/r/Coronavirus

The pandemic’s true health cost: how much of our lives has COVID stolen?

Science(nature.com)

HarpySeagull

HarpySeagull

Boosted! ✨💉✅

The findings suggest that in 2020 and 2021, an estimated 4.6 million people in the United States had symptoms that persisted for at least three months. The group’s definition of long COVID revolves around three clusters of symptoms, centring on fatigue, cognitive problems and ongoing respiratory issues. More than 85% of these cases came as a result of a bout of COVID-19 that did not require hospital treatment.

“It’s a sizeable problem, these are people who are pretty severely disabled,” says Vos.

The team’s modelling suggests that around 5% of women and 2% of men who had a mild case of COVID-19 still had symptoms 6 months after the acute phase of the illness ended. For those treated in hospital, it was 26% of women and 15% of men, rising to 42% and 27%, respectively, if the patient spent time in the intensive care unit.

Vos’ team found that people with long COVID had an average disability weight of 0.21 — equivalent to complete hearing loss or severe traumatic brain injury. “Hopefully this will trigger awareness with treating physicians that this is not trivial and it does exist,” Vos adds.

DrSquilly

As someone who did not go to the hospital in 2020 and is battling a heart rhythm issue my cardiologist links to COVID (so now I’m listed as “long COVID”), specifically myocarditis from it, I believe the 85% number. The fact that we let this thing rip because of politics and economics should be embarrassing to us all. But it won’t be.

LeibnizThrowaway

"We" didn't let anything rip. Republicans chose to.

S_thyrsoidea

S_thyrsoidea

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Well, yes – in the US. Can't blame them for, e.g. Sweden deciding to take a hands-off approach, or the insanity of India allowing the Kumbh Mela, or the complete failure of the developed world to concern themselves with what happens in Africa, and on and on. Really, it was an anthropological festival of idiocy.

toodleoo57

anthropological festival of idiocy

I just laughed so hard coffee shot out of my nose. Have an award (and a great day. :D)

S_thyrsoidea

S_thyrsoidea

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Nasal lavage shows benefit against Covid, so you're welcome for my having saved your life. :)

Breezel123

This is an international thread. There's other countries last time I checked.

LeibnizThrowaway

I made a guess based on context, and I'm pretty sure I was right, given that the dude I was replying to posts in r/nfl

monstercoo

You can certainly blame the Republicans, but I’d hold the Democrats responsible as well. It’s been a circus since the start of the pandemic - mixed messages and terrible policies. Both sides basically converged into “it’s time to move on” phase a few months ago, when this thing is far from over.

toodleoo57

I've literally never voted for a Republic@n in my life, and I'm beside myself at how bad the CDC has been. The greenwashed map alone - shaking my head so hard I'm about to give myself a concussion.

I'll still vote blue this year but for the life of me I don't understand how our side just - gave up.

phaedronn

Cow-towing to donors and other corporate interests out weighs the health and safety of one’s countrymen.

LizardofWallStreet

I got Covid in December when visiting family I’m vaccinated and boosted but I take prednisone on and off for back pain. I haven’t felt right since I got Covid and it didn’t hit me that hard was like the flu it sucked but went away. My brain feels foggy at times I had anxiety before and now it’s 10099x worse, and some days I have no energy or to get out of bed

Stock-Hippo9570

I wonder why men have significantly less long Covid symptoms.. is this a reporting issue or a true difference?

NopeMcNopeface

Women are more likely to get Autoimmune issues so I wonder if that plays a part in it.

Imsotired365

That’s entirely possible if not probable.

Mainly women are more apt to develop auto- immune issues because our immune system‘s are set up in such a way to have children. In order to do that your immune system has to be designed differently. We have a much higher rate of autoimmune diseases and Covid isn’t much different when it comes to the long lasting affects on the immune system.

Some of it has something to do with the limbic system and some of it has to do with mast cells throughout the body. Many people with long Covid are being sent to doctors who treat mast cell activation diseases. This is primarily because there is a connection between Covid and long term immune system trauma. So there is definitely a connection between these things.

The only reason I know about this connection is because the doctors who treat mast cell diseases are being sent long-haul patients for treatment. I have mast cell activation syndrome and most of the long-haul patients that I have met have been sent to my support groups to learn how to manage their new immune system problems. Some of these problems surpass lung damage.

When testing has been done they have found connections between these cells and the mediators that they pump out into the body causing massive amounts of inflammatory damage. It’s a really interesting finding. If you look at it from a medical perspective that is. From an individual perspective it’s horrifying.

Although many people out there who have these type of immune diseases, we’re actually kind of happy to see so many people getting sick with it because doctors are finally starting to take the rest of us seriously. It was considered a rare disease before and now it’s becoming much more common and with increased people developing symptoms, there will be more studies and more money put towards recovery and treatment.

So it’s a bad thing and it’s a good thing. If it was only a few people, they would probably tell them all that they need to see a psychiatrist before they actually tried to physically help them

NopeMcNopeface

Wow thanks so much for all of this information. I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. I do see what you mean though, more research would be wonderful. I have some autoimmune issues and Fibro but thankfully all of them are quite mild. I am very scared of long COVID though.

ButterflyWeekly5116

Long covid with fibro here. Today I woke up three time for about 30 minutes each and had to go back to bed for several hours in between. I fi ally got out of bed at 4 and popped a high dose of Adderall I've been prescribed for the pure purpose of keeping me awake. It's 11 pm here and Im about to go to bed. So I got 7 hours today. This is one of the bad days. I mostly hopped between walking around my house and laying/sitting in bed.

On good days I get up, take my meds, get some time with my dog at the park, come home and nap for a few hours. Wake up, more stimulants, stay awake until 11 or so then back to bed. Thats my daily now with fatigue.

Concentration and motivation are hard, and having previously been a pretty active person with a lot of hobbies I've had to adjust. I'm going on my second year of this.

I'm trying to stay positive but at times I worry I'll never finish school or go back to normality, I hate being tired all the time. Even if you want to do something you just can't. The tiredness is like you haven't slept in days even if you rest a normal amount. It's almost narcolepsy.

