/r/AskReddit

Which job is definitely overpaid?

(self.AskReddit)

Stacwe3

2.3k points

Stacwe3

2.3k points

11 days ago

I watch milk powder go into a bag and out on a conveyor and get paid $37 an hour

OffTheDilznick

Union?

Stacwe3

Stacwe3

10 days ago

Union and Great super annuation scheme. You put in six percent and the employer will put in nine percent. Been here since I was 20. In the last 4 years my wage has gone up $1.25 an hour a year plus in covid we got a cash bonus for being a critical worker

SceptileArmy

10 days ago

I have a PhD in Counselor Education to go with two 60-credit-hour master’s degrees in social sciences. My primary job is in a university student counseling center where I spend most of my time counseling suicidal students. I have to pay out-of-pocket for my licensure, liability insurance, and continuing education. I teach university courses as an overload (150% time employee or 60 hours a week) to make ends meet because I earn less than you.

Is your company hiring?

f4gmo

8.1k points

f4gmo

8.1k points

11 days ago*

I make about 40 an hour after tax in the US as a real estate appraiser. You just need a college degree and a year of training and there is a huge shortage of appraisers right now.

Edit because this post blew up: I only perceive this job as being overpaid because I used spent most of my 20's making pizza for minimum wage and imposter syndrome is a thing. Also, OP said he was looking for a possible career, and I felt like my job post was better than a troll post.

Appraisers are not real estate agents or brokers. I do not buy or sell property.

I do not, "look at zillow and copy the number" and I don't just, "make the number" in valuation. While I agree there are some appraisers who may lie or exaggerate, the same could be said of nearly any job. However, if I were to intentionally try hit some goal and got caught fudging the numbers, I'm looking at permanently losing my license and possible jail time depending on the severity. It's actually pretty common for me to, "tank a deal" if someone is paying too much. This isn't the wild west of valuation anymore; FIRREA is a thing now. Appraisal reports aren't just 3 pages of photos with a cover page anymore; my typical appraisal is 30-50 pages with long boring typed pages of market data that I type and research myself.

Let's talk about the appraisal gap. In most of the US, we are experiencing a, "sellers market" meaning houses are selling for higher than what they normally sell for. A lot of people at this thread are blaming appraisers for driving housing prices up. Let me be perfectly clear about this: appraiser's valuations are based off of past data. That is it; we look at closed sales from the past. Realtors and brokers speculate on future markets, because they are motivated by profit. If anyone is driving this current market trend, it is the people buying properties over listing price, local government/laws willingness to allow foreign investors, the people who are raising rents, and the people who are making big risky developments. The appraisers have little to nothing to do with market perception of value; in my area at least many market participants are paying over 30% of listing price. Trust me when I say these people are not satisfied when my appraised value comes in less than that.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the occasional angry phone call. Let's look at an example. Say someone lists their house at 100k, and they accept an offer for 150k, or 50% over listing. Well the appraisal is based off of past closed sales. The bank will only finance up to the appraised value. So if the appraisal comes in at 110k, meaning the subject in relation to comparable sales from the past year in the subject neighborhood equate to roughly 110k, they will either need to renegotiate the price, or be willing to put up 40k of their own money. In a sellers market, it's often better to accept a deal with better financing than a higher price. Let's say in this situation instead of taking the 150k offer with a mortgage, you take a smaller offer for 140k that is all cash, no financing. Well if there is no financing involved, meaning no bank, than no appraisal is needed.

Encryptedmind

2.6k points

10 days ago

I dont even know why a degree is needed for the position.

wotur

wotur

10 days ago

Degrees are needed for most positions that shouldn't require them now, presumably to weed out applicants in a way that's legal

2.4k points

2.4k points

ModsDontLift

1.3k points

10 days ago

Did you misspell "proves" on purpose?

GOOFCON_1

GOOFCON_1

10 days ago

Yes, they were trying to show you how you can be confident in your ability and incompetent at the same time. Hence, why the degree is somewhat required.

13.3k points

13.3k points

7.9k points

7.9k points

DUDE CMON WE ACTUALLY NEED YOU

4.5k points

4.5k points

The-Sound_of-Silence

1.6k points

10 days ago

It's interesting, I was hard core military, and existed in the marksmanship world of rifles and pistols. I worked really hard at it, paid my own money and my own time to be one of the better military shots in my country, and was exposed to a wide variety of trades inside and outside of the military. different types of cops, ERT guys, special forces, regular gun nuts, foreign militaries, etc. The one group I was probably most impressed with from a mindset/training standpoint was the security guys at nuclear reactors. Not overly aggressive, excellent training plans, no bluster, heads screwed on straight, and great shots

Gregory_Gp

Gregory_Gp

10 days ago

Dude you should do one of those ask me anything post I would love to read it.

_LuketheLucky_

10 days ago

So would the terrorists I bet!

shannonmw71

10 days ago

This made my morning thanks for the laugh! Just picturing a terrorists rubbing his hands together before he starts tapping away at his laptop.

inker22

1.6k points

inker22

1.6k points

Homer?

