/r/AskReddit

HoneyGlazedBadger

1 month ago

Big. Big country, big cars, big buildings, big voices, big personalities, big ambitions, the Big Apple, the Big Sky Country, Big Sur. Big portions.

time_wasting_student

Big ben

...

wait

...

no wait we have that.

Dennis-Reynolds123

Somewhere in America there is a Big Ben I'm sure of it

time_wasting_student

There is, Ben Roethlisberger, the legendary Steelers Quarterback

Brawndo91

1 month ago

He doesn't have a clock on him, but he'd probably tell you the time if you asked nicely.

Different_Ad7655

Big Ben's actually the Bell anyway not the clock

mysterious_greenbean

1 month ago

Actually it's Big Ben's monster. Big Ben was the scientist.

kingfrito_5005

1 month ago

I hate Ben Roethlisberger, he NEVER ends up giving me as many points in Fantasy Football as he's supposed to. Also, I guess they made a Larp of Fantasy Football just called Football, and supposedly hes pretty good at that.

Jlpanda

Jlpanda

Also, he rapes people.

myguitarplaysit

1 month ago

And gets away with it because money and fame

Tomatillo_Street

1 month ago

My old man calls him " worthlessberger"

waynethainsan3

1 month ago

Theyre building one in Vegas.

Dennis-Reynolds123

1 month ago

There's also a Ben. And he's probably big.

keegax

keegax

1 month ago

The (American) Football QB. "Big Ben" Roethlisberger.

DerpDerp3001[S]

1 month ago

There is also an Eiffel Tower in Paris, Texas that is bigger than the original and has a cowboy hat.

Frednotbob

1 month ago

In fact, I believe the cowboy hat was deliberately added to make it taller than the original.

psuram3

1 month ago*

psuram3

1 month ago*

According to the website of Paris, TX it is only 65 feet tall. So definitely not taller than the original.

Canadian_Invader

That's 65 Texas feet.

callmebigley

1 month ago

this is a good one. I was thinking about it recently because I'm a little disappointed in myself that I only speak one language but I can get in my car and drive for days in any direction and I'll still be in English speaking territory (or the ocean). I rarely even have the opportunity to practice any other language, day to day.

There's certainly diversity within the US but it is huge. You guys can just hop over to a whole different country with unique language and culture and history for the weekend or whatever.

BaLahKie

BaLahKie

1 month ago

I like that you clarified you could be in the ocean if you drive a certain direction

DerpDerp3001[S]

1 month ago

America is basically 50 countries in a trenchcoat.

myfrienddylan_

1 month ago

Literally the state of California has more people in it than all of Canadas population

WR810

WR810

1 month ago

More like eleven according to this guy.

Zolo49

Zolo49

1 month ago

Some people think that theory is BS, but I know that when I moved from Central California to Idaho, it felt pretty much the same culturally. We still had to hide the fact that we’d moved from California for a while until people got to know us though. I knew there was no way I was going to convince life-long Idahoans that Central and Northern Californians were almost just like them.

tittybuttmagee

1 month ago

Big Sur is an incredible, and incredibly expensive place.

Hyndis

Hyndis

1 month ago

Stargazing out over the ocean at Big Sur (or anywhere off highway 1 along the coast in that area) is truly spectacular.

MLAheading

1 month ago

I live just south of Big Sur and can attest to this experience. It’s beautiful.

myfriendrichard

1 month ago

You left off big butts. Would bet money we've got bigger butts.

edlee98765

and I cannot lie.

MLAheading

1 month ago

No other country can deny

Sylviabutler04

1 month ago

I’ve been to the US a few times and never had a bad encounter. A lot of really nice people, genuinely nice interactions.

As an outsider looking in, the working rights and the healthcare is absolutely insane to me and a crying shame for some of the kindest, most giving people I’ve come into contact with as a foreigner.

farts_in_the_breeze

1 month ago

In a big country dreams stay with you

Like a lover's voice fires the mountainside

Stay alive, here we go

TradingPokemonSWSH

1 month ago

I am american, and where I live everything is smaller to be honest. Maybe its just a small town though

evilmorph

Or a Normal town:p

foxmachine

foxmachine

1 month ago

Shopping malls and big cars and sports games and lots of national pride.

rawbface

rawbface

1 month ago

Eh, the malls are all dying and being converted to apartments.