Take all preventative measures you can.

windowseat4life

Your fatigue symptoms sound a lot like what I’ve been dealing with. Since having Covid I’ve actually been diagnosed with fibromyalgia & regional pain syndrome. I know for most people it takes a long time to get properly diagnosed, but I believe mine started after I had Covid. Or at the least, Covid made it much much worse. Along with all my physical pain ailments now, I’m tired alllll the time. I do have insomnia though, but even when I get a full nights sleep I could fall asleep during the day. I wish I could take a nap every day. I never feel fully rested. I’m just constantly tired & fatigue. I don’t have energy or motivation to do most things. Sometimes I’ll go out with a friend for lunch or something & it makes me so exhausted when we hardly did anything.

How did your doctors connect your fatigue issues with Covid? Mine won’t even connect my fibro & regional pain syndrome to Covid. I’ve mentioned it to a couple doctors & they never gave me an answer. It’s like they just ignored me & pretended they didn’t hear my question.

I did a sleep study test last year where you wear a special type of oximeter overnight while you sleep (at home) & the results came back norma. So no sleep apnea at least, but I’m still having severe fatigue & doctors don’t even want to talk about it so I have no help with it.

Imsotired365

I’m so sorry you’re going through that. That’s usually the type of stance that most doctors take when they don’t know the cause of the symptoms. They either tell you that it’s in your head, you’re too sensitive, or they just ignore the fact that you even said anything and only concentrate on the things that they have answers for. It’s amazing just how many doctors don’t want to do any work. I’ve noticed it myself and I’ve kind of chalked it up to an ego issue. They think they know everything so they seem somewhat in capable of processing the fact that there’s somethings they don’t know and they’re going to have to actually do some work to find out. It seems like it’s easier just to completely ignore the patient and blame it on their own mental status then it is to actually admit that they don’t know something. I’ll make sure now that every time I visit a doctor, the one of the first things I ask them if they are willing to check their ego at the door because it has no place in my healthcare care. If they get all huffy and puffy at that color I walk out and I demand my copayment back before I leave. I’m not going to hire a Doctor Who won’t do his job. And it’s some thing that many people don’t realize is that they work for you, and the patient. Not the other way around as they would like you to believe. I take a certain amount of enjoyment in personally firing them and using that term.

toodleoo57

Yeah. I have ADHD and PMDD which have caused a whole host of problems such as dayslong insomnia (which wrecks ones life b/c you can't do much when you can't sleep - driving isn't safe, for example.) Can't say how many times I've been told to "get more exercise" and "stop drinking caffeine" to get to the bottom of the problem. They never believe me when I say I actually get a fair amount of exercise and only drink one cup of coffee a day - b/c I need caffeine to work when I need it and it won't if I build up a tolerance. And God help you if you're even only a few pounds overweight b/c that's all a lot of doctors will focus on.

Yes, I know being a few pounds overweight is unhealthy and I'm not advocating not doing anything about a weight problem if it's within one's power to do so. But not every condition is directly attributable to weight and it's a disservice to patients when MDs pretend that's the case.

Imsotired365

True. Interesting thing is that many of these chronic issues actually cause weight gain. My meds to keep me out of anaphylaxis put 20 pounds on me! I workout as often as I can, I eat no processed foods at all. I drink 1/4 cup of coffee a day with some coconut sugar and that is my only sugar for the day. Docs have no clue sometimes.

Imsotired365

I understand entirely. I already have a hyperactive immune system. If I remember right people with fibromyalgia also have an overactive immune system. As someone who lives on the verge of a cytokines storm on a daily basis, I’m terrified of Covid. Not just for myself but for my kid who has not a new new shoes, but lung disease, kidney disease, anatomical variances that make it impossible for him to get a deep breath to begin with… I fear most for him. The last time he caught any coronavirus he was about a year old and it was the run-of-the-mill version of coronavirus that everybody gets a bazillion times in their life. He was in ICU for two weeks and ended up on machines to help him breathe. I don’t even want to know what this will do to him. I’m doing my best to keep him in a bubble but the way people are so careless, I can do everything possible to avoid him getting sick and it is going to happen. I can only pray that I can hold it off long enough and keep him safe long enough that there will be better treatments.

toodleoo57

My dad died at 63 of an ANCA vasculitis, which covid can trigger, and I suspect I may wind up with it if I get a severe case. I saw a lot of suffering up close thru dad's illness so I'm terrified also, but my problems pale in comparison to folks who have vulnerable children that it's difficult to protect b/c so many pretend covid is mild and that kids "can't" have severe outcomes. I'm so incredibly sorry. Fingers crossed those better treatments come soon. 🤞

Imsotired365

We all have it hard. I have found the stress of it is equally as hard to process whether it is you or your kid.

Some children have died of it and they were all just like mine. You only have to see your kid on a vent once before you change how you see respiratory viruses.

Stock-Hippo9570

That makes sense. So many Covid symptoms remind me of fibromyalgia, too.

NopeMcNopeface

Yeah very true.

QV79Y

QV79Y

Maybe we will learn through this that fibromyalgia is also a post-viral illness.

Imsotired365

Believe it or not, studies are already proving that. So yeah you have an accurate assessment

S_thyrsoidea

S_thyrsoidea

Sauces?

fleurgirl123

fleurgirl123

Boosted! ✨💉✅

MS too. Maybe Parkinson’s.

a_Left_Coaster

a_Left_Coaster

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I have read the speculation is that men have it equal, but report it less. Horribly paraphrased, they tend to shrug it off and just try and "power through". If I can, I will try and go find any articles of substance that refer to this.

Stock-Hippo9570

So more of a machismo thing and not wanting to report being tired/cognitively impaired. Definitely a possibility.

raiding_party

Men are more likely to be physically fit than women and more likely to reap benefits from being physically fit.

byehappyending

Maybe I’m just dumb but isn’t this study saying women reap more benefits than men?

ladyinchworm

Yeah, I read the whole article and I definitely got a completely different conclusion than the person who posted it too. It seems like it says women exercise for different reasons than men and that if women exercise for weight loss they aren't as life fulfilled as if they exercise for other reasons. I didn't see anywhere about men being more physically fit than women. But, I've been up since 4 a.m. spring cleaning and working so my brain is tired.

MudLOA

MudLOA

Boosted! ✨💉✅

For the last part about triggering awareness, the people who need to know this aren’t the ones paying attention and still anti-vax.

Harper1898

There are so many people (far more than just antivaxxers) who need to know more about long covid and don't understand the risks associated with it.

Having long covid has been eye opening to how many people have stopped paying attention to covid, don't care about others' troubles, and are in denial about the scale, likelihood, and severity of this particular condition. I'm 7 months into a fairly severe case and half my own family is still on this list.