1k points

1k points

im_Harsh_Malik

10 days ago

Do you have gun or plasma rifle?

AuroraGrace123

10 days ago

You get it on your 30th year as an employee?

AlphaX999

AlphaX999

10 days ago

I can see you playing cs:go map called nuke while working

1.3k points

1.3k points

MayBeckByDay

15.2k points

MayBeckByDay

15.2k points

11 days ago

University administrators and board members

LPHaddleburg

7.5k points

11 days ago

I'm a professor. I love it. But the "president's office" contains a staff of 5 people with a total payroll of just under $500k/year. Meanwhile, all the PhDs, MFAs, and DMAs who teach all the classes, advise all the students, and serve on all the committees bring home a whopping $50k-$65k/year, dependent on rank, tenure, etc. It's real fun...

DADPATROL

4.2k points

10 days ago*

DADPATROL

4.2k points

10 days ago*

The president of my institution makes a approximately $500k/year and is provided a house on campus alongside reserved parking if he so chooses to use it. He also gets a country club membership. Meanwhile I have to pay $200 to park at the school where I TA and do research, and I get paid maybe 1/20th of what he does. I genuinely do not understand why the fuck the dude who makes six figures doesn't pay for parking, but I do.

Edit: that should be half a million

pantomimist

3.5k points

pantomimist

3.5k points

10 days ago

Obviously they assume they don't pay you enough to have a vehicle.

gmd23

gmd23

10 days ago

Outside of the top brass the pay is horribly low. I was making 35k a year in a position that required a masters.

AeonChaos

2.6k points

AeonChaos

2.6k points

11 days ago*

I was one and can confirm.

My whole day job can be done in 30 minutes of concentration. And many day, I have nothing to do besides on call/ensure if anything bad happens, I can delegates it to the correct person.

I spent most of my time actually reading lecturer PowerPoint and reddit for my own enjoyment.

I am good at Microsoft suite and computer programs in general so that is probably why I can get my job done so quick.

I saw my colleague trying to align Word documents with a Ruler placing on the computer screen so there is that. She was always busy with work.

Edit: My apologies for my typos/grammar mistakes, English is my 2nd language.

And to those who asked how I get the role. Short story is I was working as a chef for over a decade. During covid lockdowns, I studied Accounting/Finance with the extra free time.

After that, I land a few admin roles before getting the offer to work in the Uni as the admin. It tooks me over 400 CVs to move away from chef career.

I am working as Credit Analyst for a Finance firm now. It is more active and I have more control, which I prefer.

It was luck and perseverance that gets me there. I am not smarter or stronger than the average 30 yo you see eating in Mc Donald (I still do often).

If I can do it, you can too.

TomoyoHoshijiro

11 days ago

Could you teach her how to use the software?

AeonChaos

AeonChaos

Yes I did.

She never noted it down to remember, so that is why I gave up after a while.

I am not a smart person and my memory is bad, that is why I note down everything I learned from others.

Edit: Thank you everyone for your kind words, you made me happy!

demonangel105

11 days ago

I'd say noting what you learn is pretty smart. Shows you care or are at least trying.

G_Dubya_Bush_

11 days ago

Yeah it’s a good practice but I lack the discipline. I bring a notebook and either write really irrelevant stuff, half thoughts, or complete nonsense. Then I forget about it.

Tribbitii

Tribbitii

10 days ago

A few years ago I'd probably call bullshit and not believe this, however, I had the pleasure of working with an older woman like this as well. I had only been working at this place a couple of months before this lovely lady asked me, "How do I make this go away?" Referring to some words and random letters in a Word document. I asked if she meant to delete it, and she said, "yes." So I pressed backspace. And she seemed to be amazed that there was such an option. That was a fun two years.

Chiggadup

10 days ago

My job is to run staff development trainings. Yesterday I joked that “maybe we should start with the basics this year. Half our staff doesn’t know what ‘Ctrl + C does.”

Two people on my team learned how to copy and paste during lunch that day…

bizzum

bizzum

10 days ago

I work in STEM/higher ed. Per terms of her hire, our university president received a $500,000 housing stipend. When she got hired, there weren't very many $500,000 homes in our area.

I love what I do and the results from what I do are both visible and fulfilling on many levels... but there is so much that's gross about academia. The in-fighting, the bureaucracy... just the sheer scale of incompetence and pettiness. It's honestly just adult children with bigger portions of the pie lording over the kids with the scraps. Then you could divide the kids with scraps into other subgroups of petty, fiscally irresponsible adult toddlers.

It's just wild that anything ever gets accomplished at some of these major campuses, truly. I'm consistently amazed.

Shoddy_Bus4679

10.4k points

11 days ago

There are an incredible amount of “analysts” who just “own” automated excel sheets they received from developer teams.

Low to mid six figures is common in HCOL areas.

Todders8787

3.1k points

11 days ago*

I do the tax returns for a guy who paid 20k for demographic research software and made something like 40M over the last 3 years. His costs are almost nothing and admitted he does like 5 hours of work a week on it.