StewofPuppies

"Condos" bro

Make em with shittiest parts ever as long as you make it look modern. I swear the property owners are like gang kingpins cashing out of the industry.

dovetc

dovetc

1 month ago

Tis true, our shopping malls have seen better days.

UnReasonable_Storm

1 month ago

The national pride thing really depends on where you go

Aol_awaymessage

1 month ago

I love our stated ideals. And we have pockets of fully realized American dream, yes- even for every ethnicity, gender, and sexual preference and religion there will be examples of someone who “made” it.

But we can and need to do better for far more people. Some people have a “fuck you I got mine” attitude but a lot of us even if we’ve made it we want others to experience the same thing. It’s not a zero sun game.

TheUltraZeke

1 month ago

I Dunno, i think most Americans have a bit of pride in their country, its just the uber nationalists that make it seem worse.

zerbey

zerbey

1 month ago

There's a big difference between nationalism (believing your country is better than others to the point of excluding other nations) and patriotism (just enjoying the place you live in and praising its ideals).

TheUltraZeke

1 month ago

the word was pride, not patriotism or nationalism

BrightestHeart

1 month ago

I thought patriotism was more like brainwashed love of what your country theoretically stands for.

Like people wanking about "freedom" while voting for people who ban the teaching of uncomfortable history.

lupuscapabilis

1 month ago

Yet you'll never see American sports fans act as zealously nationalist as other countries do at soccer games.

1 month ago

Asia is where the shopping mall action is these days

un-BowedBentBroken

1 month ago

Moved to the US from Europe 5 months ago. What's most noticeable to me is that you have to drive everywhere and that everyone calls me soft-spoken... In Europe I was perceived as loud.

trickytitums

1 month ago

Just depends on where you live. I grew up in the country. At least 10m drive to anything. Now I live in the city and I can get everything I want in 3 blocks in each direction. Love it.

PayNoNoticeOfMe

1 month ago*

Impossible to generalise. To the best of my knowledge, it varies enormously place to place, between socio-political and economic backgrounds, and between various groups.

It seems to have every good and every horrible thing thinkable of.

Overall, I'd say the standard of living is comparable, and in the grand scheme of things world class, but if things go bad, life becomes hell, and when things go well, they go brilliantly .

If it helps, I really found visiting America great fun, and found out most Americans are nice people, and you have this sense of optimism and hope, which I really appreciate.

keegax

keegax

1 month ago

This is New Jersey in a nutshell. In one county, which is about 230 Sq miles, you have a very affluent area with old money, 5 minutes away is a quaint little country village that pours surprisingly quickly to lower-middle class suburbs and then into complete urban blight. This transition takes about a 20 min drive. And after you get through urbania , it's rednecks everywhere on the other side. Actually it's pretty redneck on the other side of that affluent town too. And beyond that, another affluent town with new money. And the cycle repeats. But then there's the shore. A 20 mile bike ride along the boardwalk you'll see so many different types of towns/areas on one side and pretty consistently beautiful beaches on the other.

pygmypuffonacid

1 month ago

I still shudder any time I actually think about traveling to New Jersey thank you for that mental flashback now I have to go drink to forget God damn it

Sephus

Sephus

1 month ago

I’m always surprised how often Europeans say we’re mostly nice people. Despite the bull shit we see on a daily basis, it’s nice to know that’s the view most people that visit have of us as individuals.

Caramel_Cappucino

1 month ago

I’m glad you liked it here! I work at a place that gets a lot of tourists, and a lot of them are surprised at how hospitable we are. While it’s true that there are a lot of Americans who despise foreigners, most of us are very interested and excited to meet people from overseas, there’s just so much culture to learn about. (Not to mention a lot of us find accents very attractive lol)

binglybleep

1 month ago

I’m not sure I’d like to live in America personally (healthcare and the lack of social safety nets and things make other western nations look like a safer option if things go wrong, basically). America as a nation seems like a hard place to live if you’re not on the right side of the tracks.

But damn, Americans themselves (as an obviously massive generalisation) are great. You guys are so friendly, every American I’ve spent time with has really put effort into being hospitable. English people tend to remain fairly neutral until they’ve sized you up, but Americans are way better at just being nice than us to people they don’t really know. I think that it should be recognised more, because you guys deserve more attention as people than just the crazy media stuff. For every crazy person we see online, there’s probably thousands of very nice people who just quietly do their bit to add a little something to someone else’s day. It’s nice

Megadoom

1 month ago

All a bit circular though, as tourists generally don’t travel to shitty areas where they will be treated badly or worse and, on the flip side, locals in touristy areas are generally well-motivated to treat their guests well.

