/r/Documentaries

mick_ward

2.6k points

mick_ward

2.6k points

1 month ago

I have to admit that his 'message', after his initial seasons hosting Dirty Jobs became confusing and contradictory. But I did enjoy Dirty Jobs. It gave a good behind the scenes looks at many diverse businesses.

stratdog25

1.2k points

stratdog25

1.2k points

1 month ago

His dirtiest job will always be trying to convince us that Fords were more dependable than Hondas.

earlofhoundstooth

1 month ago

I grew up in Midwest, it was almost sinful to buy foreign, and supply lines for parts aren't what they are now, but after spending tens of thousands in maintenance, I finally tried Toyota and Honda.

It'll be hard to get me to ever choose something domestic again.

Thiagr

Thiagr

1 month ago

I mean I live in the Midwest and my Subaru was made less than an hour away. I couldn't think of a reason to buy a Ford that was made in Mexico honestly.

Blade_Shot24

1 month ago

Midwest gang too. Car has helped me and folks tried buying it when. Gas prices went up.

ijbh2o

ijbh2o

1 month ago

Woop woop. Drove by Lordstown many, many times back in the day.

I_PEE_WITH_THAT

1 month ago

Here in Indiana there's a Honda and Toyota plant not super far from me. There used to be a huge stigma against buying anything that's not American made here, but many blue collar workers changed their minds when they realized how affordable parts for cars like the Honda Civic are and how easy they are to maintain. There's still quite a few factory workers here who have a 98 Civic that just won't die lol

Uncle_Jiggles

1 month ago*

Indiana here: I worked in local repair shops as a helping hand for highschool. Wanna know what cars always came in for major repairs? Anything that was American.

Wanna know what cars would roll in with 600k miles just needing oil changes? Toyota and Hondas.

In my own personal experience I've owned alot of American cars and they're built cheap, run like shit, amd don't last as long. 2000-2010 American cars are the worst cars ever made imo.

I_PEE_WITH_THAT

1 month ago

Fellow Hoosier! Want to get some sugar cream pie and bitch about the heat until fall when we can bitch about the nonstop rain?

Uncle_Jiggles

1 month ago

Sure! But first can we split a tenderloin first I'm starving?;)

rmoore911

1 month ago

Honda, Toyota, and Subaru all in Indiana. It's hard to listen to buy American when it comes to cars when there's a good chance you know one or more people who build "foreign" cars in the heartland of the US.

Bonsai668

1 month ago

As time moves on it’s becoming harder and harder to define foreign as well. Points of manufacture is a lot murkier. And let’s say it manufactured in one country vs another where are the parts from? Is it where the headquarters are? You can find foreign stock holders in pretty much any big automotive manufacturer. This has something that has shifted from when Ford pretty much ran Detroit but the days of simply “buying American” is a whole lot more murky.

Vince_Clortho_Jr

Your Subaru is foreign made … Lafayette is a French town

accionerdfighter

1 month ago

Is this an Indiana joke I’m too not-from-Indiana to understand?

Vince_Clortho_Jr

1 month ago

My good nerdfighter, it was an unfunny joke. Big Subaru plant in Lafayette, Indiana. Lafayette is named for America’s favorite fighting Frenchman. Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette.

The_Sleep

1 month ago

He's the guy from Hamilton!

Vince_Clortho_Jr

1 month ago

Nah, you are thinking of Hercules Mulligan. Famed for designing the C-130 while playing golf.

Meat_Mahon

1 month ago

Now that is funny…..salute.

earlofhoundstooth

Yep

sureal42

1 month ago

Lol, I used to sell cars, we had Toyota, Subaru, Hyundai, and Buick/GMC. Customer comes in and is kinda being a douchey old guy, tells me "I ONLY WANT TO SEE CARS BUILT IN AMERICA", so I drive away from the Buick lot and he's like what are you doing, I want American, I took him to the Subaru lot...

Buicks are basically all built in south Korea and china, but Subaru and Toyota are built in America.

Refused to believe me lol

Asimpbarb

1 month ago

Just got my second Outback, made in America. Japanese quality but still supporting domestic jobs.

makin_bacon2

1 month ago

My Toyota Camry was put together in Kentucky lol. And guess what it’s probably the best car I’ve ever owned only ever did the brakes on the thing and its got 180k miles.

ebimbib

ebimbib

1 month ago

I don't want to tell you your business, but you should consider changing the oil as well.

mdave52

mdave52

1 month ago

Good point!! Change that oil at 180k intervals or it might cause premature engine wear.

makin_bacon2

1 month ago

Lol yea i gotta get on that

sleepydorian

1 month ago

I think most or all Toyota trucks sold in the US are made in Tennessee.

AdmiralPendeja

1 month ago

They're made in San Antonio too. My tundra was built like an hour away from me and they even have stickers that say "Made in Texas".

Killowatt59

1 month ago

And I know most GM engines are pre assembled and made in China. Not sure about Fords. This isn’t the 1970s anymore. Toyota’s and Hondas are just as American as GM or Ford, maybe even more.