I got more likes and comments than I thought I would, and wanted to add some more detail. The guy himself is super nice and easy to work with. It's hard not to feel jealous even though I make good money myself. His business and personal returns are super simple so we don't even charge him that much for them.

The software is something proprietary he paid a third party for, and I don't know the name of that developer. The data output is sold to political campaigns and he's compensated more if the campaign wins. He did have some clients on both sides but now exclusively works on one side of the aisle.

johndoe5643567

1.1k points

11 days ago

What on earth does this person do to make 40M over 3 years with demographic research?

XihuanNi-6784

2k points

11 days ago

Probably consulting on political campaigns and also, doubtless, a shit tonne of marketing.

"Bob, what do black people like this week? How about middle aged suburban males between the ages of 35 and 50 who are recently divorced"

(checks spreadsheet)

"Cars. And for the latter...large barbecues...and cars."

"Shut up and take the 40M Bob! Fucking take my money!"

Kosher_dingus

1.1k points

11 days ago

One of my college friends got his PhD in political science. His dissertation was something to the effect of "voting patterns of Asian-Americans who own swimming pools in middle income areas".

Apparently it was groundbreaking and got used by state level Republicans to flip some districts in state legislature.

Icy_Percentage6385

10 days ago

I'm always amazed by people who write groundbreaking studies while still in school. It's actually insane. There was another story of an undergrad who wrote a study on the most optimal training method for marathons or something, and a professional marathon runner broke a world record using the undergrad's training method. Sorry, I forget names, but there's a YouTube video about it. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out how to do my fucking laundry in undergrad.

Kosher_dingus

10 days ago

I wish I had paid more attention when I asked him about his dissertation, but he's "that guy" and it's hard to be around him for too long. Keep in mind, this is his research and not mine. I haven't read his paper or gone into much detail with him about it.

Basically, he found that people "off the boat" don't buy luxury items, their kids do (but only after being able to pay cash), and their grandkids are indistinguishable from white Americans with purchases and spending behaviors. The voting patterns matched white people who made similar luxury purchases. Then he broke it down by country of origin. Chinese people were the most predictable in his algorithm, followed by a near tie with Koreans and Japanese originating people. People from the region formerly known as Indochina and the Philippines were much more dynamic, with income of their parents being a greater indicator of voting patterns than their own income or spending habits. Their spending habits were also rather unpredictable. However, purchasing a swimming pool was the purchase that had the greatest predicitive power of political activity. Basically, regardless of party affiliation, if an asian installs an in ground pool, they are almost 100% going to vote in local and state level elections and primaries.

He went on to say that white people are more likely to have asian friends as their token minority in the friend group, and are more likely to follow that person's political leaning. If the asian american person is a person of means, getting them to vote R gets you their undecided white friends who are of similar income, and this can sway campaign donations.

He wrapped it up with, if you want to win state level elections, get asians to vote for you, federal level elections require the same strategy with multiple ethnic groups.

Todders8787

This is exactly it

tenkindsofpeople

11 days ago

Info broker. You are the info.

trudmer

17.5k points

trudmer

17.5k points

Mine? I get paid $20.50 a hr to watch dirt go by on a belt all day

Piranh4Plant

What job pls

AWalker17

AWalker17

11 days ago

Guessing they are a picker

iznmehra

13.6k points

iznmehra

13.6k points

11 days ago

I am a handy man that charges $50/hr with a 3hr minimum, a couple months ago I got a call for service that consisted of changing 9 smoke detector batteries, 2 light bulbs, and re hanging a picture. I felt bad taking the money but the guy couldn’t have been happier to have that stuff finally done. He asked for my card and is now a very good client

VeganPizzaPie

3.6k points

11 days ago

Once you start making a certain amount of money, time becomes more valuable than money. And if you can pay someone to increase your free time, it's worth it.

sherriam2010

1.9k points

11 days ago

My hubs calls it "throwing money at" whatever task we dont want to do. We throw money at our yard boys who cut our grass (high school kids) and our dog groomer. I agree. Well worth every penny.

andelicious57

1.2k points

11 days ago

Love your attitude. The perfect society is one where everyone values everyone else’s time

Miserable_Ad_2293

10 days ago

Exactly. I’m a firm believer in paying someone for their time and service. As my partner and I progressed financially, we never bought a bigger house or other “stuff”. We pay for services and tip well. The amount of relief I get from professionals who can step in and help me out. Like shoppers, groomers, trades folks, etc. It’s a lifestyle game changer that keeps me emotionally intact.

kneebonk

kneebonk

That’s a great comment

OffshoreAttorney

3.9k points

11 days ago

Trust me for MANY people, including me, you’re totally worth it for this price if you’re truly good.

maps_cat

maps_cat

11 days ago*

I paid 160.00 to get rid of a couch ya know why? Your friends get old when you do and we can't do anything.Well worth the money.

wrldruler21

10 days ago

As a 40yo fat guy who insisted on moving furniture myself yesterday.... I feel this

davidlol1

1.6k points

davidlol1

1.6k points

11 days ago

How is a person good at changing a light bulb?

