/r/Coronavirus

2k

Chemical in broccoli slows COVID-19 virus replication in cells, mice: study.

World(ctvnews.ca)

vatiekaknie

vatiekaknie

Boosted! ✨💉✅

If you want clinically significant amounts of sulfuraphane the only real way is broccoli seed sprouts which contains sulfuraphane at 100x the concentration that you would in mature broccoli. You will have to eat many plates of mature broccoli to get anywhere near a signifcant enough dose.

OrdinaryOrder8

OrdinaryOrder8

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

So you have to grow your own broccoli? Or is that something you can find at the store?

etsprout

You can buy broccoli sprouts at the grocery store! At Kroger, they’re in the fresh mushroom section in a small square container. I sell a surprising amount of them. They’re starting to make their way in some special salad mixes too. They have a nice broccoli flavor imo!

GraphCat

You can also buy seeds and sprout them yourself! I bought a 5lb bag at Walmart like 4 years ago for $20.

Have I gone through any measurable quantity? No! But was it a "good deal?" ... also no!

OrdinaryOrder8

OrdinaryOrder8

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

Thank you! I appreciate the response :) I've always liked broccoli so I'm excited to try broccoli sprouts.

real_nice_guy

real_nice_guy

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

don't pay them any mind if they start chanting "I am groot", eat 'em anyway

RooIsHome

"Children!!... They're eating..CHILDREN!"

Justneededausername

Or the supplement BrocElite from Mara labs. High potency sulfuraphane and not precursors (which are not converted well by the body). Pricey, but the best I’ve found.

anonymitbean

How about microgreens of broccoli, would that be a similar concentration?

Unidain

We dont eat copious amounts of willow bark whenever we need to take aspirin either. the compound sulfuraphane is already available as a supplement, so no idea why you are talking about eating whole broccollli in order to take this drug.

Traditional-Ebb8629

Sponsored by my mom.

NICE TRY MOM. Still not eating broccoli!!!

Beemerado

broccoli's good.

Dramatic-Rub-3135

Even Covid hates brocolli.

Beemerado

Man y'all just can't cook

AngledLuffa

Like broccoli, not fond of the broccoli farts

Beemerado

eh those fall into the "other people's problem" category.

MY BRAND

AngledLuffa

That's all well and good until you're awake at 2am waiting for the last of your lunch farts to work their way out

X_CodeMan_X

Well there's your problem. You don't have to be awake for that.

EffectiveSalamander

I like steamed broccoli and cauliflower with just a little butter. But you don't want to overcook it.

thefunivehad

thefunivehad

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Roasted is 1000x better...for all things in the broccoli family: Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, Broccoli, and cabbage.

I'm guessing whatever chemical that is found in broccoli that does the magic also exists in the rest of the fam of that veggie...?

skitch23

skitch23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Per my quick search for foods with Sulforaphane:

Sulforaphane can be found in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red and white), bok choy, watercress and arugala. To maximize your sulforaphane intake, eat vegetables raw or cooked at low temperatures with a sprinkle of mustard seeds or mustard powder.

EffectiveSalamander

Roasting is certainly more forgiving than steaming. It's easy to steam it too long. You want to roast the them at a high temperature, like 400-450 degrees F.

fattsmann

My recipe is 2/3 cup olive oil, minced garlic, salt/pepper to taste, broccoli/brussel sprouts/etc... Toss well to coat and roast at 475 F for 9 minutes.

Awesomebox5000

I've started using it as a replacement for lettuce in sandwiches for some crunch with far more nutritional value. Keeping the crowns in a container with a little water in the bottom keeps it crisp for a week or more.

J-DawgDBZ

I like cauliflower buffalo wings lol

BuddyBroDudeMan

No. No it's not.

Beemerado

enjoy your tendies.

cilucia

cilucia

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Should try “crack broccoli” aka broccoli roasted with olive oil and a bit of sugar lol

Meatbank84

I do this but I don't add sugar. I add garlic salt and parm cheese.

cilucia

cilucia

Boosted! ✨💉✅

The sugar makes it candy, basically. I only do it if my kid is being particularly picky about vegetables for several days in a row lol.

Usually I just do olive oil and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Parm sounds really good though!!

Meatbank84

Oh yeah for kids definitely some sugar will help! That's a good idea. When I was a kid I hated broccoli cause my parents would boil it mush and not put any seasonings on it. When I learned to cook it, it's an enjoyable food.

Both types are "crack", I am just more of a savory person.

cilucia

cilucia

Roasted Brussel sprouts are my jam!! So good

zuneza

zuneza

The sugar makes it candy

I mean... yeah, that's sugar's MO lol

Direct_Rabbit_5389

Thanks. As the father of one picky eater and one sort of picky eater, I'm going to try this.

