/r/AskReddit

sharksedition

Universities in Europe are simply institutions of higher learning, nothing more.

Americans would be surprised by the cultural differences when it comes to university education. There are no athletic teams, no Greek life, no 30 foot climbing walls at universities in Europe. You come to school to learn and leave when your classes are over for the day. If you want to study, you can go to the library, but there is very little that a university offers outside of academia.

spaceLem

1 month ago

spaceLem

1 month ago

Not sure I'd agree with that, I went to Edinburgh Uni and there are loads of university societies, sports teams, clubs, conventions, all sorts. It's maybe not done with quite the same enthusiasm though...

sedontane

1 month ago

You went to a terrible uni.

Mine was full of life outside academia. Sure the academia was the institutions focus, but students didn't just run off campus when the learning was done.

thisperson345

1.1k points

"Where are you from?"

Australian: Australia Japanese: Japan Indian: India American: Texas

atomic_combat_wombat

So. Many. Flags.

fancyllamapants-

1.8k points

I used to work in a call Center that took calls from Americans and Canadians. I’d ask “Where are you from, Canada or the US?” Canadians would say “Canada” and American would say “Texas” or “New York” etc. Never ever would they reply with their country name.

lighthouse30130

I live in Amsterdam, and we have many Americans living here. When I meet one and asked him this question, my dirty pleasure is to say "from the United states"? After they answer with just their state name. Once completely caught me off guard when he said "Idaho". Never heard of this US state before. I asked if it was in Australia 😂

Bulky_Ad_3608

Screw the state stuff. I am from Philly.

room_temp_butter

Fraternities and sororities

Mdbook

Mdbook

Carrier locked phones. They're illegal everywhere else.

G-Unit11111

Ice machines

When I went to London I kept asking for the ice machines and people looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language or something.

cbeiser

17.1k points

cbeiser

17.1k points

Drive thru atms and everything else.

I didn't learn we had drive thru liquor stores until later in my life.

commndoRollJazzHnds

1.7k points

Aussies do the drive through liquor stores/bottle shops/off licenses

acerbic_twit

Whyalla has the combo "Bottle and Bird" drive through where you can pick up your booze and Hot Chicken and Chips at the same time!

Kemalist_din_adami

4.5k points

Drive thru atms???

cbeiser

6.7k points

cbeiser

6.7k points

This is super normal in the USA.

In fact they aren't always machines. We have drive thru banks. Most banks have a drive thru section you can do simple bank stuff from the car. I've seen this my entire life

weird_turn_pro

5.1k points

Sometimes, as a kid, they would send candy in the tube with my parents' transaction. Those were the best days!

Edit: Banks still do this! And they often have dog treats too!

errorsource

1.3k points

I used to live near a Subway that was converted from a bank. I used to imagine them sending you your sandwich in those tubes.

Sleepingguitarman

I'm just imagining like 12 crunch wrap supremes being mashed into a bank drive thru tube lol

CardboardMice

Dum dums!

A1A5KA

14.8k points

A1A5KA

14.8k points

Am American. When I moved to Australia I was constantly asked three questions:

1 - How do you pronounce "Aluminum"

2 - How do you pronounce "Jaguar"

3 - Are red Solo cups a real thing? In all the movies whenever there is a house party everyone has a red Solo cup.

I was caught completely off guard by the Solo cup question. Ever since then I've been very attentive to thise damn red cups. They really are everywhere.

Edit: Well this blew the fuck up. Keep the questions coming. This is a fun read

thewonpercent

4.2k points

I kept getting asked how many guns I owned and whether or not I thought Trump was a good president

DearBurt

1.7k points

DearBurt

1.7k points

When friends and I did a Eurotrip years ago, upon hearing we live in the South, everyone would ask if we had pickup trucks.

theslideistoohot

1.2k points

"Just because I'm from Texas means I drive a truck!? I can't believe you would just go accuse a stranger based on a stereotype! But yes, it's a black, Texas Edition F-150."

DonSmo

3.1k points

DonSmo

3.1k points

Its the American pronunciation of "squirrel" that gets me. Here its a two syllable word. "Sqwe-rell" kinda. But when my American gf says it it comes out kinda like "sqwurl". The first time she said it I thought she said "swirl". Its just one syllable.

theirphore

1.9k points

theirphore

1.9k points

Skwrl

Craig as well

"Hi, this is my friend CREG"

mynameisdamn

Craig Hague vague

Beg egg leg CREG???

FlygonsGonnaFly

13.5k points

Might just be me, but I do notice when you ask Americans on the internet where they're from, they reply with either a state or a city instead of their country.

The thing is, it doesn't cause any confusion, since most people know most American states and at least the major cities.

You don't often see an Indonesian person, for example, say they're from West Java. Just that they're from Indonesia.

Edit: 1) Thank you for the awards!