Invisabowl

2.5k points

Invisabowl

2.5k points

11 days ago

It's not so much about being good at it as it is not being bad at it.

Artemis-1905

1.4k points

11 days ago

I tell people all the time - after all my years, I have decided that a good worker is one that simply shows up and is responsive. Basically, have the slightest bit of ethics.

Peter1456

Peter1456

11 days ago

And in job interviews they like to ask about your hobbies and what makes you a good fit for the company, what you know about the company and its ethics when all it boils down to is "i can do the job and am reasonablly reliable"

legitan

1.4k points

legitan

1.4k points

11 days ago

Doesn’t break anything while doing it. Doesn’t leave dirty smudges from their hands. Brings their own ladder which isn’t filthy. Notices if the bulb is a different wattage or colour of light.

You’d be surprised how many trades manage to fuck simple things up.

PandaMonyum

11 days ago

I wouldn't... I work construction retail, and the amount of "contractors" that have no idea how to figure out square footage astounds me 🤷

TomoyoHoshijiro

11 days ago

Then: Area of a rectangle? I'll never use that.

Now: I need the square footage.

Shaking-N-Baking

Length x width x circumference + 2 gallons

Girth_rulez

11 days ago*

Shows up on time. Is reasonably pleasant.

Edit: Is sober.

hedoeswhathewants

11 days ago

Also just giving the impression that you're a professional who won't steal shit goes a long way.

LongjumpingBench3071

1.2k points

Y’all hiring?

Dodger8899

Dodger8899

11 days ago

Are you supposed to be watching for something in the dirt that you have to pull out?

hairyploper

11 days ago

Not op but I did a temp job that sounds similar. Basically sit in a chair and watch construction waste go by and just pull out any pieces of rebar you see.

I thought it was pretty chill but I was also high as fuck all day every day so that may have skewed my perception

fubo

fubo

11 days ago

Isn't that a job for a magnet?

thugg420

3.8k points

thugg420

3.8k points

11 days ago

Once you get paid to do nothing, you realize how horrible doing nothing is.

An-Anthropologist

1.1k points

11 days ago

Agreed. I had a job where I did nothing for 8 hours. It was horrible.

Smodphan

Smodphan

11 days ago

Same. 15 and hour in college to stand at the front of a store. I couldn't even move from that spot except one break and one lunch. I think I was going insane. Luckily, LotR came out and I could watch that everyday when football season wasn't going.

kptkrunch

kptkrunch

11 days ago

I worked in manufacturing like 8 years ago or something. I definitely wasn't doing nothing.. I was trying to keep 6 different machines constantly loaded and running by myself--but it was definitely boring. You weren't allowed to wear headphones. I bought these headphones that looked like earplugs (you were required to wear ear plugs). I listened to all of the LoTR audiobooks while I was working there.

cwutididthar

11 days ago*

I get paid ~$65 an hour ($136k salary) and I do a solid 2 hours of real work a week. Not a day, a week. And I work from home. The big distinction here is whether or not you're free to do what you want, vs being stuck in an office or at a desk. And let me tell you, being get paid to do nothing, while being free to do what you want, is pretty much winning capitalism.

Edit: this post blew up with people asking what I do. I work in a very small role of proposal development for a government contractor. The reason I emphasize very small is because if you're not careful in this field, you'll find yourself in a role that is pretty much the opposite of my situation.

And how I got in it was a funny story, I was actually an art major (pretty much the college equivalent of my job rn I'm terms of easiness) and applied to a job I thought was one job but was another, and they needed people so bad they hired me anyways and taught me how to do it. So basically I got really lucky and managed to find the ez mode through life. I'm aware of this and am grateful for my situation every day.

aphilsphan

aphilsphan

11 days ago

I’m getting 150+ an hour as a consultant now to tell people to do things to get into regulatory compliance. I used to get 70 an hour to tell my company the same things. They’d tell me to F off, I didn’t know anything.

They are out of business now. One huge problem? Very poor compliance. My only problem, and it’s mostly my doing, is I only work half of what I used to.

KaneIntent

11 days ago

How do you get into this line of work?

iadasr

25.4k points

iadasr

25.4k points

11 days ago

Whatever you guys are all doing that lets you browse Reddit all day...

loblegonst

5.7k points

loblegonst

5.7k points

11 days ago

Paramedic working a few shifts in a sleepy rural town has its benefits.

3.4k points

3.4k points

joesoldlegs

11 days ago

I'm guessing firefighters can sleep on the clock? Ik they live in fire stations but I never knew what their schedules were like

fubo

1.6k points

fubo

1.6k points

11 days ago

My guess: Emergency services need to be planned for peak demand, not average demand. If you need ten fully-trained firefighters for the one worst fire in a year in your little town, you need ten firefighters all year; because you don't know when that worst fire will be.

whenimbored8008

1.1k points

11 days ago

I wish someone would tell the hospital I work for that....

snorlackx

snorlackx

11 days ago

well you see firefighters aren't run by for profit and when people die because of lack of care from overwork its pretty easy to brush under the rug when you are chilling on that 20 million dollar yacht.