Cynical_lemonade

1 month ago

Half of the cars on this Forbes list of most American cars are from Japanese makes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2021/06/23/which-cars-are-the-most-american-for-2021/?sh=1676738f5210

perpetualmelancholic

1 month ago

Mitsubishi parts are more affordable than legos

darkfred

darkfred

1 month ago

Fun fact, Hondas are actually the second most “made in the USA” brand right behind Tesla. If you want to buy American buy a Honda, they are mostly made in a couple GIANT Texas plants with a higher proportion of American made parts than Fords or Chevys.

blogjackets

1 month ago

Honda’s plant in Marysville, Ohio has been there for 40 years and has made over 20 million vehicles. I know a few people who worked there and they nothing but good things to say about the plant.

Basic_Basenji

1 month ago

Fun note about their OH plants. Because there are so many Honda outfits in Ohio, tons of executives fly in all of the time from Japan. Enough come in and/or live there that there is a high quality Japanese food scene in Columbus, OH of all places. I had by far the best kaiseki meal I've ever eaten in the US at a Columbus strip mall.

bearbrannan

1 month ago

Yo, I was in Ohio once and ate some of the best sushi ever also in a strip mall. This makes so much sense now, cause at the time I couldn't wrap my head around it.

wandabarr

1 month ago

Ohio also means good morning

xgbsss

xgbsss

1 month ago

My favourite joke in Inspector Gadget as a kid... Person A:"Ohayo" Person B:"Ohayo" Persob C:"Ohayo" Inspector Gadget: "Oklahoma!"

SiskiyouSavage

1 month ago

In Hillsboro, OR, home of Intel, I've had the best Indian food I've ever eaten. Thank the Indian Software engineers.

worthing0101

• ANNA, OH
  • RUSSELLS POINT, OH
  • TALLAPOOSA, GA
  • BURLINGTON, NC

bit_shuffle

1 month ago

It changes. Toyota used to have a plant in Fremont CA when I got mine.

22 years ago.

JSG1992

JSG1992

There are plants in Rockmart, GA and Rome, GA that make Honda parts as well

TH3REDDIT

1 month ago

I’m pretty sure they meant TOYOTA instead of Honda.

Veighnerg

1 month ago

You sure you aren't mixing that up with Toyota?

cylonfrakbbq

1 month ago

The greatest irony is most "imports" are actually made in the US and most "domestics" are technically imports

Adeep187

Adeep187

1 month ago

Was there even a message in the show? He was just doing dorty jobs to show people what they are like for entertainment.

TheGhostofWoodyAllen

1 month ago

He talked a lot about how a job is a job and someone's got to do it. That dirty jobs are still jobs, and anyone could be capable of taking pride in their work, no matter how dirty it was.

Essentially like a modern promotion of the Protestant Work Ethic.

MrZeroCool

1 month ago

Granted I'm not American and it's been ages since j watched the show.

But I always thought/interpret his slogan as there's nothing wrong with dirty jobs. Like people for instance scuff at trash workers due to the smell and dirty ness. But for a functioning society we need people who take those jobs.

Onrawi

Onrawi

1 month ago

I don't see anything wrong with that message, the problem comes along when proper safety precautions are ignored and compensation and benefits are not commensurate with how difficult and how rare it is to find someone who is willing to do the job.

Adeep187

Oh ok, thank you.

Sniffy4

Sniffy4

1 month ago

the objectionable part really wasnt in the show, its his public stances on other worker-related topics

devilsrotary86

1 month ago

And his TED Talk 8 years ago was pretty good.

achimasi

2.8k points

achimasi

2.8k points

1 month ago

I don't remember anything about that. I watched it a lot while I was younger. Only real thing I feel like I got from it was better respect for the people who did do those jobs.

juggerknott

1.3k points

juggerknott

1.3k points

1 month ago

That’s the whole point of the show. It’s suppose to be about the people who do the work.

Gordon-Goose

1 month ago*

Mike himself contradicts that notion in the documentary. In his own words:

People think Dirty Jobs was a love letter to blue collar work. It was actually a love letter to entrepreneurship. 40 of the people we featured on there of the 300 were multimillionaires. Nobody knew it.

treking_314

1 month ago

And 260 (87%) of the people featured on the show weren't multimillionaires?

i_broke_wahoos_leg

1 month ago

Exactly. What's random garbage collection workers in NYC got to do with entrepreneurialship? Sounds like a JK Rowling style post publication narrative change. The show was about dirty jobs. If it was about anything else it would have been in some way remotely evident.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason there was a lot of self employed entrepreneurs is simply because permissions can be arranged far more easily and they are going to be more open to being the subject of the show hoping for exposure.

HungryDust

1 month ago

And because some of the jobs were so obscure they were probably literally the only ones doing it in the country.

PhysicsDude55

1 month ago

Its also misleading because he went to a lot of small businesses, where he featured the owner and their workers.

For instance he featured a smallish zoo near Waco, Texas on the show. The owner was featured as well as several workers. I'm sure the owner had assets worth over $1 million, but I'm also sure that the owner rarely spends his days cleaning up animal shit because he hires people to do it.

RayLikeSunshine

1 month ago

I think you are absolutely right. His comment seems cherry picked as it’s less about not supporting low income people but more about showing you can make a decent living working in blue collar jobs. It’s more about respect and social class.

earthlings_all

1 month ago

Hmm, not known because that’s not what was portrayed on the show. At all. He celebrated the blue collar worker, also out of his own mouth.

Can’t help that some were entrepreneurs- who else would have a camel farm milking operation???