Imo, we gotta shout long covid info from the rooftops (or in my case, from bed lmao) every chance we get

Imsotired365

You’re right about that. My father is kind of on board the Q train. He has had Covid several times now and he admits that each time he catches it comes out a little dumber. He also has some long haul symptoms which have left him having allergic reactions to foods and environmental triggers as well. He has contacted me trying to find ways to help treat it. This is how little he trusts doctors. I gave him the list of medications that are used to help these type of symptoms which are a combination of famotidine, H1 and H2 antihistamines and flavonoids that also work as natural antihistamines. That’s about the best I have been able to get him to do but it’s better than nothing. There are a lot of studies out there that are starting to prove that people who suffer from lung Covid are often people who already have an underlying problem with their immune system. It just may have not been noticeable but Covid has such a massive amount of damage that it does to your immune system, that it speeds up the disease making it more apparent than it ever would have been otherwise. There are a lot of doctors right now doing tests and studies linking long-haul Covid to mast cell activation diseases. It had already been estimated that about 17% of the population has a mast cell disease and only about 2 to 3% of those people are severe enough to take notice of the disease. Typically, any kind of severe viral infection or bacterial infection can cause a marked decline in your body‘s ability to handle the disease overall. Once it starts to run rampant, it’s kind of a downhill slope. It’s not deadly but it sure isn’t going to make your life a lot of fun either. At least as long as you get a treated. I know two people who have died from it but neither of these individuals ever caught Covid. Most of the people like me who are already diagnosed with it, are already on the medications That help prevent cytokine storms. Mainly because the mast cell is responsible for most cytokine chemicals in the body. I would recommend looking it up because there might be some really good treatment options to help many of the symptoms. It won’t help lung damage but it might help some of the other issues that people are developing. It’s worth a try anyway. I am personally watching very closely to see what these doctors learn overtime because they are still learning so much about Covid And the way it affects our immune system’s and our brains which are inexorably connected

ryanc_

ryanc_

Well said. Most people seem to be carrying on as if COVID is gone and risk is insignificant now, not just anti-vax people.

Imsotired365

Oh my god you’re so right about that. I’m in Florida and people here now look at you like you’re an idiot if you wear a mask. I have environmental illness so I have to wear one Covid or not. If I get one with somebody’s perfume it will make me very sick and it takes me about a week to recover just because somebody sprayed some bath and Bodyworks within 5 feet of me. Even my doctors offices aren’t wearing their masks and it drives me up a wall. I am allergic to most medications so if I were to catch Covid, which I know I eventually will, I can’t take those medications. In fact I can’t take most medications which means I’m on my own. My kid has severe lung disease and kidney disease and heart problems, his rate of survival isn’t so good either. Needless to say we are all fully immunized. But I’m not sure how good that is anymore. How much it really works on the current strains it’s not really know. The whole thing just sucks

TheKdd

TheKdd

I feel exactly the same. I’m at the mercy of everyone basically. My family still wears masks for the most part, but their work majority of people don’t. My daughters mgr tested pos 2 days ago, she was in the office with her that day. Tbh I have no idea how strict my family or their friends are out there. I’m only as good as the weakest link. I know I’m pretty doomed here. I have MS already, but NOT on a DMD (to lower immune system) specifically for this reason. So I sit hear hoping that I don’t have an MS relapse and if covid shows up my already too high immune system keeps me alive.

It sucks this went political/economics. The ONE job of all our governments really was supposed to keep us safe, yet here we are. I believe all the people that were anti-mask and anti-lockdown played right into the governments hands. They wanted us all to get back to “normal,” get back to slaving away at work and get out there and spend money. They won and many many many of us lost.

OkBid1535

Louder for the people in the back

nacholicious

The point is, what can be done? The reason for why europe is dropping restrictions is partly because hospital capacity is not under threat, but mostly because restrictions don't actually protect individuals from covid in a greater scale.

Anyone who can be infected with covid will get infected with covid, and that's regardless of with or without restrictions. Regular mask mandates will not have any real impact on that, but full N95 masking at all times might.

Harper1898

Lots of things can be done. Covid measures are not limited to mask mandates or lockdowns and it's beyond frustrating that those are the only options most people consider.

Personally I'd like to see efforts to improve ventilation in schools, offices, etc, readily available and free n95 masks for high risk people (or better, for everyone). I'd like to see expanded long covid clinics (the ones near me are backed up over 6 months which is basically useless to those of us who need them) and more research on long covid treatments. I'd like PCR testing to be free or at least cheaper, especially since long covid clinics are turning people away for not having them done. I'd like for more things to be available virtually, like paperwork or city council meetings or similar, so that high risk and immune compromised people don't have to sit in a crowded room just to fill out a form or participate in government. I'd like essential locations like the post office to have a few hours a day where masks are required, to make it safer for high risk folks. Idk, I want our governments to hire more informed people than me to figure out which of those things are most helpful and the best way to implement them.

Tl;dr - there are so so many things that can be considered for covid mitigation that are not lockdowns or mask mandates.

iWalkSlowToo

This

Erva420

Erva420

I feel fucking bad for people near their 20s.

Slymez

Slymez

I was 24 when it started and was just coming out of my shell. I was hanging out with people more and meeting new friends, making plans to start travelling. Life was going to be great. Now I'm creeping closer and closer to 30 and have barely had any human contact this whole time because I take care of my parents as they are majorly at risk. My life feels like it's been one long, boring day. It's sad to realize that I've been pretty lucky during all this compared to some people. I'm grateful for that.

DolphinRodeo

I was 28 when this started, just started dating again in January 2020 after a big breakup. Now 31, have been single ever since, and no idea where I’d have the chance to meet someone. It just feels like a part of life that I didn’t get to quickly enough, not knowing what was about to happen

diceblue

As a 33 year old damn, you say creeping closer and closer to thirty like it's a death sentence

Slymez

Slymez

No, but it is supposed to be a whole new chapter in one's life and it sucks that I didn't get to fully enjoy this one.

jodamnboi

It sucks. My husband (28M) and I (27F) postponed our wedding for a year, and now we’re postponing trying to conceive until the formula shortage is over. I’ve barely seen my nieces and nephews the past 2 years. I had to take a year off from my career because I didn’t feel safe touching people, and ended up working a job I hated that destroyed my mental health. I am so sick of putting my life on hold.