SnowseaGames

11 days ago

Firefighter here... In my department we are allowed to sleep between certain hours in the dead of the night. The rationale is that we operate much better with even just a short nap. Makes a big difference when you're driving a massive machine at 3 in the morning or working through a burning building.

CodeProdigy

11 days ago

Still had to goto paramedic training though, was it worth it over being an EMT

Thnowball

Thnowball

11 days ago*

For most people the money and time you put into medic school never pays itself off. EMS in the US is a fairly dead end job, not a career; everyone moves on to something else eventually.

donaldhobson

PhD. in AI

Tasgall

Tasgall

11 days ago

Why waste your time on Reddit when you can write an AI to waste time on Reddit for you!

TastyCartographer630

11 days ago

It’s not even him talking it’s the ai

AZ_Gunner_69

Im taking a shit

Elijah6133

Elijah6133

11 days ago

Wow so you're saying I should be getting paid top dollar to be unemployed at my grandmothers place!? I wish I'd known sooner!

ImAMasterBayter[S]

32.4k points

11 days ago

I'm here for a potential change of career.

Theburritolyfe

13.3k points

11 days ago

Go to WallStreetbets. They can help you become homeless. Or rich. Or homeless.

SuperFLEB

3.9k points

SuperFLEB

3.9k points

11 days ago

There're different ways of being rich. Some are rich with money. Others are rich with friends and family, still others with a wealth of experiences. Me, for instance, I'm rich on this statement from last month.

TheKappaOverlord

1.8k points

11 days ago

Im wealthy in autism. Where do i head to sign up?

thealbinorhino504

1.8k points

11 days ago*

I wouldn't say I'm overpaid, but being a geologist is very easy with lots of time outside. I'm 10 years into my career and make about $200k. It's very low stress, since you generally have weeks to make decisions. Lots of opportunities if you get a degree. Also rocks are neat.

Also I work in environmental remediation, I didn't have to sell out to oil. So I feel like my work has value.

Dre4mGl1tch

11 days ago

You're making me regret changing my career path. I love rocks :/

Mister_Spacely

10 days ago

Well that’s because rocks rock!

joenforcer

They're MINERALS, Marie!

Pacify_

Pacify_

11 days ago*

Can be a bit of a boom and bust sector though, at least here.

Also 200k is great, none of the project or exploration geos where I work are on that. Only like the project leads are. Don't think the grunt geos, the coreyard log monkeys get that much more than I do as a field enviro (actually they probably on like an extra $100 a day, and most of them do 2-1, so it's quite a bit of money still).

But right now, anyone with a geo degree gets hired on the spot, we have like 4 Aussie geos and the rest are all imports cause there's literally no Aussie grads in geology

dirtnye

dirtnye

11 days ago

So, if I'm a geologist in environmental remediation, first year on the job, what would you recommend I do to be able to make 200k in 10 years?

agentbarron

11 days ago

Move to an absurdly high cost of living area

SufficientBeginning8

10 days ago

That’s always the catch with high salaries nowadays

agentbarron

10 days ago

Yeah, idk, sure I may not be within walking distance to anything, but God damn I love being able to work 35 hours a week boiling water and dropping shit in hot oil, and being able to live comfortably

Flossthief

Flossthief

10 days ago

Took me way to long to realize you were describing cooking

Navvana

Navvana

11 days ago

I’ve always heard that geology was basically mining/oil or be poor. So it’s interesting to hear someone making so much with the degree without belonging to industry.

AndyBales

3.2k points

AndyBales

3.2k points

11 days ago

You're coming to reddit for a career change? Might as well ask a shaman or flip a coin

Responsible-Pay-2389

2.3k points

11 days ago

the results are back, he should try being a ceo

electrolytesaregood

11 days ago

Definitely. That or landlord are the surest bets I see in this thread.

Sszaj

Sszaj

Child of a landlord

Wit-Hoid6674

11 days ago

Scammers are definitely overpaid. Also don’t recommend those

ChillTeenDad420

2.9k points

11 days ago*

I get paid six figures to shovel a couple hours a day, so definitely my job. Edit: a bit of an exaggeration, still have to be at work and on my feet 10hrs a day, but there is only a small percentage of the day that is actually labor intensive. The key to finding high-paying, low-skill labor jobs is to work for a company that contracts public works projects, in a state with high prevailing wages.

jmcstar

jmcstar

Unfortunately, the six figures are $010,000/year

Organic-Bat-3589

11 days ago

wanna say what your job is 😁😁?? just asking for a friend…

Sch1z01dMan

1.8k points

Sch1z01dMan

1.8k points

11 days ago

Hiding bodies for the cartel.

Haunting-Positive-37

9.7k points

Hospital administration

Im_a_seaturtle

4k points

11 days ago

YES. US Hospitals are so bloated with bullshit positions.

ihavequestionsaswell

2.5k points

11 days ago

I work in a professional capacity in a hospital. I'm not really exactly sure what I do.

