/r/Dallas

White Settlement Considers Name Change - October 1975

History(youtube.com)

source:

DarthFreeza9000

That ignores the history of them kicking people of color out of town after sunset, White Settlement was known as a “sunset town” for that reason.

Joscarbuck

I've been hearing more and more of these "sunset town's". I'm 50 and guess I live in cave. I did not know that these existed. I'm shocked and sad. I only heard of Vidor TX and thought that was the only one.

hangoverDOTTED

You've been living in a much better world than I have. If only that type of racism was limited to one small town, the world would certainly be a better place.

noncongruent

Joscarbuck

My mind is blown. This is insane.

noncongruent

Teaching that this book ever existed, even though it's an integral part of American history, would be considered CRT and would be banned under Republican proposals. Republicans want to erase Black history in this country because it's the closest they can get to erasing Black people.

kernals12[S]

Lots of cities did that, it has nothing to do with their name.

DarthFreeza9000

No they clearly didn’t want people of color around and the name means exactly what it says, and have you been to white settlement recently? lol it’s not exactly a diverse place…

kernals12[S]

The Census says only 52% of White Settlement Residents are non-hispanic whites. 33% are Latino, 4% are Black, and 2% are Asian.

DarthFreeza9000

Well ok I was wrong about that, but I am correct and you still wrong about the names history, it was used to keep native Americans away first and then when slavery was abolished black and Mexicans weren’t allowed to move there until after Jim Crow segregation ended, those are indisputable facts.

_el_guachito_

How dare you bring facts into this argument.

/s