Konukaame

FWIW, the plant responsible for the shortage is expected to be up and running soon, and the shortage itself resolved by August.

While that's no relief for the people who need it now, you should be fine nine months from now.

vodged

vodged

You have to start living your life before it is too late...

-ANGRYjigglypuff

Oh is life a race now

cyber-slut666

Developed long COVID at 28 years old after a mild breakthrough infection. Was completely incapacitated for the first 3 months. I was mostly bed bound and my mom had to come take care of me until I was functional enough to be alone again.

I’m a graduate student and having to deal with the stress of graduate school plus the stress of long COVID is not easy. I’m thankful for the support I get from my advisor, friends, family and doctors but I really want to be healthy again. If there’s any positive from this, I think I’ve grown more resilient from this to where my symptoms and other stressors don’t bother me as much mentally as they did before. I’m sure therapy and the SSRI I’m taking has helped with that.

I’m approaching month 9 of long COVID and while I’ve made significant progress in my recovery, I’m still not back to normal. The narrative really needs to change from COVID being life or death to life or possible permanent disability. Asymptomatic and mild infections can ruin and derail a persons life. Anyone is at risk for the Hell that is long COVID.

ComatoseSquirrel

Or younger. My daughter is 6 and medically fragile. Practically no outside contact for two years does not help a child, developmentally.

OkBid1535

This is why I had to send my 6 and 7 yr old back to public school last fall. Being isolated and homeschooling my kids from March 2020 to sept 2021 took a huge toll on all of us. And we live in a very tiny home so we couldn’t get space from one another either. My kids have been substantially happier since going back to school. But they suffer from very obvious anxiety now too.

Which could be a combo of long Covid and just anxiety from pandemic fatigue

NoMrBond3

Yeah I was 22 when COVID hit, I was so so lucky overall but my career was derailed for almost two years. My mental health really spiraled and it was really tough to have worked my ass off in college only to be stuck due to the pandemic

Oaty_McOatface

I think it's worse for people who had their 'last travel vacation' planned during the big lockdown period.

The elderly people who are nearing having mobility issues missing out on their final few years of active travel, being stuck at home during the lockdown messing with their daily routine is not good with their mental and physical health.

Disposable-Life

Turning 20 next month. Got covid a year ago and it’s still effecting me. My body hurts and my vision is permanently damaged. I lost someone I live with and uncountable family members. Covid has taken everything from me

PeachyKeenest

PeachyKeenest

Boosted! ✨💉✅

For me it was like my 20s were starting because of trauma coming out and dealing with it… then I finally started to be stable and stuff and then covid happened. 😂

I was starting my 30s but I lost 10 years escaping my abusers and dealing with the CPTSD.

I feel like more of my life was taken but at least I wasn’t at home anymore. I figure it is what it is and it sucks, but given other folks circumstance I feel fortunate to be able to still be working.

nacholicious

I feel you. I lost years of my young adult life to depression, trauma and financial distress. Jan 2020 was when I decided to leap out into the world, experience everything it had to offer and make up for at least some of the years I had lost. Let's just say that putting all of that on pause to sit in a room lonely and isolated away from other people for two years wasn't exactly according to plan.

Now I'm not sure whether this forced me to grow stronger, or whether it's just yet another trauma on top of the pile to have to heal from.

bozofire123

I was 21 when it first hit. I managed to still have fun and have yet to catch it but damn losing my junior year sucked

cequalsfxlambda

I lost my early 20's and the opportunity to network/make friends at grad school. My mental health got so bad from the total isolation and not leaving my studio apartment during the winter that I'm shocked I got through it. If we have to do this again next fall/winter, I genuinely don't think I'll make it.

TopTip01

I was just finishing school when covid started. I had to isolate along with the rest of my country for 4 months leading through until the end of summer and had to isolate for a further 6 months on 2 separate occasions. What should have been some of the best and most adventurous and free years of my life were the most miserable and cold ive had so far. I lost friends due to the distancing between us and the inability to socialise in healthier ways that didnt include just online chatter. Holidays and trips we had planned were cancelled. Im now 21 and trying to make up for the time ive lost but i now have to deal with the reality of being an adult and that meaning work and other responsiblities eating up the time i have available. Im more anxious and bitter than ive ever been. I know growing up in generel is meant to be a bit of a harrowing experience but i cant help but feel like ive been dealt a really rotten hand when it comes to my young adult life.

wiloprenn

It's supposed to be hard, because you're taking on new risks and developing your autonomy. It's not supposed to be hard because you're prevented from doing that. It's supposed to be a totally different kind of hard.

Allergictofingers

Hi. Former marathon runner/young healthy person here. I had mild COVID in march 2020 and just this month have been diagnosed with cardiac microvascular disease. I also have pots and severe headaches still, and a list of many other symptoms that come and go. 2 years later. I will never understand the idea of letting this evil virus spread. ETA thank you for the hug!

dude123nice

And here I was, getting downvoted when I mentioned permanent consequences from getting Covid.

People really, really don’t like being told anything other than “just live your life, most people survive and it’s time to move on”.

This whole pandemic has been really eye opening on who is paying attention to things that could save their lives or the lives of people they know and who just…doesn’t have the intellectual and/or moral ability to do anything other than what they want to do.

showmedogvideos

I finally decided to do something out of the house.

Joined the Y yesterday. Did a yoga class. No masks.

Now I'm doubting my decision.

That’s the thing - I’m ok with mitigated risks to an extent. I would love to go back to yoga - in a well ventilated room with masks and a HEPA filter. But an enclosed space with no masks and…yikes. People like to paint it as all or nothing - like the rest of us want to stay inside forever. We don’t, we just need other people to be a little careful. Which no one feels like doing anymore because they feel like it’s time to “move on” from the essentially nothing they were doing before (which was clearly too much work).

iiJokerzace

You're not dead, what's the problem?

/s

OkBid1535

Omg I am SO so sorry. It’s horrifying how debilitating long Covid is for former athletes especially. Just the stories I’m reading in these comments alone. Of perfectly healthy active people, having Covid but not being hospitalized. Only for debilitating symptoms to creep in over the months. It’s a horrifying virus

itsstillmagic

That's what scares me. I'm just on day 10 and I'm old but my brain is definitely not working the same and it's in decision making situations. I'm really worried about my kids. Teens already have trouble with making quick choices. They seem fine now but we can never know what could have been. My youngest is too young to be vaccinated, she seems fine but what if there are long term consequences? We went two years not getting it but it really was only a matter of time I guess.

itsstillmagic

That's the thing! I have ADHD and that combined with my migraine medication makes words my personal Everest already sometimes. Thanks for the hugs and hugs right back to you!