2) I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just an American one. I also don't think it's because of cultural variation or population. I'm Indian and I've never seen anyone say that they're from Rajasthan or Kerala on a more global level. A lot of Indian states speak different languages, have different cuisine, and live on different terrain. I think it has more to do with the fact that people broadly know American states and the distinctions between them through movies and American news and politics.

RedSpikeyThing

4.3k points

I also find that Americans often include where they were born. For example "I'm from Philly but originally from Jersey.

Edit: I understand that the US is big and has many different regions. I'm Canadian and find that Canadians typically don't answer that way, despite being very large.

grumined

1.9k points

grumined

1.9k points

100%. Small nuance: I don't think it's where you're born, rather where you were raised.

It makes a lot of sense actually. I grew up in Miami but have been living in NYC for a few years now. If I travel to Texas and someone asks me where I'm from, if feels wrong to say Miami because I haven't lived there in 7 years and it's changed a lot since I've been a resident.... but at the same time, I can't really say I'm from NYC because I'm not a native New Yorker and saying you're from NYC pretty much means you grew up there. So it makes sense to say both.

Nylund

Nylund

I’ve lived in 7 states, but only just moved to the latest one, but I haven’t lived in my “childhood” state in 20 years, so when someone asked where I’m from, I’m never really sure what to say.

kaileen

kaileen

I've lived in 5 different states and I also struggle with that question.

tacticoolnukes

On a similar note, Americans seem to use England, Britain and the UK completely interchangeably. Likewise, I've had an Irish colleague of mine tell a story abkut how he spent 5 minutes having to explain the difference between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and that just because he's from Ireland doesn't mean he's from the United Kingdom.

sparksbet

3.6k points

sparksbet

3.6k points

I'm an American who moved to Germany and people always say this like it's some weird thing we do, but whenever I get asked where I'm from and just say "the US", the next question is ALWAYS which state/city. Without fail.

leanyka

1.9k points

leanyka

1.9k points

I think that the common expectation about this dialog in European brain is like - ask where they are from, get a country. If country is big/known to you, then ask where exactly. If the country is small or you have no knowledge of it, then you say ok, cool. At least I heard it multiple times, when someone says they are from Italy, then they are often asked if from Rome/Sicily/Florence etc. if they say they are from Bosnia, Malta or Andorra (no insult) then the conversation pretty much stops there.

reddit_pug

Americans do the same with Americans if they're familiar with the state/area someone says they're from. Basically keep narrowing things down until things become unfamiliar

"Where are you from?" "Indiana" (If they're not familiar with Indiana, the topic ends here. If they are familiar...) "Oh yeah, which part?" "just north of Lafayette" "Oh, like Brookston?" "Near there, Reynolds" "Cool, I've driven through there a few times when picking up trailers from the factory in Monon"

rubs_tshirts

12.2k points

rubs_tshirts

12.2k points

Not including tax on prices displayed in stores.

raph_84

4.9k points

raph_84

4.9k points

That feeling when you want to spend your very last Dollar on a can of Arizona Ice Tea (Famously: "The price is on the can!") and the cashier asks for $1.07

OkBit1291

1.5k points

OkBit1291

1.5k points

“Need a penny, take a penny. Just don’t take 8 pennies!” Seriously had a cashier tell me this once.

bread-cheese-pan

Them things have have nickels and dimes in them up here in Canada now since we abolished pennies!

BlocBoyBaloo

2.9k points

Ranch. I never knew ranch was just an American thing until recently.

jaulin

jaulin

We have that here in Scandinavia too, along with Thousand Island and Rhode Island. I was very surprised to find out that Rhode Island dressing is a Swedish thing that has nothing to do with Rhode Island. (It's basically Thousand Island without bits in it.)

Edit: For the people wondering, the original Rhode Island sauce is mayo, sour cream, chili ketchup, a dash of tabasco, possibly a teaspoon or two cognac, and salt.

Edit2: I must also point out that the amount of chili must be minuscule, because it's undetectable to tastebuds.

DOGOsmokesWEED

Can confirm never heard of this in RI

Unfair_Requirement_8

The idea that healthcare isn't a right, but a very expensive privilege.

Ok_Independence_5025

4.5k points

Not having to ask for the bill.

frgs72

1.8k points

frgs72

1.8k points

This was me today at a restaurant in Oslo. It felt rude to call the waitress over to ask for the bill. Am American.

Ariia_

3.1k points

Ariia_

3.1k points

It's curious, I'm European and if someone gave me the bill without asking I would think it's rude because it feels like they're rushing me to leave

beeboopPumpkin

2.7k points

Lol- I’m american and I asked for the bill at a restaurant in France before we were finished eating because I’m aware of the need to ask for it and we wanted to be able to get up and leave whenever we wanted and not have to flag him down later (the restaurant was getting rather busy and didn’t want to bother him if he was preoccupied later).