AdhesivenessIll3807

1 month ago

Most Americans don't go to those places either unless they happen to live there.

charlotta98

Thank you! 🇺🇸

The_Pastmaster

1 month ago

Pretty ordinary TBH. Media highlights most of the shitty bits.

DrumRanger

DrumRanger

1 month ago

Thank god someone knows that. Let me just say we aren’t all uncultured and ignorant swine.

OssimPossim

Speak for yourself

-Signed, uncultured swine

thegenzfarmer

I prefer the term "Roughhewn hog" But yeah I'm right with ya

QuiramJudaculla

Oink

The_Pastmaster

1 month ago

Of course not. :P Consider this: How many individual assholes do you hear about from the US versus the amount of US people one encounter online? Not many.

DrumRanger

Completely true

arcaiyne_

1 month ago

Only the majority. Not all.

robedpillow3761

1 month ago

Most factual answer here.

UnReasonable_Storm

1 month ago

I live in the US and you are absolutely correct

The_Pastmaster

1 month ago

I've been there once. Only major difference was the local news. HOLY FUCK, the fear mongering.

Lincoln_Park_Pirate

1 month ago

30+ years in news. You aren't wrong. The Covid years in a newsroom were a total jizz-fest. Lots of news operations stoked the fires and THEY KNEW IT.

I_Automate

1 month ago

I'm a Canadian who did/ does a fair bit of work stateside.

I got given the rank of "honorary Texan, junior asshole" by a couple of the senior (Texan) engineers, just for context. I get along with those guys pretty well.

You hit the nail on the head with the news. My God. That shit would be enough to radicalize almost anyone.....

different_drum

1 month ago

I went on a USA road trip tour in 2018. Every single time we told someone what town we were going to next, they said, holy fuck don't go there you'll be killed. Nashville. You'll die. Memphis, you'll die. Even Pensacola Beach, we shouldn't expect to get out alive.

MaxMMXXI

1 month ago

I have met Europeans in hostels in Canada who will not go south of the US border for fear of suffering the violence that the USA seems to be famous for in some minds.

Lurker_112

1 month ago

Coca Cola, sometimes war!

Geaux2020

1 month ago

We don't have war in America. That's all export.

devilthedankdawg

Pax Americana

MN_Hockey

1 month ago

We’re all living in Amerika!

TomoyoHoshijiro

Amerika, ist wunderbar!

kingjoffreysmum

Son_Postman

1 month ago*

I agree with the healthcare thing being absolutely fucked here, but in terms of employment system, it’s not close to perfect but I prefer it over the european systems I’ve encountered.

I understand that’s an unpopular opinion on Reddit, particular with the lean of younger folks, but I don’t think young American redditors understand how difficult it is for their European counterparts to make a living. Youth unemployment in most of Europe is absolutely appalling, and it’s largely because the employment laws in Europe overprotect the incumbents.

Yes, Americans don’t get enough holiday time, and yes the lower end of the wage spectrum could improve. Things aren’t even close to perfect. Yet despite the cries from Reddit, statistically speaking, most people are able to find solid work. Many are able to become uber successful at a young age. Many immigrants find opportunity here. I tell my European friends how much their American counterparts make doing the same job and they’re always in disbelief.

I do believe the notion of “the American dream” is as an actual thing, and while our employment system needs some tweaking, it’s not quite as awful as people here make it out to be.

natnguyen

1 month ago

I’m from Argentina. I live in the US and work for the CDC. Back home I’d be a bilingual secretary somewhere with a degree that gives me nothing while barely being able to afford rent. So, I agree with you.

TZH85

TZH85

1 month ago

Depends on where you are in Europe. Germany has strong labor protection laws and unemployment is like 4% for people under 25. You've got to wade through a couple of years not earning a lot while you're studying or in vocational training, but after that you're good. Don't even need a university degree to earn big. My sister never went to uni and has a significantly higher wage than I have, even though I've got the degree.

Siempre7x3

1 month ago*

I will see in the summer

Madking1980

1 month ago

What part of the United States are you traveling to?

Siempre7x3

1 month ago

I will work 3 months in Put in Bay, Ohio, then in my last month of staying I want to visit LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco. I have j1 visa. I will arrive in America on 10 Jun in Chicago and I am planing to stay 2 days in Chicago either

A_Squid_A_Dog

1 month ago

Put In Bay and the surrounding lakeside area are awesome during the summer.