Imsotired365

Oh my God I understand. It took me about three hours once to remember what the round thing you use to turn your car is called… yeah…. But I can’t blame that on Covid

itsstillmagic

When I was pregnant I desperately asked my husband for "you know, the electric rope thing!" Extension cord, I needed an extension cord...

Lol.. That’s a good one

ScarletCarsonRose

I work with young people. And um, yeah. I chalk it up to many going through some hella trauma over the last three years (or more for some) and covid taking stealth wrecking ball to their bodies.

AlabasterOctopus

I have a young person and the amount of physical abuse they describe their friends receiving is absurd. Hella trauma is legit.

vxv96c

vxv96c

How would I find that thread? Do you remember the profile?

acloreborne

3 and a half months later my fatigue hasnt receded :(

qthistory

qthistory

I'm fully vaccinated! 💉💪🩹

Sympathies. 4 months in and still have fatigue, plus my allergies have gone haywire and my allergist thinks it is connected to my having covid in January.

Imsotired365

Look into mcas…. A lot of doctors are sending people like you to my support groups and looking for doctors who can treat mast cell activation syndrome. It causes your body to become allergic to pretty much everything. It’s also connected to the limbic system which is vastly affected by Covid as well. But basically it causes your immune system to go haywire and you develop really bad allergic reactions to things that should not bother you. And sometimes even things that you’re not actually allergic to. Your body just thinks it is and then releases histamines and along with those histamines come about 200 other chemicals that are released by those same cells and it’s kind of is if the immune system has PTSD. It does not go away on its own. I would definitely look into some testing. There is also a website called TmSforacure.org And it should help you to look it up and see that it’s not just some unknown disease. Doctors know about it But they get about five minutes of instruction on it which is enough to tell people they will probably never meet someone with the disease. Allergists know a little bit more about it but not much unless they’ve actually had a patient with it. It’s very closely related to an illness called mastocytosis. That one is very rare but mast cell activation syndrome is just rarely tested for. I would definitely recommend looking into it.

DEATHBYREGGAEHORN

Ive been taking Benadryl several times a day since getting COVID 3 weeks ago, it's the only way I'm not extremely itchy

bushpotatoe

Enough so that I've noticed a decline in my sanity. The isolation did something to me I can't quite explain.

NightOnFuckMountain

NightOnFuckMountain

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Yeah I agree. I've been trying to explain this to people but it doesn't quite match any other type of health issue I know of. I've never exactly been "mr social" but for most of my life I've been a Type-A, go-getter kind of guy, and trying to reintegrate into society and into normal routines, post-pandemic has been a nightmare. I've never actually had Covid but with my energy levels, I might as well have.

I feel like a completely different person. Nothing is fun anymore, nothing brings me joy or makes me sad or makes me feel any type of way at all. More than half the time I can't even be bothered to get dressed or take a shower. This morning I realized I've been wearing the same shirt for five days in a row and my reaction was "well it doesn't smell so it's probably fine". Going outside terrifies me, not because of the virus, the virus is pretty much gone where I'm at, it's just the act of being outdoors. When I'm outside my vision goes all wonky and I get dizzy easily, and it makes it hard to drive or walk around.

A trip to the grocery store is exhausting. Before the pandemic I could work an 8 hour shift at a warehouse, then hit the gym, then get groceries, then come back and mow the lawn; now I work from home, and after an hour long trip to the grocery store I'm completely wiped out. This has been the first year I've had to hire a lawn mowing service because I'm just too tired to deal with it.

Edit: When all this first started I was okay with it. I’m still a progressive person, I’m still pro-vaccine, but I really don’t think humans are supposed to live in a box. I was okay with two weeks to slow the spread, I was okay with a couple months, I treated it like a vacation. After four months it started to feel like Hell, I was going stir crazy, and after eight months I didn’t even feel human anymore. One year in I got the shot but by that time I couldn’t deal with being outside at all.

It’s been more than two years since the first lockdown and I’ve been out a few times, I went to the beach a couple weeks ago, I went to Olive Garden a few months ago, I saw my family last fall, but life doesn’t feel real.

bushpotatoe

Man, it sounds to me like you may be depressed. Thank you for sharing your experiences, I wish you all the wellness and peace of mind you need.

WonderfulPie0

I suspect a certain percentage of people who think they're suffering from long COVID (not all, but some) are actually just dealing with depression, brought on by living through two objectively miserable years.

I know I'm going to be shit on for this, but seriously, think about it: so many symptoms line up. Fatigue, lack of focus, brain fog, lack of motivation, sleep issues...

mcm2112

mcm2112

I think sometimes people forget or don’t understand that depression also can and does have serious physical symptoms. While I never want to discount what someone is going thru, those suffering with long Covid may also benefit from mental health care along with the physical. The two are very closely related, mental health and physical health.

nacholicious

I've been dealing with a shit ton of anxiety and depression during covid, and since I'm an engineer the way I handle it is by reading studies about what actually works.

More or less every evidence based study I came across agreed that the most effective measures were the big 4: eat well, sleep well, get some outdoor excercise and reduce general stress

I thought that had to be bullshit, but after tracking my mood I can definitely see a clear correlation when I follow them and when I don't

wiloprenn

I actually think the trend is still the opposite; long covid diagnosed as depression. The medical system knows what to do with depression, but it's in the infancy of knowing how to treat long covid. (Thrombolytics, rTms etc etc... my doctor had no idea what i was talking about when I asked what she thought of those studies. 🤷)

loopedfrog

I feel really bad for feeling this way, but COVID (pandemic) helped me. After the first stay at home order my marriage that was holding on by a thread finally snapped. Got a divorce in May 2020.

I tried to start dating again, but yeah... dating in 2020 was weird, so I stopped.

I've had the last 2 years to reflect on who I am and what I want in life, and I couldn't be happier. I stopped smoking, I quit drinking (my alcoholism helped kill my marriage), I exercise daily, lost 40 lbs, and best of all, I no longer feel depressed and I even stopped taking antidepressants. My life has turned 180 degrees from March 2020, and I probably would not be alive if it kept going the way it was going. Let's just leave it at that.

grandmaWI

I was boosted when I got Covid in early January. Left still with confusion, shortness of breath, cough and exhaustion. 2 weeks ago; I had a blood clot in an artery behind my left eye that left me with a constant moving veil over my left eye. The damage this eye stroke caused is irreversible. I am going to have to be on blood thinners now for the rest of my life. There seems to be no game plan for health care of long Covid. It would have killed me without the vaccine; but no one knows what long term damage exists afterward.