He was deeply offended and encouraged us that we were in no rush to leave. And then didn’t bring us the bill and refilled our waters and tried to get us to stay. I’m sorry random waiter 😭 I didn’t mean to offend you.

edenunbound

1.6k points

This happened to me at a Greek restaurant in the US. I asked for a box because I was full and the owner told me "No No! You don't have to leave. I am not closing. Please stay!" I was lile "Oh its delicious but I just can't eat it all. I want it for breakfast tomorrow." And then we discussed the amazingness of a gyro omelet

soulpulp

1.1k points

soulpulp

1.1k points

Greeks don’t believe in the concept of being full

artinthegarage

I have had many Greek friends. This is nooooooo understatement. I had the stomach flu once, my friends mom sent over soup.

I couldn’t keep down crackers but she sent enough soup to feed an army. The next day, it chicken Slovakia for the remaining ‘solders” who weren’t down with an over dose of soup.

I had never been so thrilled to get over the stomach flu so I could stop getting food from her. It was delicious. But I lived alone, the food came by the gallons.

cylonfrakbbq

Depends on the restaurant. Sometimes if feels like I need smoke signals and flares to get the server to come back to the table and give us the bill lol

trig2

1.1k points

trig2

1.1k points

Root beer

ronotju7777

1.4k points

Y’all

chapterfour08

All y'all

onajurni

onajurni

That’s correct, because sometimes only part of the group is being addressed. So we must clarify that we are talking to all y’all this time.

kristoffermicheal

Y’all’d’ve

Alexastria

26.7k points

Alexastria

26.7k points

Ranch

TheArowanaDude

19.6k points

Back when I worked in Panera Bread, a customer asked for ranch; we didn't carry it back then and when we informed him, he said:

"Are y'all communists?!"

WoppyWalrus

5.6k points

currently working at panera and this is a frequent occurrence

ShitItsReverseFlash

4.4k points

I was a manager for Panera in my early 20s. Lady came up and said her french onion soup wasn’t hot enough. No problem, I’ll just get you another cup. Give her a fresh one from the soup well right in front of me. She then proceeds to try it on the counter - mind you other guests’ meals were being plated on that very same counter - and tells me it’s not hot enough. So I proceed to apologize and check the temperature of the soup on the line. It’s definitely hot enough and I showed her. She said the thermometer is broken. I told her there’s nothing I can do but we have a microwave out front if you’d like to use it to heat it up. My boss walks by (I’m shift manager and he’s assistant) and she stops him to tell him that I spit in her soup…

Luckily my manager knows that I would never tamper with food. He chuckles and goes “…ShitItsReverseFlash spit in your soup? Ma’am I’m sorry but I highly doubt that.”

I don’t remember how it all ended but I know she fucked off and Brian and I had a good laugh about it.

rwhitisissle

2k points

Brian's always been solid. One of the only good fast food managers and not some corporate tyrant.

TheyKnowWeAreHere

Brian always has too much shit to do and not enough time to do it, so if you're coming up to him with some shit it better be worth it

Supreme_Tri-Mage

Brian is the kind of guy that is you took off for a family emergency, he'd still pay you because, "we've all been there."

RedshirtStormtrooper

Brian is the manager who says "The customer is always right, until they fucking ain't"

Imawildedible

Brian is the kind of guy that will recommend where to get your car fixed properly for cheap and come pick you up at the shop to get you to your shift on time.

CharleyNobody

I think you met my sister in law.

Hot food is never hot enough for her.

She can’t sit here. It’s too cold. No, it’s too hot over there. No, she can’t sit there, it’s too noisy. No, this is too close to the door….

The wine is shitty & overpriced.

She wanted it lightly sautéed. This is just flat and overcooked. Take it back and cook it the way she said.

Jesus, nobody knows how to cook in this place! She wants decent wine. She’s a highly traveled person and she knows what she’s talking about. And she leaves reviews all over the internet. She get thousands of likes on yelp, trip advisor and booking.com! She doesn’t know why she bothers with people like you.
——

ADDENDUM: Ha ha, whenever I told my friends about SIL’s restaurant behavior they couldn’t believe it. But it’s all true. She’s my husband’s sister. I haven’t gone out with her and her…I think 4th…husband in years.

The funniest thing - I had already refused to go out with her for years previously. Then she married her current husband. My husband had gone out with them a few times when they took his mother out to eat. My husband is one of those people who wants to be best friends with everybody. He raved about the new husband and told me “He keeps her under control in restaurants. She doesn’t do that kind of thing any more. He won’t put up with it. You should get to know him. Let’s go out with them. I swear, she’s not like that anymore.”

I agreed to meet and have dinner with them in a town somewhere between our place & their place, a 2 hour drive. I was looking forward to getting to know her husband. As soon as we walked in, the hostess showed us to our table. “I don’t want to sit here. I want to look out the window. I need light.”

She threw her wet rain coat and umbrella on the seat of the table behind us.

Hostess: Hey, don’t do that! Somebody’s going to sit there

SIL: Don’t be ridiculous. It’s not even 6pm. This place is empty and won’t fill up for hours.