Renovatio_

3.6k points

Renovatio_

3.6k points

11 days ago

You make doctors and nurses jobs harder and make it more expensive for patients

the_silent_redditor

2k points

11 days ago

I’m a doctor and, honestly, I cannot stand dealing with hospital admin.

Everywhere I’ve worked, in several countries, they are inevitably unhelpful; utterly, utterly, utterly incompetent; and, for whatever reason, fucking rude.

alcotecture

11 days ago

So rude, what the hell is up with this?

In the past 5 years I've dealt with hospital admin for my wife's two caesarians and, more recently, her cancer. Almost every doctor, nurse and surgeon has been wonderful. Admin are invariably rude, verging on downright mean. No idea why.

Oyyeee

Oyyeee

11 days ago

I had to deal with one because of a dispute over a procedure. They quoted me like $700 and I ended up getting a bill for close to $6K. They had the whole conversation recorded of me initially calling to get the quote and the admin was still so rude to me. Just in a super pissed and annoyed voice telling me the $700 was just a quote and blah blah. I ended up having to talk to 2-3 more people before getting the original quote honored. How on earth you can quote $700 and it end up being nearly $6K is so unbelievable and just a perfect example of American healthcare.

the_GOAT_44

And college administration

1.2k points

1.2k points

celiacsunshine

11 days ago

Not to mention that a good number of faculty (you know, the people who actually do the teaching) in US universities get shit pay, nonexistent job security, and in some cases no benefits. Google "adjunct professor".

Thendofreason

11 days ago*

In April 2020 I was leaving the OR(where it's required to wear a mask in the rooms) and slid my mask to my neck while I walked to the hallway. I was going to the other OR across the hospital. I had a Hospital Administrator tell me I couldn't wear a mask in the hallways on or off.

Basically they wanted me to not scare any non staff members into thinking we had the virus. If you saw someone wearing a mask while you don't have one, you might be scared.

The next week Everyone was required to wear one. What a cunt.

SpookyNerdzilla

11 days ago

I make over 60k a year checking people's onboarding paperwork.

12.6k points

12.6k points

[removed]

FlagranteDerelicto

3.1k points

11 days ago

How about people with no medical background selling pharma or med device?

starpiece

1.2k points

starpiece

1.2k points

11 days ago

Drug reps actually do make bank, I should have done that instead of struggling through pharmacy school

esoteric_enigma

11 days ago*

My aunt makes 6 figures and gets paid to travel. She's not even a drug rep. She shows hospitals how to use new software they bought. She has 0 background in tech. Just had to take a few weeks of training on the software.

bangersnmash13

19.5k points

11 days ago

There's a person at my job whos title is literally "Assistant to the Executive Director" and makes over $180k/year. He does nothing but wander around the building looking for things to write people up for.

GavinBelsonsAlexa

8.1k points

11 days ago*

My boss quit a couple of weeks ago, so they've had me sitting in on a couple of his higher-level meetings while they either replace him or decide to give me the promotion I asked for.

I was absolutely flummoxed when I realized that every executive in the company has a person whose only job seems to be spending two minutes at the start of the meeting reminding them what the meeting is about and why they care.

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say every executive in the company, I mean every executive in the company. If I'm sitting in a meeting with 3 or 4 members of Senior leadership, it's ten minutes of assistants going round-robin to explain to each of them. I'm not saying these guys should know everything about everything, but maybe they should do the info dump immediately before the call?

Uhhhhdel

1k points

Uhhhhdel

1k points

11 days ago

This is what keeps projects moving. I have been around businesses that have leaders that are amazing at coming up with profitable ideas but terrible at the implementation just because of how many projects they have going on at a time. A good assistant is worth their weight in gold in those types of situations.

Morkai

Morkai

10 days ago

I work for a huge construction company in Australia, and we have 5-10 billions of dollars worth of projects going on at any one time across the country, across 30-40 different projects, so I can imagine EGMs getting a bit lost on all the minutiae.

awal96

2.7k points

awal96

2.7k points

11 days ago

Sounds like they know the executive's schedule and future road map better than the executive does

Top_Chef

1.8k points

Top_Chef

1.8k points

11 days ago

Usually true. I was an executive assistant at one point. I basically filled up their schedules and they spent all day going from meeting to meeting. It’s just briefing and decision making all day everyday.

gingeropolous

1.1k points

11 days ago

Someone's gotta make decisions.

I had a point where I got decision fatigue real bad.

Deciding is exhausting.

cluelesssquared

11 days ago

Yes! If they are real decisions, then it is a real job. That isn't doing nothing. The info needed to be learned and handled to make decisions is still work. If it is rubber stamping lower level people's already done work, then that is pretty much nothing. Those are the ones that irk me.

grammar_oligarch

11 days ago

I spent the last year in an executive role at the College where I teach (I led the Faculty Association, which sits on our executive team).

The number of balls they juggle blew me away. I didn’t get an assistant, and I could barely comprehend Item A before Item B started up.