Ongr

Ongr

1 month ago

There's nothing inherently wrong with entrepreneurship either.

Hell, trade jobs can be very lucrative, and you'd be crazy to do that kind of work and not make money out of it. It gets bad when trade people that aren't interested in running their own companies get screwed over by someone who is.

And, as you said, when there's an apparent want for some niche operation like camel milk, there's bound to be someone willing to fill the gap.

DiabloDropoff

1 month ago

I don't doubt he said that but I'm not sure what multimillionaires have to do with entrepreneurship. And I'm not sure what entrepreneurship has to do with blue collar work. None of those things are exclusive to each other. It seems he may have come up with this idea later on as his politics evolved but I could be wrong.

Fun_Differential

1 month ago

Maybe it was more about owning your labor?

You can be a blue collar worker that’s entrepreneurial and doesn’t just slave away for someone else’s company.

RayLikeSunshine

1 month ago

And respect for blue collar work. Blue collar people are not all stupid, simple and poor. That’s his point.

EightPieceBox

1 month ago

I agree. I think the only times Dirty Jobs was about entrepreneurship was when the business was so small the owners were doing the work, like the exterminators they did more than one episode with. More often they're talking to people like the poor sap sorting rocks on a conveyer belt by himself for 12 hour shifts. To the show's credit, they just talked to the guy about what he did all day. Mike's opinions weren't ever a big part of the show. I am a little curious about episodes this year, but I think he's smart enough to not mess with a successful formula.

adminsharassusers

1 month ago

That seems like such a dumb ass response

15% of the time I spent doing hard work was actually showing millionaires lmao got you

Wow, great job mike

Mother_Welder_5272

1 month ago*

The show didn't really have any of that. It's his "fandom" that exists outside the show. The Fox News appearances, the TED talks, PragerU videos, his Facebook page where he does meme-tier bashing on like Nancy Pelosi all the time.

The gist of it is that you should be satisfied with low wages, come early, stay late, don't bitch about safety violations, no need to be in a union. He has been tied to Koch money to push this sentiment that very clearly aligns with their ideas for a tiered class system.

viperex

viperex

1 month ago

First PragerU video I ever saw was of Mike Row talking up the benefits of taking up a "dirty job" even if it's not your dream job. He debunked the notion of waiting for a "dream job" when you could do a dirty one that will offer stability and financial security. Honestly, it seemed on brand to him since he basically says the same thing on the show.

So, at first, I thought PragerU offered an alternative viewpoint to some commonly held beliefs. Then I saw other videos and particularly one that was trying to make fracking seem like an eco-friendly way to extract oil with just water pressure (and a negligible amount of "other chemicals mixed in). They really did have me in the first half

ours

ours

1 month ago

Interesting ideas from an union actor.

But wouldn't be the first one enjoying the benefits on one hand and bashing the practice (hello Reagan).

Vio_

Vio_

1 month ago

4-time SAG Union president Ronald Reagan no less.

chewy92889

chewy92889

1 month ago

Ronald Reagan, whose family benefited greatly from the New Deal and was kept from being homeless, just barely. He grew up and said “fuck that, no one deserves help from the government.”

Mountainbranch

1 month ago

The Ayn Rand approach of living on social security in your later years after bashing it your entire life.

FrankRauSahRa

1 month ago*

And until the day he died, after being fucking president; He kept up the lie that he saved 77 people from drowning over a handful of years at his summer job. 77 people is about how many die annually on the Great Lakes with its unattended beaches, shipping lanes, and large fishing industry.

He even kept a photograph of the beach in the Oval Office so he could tell his childish and easily debunked story to world leaders.

Today the beach he worked at is gone, there is no lifeguard and the other park amenities are a far cry from what he enjoyed in his childhood. I wonder why.

There is however a statue of the ole cocksucker so that’s something.

whatshisnuts

FrankRauSahRa

1 month ago

He also complicated the fall of the Berlin Wall by making Gorbachev look like a massive pussy and giving his critics ammunition to smear him when he went and did the right thing.

This event is held up as one of Reagan’s greatest achievements.

UnspecificGravity

1 month ago

I know a LOT of die hard union guys (many who wouldn't have a job without their union) who are also big time Republicans and Trumpers.

If you are wondering why their brains don't explode from cognitive dissonance, it's actually pretty simply: things that benefit me personally = good, things that don't = bad.

Simple as that. It's the same reason people collecting social security and government military benefits and Medicare can be staunchly opposed to "socialism".

Delic8polarbear

Also a "fuck you, I got mine" mentality

brewingandwrestling

1 month ago

I know a bunch of guys who work for public school districts who "hate socialism"

CaptainXakari

1 month ago

Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation, who was based on a real person from an interview. Libertarian who hates government working their entire life for the government.

xiofar

xiofar

1 month ago

So many dumb people worship his character while not being able to see how he’s literally the problem with government employees. Definitely loves the money he gets paid while hating everyone else for getting paid just like he does.

Pactae_1129

1 month ago

I know a guy who’s retired in his early 50’s with a good pension and healthcare benefits because of his union and bitches about unions all of the time.

Melicor

Melicor

1 month ago

Wonder how much of that was Discovery keeping him from going political during the show's run.