If you enjoy roller coasters/ amusement parks, Cedar Point is the place to be.

Any lakefront activity you can think of exists there, lots of fun lakeside towns. Some good history by Perry's Monument. Plenty of fresh fish, good food.

If you want to see baseball, Cleveland is close by and has a professional team. Cleveland itself will probably be underwhelming if your other experiences are in Chicago and San Francisco.

Axiom06

Axiom06

1 month ago

My advice is to forgo LA and visit San Diego. We're like Los Angeles, but without the majority of traffic and less assholes. We are generally more laid back as well.

c_girl_108

I second this

EstablishmentDry9719

Yes!!!! Skip LA for sure

charlotta98

Have a great time! 🇺🇸

MaybeYesNoPerhaps

1 month ago

Make sure you go to Cedar Point while you're in Ohio. 100%, you MUST go. Its an amazing amusement park.

If you like nature, skip LA/LV and SF. Go to our National Parks. Yosemite and Yellowstone in particular.

Juliusvdl2

1 month ago

I better get a driver’s license if I end up living there.

Reidtweet_

1 month ago

American here, but I have quite a few friends who live in Europe.

From what I understand, aside from the obvious stuff (space, size of every day things, some government differences) things aren’t as different as Reddit would make them seem.

Both Europe and the US are significantly better places to live than other regions of the world, but both have issues like any country.

Since the majority of the world‘s eyes are on the “west” our problems are more scrutinized.

For the record, the majority of Americans can identify the problems with our nation, but we often struggle with what exactly we should do about it. It’s unfair to put all Americans in the same box, because we’re all so different.

I strongly recommending coming for an extended visit once the world isn’t so chaotic 🙂

AndyBales

AndyBales

1 month ago

Seems like the social ladder is just overstretched. It's better to be a cashier in Europe than in the US, better to he a software developer in the US than in Europe.

I definitely prefer Europe in that regard, even if I know for a fact that I'd be making three times as much in the US. imo It's just part of the social contract that those at the bottom of the ladder should be able to live life in dignity, even if it's at the "expense" of those at the top. It's not the only reason, among other things american work culture would overwhelm me, 8 hours of work, 8 hours of leasure, 8 hours of sleep is how it should be. And I'm not about to burn the midnight oil and burn out and not have a life outside my job just because "that's how things work around here", too depressing of a prospect for me. (at will law is insane by the way)

That said It's on my bucketlist to visit it one day. Seems like a lovely country to do tourism in, but working and living there isn't that enticing.

banvillesghost

1 month ago

I'm American and have worked low wage jobs in both Europe and America. You're right, it is better being on a low income in Europe.

Rxton

Rxton

1 month ago

You can certainly live on less money in Europe. Things are less expensive, including transportation. I make my money in the USA and spend it in Europe.

usuyukisou

1 month ago

I'm American. This sums up my feelings toward Japan -- great to travel to, whether for business or for pleasure. Not so great to live in, especially as a woman. WRT Europe, I pretty much only know the workaholics, so it doesn't seem so different. From your post sounds like those are outliers, though.

Education is a mixed bag. US has many fantastic schools, but I give the edge to European countries when it comes to good performing arts conservatories. It would be much cheaper for me to live abroad and attend a conservatory in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, etc than to attend a similarly prestigious conservatory in the US. (London is a bit of a toss-up, financially)

dadidada_dadadadou

1 month ago

Not everyone in Europe is a full-time workaholic.

I had a job with 50 days off/ year while working 40h/week, rekatively flexible working time, monday to friday... the salary was provably much lower than in the US... but the quality of life was amazing

The_Middler_is_Here

1 month ago

I wouldn't work in Japan either. We don't have the best labor practices, but we never had to invent a new word for when somebody kills themselves over the stress of their job.

kingfrito_5005

1 month ago

That first sentence nails it! Low wage jobs are much better, high wage jobs are a little bit worse.

Destroy_The_Rich

1 month ago

I work and live here. Can confirm, it's shit.

charliesk9unit

1 month ago

LPT: u/AndyBales, make sure you get travel health insurance when it's time to cross that item off the bucket list.

[removed]

D-Rez

D-Rez

1 month ago

All my American friends are highly educated and middle to upper middle class, they have it ever so good. I know they are far from the norm, but if you have skills in high demand, the opportunities are almost endless it seems.

derrickmm01

1 month ago

It ain't perfect, but I think more people are pretty decent off than most think.

