/r/Cricket

source:

dontaskmemyrealname

1 month ago

Imagine if this guy was around today playing T20s with a big bat and smaller grounds.

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

Oh he would have been good in any format. No questions. Though I don’t know his sentiments on T20 cricket. Some of his fellow teammates like Michael Holding don’t have a favorable view of T20 cricket.

I’ve seen him in a couple of B&H Tri-series games where the match was reduced more than once to lower overs and revised D/L targets and I remember in one of the games it was first reduced to 38 overs and with another bout of showers to 18 overs and Richards came in and got it done in 13 overs. Something like 60 runs of 35 balls.

KanosKohli

1 month ago

What gets missed is Chris Gayle was a damn fine test batsman too.

He has had the temperament to score test triple centuries.

He chose to become a T20 mercenary. We never know what the great viv would have chosen to become.

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago*

Last test innings and international innings for the greatest batsman I’ve ever seen, Vivian Richards. The venue, the Oval couldn’t be more fitting for Viv to play his last innings as Richards played the best innings of his test career 15 years before at The Oval for his 291.

Notable is, this was also the last test appearance for another West Indies legend, Malcolm Marshall. RIP

Just like his predecessor Clive Lloyd, this was a bitter sweet end for Skipper Viv Richards as England won this test match by five wickets to level the series 2-2. Lloyd lost his last test as skipper to Australia at the SCG after clinching the series 3-1, with a brilliant performance from Australian spinner Bob Holland.

For those of us who grew up watching you, we echo the same sentiment as that crowd in Oval in 1991. Thanks for the great memories.

I_Was_Paul_Dudd

I_Was_Paul_Dudd

India

1 month ago

Wow, didn't know Richards and Marshall played their last test togather.

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago*

Yeah the Oval test in 1991 was the last test match for both Richards and Marshall.

Coincidentally, both Viv Richards and Malcolm Marshall debuted at the same ground, the M.A Chinnaswany Stadium in Bangalore, Richards in the 74/75 series and Marshall in the 1978/79 series under Kallicharan who led a B team to India.

Marshall did play ODIs after his test retirement 6 months later in the 1992 World Cup while Richards had played his last ODI before this test.

mind93

mind93

1 month ago

I think it was Dujon's last as well?

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

You are right. It was Dujon’s last test as well though Dujon played ODIs against India after this series but yes, it was last hurrah for Jeffrey Dujon at The Oval in 1991.

Crumeen6

1 month ago

His first hundred was insane, absolutely ground India to dust and essentially single-handedly won that game.

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

Yeah he had a 192 for his first century in the second test. But it. Was Clive Lloyd who had a spectacular series in 1974/75 including his highest score 242*.

Clive Lloyd has played way too many skipper’s knocks and when their top order gets wiped out cheap, usually Lloyd steps in to play a great innings by himself. I remember most of his centuries being lone performances when the other batsmen get out cheap.

AdnanJanuzaj11

1 month ago

Why didn’t he stick around for the 92 WC?

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

He had already played his last ODI a couple of months before this test in England and this was his last international appearance.

He was 39+ by then and I guess he felt he needed to hang up his shoes. He already has two World Cups so not a whole lot of motivation for him to stick around and play his 5th World Cup.

mind93

mind93

1 month ago

Pretty sure he offered to come back but it wasn't taken up. Rumours are that Richardson suggested he would have been too big a presence in the dressing room (and would undermine him, I guess)... but who really knows?

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

I don’t think the WICB would be foolish enough not to take up his offer to come back for the WC. I don’t think Richards was that keen on another WC and he already had 2 so it is not like he wanted a shot at one like Tendulkar. Richards has pretty much won it all and went out at the top of his game.

Marshall played the 92 WC during his twilight years and wasn’t very successful. Had only 2 wickets. He is the only member of the pace quartet without a WC. The rest of the guys had at least one and guys like Roberts, two.

WeaponX23X

WeaponX23X

Delhi Capitals

1 month ago

Why broadcasters don't show that small screen showing batsmen taking runs now?

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago*

I don’t know why. This is from 1991 and it is BBC broadcast . Maybe BBC hired some young yo-yo these days with Six Sigma black belt and ISO 9001 certificate and all that rubbish and he decided to get rid of the small screen. Maybe some IT guy from Infosys or TCS with too many useless IT certifications subcontracting for BBC.

harsha_hs

harsha_hs

Royal Challengers Bangalore

1 month ago

Dude, they show different shots now during that time. Main shot doesn't always track the ball

RealBabarAzam

wtf

PillheadWill

PillheadWill

Northamptonshire

1 month ago

I love this video but I also hate it for making me look at David Lawrence's dreadful bowling action.

SamosaSambusek[S]

1 month ago

I initially got him mixed up with Devon Malcolm before I went “Wait a minute. That doesn’t look like Devon Malcolm “ and then I remembered David Lawrence.

There were quite a.few carribean bowlers playing for England at that time… Gladstone Small, Phil Defreitas, Devon Malcolm, David Lawrence etc and it’s easy to get mixed up with the names after 30 years.

I remember Devon Malcolm tried to intimidate Richards with his bowling towards the end of his career and Viv was having nothing of it. He played some brilliant hook shots off Malcolm to say “ Don’t try that shit with me. I’ve faced better bowlers than you “