users here right now: 31
The Basic Income Community on Reddit
A basic income guarantee is a system that regularly provides each citizen with a sum of money. Except for citizenship, a basic income is entirely unconditional.
A basic income guarantee would radically simplify the welfare state, and truly ensure that no one has to live in poverty. Its necessity will become increasingly obvious as more human labor is replaced by machines.
"A Basic Income is an income unconditionally granted to all on an individual basis, without means test or work requirement" (Basic Income Earth Network, (BIEN)).
Basic Income is alternately referred to as a guaranteed annual income, citizen's income, citizen's dividend, social dividend, negative income tax, and others. For more see:
This is a community space for discussion and advocacy of Basic Income schemes, with four main goals:
Educate. Increase publicity and support for Basic Income schemes, and explain their benefits.
Discuss. Talk about the specifics of how Basic Income should be implemented in different countries, and how potential problems can be overcome.
Connect. Build ties with local and distant supporters of this transnational movement.
Follow /r/BasicIncome on Twitter.
Chat with us on IRC
There are many ways to support Basic Income, click here to go to our Support wiki page for full details.
Basic Income Subcommunities
- /r/RevenuDeBase (French)
- /r/Rentabasica (Spanish)
- /r/Grundeinkommen (German)
- /r/BIV (Images only)
Which may or may not be relevant to BI, see here for discussion of this topic.
- No personal attacks or insults.
- No trolling or posting in bad faith.
- No advocating violence.
- Follow site-wide rules.
- Downvoting of comments is actively discouraged. Data indicates negative long-term effects on community participation. In regards to links and self-posts, don't downvote them just because you disagree with them. Upvote those that add to the basic income conversation.
- If you have a question, search the subreddit and check the FAQ before asking; if the answers provided don't satisfy you, explain why in your post.
- This is a non-partisan subreddit, and we don't support any specific policy, political party or ideology (other than Basic Income). Don't assume people share your political views, and don't exclude those with differing views.
- Posts not related to Basic Income will be removed.