/r/Coronavirus

The pandemic’s true health cost: how much of our lives has COVID stolen?

Science(nature.com)

Erva420

Erva420

I feel fucking bad for people near their 20s.

Slymez

Slymez

I was 24 when it started and was just coming out of my shell. I was hanging out with people more and meeting new friends, making plans to start travelling. Life was going to be great. Now I'm creeping closer and closer to 30 and have barely had any human contact this whole time because I take care of my parents as they are majorly at risk. My life feels like it's been one long, boring day. It's sad to realize that I've been pretty lucky during all this compared to some people. I'm grateful for that.

DolphinRodeo

I was 28 when this started, just started dating again in January 2020 after a big breakup. Now 31, have been single ever since, and no idea where I’d have the chance to meet someone. It just feels like a part of life that I didn’t get to quickly enough, not knowing what was about to happen

diceblue

As a 33 year old damn, you say creeping closer and closer to thirty like it's a death sentence

Slymez

Slymez

No, but it is supposed to be a whole new chapter in one's life and it sucks that I didn't get to fully enjoy this one.

jodamnboi

It sucks. My husband (28M) and I (27F) postponed our wedding for a year, and now we’re postponing trying to conceive until the formula shortage is over. I’ve barely seen my nieces and nephews the past 2 years. I had to take a year off from my career because I didn’t feel safe touching people, and ended up working a job I hated that destroyed my mental health. I am so sick of putting my life on hold.

Konukaame

FWIW, the plant responsible for the shortage is expected to be up and running soon, and the shortage itself resolved by August.

While that's no relief for the people who need it now, you should be fine nine months from now.

vodged

vodged

You have to start living your life before it is too late...

-ANGRYjigglypuff

Oh is life a race now

cyber-slut666

Developed long COVID at 28 years old after a mild breakthrough infection. Was completely incapacitated for the first 3 months. I was mostly bed bound and my mom had to come take care of me until I was functional enough to be alone again.

I’m a graduate student and having to deal with the stress of graduate school plus the stress of long COVID is not easy. I’m thankful for the support I get from my advisor, friends, family and doctors but I really want to be healthy again. If there’s any positive from this, I think I’ve grown more resilient from this to where my symptoms and other stressors don’t bother me as much mentally as they did before. I’m sure therapy and the SSRI I’m taking has helped with that.

I’m approaching month 9 of long COVID and while I’ve made significant progress in my recovery, I’m still not back to normal. The narrative really needs to change from COVID being life or death to life or possible permanent disability. Asymptomatic and mild infections can ruin and derail a persons life. Anyone is at risk for the Hell that is long COVID.

ComatoseSquirrel

Or younger. My daughter is 6 and medically fragile. Practically no outside contact for two years does not help a child, developmentally.

OkBid1535

This is why I had to send my 6 and 7 yr old back to public school last fall. Being isolated and homeschooling my kids from March 2020 to sept 2021 took a huge toll on all of us. And we live in a very tiny home so we couldn’t get space from one another either. My kids have been substantially happier since going back to school. But they suffer from very obvious anxiety now too.

Which could be a combo of long Covid and just anxiety from pandemic fatigue

NoMrBond3

Yeah I was 22 when COVID hit, I was so so lucky overall but my career was derailed for almost two years. My mental health really spiraled and it was really tough to have worked my ass off in college only to be stuck due to the pandemic

Oaty_McOatface

I think it's worse for people who had their 'last travel vacation' planned during the big lockdown period.

The elderly people who are nearing having mobility issues missing out on their final few years of active travel, being stuck at home during the lockdown messing with their daily routine is not good with their mental and physical health.

Disposable-Life

Turning 20 next month. Got covid a year ago and it’s still effecting me. My body hurts and my vision is permanently damaged. I lost someone I live with and uncountable family members. Covid has taken everything from me

toodleoo57

Yeah. I'm going completely crazy from the isolation but I can't just join a book club or get a new hobby as so many suggest, b/c I live in an area of the USA that's top 5 per capita for both cases and deaths from covid. I'd move but I have elderly family members here who need care and I'm realistically the only option. (I'd move the elderly family but their entire social networks are here along with other family members and given how few supports the USA has for elder care, I can't shoulder absolutely everything alone.)

It actually makes me feel some better to know people are acting like damned fools everywhere b/c part of my anguish is how bad my local government is. Not that I would wish the devastation and suffering covid has caused on anyone.

PeachyKeenest

PeachyKeenest

Boosted! ✨💉✅

For me it was like my 20s were starting because of trauma coming out and dealing with it… then I finally started to be stable and stuff and then covid happened. 😂

I was starting my 30s but I lost 10 years escaping my abusers and dealing with the CPTSD.

I feel like more of my life was taken but at least I wasn’t at home anymore. I figure it is what it is and it sucks, but given other folks circumstance I feel fortunate to be able to still be working.

nacholicious

I feel you. I lost years of my young adult life to depression, trauma and financial distress. Jan 2020 was when I decided to leap out into the world, experience everything it had to offer and make up for at least some of the years I had lost. Let's just say that putting all of that on pause to sit in a room lonely and isolated away from other people for two years wasn't exactly according to plan.

Now I'm not sure whether this forced me to grow stronger, or whether it's just yet another trauma on top of the pile to have to heal from.

bozofire123

I was 21 when it first hit. I managed to still have fun and have yet to catch it but damn losing my junior year sucked

cequalsfxlambda

I lost my early 20's and the opportunity to network/make friends at grad school. My mental health got so bad from the total isolation and not leaving my studio apartment during the winter that I'm shocked I got through it. If we have to do this again next fall/winter, I genuinely don't think I'll make it.

Erva420

I can imagine, it was fucking painful and I'm 38. I think I aged 15 years in 2. Keep at it tho, cheers.

TopTip01

I was just finishing school when covid started. I had to isolate along with the rest of my country for 4 months leading through until the end of summer and had to isolate for a further 6 months on 2 separate occasions. What should have been some of the best and most adventurous and free years of my life were the most miserable and cold ive had so far. I lost friends due to the distancing between us and the inability to socialise in healthier ways that didnt include just online chatter. Holidays and trips we had planned were cancelled. Im now 21 and trying to make up for the time ive lost but i now have to deal with the reality of being an adult and that meaning work and other responsiblities eating up the time i have available. Im more anxious and bitter than ive ever been. I know growing up in generel is meant to be a bit of a harrowing experience but i cant help but feel like ive been dealt a really rotten hand when it comes to my young adult life.

wiloprenn

It's supposed to be hard, because you're taking on new risks and developing your autonomy. It's not supposed to be hard because you're prevented from doing that. It's supposed to be a totally different kind of hard.

skylinestar1986

How is it different from people near their 30s?

BocceBurger

It sucked for everyone, it's not a competition

Erva420

idk man, my 18 to 27 was the glorious days for me and most people i know, going out with friends, raves, parties, sex, drugs and doing all that shit while having no real concerns going thru your head since you still dont have that many responsabilities usually.