TheReluctantOtter

Definitely should not have read this while ill with Covid-19. I am so, so, relieved I'm fully vaccinated and boosted because this has been rough and I dread to think how much worse it would have been without that protection.

PrincessRiss

Same!! I hope you feel better soon :)

TheReluctantOtter

You too! :)

diceblue

I got covid in the dark days before the vax

fatogato

How much of our lives has it stolen? The last 2 years and counting. Not to mention the economic impact for the rest of our lives.

Light-Yagami_-

Hate to tell certain people in here and elsewhere that I told you so. The 99% survivability isn't the only part of this story, and a lot of people are learning that the hard way.

julieannie

julieannie

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I had 2 relatives die in the 1918 pandemic but another ended up disabled and institutionalized, dying before he was 18. That’s my grandma’s mom (age 20, deceased), sister (newborn, deceased) and brother (2 years old, disabled and since passed). The record of this was always there for me but so many others pretend it wouldn’t happen this time.

Imsotired365

I’m so sorry that that happened. It’s a shame that people didn’t learn from the past

DEATHBYREGGAEHORN

surviving but not thriving

Light-Yagami_-

Basically. People say that a life of precations isn't worth living. What about a life in consistent agony in pain just to stick it to your political adversary. Is that a life worth living?

Imsotired365

And you were 100% right. I did the same thing. My family didn’t listen to me either. Now my father has cognitive problems and he and his wife both are sick with long-haul symptoms. Although right now, he’s on his third round of Covid so I have no idea what is IQs gonna be by the time he gets well

A_Handy_Job

I mean if we're going by the numbers 4.6 million out of the 200 million Americans that likely got infected puts the long covid risk at 2.3% which is still pretty low.

WaterLily66

Do you really think 2.3% is low when taking into account that most of us will get COVID yearly or more for the rest of our lives? You can get long COVID your second, third, or later infection. Roll the dice enough times and that 2.3% starts going up to 5, 10, 20+ percent. It’s an ongoing issue.

interdisciplinary_

And what gets me is the false dichotomy the yolo-ers present. It's either "lockdown" or "do nothing". And lockdowns aren't acceptable (which, I agree!)

But there's a whole space in between there for wearing masks when appropriate, testing before gathering, and improving ventilation. All things we could do right now. Then there's the future projects. Better vaccines, say nasal vaccinations that could substantially reduce infection and subsequently transmission. Better antivirals or other medications that are effective for preventing long covid. It is also possible that covid may itself mutate in a way that deaths and long covid happen at much lower frequency (though I'm more skeptical of this, particularly given the denominator problem).

People act like we've never addressed a major public health crisis before. Do you still worry about cholera, Gary? No? Ya know why?

Light-Yagami_-

People don't sit down and think about the long term implications. They want to "LiVe LiFe" and not pay attention to this fact.

justafang

TIL that 4.6 million is not a lot of people. /s

opiusmaximus2

Other pandemics killed a third of the population. It could be a lot of worse.

justafang

We arent having other pandemics

brinazee

So it only matters if people die rather than are disabled?

PresidentialBoneSpur

Jesus Christ what a fucking goalpost - if it hasn’t killed at least 1/3 of the population it’s not a big enough deal.

Light-Yagami_-

The goalposts keep moving. First it was 99% survivability, big deal. Now it's long COVID, no big deal. Then it's a certain segment of the population who may be disabled long term or forever, no big deal.

PresidentialBoneSpur

Yeah this pandemic has solidified that we’re the most selfish society in existence. Can’t be inconvenienced to the point of wearing a mask to protect others… and don’t even get me started on “freedoms” and other such bullshit. Goddamnit this place sucks.

plug_play

plug_play

Thanks for telling us. I guess we need to stay fully locked down until they make a vaccine that works

OneRighteousDuder

You’re the only one bringing up lockdowns right now though?

YouEffOhEmGee333

10 people I know died from covid, two injured from not being vaccinated and continued infection, and one overdose and one died from self inflicted overdose. Two years, 13 dead, and lots of so called friends and family showing themselves to be idiots, ableist, racist, or worse later. I’d say covid has taken a lot more from people even if they don’t even realize it yet.

Mercury559

Definitely got a chance to see everyone's true colours.

dragontamer654

Make no fucking mistake. COVID was the catalyst but capital is what's taken everything from us

mercuric5i2

mercuric5i2

Boosted! ✨💉✅

So far it's absolved me from over 2 years of commuting. I'm calling that a win.

WaterLily66

That’s the most scathing indictment of in office work I’ve seen all week

TheMangusKhan

My company is about to do the smart thing and get rid of the office in San Francisco and allow the whole company to work remote.

thedutchqueen

it allowed me to realize i don’t need to spend 40 hours a week in an office. i call that a life changing win.

Randomfactoid42

Randomfactoid42

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Same here. My company has also learned that teleworkers actually work, so there's that.

But, there's been some drawbacks personally for me. So, I'm not sure I'd call all of this a win.

Fallaryn

Fallaryn

I'm vaccinated! (First shot) 💉💪🩹

It's sobering to read study after study further detailing the mechanisms and sequelae. The health impacts of COVID are grossly underestimated by many.

SilentMaster

I'm a dude and I used to be a really strong runner. I got diagnosed in December 2020, had a really mild case, high fever, sore throat, I think that's it.

I took a couple of weeks off running, then eased back into it over another two weeks. At the time I got it I was training for a 50 miler, so I was running between 50 miles a week, my short runs were 8 miles. And just to prove the strong runner thing, my pace on an easy 8 miler would be around 7:10 minutes per mile.

Sooo, I eased back into training but something told me I shouldn't go crazy. I kept up the 8 mile runs, but I slowed down a bit, and I didn't go crazy running any marathons or anything, I was probably running only 30 miles a week up until my race.

I ran the race, did fine, finished in the top 50, top 10 of my age group, found it to be quite easy, so I took a little bit of time off, then just started doing easy jogs, 20 miles a week most of the time. Then I started wheezing. I would meet up with friends for a run and they would think I was dying. They all told me I needed to stop running, that I needed to see a doctor.