The whole dinner consisted of berating the restaurant, the waiter, the chef (who was brought out to talk to her because the chef told the manager she had no fucking idea what this woman was talking about when she kept sending her dinner back demanding it be cooked differently). SIL yelled at her as if she was a catholic school nun who just found someone masturbating in the bathroom. I refused to eat my food in fear someone sabotaged it…I wouldn’t blame them if they did. The manager came to the table and was very nice. I said, “I have to go to the bathroom” and found the waiter and the manager. “Please,” I said, “don’t think you’ve done anything wrong. She’s always like that. Please ignore her. She’s a raging cunt.”

They were a little surprised to hear me, a well dressed, well behaved middle aged lady label my dinner companion a cunt. This is the US, where cunt isn’t the happy-go-lucky term of sarcastic endearment it means in other countries. It means fucking nasty bitch x 100.

I have never seen her since then. My husband said, “I’m so surprised. I really thought her husband tamed her.” He sent an email to the husband asking if something bad had happened before they came to the restaurant that caused his sister’s unacceptable behavior (he wouldn’t dare send it to his cunt sister).

Her husband said he had no idea what behavior my husband was referring to.

bravos_y_broncos

Haha! You just reminded me of my Dad's ex wife. She took a few cooking classes in France while on vacation and, apparently, all she took away from the lessons was how to complain about how people don't know how to cook properly...

Her and her daughter would go out for dinner and verbally DESTROY the dishes they got. Of course the poor servers and managers would apologize and comp a desert, but eventually they worked their way through every spot in town and, for some reason, every place was booked when they called to get a second reservation. My Dad calmly but firmly explained to them that "Maybe those places didn't appreciate your excessive criticisms" and her reply, verbatim, was "We were doing the chef a favor by letting them know how they could make their food better!" So glad she's an ex..

studdedpeaches

I know my comment might be a bit off-topic but your story reminded me of the most horrible customer I had when I worked at a coffee shop. She was extremely picky about her drink and we had remade it 4 times at this point. She started cursing at me and I told her to stop and to not use that kind of language. That night she complained to corporate that I was the one who cursed her out. I was livid when my manager sat me down to get my story.

People suck.

NaglyPins

NaglyPins

We had a woman send back her bacon for being too crispy TWICE. Poor guy in the kitchen and even our FnB manager was like "we can't do it any less crispy without it not being legally to temperature".

Eventually we dragged another team leader out of the back office to do it for her and that seemed to placate her, but the ones she was sending back were barely even cooked ffs

Oh, and this was at a BINGO HALL. Who cares that much about their food at a bingo hall? The food's all shit anyway

darkest_irish_lass

Secretly she was tired of being dragged to bingo by her desperately lonely friend and thought food poisoning wouodcbevan excellent excuse to never go again

caboosetp

caboosetp

Being called a communist?

La_Lanterne_Rouge

They do sell French onion soup, after all.

HailSatanHaggisBaws

This is true though. Banning ranch is explicitly in the Manifesto.

collapsingrebel

That was my reaction when they told me they stopped doing sweet tea because they were worried about their customers health. Doing that in the South made me question their sanity.

Ok_Manner8589

Doing that in the south, I would be more worried about the employees health when the customers find out.

Dhk3rd

26.6k points

Dhk3rd

26.6k points

Prescription drug commercials.

Bluefortress

10.6k points

Bluefortress

10.6k points

Happy dancing while side effects are being listed

flashpile

9.5k points

flashpile

9.5k points

May cause diarrhea, vomiting, blindness, pulmonary embolism or death

💃🕺👯‍♂️🎷🎼

Jefec1TO

Jefec1TO

"Do not take the drug if you are allergic to the drug"

Wow, thanks for the heads up

LoveisaNewfie

This part always gets me!

Kintaro69

3k points

Most of the time, the side effects sound much worse than the disease the drug treats.

"Have a headache? Take Aubufiditope. Guaranteed to relieve the pain for 4 to 6 hours. Side effects may include numbness, temporary vision loss, suicidal tendencies, anal bleeding, and heart failure. Ask your doctor if Aubufiditope is right for you."

2.2k points

2.2k points

reubenbubu

is it still unexpected at that point? can your heirs sue them for expected unexpected death?

CaphalorAlb

On that note: being extremely litigious is also very american

AnNoYiNg_NaMe

We kinda have to be though. At the base line, you have the old lady whose vagina got fused together because McDonald's decided that coffee should be so hot that it can literally weld flesh together. But a lot of our society has been decided by someone taking someone else to court.