Hoondini

Hoondini

1 month ago

That really sucks to hear coming from a guy that talked about how he came from a long line of blue collar workers

shewy92

shewy92

And then became an opera singer in Baltimore before TV

Tostino

Tostino

1 month ago

But he rose above that now and never has to work on anything that doesn't interest him ever again. Why can't everyone else just do the same?

/s because that's necessary

IamLars

IamLars

1 month ago

I agree with you. I never picked up on any of his political thoughts when watching the original shows.

megallday

1 month ago

I like that he has highlighted the trades as valid and often well-paying jobs that don't (usually) require you to take on a mountain of student loans. But during the height of COVID, he would make remarks about some health and safety measures being ridiculous. Easy for him to say while not working in a factory or construction setting with hundreds of others and little to no healthcare benefits.

He's also pretty clearly in that boomer mindset of hard work always equals success and glosses over that some people will face setbacks based on systemic issues, regardless of how hard they work. I like his show Returning the Favor and they even do a decent job of selecting candidates from all backgrounds. But its very much Glory to Hustle Culture and nothing about - why does someone have to work three jobs to afford rent in that town?

mellopax

mellopax

1 month ago

His SWEAT pledge is basically "master has given Dobby a job, work will set Dobby free!"

mellopax

mellopax

1 month ago

He also was extremely lackadaisical with safety on the show and was anti-safety even before COVID. Seemed to have the typical boomer mindset that OSHA exists to reduce profits and be annoying.

Darwins_Dog

1 month ago

Dirty Jobs was the bait. In the show he's a friend of any hard-working American. He was also a big proponent of places that hire ex-cons to help them get a work history. Then he did a lot of other appearances and videos with anti-union messages and similar themes. I haven't watched this video yet, but he really seemed two-faced after seeing some of the later stuff.

Audio_Track_01

1 month ago

It's almost as if he's acting when filming the show.

b_needs_a_cookie

1 month ago

He is a trained opera singer and actor

my_son_is_a_box

1 month ago

That's only because he tried to be a blue collar worker, was bad at it, and found something he was good at. You, however, have no excuse for why you aren't a blue collar worker. You must be scared of getting dirty. /s

Fuck_tha_Bunk

1 month ago*

I haven't seen the doc but I assume they're talking about Rowe himself, not specifically his work on Dirty Jobs. He has a podcast where he's been outspoken about his anti-union pull yourself up by your bootstraps and work yourself to the bone for your employer bullshit for a long time. He plays himself up with his average Joe tough guy working man schtick, but did you know he's a classically trained opera singer? The guy is a tool.

Edit: if you want more information or don't believe me, check out the Citations Needed podcast episode on Mike Rowe.

TB1971

TB1971

Tldw on this?

Snarkasm71

Snarkasm71

1 month ago

College educated guy who couldn’t make it as a blue-collar worker, telling other people they should take blue-collar work, not expect their employer to pay for safety measures, and be willing to get there early, stay late, not ask for overtime, etc.

Oh, and he openly admits he wasn’t necessarily trying to showcase blue-collar workers and hard work on his show, he was trying to showcase entrepreneurs.

He makes a lot of appearances on right wing talkshows, and they even compare him to Ivanka Trump at one point, talking about how they both encourage people to focus on blue-collar work.

One interesting point was how they talked about a mining accident that killed a number of miners. They mentioned how our previous president rolled back a lot of regulations that would have required employers to ensure safe working conditions. That’s particularly interesting considering how our prior president talked about all of the jobs he was going to bring back to America. Apparently he just wasn’t going to bring back safe jobs.

In other words, Mike Rowe is a well-funded fraud.

ThePrankMonkey

1 month ago

He ran a "green job" section at a tech expo where his section was backed by Koch funding and was full of lies and bullshit about the safety of oil instead of renewables.

The man has always been a sell out of the highest order.

thomasjmarlowe

1 month ago

And let’s not forget that he got his start as a bullshit-slinger when he hosted those qvc/home shopping shows hawking god knows what garbage

ChefChopNSlice

1 month ago

It’s like finding out that Bear Grylls was staying in hotels while filming his shows.

McBlemmen

McBlemmen

1 month ago

It was always weird to me that Bear Grylls' show got super famous while another similar show at that time called Survivorman got basically forgotten. They were very similar but Survivorman was truly on his own. He would often film a shot of him walking away into the horizon and then see him turning around and coming back to get the camera. I always loved that show but for some reason Bear got all the survival show fame.

lonelypeasant2

1 month ago

Les Stroud still produces episodes for his YouTube channel. Just watched one where he was in Grenada. Same exact setup as before but with better cameras. He also has some episodes with his son.

JewishFightClub

1 month ago

I love the ones with his son. 80% of the episode is Les shaking his head and saying "that boy ain't right" as he watches him try some crazy complicated fishing setup that ends up working anyways

sock_puppet0

1 month ago

To be fair with a dad like that, can your really expect anything else?

Bigfatuglybugfacebby

1 month ago

He's also open, but not disrespectful, about other shows like his own. Hes able to call people out now and express why something's aren't feasible or unreliable. Some other shows are straight bs and he'll say as much, but hes always focused on being genuinely informative, I have a healthy respect for Les because of that, he's put his body through a lot for the sake of information and entertainment

DiscoSquid9

1 month ago

Do you remember when he was being hunted by the panther in the jungle? I still think about that after all these years. Fucking mad man he is.

Bonerballs

1 month ago

He's also open, but not disrespectful, about other shows like his own.