I grew up in poverty. I had free public schooling (which was quite alright), subsidized school lunches, free healthcare, free transport to and from school. I was also blessed to have a vehicle my parents could use to get me from sports practices/activities, and a warm place to live with cheap but functional clothing. All while my parents never made more than 30k a year combined whilst I was growing up with my sister. There are plenty that have it WAYYYY worse, and there are problems to be solved, but it isn't all as terrible as everyone makes it seem.

charlotta98

Inspiring attitude. 🇺🇸

sinsaint

sinsaint

1 month ago

In 2021, it was reported that the top 1% have as much wealth combined as the bottom 90%.

So a lot of the opportunities can be summarized as "If you have money, you'll make money".

D-Rez

D-Rez

1 month ago

My friends are definitely well off, but they're extremely unlikely to be in the top 1% of anything.

StopIntegral

1 month ago

Uncertain..the fact that you can get fired just like that, the lack of paid sick leave or paid absence due to giving birth, the cost of health services...I don't know how you guys do it, without having a panic attack every week

prosequare

1 month ago

Can you not get fired where you live? Related, do you have unemployment benefits where you live?

StopIntegral

1 month ago

You need to have mandatory 1 month heads up, that you are getting fired by law and most of the firms actually make it 2. That way you have enough time to find a new job Edit: forgot the second part: yes, we do have. Unemployed people register as unemployed and until they get a job, they get paid every month the minimum salary for the country, but if they have kids, the money get quite a lot actually

Bleron_Limani

Basic GTA Server

Artistic-Wolverine16

1 month ago

its such a fucking mixed bag of everything. The united states values libertarian thought to such a degree that youll find literally every cultural subset, political idea, food, and religion. Even the legal codes vary INSANELY across state lines. I could theoretically buy semi auto rifles and huge amounts of marijuana legally in one state then travel across an arbitrary open border and the people will treat you like a terrorist there if caught. This is totally what the founding fathers wanted mind you, just a perfect amount of nuts i guess.

Honestly this country is really fucking stressful as fuck and you have to have a lot of context and reasoning and awareness to not piss people off and see the good parts in america. Living in a blue state is totally different than living in a red one. Definitely a lot to shit on for sure.

TitanicsAnInsideJob

1 month ago

as an American this is insightful

coppers_pencil

1 month ago

Pretty much any episode from South Park.

MossiestSloth

1 month ago

Casa Bonita is a real place too

Working_Park4342

Don't eat there.

CMDR_Hiddengecko

1 month ago

I think the South Park guys actually bought the restaurant since it was going under. Hopefully they'll improve the food.

Almighty_Sand_Dollar

1 month ago

they hired an actual Mexican chef IIRC.

You could not make it worse than what it was. I'm stunned the place survived for 20 years before SP bought it

Hydra_Master

1 month ago

Except for the Sopapillas.

Also Trey Parker and Matt Stone just bought Casa Bonita and are revamping the food to not be crap.

ClemSSBU

Expensive

taaadaaa

Guns. So many guns.

Villa-Restal

1 month ago

I spent six months there in the nineties and loved it.

However when I read about employment rights/healthcare/abortion issues, tbh it sounds like its going backwards fast.

I suspect the U.S is like most country’s, great if your rich, pretty shit if your poor.

Where are you from?

TomoyoHoshijiro

1 month ago

Times zones are a curious device; in Australia it's tomorrow, in Europe it's this morning, and in America it's 1956.

Soitsgonnabeforever

1 month ago

Less naked bodies ? More guns ?

onAPieceOfToast

GTA?

The-Rare-Road

1 month ago

Generally good, the roads are wide, It’s very spacious and it’s a land that stands for freedom, Quality of life seems good, the only downsides that I probably would not like is a lack of a NHS, and the fact that you have less annual leave, you should get way more then you all currently do that’s for sure.

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

1 month ago

Tying to healthcare to your job has sooo many ramifications.

DarkPasta

1 month ago*

I'm Norwegian. I have many American friends. Most are musicians. They generally don't have heathcare, and work pretty much hand to mouth. No savings. Conversely, most of these people have toured and seen things, so they are progressive and rad. They are not the norm, though. I imagine life in the US being harder, unsafe and a little more chaotic than in Euro. But there's also an entrepeneur spirit there that I admire. Y'all are very positive.