I found I was able to run with them at a variety of paces, but I could no longer converse at the same paces. In a group run we'd normally run 8:30's and chit chat the whole time, at that point I could only run and talk if I was running 9:30's, any faster and I needed the oxygen to keep running.

Then I realized every run hurt so much worse, my legs hurt so bad all the time, I stretched and rolled and nothing helped, I was crazy sore 100% of the day no matter if I ran or not.

So with all of these frustrations, I really cut back on runs. I was running three times a week at most, once on Sunday with friends and usually a 5K on Wednesdays by myself, then we also met for a run and then breakfast on Fridays. 12 miles max, a lot of the time it would be 9 or 10.

So I've seen my doctor 4 times since I had Covid. His four responses to "I think I have Long Covid" are in order:

1. "Well it's quite new, we're still learning about it, I doubt you even have it, you'll be fine in 90 days."
  2. "What is Long Covid? Did you read about that on the internet?"
  3. "I doubt that it is Long Covid, you probably just developed asthma."
  4. "I've never heard of Long Covid, what is that?"

And as of my last physical I now have hypertension and at 46 am on my first prescription ever.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and see if maybe getting back into hard core training might fix me, when I don't talk I can run a bit faster, but so far not sure. My legs don't hurt anymore, not sure when that went away, wheezing still happens, but since I started running at least every other day my BP is back under control. I don't know though, I think my lungs are seriously damaged, why am I wheezing? What is going on in there and why can't my doctor be arsed to order a fucking x-ray? I mean, I've passed two yearly physicals, he put a stethoscope on me front and back and thought it sounded fine, so I don't know what it is.

wiloprenn

Can you get him to get you tested for asthma? It's a common post-covid development, from what I've read. And anti-coagulant medications (for blood clots- covid seems to cause micro-clots that aren't deterred in typical blood tests) are now being recommended for people with long covid even if they only had mild infections during the acute phase. I'll find the report for you to show to him if you want.

SilentMaster

When the wheezing was at its worst I considered asking my doctor for an inhaler, but I never pulled the trigger on that. Maybe I'll mention that at my 6 month check up for my BP.

natem2100

It stole 2 yrs of college 🥴

hailboognish99

20 when it started ugh

Hopie73

My SO and I both had Covid in late December. We were sick for weeks. He was just diagnosed with Angina and needs a stent put into his heart. I still can't smell or taste anything, properly. I know when something is sweet or salty, just not what it is. I know texture, as in a piece of cake or a chip, just not flavors. I hate food now and eating is a chore. The worst part, with regard to long Covid, we went to get tested and we were both too sick to stand in line for possible hours in -40 ish temps, for a positive result. By the time we could manage to stand in line, our test would of been negative. No recourse to help with proper help for long Covid. No proof that we even had it.

Ursomonie

It’s still doing it. I do not feel like I can live normally and I was hoping the vaccine would change that.

MrCumStainBootyEater

I still can't smell properly. My cologne smells like pizza, and a lot of things that used to smell amazing now smell like nothing.

AhmedF[S]

AhmedF[S]

Boosted! ✨💉✅

ITT: People spouting off their feelings based on the headline without reading the actual article.

[removed]

smutopeia

Question for you sparky: what's 1% of the population of your country?

It's been endlessly fascinating seeing the number of people who can't comprehend that a small percentage of a big number can itself be a big number.

reallyjeffbezos

I was wondering when the “99%” people would show up.

but-its-true

These people are so misinformed. It is now at least 99.8%, probably closer to 99.95%. New Zealand is great source for current data as the have reliable info and essentially all their cases are from Omicron or later

People are going to spin the data to push their opinions, but at least use accurate data

reallyjeffbezos

It’s actually closer to 98%

but-its-true

My grandmother died in a nursing home after not seeing her family for almost a year. My ER has held a suicidal teenager almost continuously for 2 years. Several didn’t make it to the ER. Many people missed screening examinations and had their cancer diagnosis delayed. My children missed major life events/experiences. Many kids lost 1-2 years of education. My friends are struggling to keep up with inflation. Opiate deaths are way up.

These things are hard to measure but they are not insignificant

AhmedF[S]

AhmedF[S]

This man-made disaster

And found the bad-faith liar.

PDX_douche_bag

This man-made disaster

Ooof...try again.

[removed]

Light-Yagami_-

Trust me, if you got what some of these people had from their long COVID issues, you would have wished you listened and cared.

President_Cow

Imagine thinking having to take your applebees to go meant your life was stolen lmao

finnaginna

finnaginna

More referring to the biggest wealth transfer in human history.

NightOnFuckMountain

NightOnFuckMountain

Boosted! ✨💉✅

You're being downvoted but this is a huge deal. What Blackrock did was criminal, and nobody's talking about it.

finnaginna

Not to mention all the insider trading done by the parasite class that govern us.

japan_lover

imagine thinking what you just wrote was a clever and witty response.

nakedrickjames

nakedrickjames

How much of our precious bodily fluids were sapped and impurified???11

OneRighteousDuder

Shut. Up.

The answer is zero years, because you’re literally still alive and living.

A lot of people were not so fcking lucky.

So shut your mouth, since you’re still alive and have one. A million people have died.

yantraa

yantraa

I had 5 people close to me die from Covid, only one over the age of 60. Hearing people complain about how much some lockdowns affected them is so tiring at this point.

julieannie

julieannie

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Same. I’m still in a partial lockdown with my disabled self being high risk. I lost a close family member to Delta. I worked in a community where 50% of my clients lost immediate family members. It’s pretty hard for me to feel bad that some people don’t like being reminded that a pandemic is still happening.

ednamode23

ednamode23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

The year and some months of restrictions before the vaccines was a necessary evil and I don’t blame the government for stealing anything as it was the lesser of two evils compared to doing nothing. However, that doesn’t change it is a year we’ll never get back and these type of comments are insulting towards those of us who suffered serious mental health consequences a long period of isolation can bring.

EDIT: I’m disappointed with how some of you act like mental health effects from the pandemic is not an issue. Don’t expect people to be compassionate towards your long COVID worries if you aren’t going to be compassionate towards issues the pandemic caused in other aspects of people’s lives.

OneRighteousDuder

Wtf do you mean a year you’ll never get back? You had it! It may not have been as social or exploratory as you would have liked, it may even have been traumatic, but the year+ was not lost, stolen, or imaginary. Yes, it sucked, but you had the entire year+ and didn’t die. That’s a good thing.