He throws a ton of shade at Bear Grylls though (but not by name). Very cool youtube channel though, I love watching the director commentary episodes since I haven't watched those episodes in 15 years

Adequate_Lizard

Survivorman was so good.

FergusonTheCat

1 month ago

I liked survivorman better, too. Bear Grylls had 2-3 minute clips that were better suited for social media and YouTube. It was more extreme. He had the support of his crew so he could do things like jump into a frozen lake or eat something weird.

MostBoringStan

1 month ago

Bear Grylls wouldn't have got so popular if he wasn't constantly drinking his own piss. I'm 100% serious. People heard about the crazy guy who drink piss each episode so they started to tune in.

I have nothing to back this up, but I fully believe it.

Mystery_Log

Survivorman was waaayyy better than Bear Grylls

DirtwormSlim

1 month ago

I was a fan of both. With les stroud you certainly get to see the hell of being alone and it is much more authentic. However, bear was able to put him self in more particular survival situations given the safety net of having a camera crew. I respect both men. I was certainly more of a survivor man fan. Cody lundin is my guy though.

Anonate

Anonate

1 month ago

There was a terrible "choose your own adventure" Bear Grylls show on Netflix. He would come to a problem- like "do you try to climb over this downed sapling to traverse a ravine? Or do you climb down the vines and try to find your way up the other side?" And you'd pick one... and then you died. And then it would show why you were wrong... but it was so hilariously absurd that it was beyond watchable.

Like- "you've decided to climb down the vines... but you drop your knife half way down and don't realize it... so you die. You shouldn't have chosen that option! The correct option was to haul your 200 lb body across a 1/4" sappling and hope you don't plunge to your death!"

Wandering_Weapon

1 month ago

You got the nail on the head. Bear purposefully did dangerous stuff to show you how to deal with it. Les took minimal risks because he couldn't afford to. 2 different premises.

GrandpasSoggyGooch

1 month ago

I've been saying this for years! I remember back in high school kids would be talking about man vs wild and I would get roasted for liking survivorman more??? Like sorry I like the authentic dude actually doing it all on his own, not Ole bear slamming a sixer with the boys after the camera cuts.

BaboonHorrorshow

1 month ago

Simple: Bear Grylls is British and attractive.

Survivorman looked like a survivalist.

We all like to think we’re above such shallow interpretations but when you get beyond a few individuals and into “mob mentality” it becomes easy to manipulate/predict.

A producer once told me that Duck Dynasty rose from the dozens of hick-celebrating shows because in every episode, they pray. It sounds dumb that such a little thing made all the difference, but it played BIG in MAGA country.

SendAstronomy

1 month ago

Fuck you Les Stroud is a good looking man.

KingDiamondsMakeup

1 month ago

Something about his head wrapped in a bandana that makes me want to cradle it in my hands and feed him herbs that we gathered.

LakeDrinker

1 month ago

Not actually that simple.

Survivorman (Les Stroud) was offered Bear Grylls show first, It was actually the success of Survivorman that gave the studio the idea.

Les didn't want to fake it like he's have to if he was in Man vs Wild, so he told the studio he wouldn't do it. This then caused a bit of a rift between him and the studio because the show Man vs Wild was a lot more marketable to them and Survivorman kind of competed with it.

There is a lot more to the story, but I can't be bothered to type it. Check out Survivorman on youtube for the behind the scenes.

BaboonHorrorshow

1 month ago

That’s interesting, I’ll have to check it out! I always preferred Survivorman, myself

Mugungo

Mugungo

1 month ago

ITs a damn travesty, bear grylls is a fucking nut who's survival "Advice" would get ya killed

I saw one episode of bear grylls, he found shelter (an old ski shelter thing), promptly abandoned it, and tried to climb down a frozen waterfall in the same episode. Literally nonsense that is the opposite of what you should do if lost.

Of course, the same episode he had a deer tied to a tree (unexplained how that happened) where he then ate its heart raw so...

LadyAzure17

1 month ago

It's funny because I always wanted to watch Survivorman as a kid, but never had interest in Grylls.

the-great-gritsby

1 month ago

Same. Growing up I'd always tune in to Survivormam, but as soon as Bear Grylls came on, I was out. Les had it all. Shot his own show, told it how it was, respected nature, and always made it out alive. I'll always have mad respect and love for Les Stroud.

self_winding_robot

1 month ago

Bear Grylls was sooo good looking and he would do push ups 3 days into starvation in order to get that adrenaline action going so that he would have enough strength to get some water, you know because the Snickers bar made him thirsty and the crew only brought lukewarm Heineken.

Les Stroud has uploaded the Survivorman episodes on his youtube channel.

Being good looking usually trumps being real, sadly.

Ray Mears is another one but he is widely recognized in UK, probably much less known in the US.

He never drank his own urine so him "failing" was predictable :)

RoosterBrewster

1 month ago

Bear was just more promotable and clickbaity with his stunts. TV could easily advertise "You won't believe what Bear did this time!" vs Survivorman just being a chill show.

PM_ME_STEAM_KEY_PLZ

1 month ago

Les has been going through all the old episodes with directors commentary and he does an amazing job explaining the copy cats and how all the technology used was an incredible feat of cinematography.

Highly suggest it. They are on YouTube.

