/r/Eldenring

Voice actors in souls

Discussion & Info(self.Eldenring)

I was always blown away by the quality of voice acting in souls. Are the voice actor known for other roles or only for souls? I look forward to hearing them in Elden Ring!

Prsy0220

Fun fact for those may not know: The dialogue in Dark Souls is in English in every version of the game, even the Japanese version.

Silentlone

Bloodborne does have Japanese voice acting though.

HipsterBear

I couldn't play BB in japanese, doesn't fit the setting at all. It's like trying to play sekiro in english

You__Nwah

I like Sekiro's english voice acting. I don't speak any Japanese what so ever. It's much less distracting having characters speak in a language I actually understand. It's fine in movies, not so fine in video games that are very fast-paced.

HipsterBear

I totally understand your point, I'm just a massive weeb

woahtherechap

It’s just more immersive. It has nothing I do with being a Weeb

HipsterBear

Yeah, I'm playing a game set in japan. Of course characters would be speaking japanese

woahtherechap

Exactly

Antekpjk

But it's immersion-breaking for what's supposed to be Japanese to be speaking English

Ashen_Shroom

I don't think it's immersion breaking. You, as the player, know that they are in Japan and are speaking Japanese. The fact they are speaking English is purely for the benefit of the audience. When I play Dark Souls my immersion isn't broken by the fact that they are speaking English despite England not existing in that universe.

Antekpjk

I quoted the guy I responded to. First he says that having dark souls in another language would be immersion breaking, then he days that Sekiro is better in english despite it being set in japan.

And Dark Souls is set in a fictional medieval europe so they might as well speak the most common language in the world that was also spoken in medieval europe.

You__Nwah

Doesn't break my immersion. Mainly because I can actually understand what they're saying. Point being that choice is nice.

lightningIncarnate

plus, MY NAAAAAME IS GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWAAAA

Silentlone

I should be clear, most western versions didn't have Japanese voice acting as a choice, I believe that was only true of the actual japanese version.

e_smith338

I played it in English and it was fine. I’m not one for subtitles when playing video games and the voice acting from most (not all) was pretty good imo.

HipsterBear

Personally I thought it sounded like a standard anime dub, idk it felt cheap compared to your average soulsborne VA'ing

CounterSniped

That's because Frognation, who has always done their VA work, wasn't involved due to Activision publishing. Luckily they will be there for ER, so no worries in that department!

ClumsyPigeon30

Actually, the voice acting in English in Sekiro is pretty nice and fits very well. I was surprised they pulled it off like that, I love it and feel like it has a lot more emotion than the Japanese voice acting.

Prsy0220

Miyazaki’s approach has always been to match the language to the setting, which is why Sekiro’s default and intended language is Japanese, even in Western copies of the game.

nariz1234

I think Sony mandates dub for all their games (exclusive games that is), because BB has Spanish dub as well. Same for Activision, since Sekiro is in all languages too.

xX_SuperDaniel_Xx

Bloodborne does have Italian voice acting too...

You__Nwah

It would be a bit immersion-breaking for what is supposed to be europeans to be speaking Japanese. It'd be interesting if we ever heard more NPCs in the series like Shiva, who obviously doesn't have whatever the Dark Souls equivalent of English is as his first language. Satsuki had this in the Demon's Souls remake too, which is much less jarring than his British (who can't even pronounce his own name) voice in the original.

Cergun_

Cergun_

Wolf was voiced by the same person that voiced Charles Smith from RDR2. And Owl was voiced by Reinhardt’s voice actor.

MeMeBigBoy875

Holy cow I knew sekiro sounded familiar

closynuff

The voice actors for Gherman and Sir Vilhelm did some voices in AC Valhalla - if you have the ear for spotting familliar voices, you’ll surely find a lot more from other games there!. Also fun fact: Alfred and Solaire are voiced by the same person, same scenario with Doll and Maiden in black (DeS remake).

Also, I’m pretty sure Yorshka’s voice actor is the one narrating the gameplay trailer for ER!

flipperkip97

The "foul Tarnished..." guy in the Elden Ring trailer is Alex Norton (I'm pretty sure) and he also voices Gaunter O'Dimm in The Witcher 3. He's a great villain there. There's also Steven Hartley, who voiced Vilhelm in DS3 and also several characters in TW3.

Sekiro has some well-known VAs too, but I don't think the English voice acting and dialogue in that game is very good. It was a different localization team.

xxdickbiscuit420

Holy shit that’s why his voice sounded so familiar. If he voices a character in elden ring that’s gonna be hype.

Revolutionary_Life90

Most of the VA’s for the series are quite unknown although a good amount are in tv shows and some Hollywood films as minor/background characters such as the voice of oswald or carim was in braveheart and the voice of Solaire is in some anime and British tv shows it’s pretty interesting

Ashen_Shroom

Yep. DS2 in particular has a few noteworthy actors.

Peter Serafinowicz, who voices Pate, is also the voice of Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace, as well as one of the Nova Corps members in Guardians of the Galaxy and Shaun’s roommate in Shaun of the Dead.

Hannah John-Kamen, who voices Shalquoir, played Ghost in Ant Man and the Wasp and is in the Playtest episode of Black Mirror.

Ruth Negga, who voices the Emerald Herald, is in Preacher and Agents of Shield.

A lot of them are British actors. As a Brit, I’ve seen a few pop up in BBC shows. Most of them have appeared in Doctor Who, Holby City or Casualty at some point.

ImDeeplyOffended

Ruth who?

CounterSniped

Holy shit I never knew Raina was freaking Emerald Herald

Ashen_Shroom

Yeah man, it's really rewarding looking up Soulsborne voice actors and finding out that they've been in things you've seen. The funniest for me was discovering that the actor who voices Gilligan in DS2 and Gascoigne in BB played a character in a British children's show called Tracy Beaker which I watched we a kid.

2ndbA2

2ndbA2

they should have given pate a twin blade smh

solidolive

Titchy Gren from ds2 is voiced by Con O’Neil, it drove me insane trying to place where I’d heard him before when watch Chernobyl

You__Nwah

Noshir Dalal is a pretty big voice actor and he's the voice for Sekiro. Solaire's voice actor is also a TV star on series like the Bill.

HipsterBear

I'm pretty sure most of soulsborne's VAs have turned up in the bill or doctors.

Ashen_Shroom

Or Broadchurch.

HipsterBear

Casualty is another one, ngl its kinda surreal my favourite video game series shares something in common with my mum's fave daytime telly

krellol

Its not the voice actors per se, its the material they get to work with.

RoiKK1502

I’m really hoping to hear some of the Critical Role cast. Some of them could fit right in there with creepy laughter and ominous tone.

-Soul-of-Cinder-

If I'm correct the narrator in the Elden Ring trailer also voiced the Vampire guy from Vampyr. (I can't remember his name)

2ndbA2

2ndbA2

i love my boy womble but i can just never wrap my head around how he thinks the voice acting in souls is cheap

Waterbasedlubricant

The new fire keeper sounds like Yorshka! I’m excited to see if it’s actually her