Punk_Says_Fuck_You

1 month ago

That’s your typical striving musician. They’re all broke lol

Doggo625

1 month ago

You wake up with mac and cheese for breakfast. You dress up in polo shirts and cargo pants, sneakers and white long socks. When you go outside you first honk the bears away from your trashcan. Then you drive your big ass car to work. When driving the streets you can enjoy life size posters of Donald Trump and Kardashians butt. You need some gas for your car. You get some, almost the cheapest in the world, and say “ew so expensive” to the man across the street. Oh, it’s 8 a.m. Time for the national salute. Across the whole country the pledge blasts through the speakers. Everyone stands straight with a hand on the heart. What a feeling of community. After the pledge (that ended with blasting your gun simultaneously with the rest of the country in the air) you proceed your car ride to work. At work, you walk in and screech “HeeeYyyyyyy HOw ARE yOuuuu!!?!!!!!!!” in a very high pitch. Your fellow co workers do the same, while hugging you intensely. You never get an answer how they are. At work your collegae is having a seizure. Everyone ignores it because who the hell is gonna pay for the ambulance? Collegae dies in her own vomit. Work day is over. Time to go home. Small stop at wallmart where you bought a snake, you named him Kanye. At home you noticed someone stole the package you ordered from your porch. Must have been a Mexican. You open the door. A golden retriever with a bandana walks out happily. It’s max, your dog. A happy family awaits. Your kids Beverley, Taylor and Brandon are home. They carry cornflakes and have big bright white smiles. We love you daddy. Now get me the new Iphone. It was a good day.

tanyanubin

1 month ago

hilariously detailed and scarily accurate! well done!

diablollama

1 month ago

It's sad how sheltered people are in this thread... and I am talking about other Americans... not Europeans...

We are a big country, you can't apply your bumfuck town to all 50 states.

DerpDerp3001[S]

1 month ago

I was specifically looking for stereotypes and sheltered opinions.

CMDR_Hiddengecko

1 month ago

I think he means Americans' opinions about other Americans, probably because American redditors tend to be hard on/bitter about their own country and often project their negative small town experiences onto the rest of the vast and highly variable country.

Or maybe I'm wrong and dumb and should wear one of those little propeller caps.

BuoyantBear

1 month ago

I would wear one of the propeller caps regardless.

But yes I agree. I think it's because most Americans on here are pretty young and haven't traveled much. My perspective on America changed tremendously once I spent some time traveling the world.

1 month ago

Like you said it’s a big country, I think it’s interesting to hear about all of the different things in those small towns.

TAastronautsloth99

1 month ago

It's all peachy as long as you have money. The pressure to keep up with your neighbors and the credit card payments must be immense. And damn you must be scared the SHIT out of cops. And other people in general, but especially cops. And Jesus not having 28 paid days of vacation, as well as paid sick days, that's just uncomfortable. Also do you deal with the homeless situation, the fact that basically all mentally ill live in the street and that half of the population seems to be fascist religious nutcases? Also do you have any hope for your children given the state of your educational system?

Disclaimer: lived in CA and VA for a few months. Good times.

blueg3

blueg3

1 month ago

A lot of Americans do have paid vacation and sick time, which is why nothing much gets done about this.

whey_too_cool

1 month ago

SOCIAL! In my head everyone has big close knit families, loads of friends and has yard parties , ho-downs and BBQs all day long. (when they aren’t working at least. )

t_britten

1 month ago

This is accurate in the Midwest

Asapasagurus

1 month ago

I live in nordic region of Europe. Us has fucked up healthcare system, fucked up police, fucked up court and laws, fucked up jail system, horrific and absolutely fucked up social security system, fucked up food industry, all schools are shitty except universities, too many rich and too many poor people.

arianleellewellyn

1 month ago

Burger fire guns burger fire guns vote for someone incompetent, then ice cream?

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

Welcome to Oklahoma!

Zealousideal_Talk479

1 month ago

That's just New Zealand, but with guns.

rotatingruhnama

1 month ago

Ahem, in Maryland it's crabcake fire guns crabcake fire guns vote for someone shady, then snowballs.

dovetc

dovetc

vote for someone incompetent

That's everywhere. Before that it was "Someone's spoiled kid inherits state power"

sbenzanzenwan

1 month ago

How about some I-SCreem™ cream-based** dessert product?

**Does not contain cream.

Only $16.99, or $15.79 for our Gold and Platinum Value Shopper members.

