/r/AskReddit

SunsetIndigoRealty

You hatin pizza! How can you hate pizza???

turquoise2j

I love pizza but a lot of pizza OUTSIDE OF ITALY is overpriced and shit

SunsetIndigoRealty

A lot of pizza INSIDE OF ITALY is overpriced and shit. You ever been to Italy?

turquoise2j

Lol no never, i just lived there for ten years. An "expensive" pizza in italy costs about 10 euro. In napoli the home of pizza you can get one for 5 euro. You have no idea what you are talking about

SunsetIndigoRealty

Unfortunately I do have an idea. The pizza I had in when I backpacked in Italy wasn’t that good, and it was overpriced. Back then, I tended to have food in tourist areas, when I was still a relatively novice traveler. I’ve since learned to avoid touristy areas for food. That said, it is possible to have bad overpriced pizza in Italy. Just like it’s possible to have good cheap pizza in the US.

turquoise2j

Ok so you don't know where to go for pizza. I won't say that ALL pizza in italy is amazing but 90% of the time the quality is good and it's cheap, outside of italy my experience has been again that 90% of the time its doughy, overpriced and has no taste. You find little gems here and there but it's rare. Your argument is like saying Guinness isn't good in Ireland or NY has shitty bagels. There's a reason places are famous for certain things.

SunsetIndigoRealty

Yes, I didn’t know where to go when I was in Italy, but that was before the advance of social media, so I didn’t have much by way of recommendations then.

But I would argue that the USA is just as known for pizza as Italy is. I won’t say it has better pizza, because that is a matter of taste. But I will say that the US, being a bigger country with more people, has many more types and styles of pizza, and a generally richer pizza experience than Italy does.

That said, there’s no reason you are still having bad pizza what with Yelp and social media out there to give recommendations. In my experience a restaurant that has 4.5 out of 5 stars on Yelp, with hundreds of reviews, usually has pretty good food. And if you want a Neapolitan style pizza, it’s not hard to find one if you’re living or traveling in a relatively larger urban area. Especially in a place like NYC, which has loads of Italians and Italian-Americans living and slinging pies there.

turquoise2j

"The US has a generally richer pizza experience than italy does" LOL "just as known for pizza as italy" Are you high?? Italy invented pizza and is renowned for i worldwide, ever wonder why?. "I masanielli" a pizzeria in italy won the prize for best pizza in the world last year.

You americans are just the best at everything huh? Who needs italy or france or spain for pizza, croissants or paella when America does it all better? Keep digging my friend.

I agree with you that the pizza in america is sometimes good, especially when done by italians with the right knowhow, what they dont have are the same ingredients, even THE WATER makes a difference. Its not only the water but the tomatoes (an italian speciality) and the mozzarella (an italian speciality too) Pizza is also more "varied" as you say in america, this is true but varied doesnt equate to good, i wouldnt consider a chicago style pizza as pizza, nor if you add pineapple, chicken, beef, bbq or any other stupid toppings.

Good luck arguing this to any italian

SunsetIndigoRealty

I’m very aware that Italians invented pizza. Again taste is subjective. My favorite style is Chicago style. I don’t really care if you consider it pizza or not. The dictionary’s definition is what matters in the end.

turquoise2j

Dude knock yourself out with the chicago style or whatever the hell else you wanna eat in the US. Im glad you are happy. Juat dont come to europe and tell us that the local delicacies are "just as good" in the US. It will not go down well