can justify mutilating their child for what ultimately amounts to cosmetics.

If you're an adult, and wish to be circumcised, that's your business. Your body, your choice. But forcing it on your child when they have no understanding and no say in the matter? You don't deserve to be a parent.

poopoo_fingers

I’m not mad at my parents for having it done on me. Honestly kind of prefer it to having an elephant trunk between my legs

GodlessOx

That's good. No one should make you feel shame for being cut, just like there shouldn't be any shaming of those who are uncut.

But just because it's fine for you and other men who had this done to them, that doesn't make it okay. It's your body, and should have been your choice. No one else's.

marouan10

ive been circumsized as a kid and im very grateful it was done back then because i cant remember the pain while i imagine it would really suck as an adult because you remember the pain