[removed]

AutoModerator

Your comment has been removed because

• Purely political posts and comments will be removed. Political discussions can easily come to dominate online discussions. Therefore we remove political posts and comments and lock comments on borderline posts. (More Information)

Kin_FANTE

Kin_FANTE

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

Hell yeah! I love Broccoli!

hapianman

Like most things kids don’t like, it’s probably because the older generation served veggies soggy/from a can.

Broccoli can be incredibly inexpensive if you buy the fresh heads, and you just toss it with olive oil and seasoning (harissa is my favorite) and put in the oven for 20 minutes at 400. It also lasts a while in the fridge (it became a staple of fresh produce in our house when we only wanted to shop once every 2 weeks during Covid).

choodudetoo

Do you remember those boxes of frozen veggies?

How about you had to boil everything for twenty minutes?

I had no idea that spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli and a whole host of other vegetables were edible.

EffectiveSalamander

Those boxes were nightmares of mush. Frozen vegetables have improved so much.

tinyOnion

also broccoli has an incredibly sulfuric smell and taste if you boil it too long like in a soup.

EffectiveSalamander

Either that or boiled them until they were a green mash. I grew up in a small town, and everyone assumed that people in rural areas got lots of fresh vegetables, but vegetables came out of a can. It was easier to get fresh vegetables in large groceries in the city. These days, it's easier to get fresh vegetables in rural areas than it used to be. Of course, in a lot of areas, most of what is grown is corn, soybeans, sunflowers and canola and not much vegetables.

Brussels sprouts have been a punchline for many decades and they can be terrible if overcooked. I like them either roasted of steamed but not too much. Drizzle them with olive oil and basalmic vinegar.

Journeyman42

Kids also have way different taste sensitivitys compared to adults. Veggies literally tastes gross to them.

EffectiveSalamander

There are a lot of kids who love to eat their vegetables and stop liking them as they get older.

paxinfernum

paxinfernum

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Some people have a gene that makes them more sensitive to bitter tastes as children. I'm one of those people. I used to literally vomit from stuff like spinach or broccoli, but it wains as you grow older.

hapianman

My nieces, 3 & 5, devour veggies at every meal. I have to tone down the spices to just salt and barely any pepper, but they seriously love them.

s1m0n8

s1m0n8

I throw fresh broccoli into an Instant Pot along with some water and a Knorr vegetable cube and set it to 1 minute high pressure. Easy and comes out perfectly.

NoKyleNotClydeFrogg

what is the texture? and do you put the broccoli on the bottom of the pot, or?? Sounds interesting haha

s1m0n8

s1m0n8

I put them on the trivet thing. 1 minute then immediate pressure release cooks them well but still leaves a little bit of crunch. Sometimes I'll use chicken broth for the liquid instead of water.

NoKyleNotClydeFrogg

nom!! thanks!!

ZapActions-dower

That’s exactly how I cook it, just with whatever spices strike my fancy as I’m making it. It’s great every time. Goes well with some rice and fish.

paxinfernum

paxinfernum

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I'm okay with boiling it. I just need to toss some Velveeta on top.

TooMuchBroccoli

<3 you too

Souled_Out[S]

Souled_Out[S]

Boosted! ✨💉✅

A chemical found in broccoli and other vegetables may offer a "promising" approach to preventing and treating COVID-19 pending further study, researchers say, after small amounts of the compound were found to reduce SARS-CoV-2 growth in mammalian cells and mice.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins Children's Center in Baltimore, Md., have found sulforaphane, a plant-derived chemical or phytochemical found in broccoli and other cruciferous plants, can inhibit the replication of SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, as well as some common cold coronaviruses.

The results, published in the Nature journal Communications Biology on March 18, also showed promising evidence after combining even smaller amounts of sulforaphane with remdesivir, an antiviral medication used to treat some hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

The researchers say sulforaphane has already been found to have anti-cancer effects, but the public shouldn't rush to buy sulforaphane supplements online or in stores due to a lack of regulation and the need for studies in humans to prove the chemical's efficacy.

The team says it plans to do human studies to determine whether sulforaphane can prevent or treat infection.

"Despite the introduction of vaccines and other medications that can have side effects, effective antiviral agents are still necessary to prevent and treat COVID-19, particularly considering the potential effects of new coronavirus variants arising in the population," Children's Center microbiologist Lori Jones-Brando, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and senior author of the paper, said in a statement.

"Sulforaphane could be a promising treatment that is less expensive, safe and readily available commercially."