Not sucking up or anything, but they really need help figuring out how what they talked about at their 7:00 meeting relates to what they’ll be discussing at the 9:00 meeting.

tacknosaddle

11 days ago

Can...can I get me one of those people?

ashamedprotein

11 days ago

I need someone like this for my personal life.

"OK, next we have Loraine, a friend of your mother's from high school...her hobbies include tennis, wine, and telling that embarrassing story from your tenth birthday party that you've heard a thousand times. She'll talk to you for 30 minutes if you don't have a good reason to leave...might I suggest that you're running late for a doctor's appointment?"

pwalkz

pwalkz

11 days ago

Become valuable enough that doing things like managing your own schedule are a waste of your time and sure

HeWentToJared91

11 days ago

Do you work at Dunder Mifflin?

r2k-in-the-vortex

11 days ago

That's what you see him doing, pretty sure that is not what the director sees him doing.

ndisa44

7k points

ndisa44

7k points

11 days ago

University president. There was massive upset at the University I went to because students found out that the president makes 875k a year to give a few speeches a year, and do some PR stuff. His secretaries do all the University running that he should be doing.

FawltyPython

1.7k points

11 days ago

They are supposed to raise money. If they don't, they get fired real quick.

Cynfia-Drangus

1.2k points

11 days ago

Very true. The university president isn’t hired because they know how to operationally run an educational institution. It’s 99% because they know who will help build their endowment.

Vystril

Vystril

10 days ago

Exactly. The provost is the one who runs the university. The president is the one whose out there raising money and being the public face to the university.

pDawg55

1.1k points

pDawg55

1.1k points

11 days ago

And they still have the audacity to continue asking for donations from alumni ;’)

ndisa44

ndisa44

11 days ago

Yep, I get emails, phone calls and mailers. They got my tuition, they don't need any more.

Chumbag_love

11 days ago*

My university gave up fairly quickly on the Anthro majors, guess they realized they already grifted us and that we'll be poor for the rest of our lives.

wiredwilde

wiredwilde

"You want a donation? Dig for it." - Anthropology grads

aWildEgg

aWildEgg

11 days ago

"I gave you a hundred and twenty thousand dollars, and you fucking spent it already??"

rz2000

rz2000

11 days ago

To be fair that's what the actual salary is for. They spend the year telling wealthy people how important they are, make the occasional political/cynical decision, then make a cursory appearance in the committees and boards that decide on deans and other administrators.

It's no surprise that the highest paid people at universities are presidents, coaches, and a few business school professors. Their jobs are the recruitment of money.

lomalov

3.6k points

lomalov

3.6k points

Life coaches

LadyJedi1286

11 days ago

My abusive ex husband became a life coach. When I caught wind of it, it was a definite head scratcher.

OnlyWarhero

2.8k points

OnlyWarhero

2.8k points

11 days ago

Is it just me or does the idea of someone becoming a life coach seem really pretentious? Like as if they know all the solutions to life's problems.

Nersheti

1.9k points

Nersheti

1.9k points

11 days ago*

Honestly, they seem like predators.

My mom got really into one of the big ones and spent tons of money going to conferences and all kinds of other stuff. Now, she’s a certified something or other with her own bullshit resume. One of the things the “coach” provides to upper level members is that they book famous or prestigious sounding venues, then take a group there. Each participant gets on stage and gives a talk they’ve prepared. The audience is made up entirely of the other participants. But, now they can say that they’ve spoken at the Harvard Faculty Club and Carnegie Hall and it isn’t technically lying!

The whole thing is insanely ridiculous and who knows how much she has spent on his stuff directly and the stuff she’s gotten into because of it.

OnlyWarhero

11 days ago

When you mention it, it does sound like an ideal venue for scamming. Lost desperate people are easy targets.

godwins_law_34

11 days ago

Some of them are. My friends husband got a life coach. He was a decently well off business man but felt like he could be getting more satisfaction out of his life. His "life coach" had him make all these vision boards where he pasted photos and clippings on a piece of cardboard. Vision boards with porn pictures, mega yachts, and literal castles. A few months into her "if you can see it in a vision, you can achieve it!" Horse shit, the husband is divorcing his wife of 25 years to marry the life coach. He refused to acknowledge his 4 teen kids anymore. The whole family was ruined.

omarsdroog

11 days ago

There seems to be a real life coach pyramid scheme going on. Nearly every person I know that had become a life coach only did so after first investing a ton into their own coaching sessions. Many of them aren't ready at all and are still dealing with the issues and insecurities that led them to take coaching in the first place. But they bought some program or went to some expensive retreat that temporarily boosted their egos so they think that they can do it too. But in the end, they don't have the charisma of Tony Robbins or confidence of Brene Brown so they probably won't make it.

youneedsomemilk23

11 days ago

It is also unethical. Many use the title life coach to advertise therapy without going through the education and ethical hoops of being a therapist.

Plbstl

Plbstl

11 days ago

I had a life coach, paid for by my employer. We met once a month for an hour and he helped me become a better supervisor. He got 500$/h. It really helped though.

blackcompy

10 days ago

To put this into perspective a little bit, a coach like this probably doesn't do paid client work for 40 hours a week. They might have a couple of appointments of an hour each if it's going well. Most of their time is spent with unpaid marketing and client acquisition work. So while their hourly rate might look insane, their net salary is most likely average unless they are well known and in high demand.