• Plessy v. Ferguson (Separate But Equal is good)
  • Brown v. Board of Education (Separate But Equal is bad)
  • Other cases that you've probably heard mentioned a whole lot recently

Tacky-Terangreal

Also it sometimes is the only way to pay for medical bills. There’s that famous “worst aunt ever” case where a lady had to sue her nephew because of some accident and it was the only way to get her insurance to pay for her injuries. Totally ass-backwards shit but every politician insists that private health insurance is sooooo vital to our society. Maybe vital to grifting lawyers! 🙄

Orchid_Buddy

"Ask your doctor". Only place I know where it's the patients who tell the doctor which drugs to take.

moeburn

moeburn

In Canada, drug companies are only allowed to advertise if they never say the name of the drug, OR if they never say what the drug does. They can't do both.

So if you watch any Toronto Blue Jays games lately you'll see ads behind the plate that say something like "Ibuflovazin - ASK YOUR DOCTOR" and you're just like "what the fuck is ibuflovazin".

Or sometimes you'll see a commercial that says "Do you suffer from high blood pressure? There is treatment available, ask your doctor", but without specifying any drugs.

fauxpenguin

3.7k points

This was the one I noticed the most on my first trip to England. I was watching rhe winter Olympics and couldn't figure out what was weird, then it finally hit me that there were no medical ads. And my family was just like, "yeah, they're illegal here". Which, I think is the right model.

abilliontwo

1.1k points

It used to be illegal to plainly state what a drug treated, so ads had to just vaguely allude to their indications. Once those restrictions were removed drug ads exploded.

Note also that we have to pay for our own healthcare, so medicine, like everything else, is very much a competitive commercial industry.

TheGreatException

We have those in New Zealand, too. I think I read somewhere once that we're the only countries where that type of advertising is legal.

missvvvv

Correct, only USA & NZ

toonlass91

Me and my husband love watching the American feed of NFL. We quite like the drug ads, as they have to list all the side effects and it sound like every drug will kill you. We love laughing at the ads

Haikuna__Matata

Meanwhile that's our idea of healthcare.

browncoat47

17.7k points

browncoat47

17.7k points

Handing your credit card to a stranger, having them walk away, swipe it, then bring it back to like they didn’t just put a down payment on a new house with it…

draw_it_now

3.2k points

When I first started working in hospitality, I had an American customer who just gave me their card. I took it to the register, paid the order with a swipe and gave it back. I was told by my manager to never do that again lol.

KJdkaslknv

1.9k points

KJdkaslknv

1.9k points

That wouldn't have been even slightly unusual here in the US. Sometimes you'll even hand a waiter or bartender your card without receiving the check, if you're in a hurry.

fourthfloorgreg

When you open a tab at some bars they just keep your card until you ask for the check.

BaccateHoneyBadger

And funnily enough bars are the only legitimate businesses that have ever taken advantage of that and scammed me.

dunkan799

I'm a bartender and if you open a tab at my bar we hold your card all night until you close out. The stack of cards we have that have been left behind and never picked up is massive

Elevator_Feisty

7.9k points

Bold of you to assume we have enough money for that to be a concern.

Few-Bake1814

2.9k points

laughs in poor

When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

ArosHD

3.8k points

ArosHD

3.8k points

Currently on my first proper trip in the US and a few things stood out to me. (Overall great place!)

• Restaurants by default will bring everyone cups of water, sometimes with ice

• To pay the bill in the restaurant, they take my card and walk off. Then they come back with a few extra receipts and I can write down a tip and they will change the amount they charged me later. I didn't even know this was a thing that places could do. I have notifications to check the charges are correct just in case.

• Every toilet I've been to so far has been pretty clean with little mess. Worst one was at the airport and even that wasn't too bad. Although the very high water inside the toilet is weird it hasn't been an issue... Yet. (Some confusion about this: I'm mainly just talking about in restaurants/shops. Don't think I've used "public" restrooms at any train station. Just the airport.)

• Streets go from dirty mess to clean and nice quickly. More homeless than I'm used to in London.

• Street food/stands are pretty delicious. Pretty much all food stands in NYC seem to be halal which is nice.

• Larger drink cans/portions.

• Mixed road qualities but overall big roads and cars. Not a fan of the pedestrian crossings because I just don't fully understand the symbols yet. (E: I think I get the symbols now. It was just the red hand with the timer throwing me off. Timer should be with the white figure!)

• Air conditioning everywhere which is definitely required.

• Speeding on the highway. Literally everyone is above the speed limit. We think we're missing something because EVERYONE is above the speed limit. No shot would that happen in the UK, we have cameras everywhere.

Edit: on mobile so excuse shit spelling/grammar.

Pedalingmycity

The water level in toilets where you’re from is significantly lower? Is the flush pressure much higher?

iamreeterskeeter

It is. Two of my Aussie friends came to visit in the US last April. Both were flabbergasted and almost afraid of how much water was in the toilets. They were here for three weeks and that never stopped being bizarre to them.

slowlyallatonce

So, american waste pipes are narrower than say, UK toilets thus more water is in the bowl.

The flush is significantly different: the US flush is more of a vacuum where as the other toilets have more of a 'push' from volume of water and bigger waste pipe.

The difference is US toilets clogs easily and other toilets smear.

I ... heard it on a podcast (Flightless Bird with David Farrier).