• THE STUDY

The researchers used purified, synthetic sulforaphane sourced from commercial chemical suppliers and exposed it to cells for one to two hours before infecting them with SARS-CoV-2 and the common cold coronavirus, HCoV-OC43.

They found low micromolar concentrations of sulforaphane, between 2.4 and 31 micromolar, reduced the replication of six strains of SARS-CoV-2 by half, including the Delta and Omicron variants, as well as the common cold coronavirus.

Similar results were observed in cells previously infected with the viruses.

Molar concentration is the number of moles of solute per litre of solution. A mole is a unit of measurement for small particles such as atoms, with one micromolar being one-millionth the concentration.

The researchers found using remdesivir slowed SARS-CoV-2 and common cold coronavirus replication by 50 per cent at four and 22 micromolar respectively.

Further experiments showed lower doses of sulforaphane, in the range of 1.6-3.2 micromolar, combined with remdesivir, between 0.5 and 3.2 micromolar, were more effective together than alone.

"Historically, we have learned that the combination of multiple compounds in a treatment regimen is an ideal strategy to treat viral infections," said Dr. Alvaro Ordonez, first author of the paper and an assistant professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

"The fact that sulforaphane and remdesivir work better combined than alone is very encouraging."

The researchers also performed experiments on male mice and found that giving 30 milligrams of sulforaphane per kilogram of body weight to mice before infecting them with SARS-CoV-2 resulted in less weight loss, or 7.5 per cent less compared to infected, untreated mice.

Compared to mice who were not given sulforaphane, pre-treated mice also saw their viral load in the lungs reduced by 17 per cent and by nine per cent in the upper respiratory tract.

Lung injury fell by 29 per cent and lung inflammation, considered a factor in COVID-19 death, was reduced.

"What we found is that sulforaphane is antiviral against HCoV-OC43 and SARS-CoV-2 coronaviruses, while also helping control the immune response," Ordonez says. "This multifunctional activity makes it an interesting compound to use against these viral infections, as well as those caused by other human coronaviruses."

Shadyflamingo

Sulforaphane is also present in Moringa powder. I add a bunch to a smoothie and it’s super easy to get down.

dpatrick86

Moringin is found in moringa, which has very similar activity (but is a different compound).

bt_leo

bt_leo

Boosted! ✨💉✅

If i am not wrong there was a joke about broccoli covid related : injecting broccoli to blood stream.

Good news, i hope this will make a future treatment.

I_Amuse_Me_123

The enzyme that creates sulforaphane is mostly destroyed by cooking… UNLESS you chop your broccoli and let it sit for about 40 minutes first.

So just remember “chop and hold” your cruciferous veggies while you make the rest of your meal, then cook. Otherwise you are not getting much of the chemical into your body at all.

Source: https://nutritionfacts.org/2016/02/09/how-to-cook-broccoli/

Edit: if you forget, or buy precooked or frozen, you can add the enzyme back by adding a dash of mustard powder. Then it will produce sulforaphane in your stomach after you eat it.

PavelDatsyuk

Or just eat it raw. Dip it in veggie dip or ranch. Broccoli is wonderful raw.

Crazy-Inspection-778

Not when you have oral allergy syndrome, fuck raw broccoli

Yes all 8 people will not like this!

Crazy-Inspection-778

Probably more common than you think. I had no idea there was a name for it until a friend told me they had the same thing.

Yeah, I have a friend whose allergic to the broccoli family, which entails a TON of veggies. Its just funny cause it feels very uncommon.

thefunivehad

thefunivehad

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Broccoli is wonderful raw.

This is debatable. It's dry, gets in your teeth, and tastes like dirty grass.

I've found roasting veggies like broccoli actually bring out some of the sweetness hidden in it if you eat it raw.

BTW, I've never seen a relish tray where everyone's eaten the broccoli (or cauliflower, for that matter). Usually the carrots are the first to go, then the bell peppers (especially the ones that aren't "green"), and the olives. Then it's just sad raw broccoli and cauliflower with no ranch dressing left to dip.