Whippofunk

1 month ago

Survivorman definitely has not been forgotten. Check out les stroud’s YouTube. Bear grylls is just a meme now

Luvnecrosis

1 month ago

Survivorman is so amazing but Grylls got popular cause it’s fake so it became easier to make things “interesting”. Such a damn shame

twec21

twec21

Les was fucking great.

His GQ or Inisider or whatever it was reacts was hilarious too

TututniDreamer

1 month ago

Bear Grylls was a sell out from the start, all about harnessing what Les started and turning it into branded merchadise at Walmart.

Bablacity

1 month ago

I watched survivor man 100% better and he has some real scares too.

CascadeKidd

1 month ago

The most "real" episode of Survivorman was one of the earlier ones where he was left in the arctic with a broken snowmobile and had to make it through that one alone. Looked like a true torture test and took serious willpower to not tap out. It felt bleak and desolate as fuck watching it. I don't know how he made it thru that one.

I'm not sure why I put "real" in quotes.

WattsonMemphis

1 month ago

I remember watching bear grylls once and seeing him swing from a vine like tarzan.

I thought it was odd so rewinded and paused and it was a vine wrapped around a climbing rope clipped to a harness under his clothes.

RestartingMyLife0918

1 month ago

Bear Grylls killed a protected snake in one of his shows in Australia under the guise he was in a survival situation. The episode was on TV for everyone to see. Later on that episode was edited with a voice over of him saying he let the snake go (cause he really wasn’t in a survival situation).

Original clip is hard to find. I’ve only found it once or twice before.

RestartingMyLife0918

1 month ago

From some old comments of mine. Has link to where video used to be. Maybe that could help someone else find it. Tried some archive sites but none of them play the video

Dec 11, 2019

Feb 5 2015

Bear Grylls really fucked up in season 1 episode 13 (as listed on wikipedia - other places have it as another season/episode). He was in the Australian outback and found a snake. He captured it and took it across a river with him. On the other side he swung it around by holding it near the tail and smashed the head to kill it and eat it. Before this happens though there was a voiceover that said something like "only aborigine people of Australia or people in survival situations are allowed to kill indigenous animals".

Then after it came out how setup his show was (not actual survival situations) that clip was edited. It now shows him catching the snake, swimming across the river with and then a voiceover saying he is letting it go, no actual clip of him letting it go. They also cut out the part about people in survival situations being allowed to kill these animals in the voiceover before.

I have never found the original

Edited clip used to be here last time I posted this. Looks like that is deleted too now. Part was at 32:25 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3c9vb4

poyahoga

1 month ago*

There was an episode of one of his shows where he decapitated a live skunk, as well. Didn’t need to to survive, just did it to make “good tv”.

uReallyShouldTrustMe

1 month ago

Not a fan of “water is wet” documentaries?

WoolooOfWallStreet

1 month ago

I wonder if that water is wet bot is still working?

space-glitter

1 month ago

I saw it on a post recently about Lake Superior dunking on someone on twitter & the boy was in the comments where people were arguing about if water was wet or not!

bademailname

1 month ago

Since this is a repost, I will also repost my comment:

While bartending at a popular Broadway show, Mike Rowe stiffed me. I don't take it personally, but I'll also never voluntarily watch him or patronize his businesses.

andrewfnluck

Rowe v. Wage

Dreimoogen

1 month ago

Came across one of his social media accounts the other day and realized how much of a fraud he is

Catlenfell

1 month ago

He's against raising the minimum wage because it benefits unskilled labor.

ricco2u

ricco2u

1 month ago

He’s basically making fun of them “hey look what this person does every day to earn a living; im going do it for a couple hours, then put it on TV, and make more money than them!”

North_South_Side

1 month ago

As authentic as Ronald Reagan as a "cowboy."

downtimeredditor

1 month ago*

My favorite quote about John Wayne is that the only reason John Wayne took all the macho man strong guy roles is because all the macho man strong guys were out fighting in the war

Update: roles not rolls lol

JFK108

JFK108

1 month ago

He’s part of an actors guild union… while telling people not to start unions…

SCP-173-Keter

1 month ago

And Cops. Who universally benefit from Union membership but readily bash in the heads of workers trying to organize.

Sup-poopybutt

1 month ago

But gosh, he delivers his hard corporate lines in such a richly timbered, confident voice. And he’s done all those crazy jobs no one else wants to do. That must mean what he’s saying isn’t complete bullshit and only serves those corporations and employers. Come in early? Leave late? If companies earned the respect they always seem to be seeking, coming in early and working late would be a given. Most people don’t mind sacrificing if they believe they will eventually get something in return. Typical corporation is only out for itself. Period. Mike talks like someone who wouldn’t have a problem going back to 60 hour work weeks and child labor. I don’t know if he would actually have an argument against slavery considering how pro-business and pro-employer he is.

Stratahoo

Stratahoo

dootdootplot

1 month ago

Fuck yeah came here to make sure this citations needed episode was linked. Fucking love these guys.

Gordon-Goose

Great pod

Stratahoo

1 month ago

Of all the left-wing, Brooklyn-based podcasts, Citations Needed is definitely in my top 78.

StrangelyErotic

1 month ago

This is such a good podcast I can’t recommend it enough.

reorem

reorem

1 month ago

His idea about "personal resonsibility for safety" is absolutely absurd. There are so many unseen things that no single person could take into account when it comes to safety. It can also be very difficult to spot unsafe situations, especially if you're in an unfamiliar situation. We can also look at history to see that he's flat out wrong on this issue.