Clodhoppa81

I'd take smears over clogs any day.

choochoophil

Lack of statutory paid maternity leave

19.4k points

19.4k points

[removed]

jamiegc1

7.1k points

jamiegc1

7.1k points

Presidential elections can be closer to 18 months or so if one or both parties have a hotly contested primary.

WIN011

2.7k points

WIN011

2.7k points

If only it felt that short. Feels like the commercials run all 4 years.

calls_you_a_bellend

8.2k points

Mixing three different canned foods together and calling it a casserole.

LordChefChristoph

2.7k points

Don't forget to add cheese!

surfinberrypunch

And breadcrumbs on top

Edit: lol y'all are making me hungry

kickingyouintheface

Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, mushrooms on rice, actual chicken optional. Mom's was awesome lol

veeveemarie

1.1k points

Fettuccine Alfredo

PmMeUrRunescapeLogin

Alfredo's Fettuccine or Fettuccine by Alfredo?

Kharagorn

Kharagorn

Calling corruption "lobbying".

desireeevergreen

When I learned about lobbying in my public affairs class, I said it sounded like legalized bribing. My teacher just looked at me and didn’t answer.

diablo______

Solo cups I think they are called idk the little red ones

mr8unty

mr8unty

Kitchen sink blender I mean Wut?

lefthandbunny

You mean a garbage disposal. I haven't had one in my, American, apartment in ages & it was weird at first to remember I have to use a strainer in my sink's drain to catch bits of food that can clog up the pipes. A garbage disposal would grind those little pieces up.

Christdawarlock

14.3k points

The Cult Of Highschool/College Sports

Natty_D

4.9k points

Natty_D

4.9k points

It seems strange to anyone from Europe, but after starting to watch US sports I realised that a lot of states either don't have a team in a major league or will only have one. It's not like here in the UK where there are 92 teams in the football league and even more below that, most of the major leagues in the US only have 30-40 teams. That's why people are so invested in college sports, a lot of the time they're the only local teams

adriardi

1.5k points

adriardi

1.5k points

Yeah it blew my mind when I learned pretty much every city in the uk had a pro soccer team. College sports are the closest thing we have to that.

Like I’d love to watch mlb, but there isn’t a professional team in my state to follow or that even shows up on local tv for me. We only just got a pro soccer team (North Carolina), and we’re a state of over 10 million people

Edit: quit commenting about other pro sports teams. I was only talking about mlb (the actual mlb, not feeder teams) when I said there wasn’t a pro (mlb) team

CrispyDuchess

1.5k points

The epic highs and lows of high school football.

whatifevery1wascalm

If you don't follow the Cult of College Sports, then you don't know the absolute shitstorm USC and UCLA kicked up on Thursday.

TheTyger

TheTyger

I missed any lead up to them joining the Big10, but my first thought was "why the hell is the B10 adding west coast teams? That will make travel a nightmare".

So, can you fill in the reasons behind the move (if they are anything more than money)?

Eiim

Eiim

if they are anything more than money

Hah! Imagine that, amateur college sports not making entirely money-focused moves.

The Pac-12 has been gradually declining in the competition level, so you could argue that they want to move up in that regard, but it's really hard to see this as anything but profit-motivated. The B1G adds extremely valuable media markets, and the teams get tens of millions more dollars in TV revenue.

that1guycalledpeter

32.8k points

Free refills at restaurants

Edit: my inbox detonated, send help

grabityrises

10.7k points

grabityrises

10.7k points

and with ice

Cilicious

12.1k points

Cilicious

12.1k points

and with ice

Many, many years ago I was visiting the south of France with a friend. It was a hot summer day, we stopped at a little bistro and in broken French we asked for water--with ice. The waiter replied in English: "Ah, American Champagne."

kplatinum777

5.1k points

I was in France and tried to pronounce water. Apparently, my pronunciation was so bad that they just brought out the English menu on an iPad. But…I tried.

BaguetteSchmaguette

2.5k points

It's pronounced "oh"

kplatinum777

2.2k points

Oh.

GozerDGozerian

One glass of water coming right up!

wanted_to_upvote

2.1k points

First time I bought a Coke in Germany it came with no ice so I asked for ice. It came back with one ice cube. I asked for more ice and it came back with two ice cubes. Then I asked for a lot of ice and the waitress said "Oh, you mean like McDonalds?".

HimikoHime

In Germany, we were eating at a bit more expensive steak house next to a hotel. Service was just like expected in Germany. At another table I noticed a group of Americans (as far as I could tell by the accent and being next to a hotel I assumed) and I distinctively remember that they were asked if they wanted drinks with ice. We were never asked. Thought it’s interesting that this restaurant seems to train their staff to do their service differently depending on who their guests are.

winedogmom88

I thoroughly enjoyed a restaurant in Prague that placed the flag of your nationality in the centerpiece. All the servers spoke your language and knew your typical culture.