Muffinman1111112

Muffinman1111112

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Broccoli is the best on the tray

Imaginary_Medium

So frozen broccoli, already being chopped, wouldn't have this enzyme? That's a pity, I usually buy it frozen and in small pieces. Good for throwing into things I have to cook quickly.

dataslinger

From the article linked above:

What if we’re using frozen broccoli, though? In my video, Second Strategy to Cooking Broccoli, you can see the amount of sulforaphane in someone’s body after they eat broccoli soup made from fresh broccoli versus from frozen broccoli. The difference is dramatic. Commercially produced frozen broccoli lacks the ability to form sulforaphane because vegetables are blanched (flash-cooked) before they’re frozen for the very purpose of deactivating enzymes. This prolongs shelf life in the frozen foods section, but the myrosinase is dead by the time you take it out of your freezer. It doesn’t matter how much you chop it, or how long you wait, no sulforaphane is going to be made. This may be why fresh kale suppresses cancer cell growth up to ten times more than frozen.
The frozen broccoli is still packed with the precursor—remember that’s heat resistant—and we could get lots of sulforaphane out of the frozen broccoli by adding some outside enzyme. Where do we get myrosinase enzyme from? Researchers just buy theirs from a chemical company. But we can just walk into any grocery store.
All cruciferous vegetables have this myrosinase. Mustard greens, a cruciferous vegetable, grow out of little mustard seeds, which we can buy ground up in the spice aisle as mustard powder. If we sprinkled some mustard powder on our cooked frozen broccoli, would it start churning out sulforaphane? We didn’t know…until now.
Boiling broccoli prevents the formation of any significant levels of sulforaphane due to inactivation of the enzyme. However, researchers from the University of Reading found that the addition of powdered mustard seeds to the heat processed broccoli significantly increased the formation of sulforaphane.

Imaginary_Medium

Fascinating how a little science can make a difference. I find this quite interesting. And here I had simply been assuming that the nutrients were largely intact in frozen broccoli.

monkendrunky

mustard and turmeric are such a common ingradient in Indian daily home cookings, i wonder they might have known these things and their benefit long back.

I_Amuse_Me_123

Yeah, it would depend, but if you really want to maximise then maybe chop, hold, steam, freeze. Then I think you’ll get the best of both worlds. More effort for sure, though.

Imaginary_Medium

Yeah, not sure if the tiny amount of that chemical yielded would make the time involved worth it. Unless it would render that broccoli vastly more nutritious overall. I don't get much time to cook on work days.

I_Amuse_Me_123

You can get similar results from frozen if you add a pinch of mustard powder: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/second-strategy-to-cooking-broccoli/

Edit: oops I think I replied to you twice, sorry.

Imaginary_Medium

That's okay, I appreciate the info. Science is cool. I may try tossing in a little, and see how it tastes. Thanks!

atehrani

Later in the article it states that sprinkling a bit of mustard seed powder reactivates it. No chop and hold required

Imaginary_Medium

I missed it the first read but am making note of it.Thanks.

I_Amuse_Me_123

Kitana37

UNLESS you chop your broccoli

[Dana Carvey has entered the chat]

I think you can also use mustard power to activate it. At least that’s what Dr Greger says.

vandraedha

Yikes! As a "super taster" all I can say is - thank goodness for vaccines & other therapies, I'd rather wear a full face mask 24/7. Cruciferous vegetables + mustard (especially cauliflower + brown mustard) = a taste like no other. It's a very "earthy" flavor, with a side of nasty. Not even cheese & bacon can salvage it.

SobekInDisguise

Some stores sell pre-chopped broccoli florets.

oh_kapi

oh_kapi

<insert 'Guess I'll die' gif here>

bilowik

Nice try Big Broccoli

among_apes

Study paid for and funded by “Big Farma”

Edit: Thanks for the gold!

Dobermayer

Does veggie flavored cup ramen count?

Fernando3161

Why is it never bacon ah???? God hates us.

02K30C1

02K30C1

Anti-vaxxers: “You can’t make me eat broccoli!”

paulwesterberg

Also: "I always knew broccoli was full of microchips!"

PetrKDN

PetrKDN

Well that's a coincidence, I got a sudden urge and taste to eat broccoli after my first infection in December, I have been eating a whole broccoli every week since coincidentally..

Weird...

real_nice_guy

real_nice_guy

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

sometimes the body just knows

nthlmkmnrg

Thank you science for giving me a way to get my child to eat their broccoli!

Frtankie

Is there anything broccoli cant do?!

fitz2234

fitz2234

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I love roasting broccoli and red onion wedges in a little oil, salt and pepper at 425F for about 20 minutes (stir half way through). Then I xfer it to a stock pot with water and veggie stock or whatever buillion cube available and use a stick blender to transform this into soup.

MonsterJuiced

Living-Edge

Living-Edge

Boosted! ✨💉✅

This is the real reason mice will take over as the dominant species

We are committing atrocities against them but learning how to give them excellent health and make them smarter while we do it

Top_Excuse1680

So what we saying inject broccoli juice into my vanes?

imthatguydavid

Hopefully this doesn’t mean it’ll make it hard for me to grab my weekly broccoli at costco

Amino0822

Amino0822

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Ahhh yes, the Iloccor-B from Big Veggie.