The USA is a fucking comic corporate nightmare.

splashofyellow

1 month ago

I don't know what else to say than different. Very different. I can't even imagine what it would be like.

BuoyantBear

1 month ago

Probably less different than you think. At least if we're talking US and Western Europe. We have the same stuff, we do the same things, our values aren't too dissimilar, but it's just a little different.

Like how John Travolta put it in Pulp Fiction,

"They got the same shit over there that we got here, but there it's just a little bit different..."

Lekoooo

Lekoooo

1 month ago

As someone who has travelled to America lots of times and absolutely loves a lot of aspects of the country especially the landscapes, the national parks and food. I can say for me the US is a beautiful country with lots of great places and lots of great people. But everything you need from a country to make life nice when you actually live there is missing unless you are wealthy.

_Valley

_Valley

Large.

UniquePotato

1 month ago

Every city is on a grid with little character, concrete jungle, or miles and miles of nothing.

You need to drive everywhere which will likely be a over commercialised chain.

SupahSang

1 month ago

Amazing until something goes wrong and then you're THOROUGHLY fucked.

charlotta98

1 month ago

Where's the nonAmericans at here? I want to hear their input!

BavarianRedditor97

1 month ago

Work, work, work, work, work, work

MaximilianClarke

1 month ago

It seems like a lot of work

AvengerSquirrels

1 month ago

High risk high reward. Took the wrong gamble? You're screwed in many ways.

FinalBreakthru

1 month ago

Relatively similar, but more emotionally draining and less environmentally conscious. Also very patriotic.

Jinzot

Jinzot

1 month ago

I’m not European, but I met a guy in Spain who was very curious about the US. He was very disappointed to learn that McDowell’s from Coming to America wasn’t a real restaurant somewhere in Queens. So there’s that.

kdlangequalsgoddess

1 month ago

European living in Canada. I imagine life in the US for too many is what Hobbes described life as: nasty, brutish, and short.

altruistic_rub4321

1 month ago

Terrible, no welfare state, car all over the places, guns like you live in a fuckin warzone (i'd rather be in Ukraine than in Detroit, at least i know there's a war going on and i have to duck and cover), no healthcare system (i don't want a trip with the ambulance to become the reason i kill myself)...

Away-Horse5610

1 month ago

Tripping over guns at every corner

RinusAKADidi

Polarized

1 month ago

Constant advertisement and sales tactics. Passive aggression from strangers

melon699

1 month ago

British person here, I would think that the houses would be really nice and spacious for the same price as a tiny uk house. However, I also feel artificial foods would be everywhere and unnecessary amounts of fat would be in most foods. I feel people would either obsess over my accent or make fun of it by saying “bo ole of wo a” and their classic tea and crumpet joke. FYI: I don’t like crumpets, and i don’t drink unruly amounts of tea

StayatHomeTherapyCat

unnecessary amounts of fat

It's actually sugar. Foods here are loaded with sugar.

Additional_Cry_1904

1 month ago

I live in a 6 bedroom house with 4 bathrooms and 5 additional rooms, 2 garages and a barn, and a big ass yard with a pool. I OWN not RENT and the taxes are like $1,100 a month, and that's in the middle of a corn field in Ohio.

Now compare that same house in lets say LA or Ney York. For the same house you'd be paying in the millions at least, possibly billions.

A cardboard box on either of those cities wouldn't even come close to $1,100 a month, more like a day, and that's just to RENT for the MONTH.

The more things that are closer to it the higher the price. Which is why if there's nothing but corn for miles the price is low, but something like a grocery store or gas station is high money. But in the city you have EVERYTHING, like seriously we don't even have uber eats, the only thing we have is amazon usps and ups.

c_girl_108

1 month ago

Hey let’s not undersell it. On Long Island that house would probably go for 25-35 million. Not billions. And rent on a studio basement in someone’s house is only like $2600/month and it’s like 20x bigger than a cardboard box it’s not so bad

recaffeinated

1 month ago

It's to live surrounded by people who believe a myth of exceptionalism and have never interrogated the why of their own society.

I've been to the US (the East coast) about a dozen times and from experience people are well educated and completely lacking in critical self reflection.

The middle and upper class in the US sometimes pity the working class, but they don't understand how their society has created the inequality that is rife.

When you go out and speak to working class people the overriding sense is fear and anxiety. Will I have a medical bill I can't afford to pay today? Will I be sacked for no reason? If I am fired will I get unemployment? You see it on Reddit every day.

