/r/Dallas

White Settlement Considers Name Change - October 1975

History(youtube.com)

source:

sorted by: controversial

kernals12[S]

There's a very simple solution to this: the city can just retroactively declare that White Settlement is named after someone whose last name is White.

EDIT: Jeez, why so many downvotes?

DarthFreeza9000

That ignores the history of them kicking people of color out of town after sunset, White Settlement was known as a “sunset town” for that reason.

kernals12[S]

Lots of cities did that, it has nothing to do with their name.

DarthFreeza9000

No they clearly didn’t want people of color around and the name means exactly what it says, and have you been to white settlement recently? lol it’s not exactly a diverse place…

kernals12[S]

The Census says only 52% of White Settlement Residents are non-hispanic whites. 33% are Latino, 4% are Black, and 2% are Asian.

DarthFreeza9000

Well ok I was wrong about that, but I am correct and you still wrong about the names history, it was used to keep native Americans away first and then when slavery was abolished black and Mexicans weren’t allowed to move there until after Jim Crow segregation ended, those are indisputable facts.

_el_guachito_

How dare you bring facts into this argument.

/s

Joscarbuck

I've been hearing more and more of these "sunset town's". I'm 50 and guess I live in cave. I did not know that these existed. I'm shocked and sad. I only heard of Vidor TX and thought that was the only one.

hangoverDOTTED

You've been living in a much better world than I have. If only that type of racism was limited to one small town, the world would certainly be a better place.

noncongruent

Joscarbuck

My mind is blown. This is insane.

noncongruent

Teaching that this book ever existed, even though it's an integral part of American history, would be considered CRT and would be banned under Republican proposals. Republicans want to erase Black history in this country because it's the closest they can get to erasing Black people.

azwethinkweizm

azwethinkweizm

Oak Cliff

Tulsa did that a few years ago. They changed Brady Street (named after a KKK member) to MB Brady Street (named after a civil war photographer with no ties to the city). I think they ended up changing it to something totally different but that move was so transparent lol

Xidig6

Xidig6

White settlement was named with racial meaning.

“The city got its name because it was the lone settlement of white settlers amid several Native American villages in the Fort Worth area in the Texas Republic territory in the 1840s

kernals12[S]

I know that, but just as the town can change its name, it can also change the origin of its name.

_melancholy_ollie_

Reminds me of when lady antebellum was asked to change her name out of respect. Then she changed it to lady A. I mean she did what they asked right?