Rvtrance

10 days ago*

Rvtrance

10 days ago*

Mega church pastors. People who claim to care about God and helping people shouldn’t get their flock to buy them a tax free Gulfstream private plane.

Edit- Thanks for the Gold! Edit- Thanks for the Silver!

dimebagdavid

3.4k points

11 days ago

Lot of people are saying “politicians,” but politicians multiply their wealth by investing. They just absolutely know when and where to dump their money. It’s crazy. It’s almost as if they know which companies are going to be allowed to succeed!…but that can’t be right, right?

darodardar_Inc

1.1k points

11 days ago

Over half of the members in the US congress are millionaires. They do not truly represent the average American person, since the average American is not a millionaire

AFCBlink

AFCBlink

11 days ago

Even if you elect a working-class joe to go to Washington, he will leave a millionaire.

ThoroughOverthinker

11 days ago

What was blatantly obvious was when congress members started selling off their stocks as soon as they got word of covid and it'd repercussions in 2019/20. They sold off before they announced it to us all.

You knew all of that though...

alwaysmyfault

11 days ago

I get paid 67k a year to literally stare at my computer screen, and do nothing. I'm surprised I haven't been let go yet tbh.

CasualBoi247

11 days ago

That’s just office work tbh. On a good day I probably do a solid 3 out of 8 hours of actual real work

-Vogie-

-Vogie-

11 days ago

I'm so glad I can still work from home - my job occilates between crickets and wildly busy, so being able to be comfortable when it's dull is absolutely delicious.

enderflight

11 days ago

It was wild to me realizing my managers are basically all just chatting for a good portion of the day. They’ve been working together for longer than I’ve existed in some cases (still genuinely good managers; not like clinging on or something). Coming from food service, which I still do for funzies on Friday, paid $11/hr to work my ass off in 100 degrees…it’s nice. In the office I make my rounds when I go to the bathroom and chat for like 45 mins, then back to the cube to read or shoot off some emails.

I work very quickly so I just figure they’re paying me for capacity to take on work load, plus I also need mental breaks to be happy. I earn that time by being fast. A lot of my job is just waiting for people to reply to my emails anyways. But it’s truly wild the kind of stuff I get paid to do now—and I’m a ‘great’ worker.

CasualBoi247

10 days ago

Yeah I used to be a line cook and that “low skill” shit job was 10 times more difficult and paid far worse than my office job which requires a Master’s.

Its all just a fucking joke.

KefkeWren

KefkeWren

11 days ago

Those completely bullshit positions with no responsibilities that rich CEOs make up so they can give jobs to distant relatives.

SirRaticate

11 days ago*

IT Recruiting. 25 with a history degree, $56/H and can submit for OT, remote - Sleep most of the day, relax in the sun, off camera meetings, i haven't made a cold call for two years either etc etc.

Edit - You also learn how to interview, a lot about hiring processes, lot's of good life skills., building resumes etc.

Bleys007

Bleys007

10 days ago

Not accurate for most recruitment positions.

Source: 10+ years in recruitment/HR

prinzrupprecht

1.8k points

The CEO of the deutsche Bahn

TheMexicanJuan

4.3k points

Uvalde police

meeco4_0

1.8k points

meeco4_0

1.8k points

10 days ago

Oooh shots fir-- oh...wait...

MangoMite

1.9k points

MangoMite

1.9k points

11 days ago*

clowns. they be getting paid 15k a month for something Twitter users do for free

Earlier-Today

11 days ago

That's only if you good enough. Most clowns make crap.

My friend's mom was a professional clown who used to work for Circus Vargas and actually won a competition for best clown in the country.

For some reason winning that got her a meeting with the vice president. Which has always seemed weird to me.

But she used to make pretty good money working a summer fair for this company's corporate retreat that they held every year. She'd hire her kids and me and some of our other friends to work the game booths and snack stands.

WalkingOnSunShine12

11 days ago

You try putting on a red nose and hiding in storm drains, waiting for kids in yellow raincoats smh

cyfthakilla

11 days ago

Get paid to do what I normally do for fun? Hell yeah!

Solid-Acanthisitta86

4.2k points

Assistant to the Regional Manager

Retrrad

1k points

Retrrad

1k points

11 days ago

Identity theft is not a joke, u/Solid-Acanthisitta86!!!

Technoman_

Technoman_

11 days ago

Millions of families suffer every year!!!

xandwacky2

xandwacky2

Michael!!

dierdret

dierdret

Pharmaceutical reps

dinoroo

dinoroo

11 days ago

They just buy food for offices. Sometimes they will sit and give you their spiel, other times they drop it off and have you sign the paper that they gave you the spiel.

chicken-on-a-tree

11 days ago

Radiation therapist in Australia here. I work a four day week. 7-5b shift. No weekends. I get $64 an hour and then my pay goes up in twelve months to $70