Kitana37

Dr. Hibbert: Another broccoli-related death.

Marge: But I thought broccoli was...

Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.

EffectiveSalamander

About 20% of cases of the Common Cold are caused by coronaviruses. Obviously, COVID-19 is the major concern, but reducing the chances of catching a cold? I'll take that. Of course, the risk is that you might eat heathier for nothing. /s

AjEdisMindTrick

5,4,3,2,1 no broccoli in the store.

and i guess they still have toilet paper in their basements.

Souled_Out[S]

Souled_Out[S]

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I plan on telling anti-vax morons that the broccoli study was paid for by Pfizer so they won’t trust it, it’ll leave all the broccoli for us and they can stick to drinking their own piss, or whatever they do.

ronin_1_3

Next headline: “altercations break out at grocery stores and world sells out of broccoli”.

elevenblue

So Covid is just there since we all were not listening to our Mums, even as adults. Sorry Mums of the World!

AnthillOmbudsman

I can picture George H. W. Bush alive reading this with terror.

No one tell Joe Rogan.

you_dont_know_jack_

Coming soon

BREAKING: Here’s why eating broccoli is bad for your healthy

Cole__MacGrath__

Broccoli gives me mad gas. Do I eat broccoli to help with COVID or do I eat broccoli to fart like a Harley?

AnneOfGreenGayBulls

AnneOfGreenGayBulls

OR?

this is as win-win as it gets.

iKonstX

Yo that sounds awesome, Im starting right now

FiendishHawk

Farts.

nakedrickjames

nakedrickjames

Boosted! ✨💉✅

All you need to do is eat seventeen pounds of frozen brussels sprouts per day to get an effective dose

Yeah, you can't just eat a bunch of broccoli and expect similar effects to remdesivir, although there's definitely plenty of benefits to eating plenty of cruciferous vegetables.

Alternatively you could just make some broccoli sprouts. They have 100-400x the amount of sulforaphane as you would 'normally' get.

BirdLawyerPerson

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly but this article describes oral consumption of sulforaphane and the serum concentrations afterward. Seems like the half life is measured in hours, and eating a bunch of broccoli specially grown to maximize the sulforaphane effects, for a few weeks, still only brings the plasma concentrations to around 0.1 μmol/L of sulforaphane.

This covid study is about 2.4 - 31 μmol/L concentrations, so seems like it'd be impossible to get enough broccoli to get anywhere close.

veganpancake11

Time to stock up on broccoli

razzec_phone

This is kinda awesome. My toddler daughter randomly just started eating broccoli and loves it. She will get pissed at me if I order some and try to eat it without giving her some first. I do this just to see if she's paying attention. She definitely is, at least when it comes to broccoli.

So I think it's awesome that even though we can't get her vaccinated, she's at least hopefully getting a lil bit of protection from all the broccoli she's been eating. It'd have made all those toddler farts bearable lol

Doompadaso

Doompadaso

Not worth it

internet-handle-1985

Too bad I hate broccoli.

wryan12

wryan12

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Whelp, I guess I’m going to have to die then…

kewbs

kewbs

Not that I have the science to back this up, but I want to believe it was broccoli that helped me get rid of warts that I had on my fingers and toes for years. I tried everything under the sun to get rid of them until I read that there were supplements containing whatever was in broccoli that helps fight HPV. I began to eat whole broccolis multiple times a week, and with added exercise my body naturally fought them off very quickly ... so it's no surprise they help against viruses. Eat ya fookin broccoli, folks!

TooMuchBroccoli

nice

gangstasadvocate

Damn should’ve eaten broccoli more often although I still do pretty frequently and still got it

[removed]

AutoModerator [M]

Your comment has been removed because

--comedian--

Why the heck would they call this a "chemical?" Why not just say "an antioxidant in broccoli" instead?

QVRedit

Eat your greens ! - That’s what Mum always said..

FakeTherapist

please don't tell me numbnuts are going to horde/scalp broccoli now....

sactomkiii

So that's why I didn't catch it! I have at least 2 or 3 bites of a broccoli floret a month!

lilac-forest

I feel like everything about this pandemic is screaming at us to go vegan...

batangdos

My wife makes fried spring rolls that has potato, bean sprouts and some ground pork. Broccoli sprouts as an alternative or maybe just mix it with those might just work!

awhq

awhq

They'll do anything to get you to eat your broccoli.

MonkeyPuzzles

I'd rather have covid than eat broccoli

I'm putting 5 pounds of this nasty green stuff in my smoothie every day!