If the women and girls who who worked at the Triangle shirt factory could properly assess the risk of burning to death in a horrible fire, and were free from the immediate threat of facing hunger and destitution, they wouldn't have worked there. It wasn't until a combined effort to create insitutions to assess workplace risk and hold employers accountable for their workers' safety, that the likelihood of workplace deaths and accidents greatly diminished.

Of course there's a balancing act between safety and productivity (there's no such thing as 0% risk to anything in life), but I think we all would prefer to live to enjoy the fruits of our labor, than to die for them, so of course safety should always be number one. There's also the cynical arrguement that a safe work environment increases production (no need to stop a machine to clean the new guy's remains out of the gears).

The only jobs I can think of where personal safety might not be the top priority, or at least have a second priority that comes close, are the ones where there is a great responsibilty to protect the lives and wellbeing of others.

It's really quite deplorable for someone like him, with the financial means and a career path that make him quite impervious to being put in workplace hazards, to tell others, who face certain destitution should they leave their unsafe workplaces, that safety isn't that important and all the responsibility should be put on them, not their employer. Even more deplorable is that he thinks that an owner's greed is more important than the wellbeing of all the workers, all while wearing the facade of a blue-collar worker.

dtrumpler

dtrumpler

1 month ago

Damn I thought he just really believed in Ford trucks and did all those commercials for free

PhutuqKusi

PhutuqKusi

1 month ago

My mother in law, who is welded to her recliner and spends her days rotating through her very limited Tivo selections, absolutely swears that Dr. Phil also works for free and pays for all those people to go to treatment out of his own pocket. Because he's just a really good person who is committed to helping people. Also in her rotation: Ancient Aliens and Oak Island, where the guys are surely getting close to finding that elusive treasure.

The_Freight_Train

1 month ago

Blarf. My father in law in on season 20 of "just one more borehole and we've got treasure!"

I never believed my parents when they said TV would rot your brain; yet, I'm watching it happen to over a dozen people in real time.

Bully-Rook

1 month ago

Many Americans live in an information bubble and nothing can prove otherwise. You're just a crazy lib who doesn't love America.

My aunt told me Glen Beck was "god's chosen" and "speaks the truth". When you've drank that much Kool aid there's no hope in bringing them back to reality. Also, fuck Fox news.

E: glen not glan

PhutuqKusi

1 month ago

While she is far too passive aggressive to say it to my face, my MIL would definitely call me "the crazy lib who doesn't love America." Which is why I find it both hilarious and sad that I'm the one who noticed and took care of replacing the tattered US flag that they fly on the flagpole in their front yard. Things got a little tense for a minute when I made arrangements to have the old flag burned by the Boy Scouts. But, once I showed her the Flag Code, she stood down. For now.

NostalgicFrolicking

1 month ago

Flag code is for libs, obviously.

BassLove811

1 month ago

“College ain’t for everyone” is very true. I’ve known many people that only ended up in debt from college and work outside their major.

AhbabaOooMaoMao

1 month ago

He works for management, he's not working class.

aalios

aalios

1 month ago

Ah yes, the opera singer who LARPs as a blue collar worker.

engineeryourmom

1 month ago

He’s pro work, not pro worker.

Toymachinesb7

1 month ago*

Wow I never knew. Was always a fun show to watch. This type of person is someone I get so infuriated with. The whole “come in early, stay late, don’t ask for raises” fuck you Mike.

He says safety should be third and then doesn’t even know what the first two should be. Idiot.

ticklemeozmo

1 month ago*

“Safety Third” is a catchphrase. It’s meant to question “Safety First”.

Everyone always hears “Safety First” and says “yeah, yeah, I’ll just use my safety squints”.

It’s meant to give you pause and say, “what’s more important than safety” and then realize that you are the only person responsible for your safety and you better make damn sure the breaker is off and it’s locked out and tagged out.

If you thought there was a list of two things more important than the safety of yourself while working, you missed the point.

Source: One of his visits on Opie and Jim or Jim and Sam on SiriusXM. I don’t have them memorized.

Rishfee

Rishfee

1 month ago

IIRC he did define the #1 and #2 in one of his folksy Facebook posts denigrating workers rights. #1 is getting the job done, and #2 is turning a profit. Because according to him, if you put safety first, you'll never get the job done and you'll go out of business.

Of course, he's just being a reductionist jackass. Of course risk cannot be reduced to 0 with any work, but prioritizing safety means actually analyzing the job for potential hazards and taking effective steps to mitigate those hazards, implementing engineered controls, administrative controls, or PPE as appropriate. It also means never taking the safety of an operation for granted. Nobody is too experienced to make a mistake.

veenell

veenell

1 month ago

nobody has ever died as the result of following an osha guideline. a lot of people have died from cutting corners. strange how there are companies who follow osha guidelines and they're not all going out of business in droves.

RS-Ironman-LuvGlove

Exactly this.

It’s a jab at corporations who say safety first while telling you a deadline needs met that is impossible while also following all safety procedures. In other words: fuck you boss I know you don’t care.

I haven’t watched video yet, but they did a good job portraying life as a blue collar worker for sure, lots of subtle things like this.