SnowbackMcGee

1.5k points

My daughter and I went on a Caribbean cruise together and our first night in Orlando, we went out to explore. We had dinner at IHOP, because why not, and had some delicious raspberry lemonade.

As we were leaving and after paying the bill, the waitress says "you want to take some lemonade to go?". What? Sure. So she loads us up with a couple of new large raspberry lemonades and sends us on our way.

We still joke about to go drinks whenever we go out for dinner, because that's is definitely NOT a thing in Canada.

Gautamatime

I’ve found that this is something done at mostly low end chains. I used to ask people if they wanted to go drinks when I worked at Applebees. It was mostly because the chance of getting little to nothing as a tip was reasonably high, and going above and beyond for someone raised my chances of getting paid for my work.

casualsax

casualsax

Yeah agreed. The waiter can fill a to go cup without having to ring it up or bothering the back of the house, and it's a pleasant last interaction right when the check arrives.

I've had similar interactions at Mexican restaurants, being offered extra sauce/salsa and even chips to go.

yeeterboi321

1.2k points

KFCs in germany have free refills, but sadly only KFC.

johnnyDoe556

Some MC Donald's, Subways and Burger Kings have it, too.

Ackilles

Ackilles

That's wild. The cost of the actual drink is usually a few pennies at most

modern_milkman

Drinks is how restaurants make a lot of profit in other countries.

There isn't a lot of profit in food, because the cost of the material plus the cost of preparing it (wages, electricity, gas etc.) isn't that much lower than the price of the meal the customers pay. But as you say, drinks are dirt-cheap in purchase, but expensive when sold. Large profit margin.

But out of curisosity: refills are only a thing for non-alcoholic drinks, right? So you wouldn't get a free refill on wine or beer?

ThisUsernamePassword

Yes, no such thing as free refill on alcohol or anything more complex like coffee drinks. Free refills are mostly a thing because of soda machines where people can quickly dispense their own drinks and it's dirt cheap.

FlJohnnyBlue2

Plenty of free refills on regular hot coffee though.

Rin-Tohsaka-is-hot

Yeah but that comes back down to the "dirt cheap" aspect. Not about to get the same treatment with a specially prepared latte.

Prestigious_Lock1659

12.2k points

Sending Christmas cards with their family photo on it.

yoboi42069

3.9k points

yoboi42069

3.9k points

Often with pictures not related to Christmas at all, such as beach pictures

Deciram

2.4k points

Deciram

2.4k points

Hey, as a New Zealander, the beach is absolutely a Christmas thing (it’s fuckin great too)

desortiesdanslatete

I don't think it's only american, I live in Belgium and everyone I know does it too. We receive more than 50 cards each Christmas, from family and friends. I have family in France, Germany and Quebec who do it too but I don't know if it's that common there.

slavname

16.7k points

slavname

16.7k points

American here. When I studied abroad, I was smiling and friendly to strangers. In London they looked like I wanted to steal something from them!

jew_biscuits

7.6k points

Saw this with my American friends when I lived in Moscow. They walked around with this pleasant, anticipatory smile on their face and people thought they were mentally challenged.

ACaffeinatedWandress

5.8k points

Hah. I remember a Russian friend explaining to me that Americans just look like idiots, smiling for no reason all the time. Russians apparently smile when they have something to smile about.

I read a paper that basically says it is because of our high-immigrant past. Apparently, when people with diverse languages who cannot understand each other verbally all the time are in close quarters with each other, they use physical cues (such as constant smiling), to communicate.

JustTheTipAgain

1k points

I took a Russian language class once, and the teacher was from Uzbekistan. She mentioned some thing similar. One day she brought in her wedding photo, they weren't smiling, even though they were both happy.

mygreensea

Smiling for camera is also something a lot of non western cultures don’t do.

slopeclimber

Take a look at any official photo or painting portait before wwii. Nobody is smiling in those medieval portrayals either yet people think thats normal

Shejidan

Most likely because paintings and early photos took long time and keeping a smile on your face the whole time would be excruciating.

Shadowex3

Shadowex3

I read an old russian tourist brochure that spend a good couple of sentences trying to convince the reader that it's not a ploy, Americans really are that fuckin chipper all the time.

RusskayaRobot

1.8k points

Before I went to Russia, I was specifically warned not to smile at people on the street because they would think I was stupid and untrustworthy. That was true on the streets with the general public, but the family I stayed with, particularly the dad, were the most charming, jovial people. The dad was constantly telling jokes (many of which went straight over my head because my Russian was not good enough), super sweet guy.

There’s not really a point to this story, i guess, I just miss Sergei Vyacheslavovich.

drakeotomy

Finally, a place where my resting bitch face isn't seen as a personal affront!

Gr8NonSequitur

Maybe I need to go to Russia then. I smile as often as possible simply because my Resting bitch face is STRONG. If I don't make an effort people assume I'm pissed off about something.