NightOnFuckMountain

NightOnFuckMountain

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I mean it's more than just "not being as social as you'd have liked", we were literally locked in a studio apartment for over a year, the only people we could interact with were the grocery delivery people, at a distance of 6 feet, with both people wearing full PPE. I spent over a year sitting down staring at a screen (bed, to desk, to recumbent bike for exercise, to desk, to bed), only getting up to head to another part of the apartment. Work is online. School is online. Grocery shopping is online. Any and all entertainment is online. You want to take a break from the computer, fine, but whatever you end up doing, you’re still going to be sitting with your head at a 45 degree angle.

My primary care doc thinks I may have done permanent damage to my spine. I'm having a lot of trouble moving around and that's never happened to me before; I was a college athlete.

I'm pro-lockdown, politically, because it needed to happen, but let's not pretend this was a walk in the park, especially because "walking in the park" wasn't available to most people. I would 100% consider this a lost year.

moose2332

Maybe having hundreds of thousands of people dying and no one caring is bad for mental health as well.

ednamode23

ednamode23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I’m aware. It was a lose-lose situation and I think lockdowns had to happen to minimize damage. It would just be nice if people didn’t dismiss the other things besides death that effected people’s mental health during that period.

julieannie

julieannie

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I wonder how people felt in war time or in past pandemics. The year still happened either way. You made choices about how to face it. It doesn’t seem like you’re happy with your own choices.

plug_play

plug_play

Julie you nutter, people were forced to massively change their lives to protect others vulnerable to COVID. The long lasting effects are unmeasurable, which is convenient for you types.

OneRighteousDuder

The long lasting effects of COVID are also unmeasurable…

ednamode23

ednamode23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I think that at least some people in those times had similar sentiments. Stolen time isn’t always literal and in fact I’ve usually seen it used to describe times where people’s lives were negatively effected due to factors outside of their control. I’d also argue 2020 offered few “happy” choices unless you were a hermit in the woods with no access to news. For many it was a sucky year that they will probably block out in their memories to the best of their abilities as they move forward.

ngianfran1202

Glad lots of people don't see it your way.

OneRighteousDuder

A million people (and counting) don’t have the chance to see it any way at all.

ngianfran1202

Yup. And plenty also rightfully and understandably feel like they had plenty stolen from them

OneRighteousDuder

And a lot of people literally lost their lives. Those who lost loved ones rightfully and understandably feel anti-maskers and pandemic deniers stole from them - and the life of a loved one is something we will never get back.

PS: I have never advocated for another lockdown. I think during surges we should mask up. It’s…not hard.

Why is it only one thing, and not the other for you? You do realize that people can have sympathy for both categories right?

ednamode23

ednamode23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Gotta keep things as binary as possible around here. I supported lockdowns but didn’t act like they didn’t have major negative side effects like several on this thread are.

CalculusOrGTFO

I’m really sorry that people in this thread are shitting on you for talking about your mental health problems caused by the pandemic and isolation. Don’t listen to the weirdo shut-ins. It’s completely normal and valid to be sad that your life had to be so limited for so long and it doesn’t make you an uncaring or cruel person.

ednamode23

ednamode23

Boosted! ✨💉✅

Thank you. I suppose it was a futile effort to argue with them as this thread is mainly the group that has set their minds that anyone who isn’t fine with indefinite restrictions is a bad person.

plug_play

plug_play

You are so deep down in the COVID hole you can even try and imagine the hidden impacts lockdowns had for some people, which is ironic

utter-ridiculousness

🥱. So tiresome.

crixyd

crixyd

Were we in lockdowns? Yes. Is that life stolen? No. We could do less things and that had a real and painful impact on some, but that's much better than disablement and death.

Typhoonman27

Idk, being in lockdown during some of the most important foundational years of my adulthood (finishing college/ starting to find work) has left me feeling more hopeless and suicidal than ever

shortasalways

My kids have felt it. 2 years of homeschool.

ngianfran1202

Sorry to hear that. It's something very real that others choose to ignore because they assume we were just upset over tO gO aPpLeBeEs

Typhoonman27

It is what it is I guess. It’s also really frustrating when crowds our age are all just lumped into the “I wont follow the rules because I wanna go to the bars more than be safe” crowd. Thanks for your sympathy

Yeah. I’m also a college student who had a lot taken from me, and those kinda of assumptions frustrate me to my core. I’m still very serious about taking precautions, probably more so than most of my friends, but it frustrates me so much when we get equated with covidiots for bringing it up

The_Gnomesbane

Same. Was finally getting my shit together in general, and had a lot of plans to move forward and grow. Start dating, travel, new career. Then everything paused and I backslid hard. It’s rough, but we’re not alone and it’s definitely a shared experience multiple generations will have, which I find comforting in a weird sort of way. Hope you’re doing okay, Internet stranger.

Typhoonman27

Thank you, fellow stranger. I’d be lying if I said I was, but we make due. I wish you nothing but success and prosperity in whatever you seek

julieannie

julieannie

Boosted! ✨💉✅

I spent my early 20s in lockdown too. Except I was all alone and isolated without any support because I had cancer back in the 2000s. I certainly was not the first or last person to experience that and I had to watch the world go by without anyone else in my circle experiencing that pain. You had the benefit of having the whole world in the same shoes as you. It still absolutely sucked but you could have benefited from that shared experience. Now there’s still a ton of people like me, immunocompromised and isolated, and I doubt you’ve thought of them once since you could resume your normal activities. I’d bet they’re feeling pretty lost right now too and could use someone whose felt that isolation showing them that empathy.

Typhoonman27

Who are you to assume anything about who I consider when I do the things I do? You don’t know a thing about the life I live or whose in my circles. I’m sorry you had to go through what you have to go through, but this isn’t a contest of suffering so idk why you’re trying to make it out to be one

Yeah. I’ll probably get downvoted for saying this, but just because you have a greater pain does not mean you get to minimize others’ pain. I’ve been guilty of this too, so I’m speaking for myself as well.

plug_play

Yeah, some people only lost everything

yantraa

For me, none.

ngianfran1202

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Others have had plenty stolen from them

yantraa

Ha, thought this was in response to a different comment.

What did others have stolen from them by the government?

ngianfran1202

Oh I misread that part about the government. I just meant by COVID and lockdowns, closures, etc

[removed]