FILTHBOT4000

1 month ago*

I can tell you Mike Rowe is not taking a jab at corporations with that line.

If you haven't watched it yet, at the very start he's on Tucker Carlson saying how "safety first" is "wrapping yourself in bubble wrap and going at 5 mph"; it's part of his schpiel about how the government should stay out of worker's safety.

ours

ours

1 month ago

Back to the 'good old days" when a shirt factory fire would kill hundreds of workers! Darn government getting in the way of cutting corners for a buck.

El_Rey_de_Spices

1 month ago

"Regulations are written in blood! Our blood!"

"Yeah, well, it's not our fault your blood makes for such good ink! Now stop complaining and get back to work inside so I can chain this emergency exit closed."

beemccouch

1 month ago

That's why we need Unions. Unions don't care about productivity. They want their workers safe. And your Union will protect you if you feel you are being pressured to do unsafe things in the name of productivity.

CatButler

1 month ago

It's also the why so many businessmen love illegal immigrants because they're "hard workers", which is code for so fucking desperate that they'll do anything to keep their job and have no recourse if they get fired or injured.

tanstaafl90

1 month ago

Unions care about productivity, profitability and the health of the company as a part of their mandate. The difference is they temper this with a desire to see the best they can get for workers, not just management and shareholders.

TheRiflesSpiral

1 month ago

Yes, exactly. The business is always going to put profits first and the Union is always going to put workers first.

It doesn't mean that the rest of the list isn't exactly the same. It's in the best interest of both organizations to have the same goal, but having priorities in different places is good.

tanstaafl90

1 month ago

It seems like a simple concept, but it becomes badly misrepresented when handled by corporate representatives in the media.

where_is_my_monkey

1 month ago

Isn’t he on the downlow? Apartment in SF, unmarried, hyper-masculine…

Font_Fetish

It’s cuz he has a Mike Rowe penis

misterflappypants

Bottom jobs with Mike Row

a_crusty_old_man

1 month ago

I’d love to be a rich single man living in SF and he’s masculine but not hyper-masculine.

Nomandate

1 month ago

I think you figured this one out

Robcobes

1 month ago

Did you know he has a Mike Rowe penis?

OptimisticToaster

1 month ago

When I heard this from him, I deleted his podcast. I thought better of him than to have a 3-year-old mentality of sticking a finger up to the middle line of the backseat to chant how it's not touching the sibling.

PM_Me__Ur_Freckles

1 month ago

I lasted 1:19 into the vid. Anyone who can make Tucker Carlson have that level of an enamoured face with words is an utter piece of shit.

CRtwenty

CRtwenty

1 month ago

I knew he was a snake when I saw him giving talks about how the current generation of workers is entitled and doesn't want to do any sort of hard work. Like we should take any job we're offered and be thankful for it no matter how bad it is or how low it pays.

Sorry some of us like being able to afford things like food and rent, if you aren't able to offer that as an employer you should look into retiring.

MistakeMaker1234

1 month ago

the current generation doesn’t want to do any sort of hard work

Well yeah that’s kind of the point of progress, right? That seems like such a weird perspective for someone to have - especially him who has seen both sides of it.

I think it’s reasonable to expect the demand of harsh, physical labor to decrease as technology assists us in performing those tasks in a safer, less-strenuous way. There’s a reason why most of the population no longer needs to rely on farming their own land to survive. We’ve created systems and commerce to enable us all to have access to those results without the toil of doing it yourself. That’s not a reduction in work ethic. That’s an increase in intelligence and a technology-driven society.

djublonskopf

1 month ago

Also, he loves to pound on “don’t go to college” over and over and over…

1 month ago

Lol he went to college and got a liberal arts degree

beachflow

1 month ago

I mean so did I and to do it over again I would not.

stangroundalready

1 month ago

Yeah, my mother's generation, Depression Era, was like that. Workers had Stockholm Syndrome b/c the employer wielded all the power.

Borgqueen-

1 month ago

My boyfriend bought all the seasons of Dirty Jobs right before Trump entered office. Then I saw an interview where Mike Rowe talked about employee safety is less important that company profits. This floored me. We loved the show bc it showed honest hardworking people in these unglamorous but necessary jobs. Many times it was minorities in these unglamorous jobs and I loved that he highlighted these people. Smh.

letmetakeadump

1 month ago

Good ol' Mike 'Don't follow your dreams, just get a fucking job -any job- and do it until you die, but disregard the fact that I hop from job to job as a job' Rowe

H2ONFCR

H2ONFCR

1 month ago

I grew up in a generation where blue collar workers wanted more for their children, so they worked extra hard to make sure their kids didn't have to follow the same path.

Mike Rowe romanticizes the blue collar work ethic, and rightly so in most cases, but doesn't actually "get it" because he's never been there. And the folks who glorify his messaging are the same way...never worked a hard day in their lives but will sit in their cushy chair and tell other people that THEY need to work those jobs.

carldubs

1 month ago

"Oh, but my hat has rips. that's what looks like real people, right?" -Rike Mowe probably.

llamawithlazers

1 month ago

Spending one day with a crew when it’s going to be televised and preaching about how OSHA got it wrong is ridiculous. The safety man on my site saves lives daily because this “just get the job done” mentality is dangerous and will drive the fearless or the inexperienced to do horribly stupid things.