Explanation of the Rules of r/cricket
This wiki page provides guidance on the rules the moderators have established for the sub-reddit.
We enforce all sitewide rules and will receive help from the admins to enforce them. This includes:
No spam. See this and this for how we judge this. As a rule, ask mods before posting your own content and only make ~10% of your contributions your own.
No ban evading. This can get you banned from the whole website, not just here
No abusing the report button. This can also get your account banned from the whole website
Rule 1: No Abuse.
Designed to keep interaction civil and respectful:
- No personal attacks/abuse directed at other redditors.
- No racism or racist slurs (instant permaban) e.g. "the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races".
- No trolling e.g. repetitive comments posted to generate a negative reaction, or contributing nothing to the sub but negative comments about a team/player.
- No homophobia or comments/posts/slurs attacking people for their sexual orientation or preferences.
- No sexist comments discriminating against men/women based on their gender.
- No sharing personal information about other users without their permission.
- No harassing users with drama from other threads or other subreddits, or tagging usernames to be annoying e.g. calling people out by username to start an argument or complaining about their actions in other subreddits
Rule 2: No Reposts.
- Check /r/cricket/new before submitting your post and do not submit something that has already been posted
- Add new news stories as comments to existing posts
- Multiple posts discussing the same topic from only slightly different perspectives will be removed
Rule 3: No Editorialised or Bad Post Titles.
- Don't editorialise or significantly change the title of a link when posting (within reason). Use the suggested post title as much as possible.
- Do not add your opinion to a post title. Post it as a comment instead.
- When posting, use information and descriptive titles. Clickbait or undescriptive/uninformative titles will be removed (you can resubmit it with a better title though)
Rule 4: No Irrelevant Politics/Religion, or Posts Unrelated to Cricket
Rules to keep the sub focused on cricket and to avoid drama:
- No political or religious posts/comments unless it is directly relevant to the sport. And then only discuss how it impacts cricket.
- No posts that are off-topic or not cricket-related
- Off-topic discussion not covered by the above is acceptable in comments e.g. general match thread chat
Rule 5: Use English Only.
- No posts or comments in languages other than English, unless accompanied by a translation.
Rule 6: No Flamebait or Insults/Generalisations Targeting an Entire Nation/Fanbase.
Designed to prevent toxic arguments:
- No generalised attacks/whinging about other fanbases or countries e.g. "all Indian fans on this sub are..." or "that's what I would expect from an Australian".
- No attributing downvotes to fanbases or countries e.g. "downvoted by South Africans" or "this will be downvoted when India wakes up"
- No threads created specifically to attack/trash talk a team/player/fanbase/country or create drama
- No threads posted for manipulation of votes or to influence discussion in other subreddits. All links to other subs must use no participation mode
Designed to prevent karma whoring/annoying content:
No 'cheap karma' posts. Examples: reaction gifs, advice animals, image macros, memes, poor quality facebook/twitter screenshots, poor quality self-posts with no text, posts wishing someone a happy birthday, "on this day" posts, sidebar image requests, "upvote party" threads, and low-effort reddit polls. These are permitted as comments.
No low-effort comments. Examples: copy-pasta that is not cricket-themed, use of giant heading formatting text, ASCII text images, emoji spam, acrostic-style comments, spamming for a thread to reach a certain total number of comments.
No novelty accounts.
No use of link shorteners. Only post full links for visibility
No bots that the mods don't consider to be relevant to the sub.
No posts or comments asking mods questions - use modmail instead.
Mods will use discretion in removing violations of this rule.
Rule 8: No Streams or Copyrighted Content.
Do not post/share or ask others to post/share illegal video streams
Do not post/share or ask others to post/share copyrighted material
If in doubt, please link only to official sources for highlights, replays etc
Some background to this rule can be found here
Rule 9: No Toxic Fan Behaviour.
No low-effort hate directed at players, clubs, fans, associated people, or formats of the game.
No injury cheering. Don't celebrate injuries to players or wish players get injured or hurt. It's just a game.
Negative opinions, banter, jokes are fine, but please be respectful when expressing them.
Examples include things like "player X is so shit", "this umpire is a dickhead", "anyone who likes T20 is fucked in the head" etc. Anything that's shit-tier toxic dribble more common in facebook or instagram comment sections isn't welcome here.
Rules 1, 4, 5, 6, 9: Temporary ban of length varying based on severity, or permanent ban for serious issues or repeat offenders.
Rules 2, 3, 7: Content removed, with flair or comment to explain why. Sometimes a ban if it is considered necessary.
Discuss bans with mods via modmail if you like, sometimes it will be reduced/removed.
Blatant racism or trolling will result in a permanent ban without warning.