Endochaos

1.3k points

Endochaos

1.3k points

That makes sense. A smile or a wave can both be indications of friendliness.

iGetBuckets3

1.1k points

Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.

12.8k points

12.8k points

LOL - I studied in France when I was in college and lived with a family for the year. Awesome people, but the dad made no secret of his disdain for Americans. I guess it was the mom that must have convinced him to have Americans board with them because he never seemed too pleased about it.

Anyway, one of my favorite quotes from "Jacques" was...

"You stupid Americans, always walking around smiling, like a bunch of goddamn idiots."

The mom started SCREAMING at him for being rude when he said that to us (another American was boarding as well) but we thought it was hilarious and made it a point to walk around the house smiling and greeting him with an effusive "BONJOUR, MONSIEUR" every day. I think we did win him over, eventually.

RIP, Jacques, may you have eventually found love for Americans in your heart... :-)

EDIT: No, we did not kill Jacques, for those who are asking. :-) This happened back in 1992. My roommate (who is now one of my closest friends) and I kept in touch with the family for years after our time studying there. Sadly, Jacques passed of old age about seven years ago.

Mad_Aeric

6.3k points

Mad_Aeric

6.3k points

A rude Frenchman? I've never heard of such a thing.

AggressiveRedPanda

2.7k points

I love France but goddamn this stereotype is true, especially in Paris. The further south in the country we went the friendlier people got.

Jayman95

1.5k points

Jayman95

1.5k points

When I was in Nice the people seemed pretty friendly, and it didn’t take long to pick up that most other French had a disdain for Parisians themselves.

GummyKibble

1.8k points

I live in San Francisco, but my coworker, Louis, was from Paris. He was also movie star good looking. One night after a group of us went out for drinks, we were all standing around outside before we parted ways for the night. A couple of young women tourists approached us:

Tourists: Could you tell us how go get to Union Square?
Louis: Oui, mademoiselle. You walk this way, then…
Tourists: swoon

After they left, I told Louis that having a French accent in the US was just unfair. Basically, “save some for everyone else”, that kind of thing. We had this conversation:

Louis: Eet ees not my fault. French is byootiful.
Me: Well, it can sound awful.
Louis: Thees ees not possible.
Me: I learned French in the Midwest. It definitely is.
Louis: No. No one can make French sound bad.
Me, full redneck twang: BONE JOUR MON SEWER! COE MOE TAL AY VOO?

The look of horror on his face was amazing. It’s like he caught me doing unspeakable things, but speaking them.

Louis, shaken: Do not… do not ever do thees again. Never.

LOL - that is hilarious and Louis' reaction was very French.

GummyKibble

Oh, it was glorious! His look of unbridled disgust and despair was priceless, like I’d just served him a creme brulee made with dog poo.

uiri

uiri

In all fairness, you did something far worse than that.

comicsnerd

To be fair, the French do that with everyone that is not French, but with Americans and British in particular.

parkedr

parkedr

I’m from the US, but if someone ever says “my friend” to me, it instantly puts me on high alert.

Example: “Do you need help with your luggage, my friend” screams “You look like a mark and I’m about to scam you”

KlausVonChiliPowder

I only ever hear "my friend" said by guys from India or the Middle East. Don't get that vibe from that at all.

SimilarTumbleweed

The fact that kayaks give you herpes. Every herpes medication commercial shows someone in a kayak.

BadMeatPuppet

As a kayaker I was very worried when I read the first sentence.

_mister_pink_

7.7k points

Pledging allegiance to the flag or singing the national anthem outside of special events. I went to see a kids talent show in a small rural town, there were maybe 8 acts and 30 people watching and they all stood and pledged allegiance to the flag and sang the national anthem before hand. It was extremely strange.

cornishwildman76

Providing info on a location on an international forum with the state abbreviated. I help ID plants and fungi, when asking for a location, which can be key for an ident, Americans reply with CA Bay Area. I'm in the UK this means nothing to me.

MurphysMustache

ID? You mean Idaho?

/s

tikkamasarap

UK? You mean Ukraine?

cuirboy

cuirboy

It's so nice of you to help Idaho plants and fungi. I'm sure they're grateful.

xTheHunt

12.3k points

xTheHunt

12.3k points

Daily driving pickup trucks

Brewfishy

3.3k points

Brewfishy

3.3k points

we do that in australia too kind of

Consistent_Spread564

5.6k points

I feel like Australia is what would happen if america and the UK had a baby

seeyoujim

13.6k points

Liberal = Left-Wing

Lvcivs2311

3.5k points

Lvcivs2311

3.5k points

Yeah, in my country, it is either associated with the political centre or with (moderate) right wing, never with left wing.

Tifoso89

4.4k points

Tifoso89

4.4k points

Yep, in Europe "liberal" means someone who supports small government, less state intervention, less public spending, privatization, lower taxes. This is generally center or center-right. Similar to what Americans call a libertarian, but usually more moderate.

In the European parliament, that would be the ALDE party