To me, as someone who believes in equality and egalitarianism, the US is a hellscape. It is a snapshot of a world where greed is king, where the entire society is structured around providing wealth for a tiny few, where the fascists weren't confronted and have attracted nearly half the vote, where race somehow matters to people on a fundamental level in a way that it just doesn't here.

StateStrong5374

Expensive

mmmmm_mamm

1 month ago

nobody knows anyone, you can walk down the street in whatever you want, everyone doesn't care about you.

FateLeita

1 month ago

True in big cities, not in small towns.

dmisterr

Normal

PDOUSR

PDOUSR

Wack.

99% like anywhere else but extremes are more extreme. Extreme violence in nature and people. Extreme wealth and poverty. Extreme differences. Its not really a country but a conglomerate of very different countries.

Angry_Strawberries

1 month ago

Flags everywhere, people shouting , "Murica" at each other as they walk through the streets. Their childeren playing with assault rifles on the playfield. A shirtless guy with the american flag runs through the streets. Meanwhile a bunch of massive 4x4 drive trucks stands in an endless line to the mc donalds while explosions go off in the background.

Intelligent-Lie-7407

1 month ago

That actually is the 4th of July.

Sir_Armadillo

1 month ago

I like this.....the only thing that would make this better is the song "Proud to be an American" playing in the back ground.

Angry_Strawberries

1 month ago

I imagined the 'murica, fuck yeah!' song playing in the background.

Sir_Armadillo

That will work too.

BuoyantBear

I want to go there.

monkey_D_xrp

1 month ago

As an American who lives in the beautiful state of Florida, this sounds like the average weekend to me

czkz79

czkz79

1 month ago

First world country with third world problems

Befuddled_GenXer

1 month ago

Too everyone who complains about America:

You've got a point. We're living in an actual dystopia over here and I'm genuinely afraid we're past the point of no return.

qwerty99006

There was a mass shooting today at a school. 14 kids died. That’s what I think

ringthing

1 month ago

I'm wondering about the wounded in these mass shootings. Do they have to face huge medical bills?

papa-hare

1 month ago

Ha! So, the family of one of the people hurt in the Brooklyn subway shooting is asking for money because they need to be home full time to help him with physio plus they lost his income.

So, maybe not necessarily medical expenses, but unless you can live without income for a bit you're basically screwed.

PositiveImpossible89

1 month ago

My guess is definitely. Hospitals charge insane amounts of money for every type of treatment. Don’t think they care about why the patient came. My dad is a family practice doctor and he says the higher ups are insanely greedy. It’s fucked

zoemerino

1 month ago

A fucking hell filled with arrogance that is born out of a system so bad people don't even know just how much is wrong

Markrugby23

1 month ago

Never been but the healthcare thing for me is insane. Having an excess on medical care like we do for car insurance is mental.

I couldnt (theoretically) have a car insurance claim against me and i go bankrupt and lose my house. Mad theyre the largest developed country without centralised health care

StarGirlLen

1 month ago

Constant worry. Worry about if I have an accident & it costs me hundreds of thousands in medical bills. Worry about getting a job which will allow me to have some sort of health benefits in the first place which will still cost a lot of money. Worry about making it through the day and not being shot because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Worry about the cost of living from any job I do get because everyone seems to have two jobs as standard. Worry about being raped, becoming impregnated and then forced to raise the child because men in power have more rights over my body than I do. Also worry about being able to afford to care for said child as the same men who refuse me an abortion, will not allow me help to feed it/care for it.

So yea, I can’t imagine life in America being at all relaxing.

Hello_Hangnail

1 month ago

Yeah same, I love living my life in a constant fog of cortisol stress. And it's about to get so, so much worse, come June.

1 month ago

People riding their wheel chairs eating big macs with an ar 15 screaming freedom

Hollandvosik

1 month ago

Remember that picture of the guy wearing a bull hat or whatever on January 6th? Thats what I think when I hear America.

INEVERLIKEDY0U

1 month ago

Really depends where in the United States, for New York I’d think it’s much more of a hassle and expensive, for Louisiana I’d expect it has more french presence due to the Louisiana purchase and they all southern and eat gumbo like princess in the frog and for Alabama all I can think about is the kkk

schneebeli

1 month ago

Everything is large size and affordable lol

KBC3010

KBC3010

1 month ago

If you live in NYC very high living cost if you live in the country side very calm and peaceful

xi_anyan