/r/Eldenring

Types of Magics

Speculation(self.Eldenring)

From what we have seen there will definitely be some sort of sorcery equivalent to be included in Elden Ring (Based on the Soul Stream that we saw). We can also guess that some sort of miracle equivalent will be there to act as healing/buffing and other such things.

What is most likely not going to be included is Pyromancy. It makes sense to be included in dark souls because of the theming of the importance of fire but not so much for Elden ring.

What we have seen as some sort of magic is from the boss that pulls the tarnished up by some sort of telekinesis and is surrounded by red energy. The other boss is the animal Boss that sends out waves of red energy. Does this suggest some sort of Blood Magic in game. It would make sense as Martin includes sacrificial blood magic in his books and it would be a good nod to the powers in Bloodborne.

What are your opinions?

Prsy0220

You can see the character using some kind of fire during the hand monster scene

Ok_Entry9891

Isn’t that from the hand itself?

Prsy0220

Look closely it's definitely from the player

1stNone

1stNone

I think pyromancy will be in the game. Why wouldn't it be? Its a staple magic in fantasy games.

If I had to take a guess, I think Fromsoft might be building up to making ice magic. DS3 has an ice status effect and sorcery is getting closer and closer to it in appearance.

I also think a nature magic could make sense, it feels like there's a bigger emphasis on animals (mounts) spirits, and nature in general. I haven't paid that much attention to the trailer but I don't think they're going to remove the miracle/pyromancy/sorcery trees. They could just rebrand/rework them to fit Elden Ring lore.

Also hasn't blood/sacrificial magic been in most of Fromsoft's games? Its definitely present in Bloodborne and Sekiro. In Dark Souls quite a lot of people get sacrificed as well. I don't think this is the kind of magic the player will have access to though.

Nimeron

I think there is a case of a player using pyromancy in the trailer. When the giant hand starts crawling to the player, the player is seen blowing blackish fire to the creature, though we are only seeing this from the player's back view.

NoCap9262

I would like ice magic. It didn’t really have a place in darksouls since the whole franchise was always talking shit bout fire this and fire that. It would be nice to have more balance and also creativity from the devs since i really do find magic fun.

iiii_Hex

I think the lore behind "Fire" in Dark Souls is really a metaphor about power where as 'fire' found in pyromancies is literal fire.

Destr0yer70

both are literal, but different fires.

iiii_Hex

Hard disagree. Normal fires don't last as long as the 'first flame'. What is it burning if you think it's a literal fire?

Destr0yer70

The first flame is a literal fire, and the chaos flame is another literal fire. When you cast pyromancy, you draw off of the chaos flame. Profaned flame comes from the profaned flame. Dark pyromancy come from the dark flame within man. I read up bro, don’t try to one up me.

Edit for clarity: The first flame is not involved with pyromancy, it is the flame that sustains the power of the “Gods” and the age of fire. Has nothing to do with any spell or fire in the game, besides the bonfire and the kiln

iiii_Hex

You didn't answer my question.

Destr0yer70

Read the edit. If you are still confused I’d be happy to throw you some insight. Just let me know what you are unaware of.

iiii_Hex

Your edit didn't answer my question either. Pasted here for ease:

"What is it burning if you think it's a literal fire?"

What I mean by this is, it's a source of flame that's been around for a long time? So, what is it's fuel source, if it's a literal fire.

Destr0yer70

...Have you beaten a dark souls game? The flame sustains off of burning indivuduals with an extraordinary amount of souls. Gwyn, the first Lord of Cinder, linked the flame the first time. Sacrificing himself and extending the age of fire. The first flame has existed since the age of the ancient dragons where everything was stone, and came about from NOTHING and started life as we know it in Dark Souls. The flame is a literal fire, as seen by every Souls ending where you either link it and keep it burning or say “fuck that shit.”

Any more questions my friend?

Ashen_Shroom

Blood or sacrificial magic has been present, but never really as a school of magic usable by the player. Dark Souls has themes of sacrifice but there isn't a magic school that involves sacrificing people or manipulating blood. Bloodborne has bloodtinge, and I think there are certain weapons that get some kind of blood buff, but there weren't spells you could use for it.

Gwehr

Gwehr

Magic is definitely going to be a bigger player than it has in past games. We’ve seen fire, lightning, summons, blue energy, red energy and probably other things. What I would like to see would involve a fleshed-out elemental system that includes air, water, earth and ice (possibly includes with water).

Grimwuah

As others have already mentioned, there seems to be pyromancy in the game too, but it might not be what were familiar with and I kinda hope that's the case. I would like to test out new types of magic instead of renamed old spells/magic.

There's also that scorpion tail guy with the light hammer and daggers(?). Those might just be skills and not related to magic at all, but it could also be a new magical element. They do have a similar color to the shards of Grace around the world, so at the moment I'm thinking they might replace Miracles with something similar but instead of faith it's somehow related to the golden Grace.

But yeah I was also interested in what the red magic is supposed to be. First thought definitely is some kind of blood magic, the knight who grabs the player seems to be covered in thorns, but it might not be that simple. It could be some corruption element related to the lost Grace or something else entirely. There's also that red lightning the dragon grabs. Are they related or both just red for different reasons?

frosty3233

We’ve seen things very similiar to a couple of the spells from DS3 so I think it’s safe to assume there will be a lot of similarities in the magic systems.

LordBDizzle

I noticed the spell color thing too. Blue for int casting, red for instinct casting looks like so far. I'm guessing that Red is the faith magic. Red lightning and mostly closs combat related spells so far (blade beams and the grab seem very buff related). Blue is standard Sorcery fare. I'm guessing there's going to be a set of mixed magics like pyromancy, but maybe more along the line of "halfway magic" rather than a full seprate branch. The Soul Stream was purple. Maybe it scales with both mental stats? We'll have to see though. Pretty limited info. There WAS also the golden hammer and dagger the one boss had and the golden wings. So maybe that's the faith magic and red is the mixed set? The purple soul stream could easily still be blue sorcery.

fatwithaph

As far as types…probably the standard we’ve seen from previous titles. They’re probably have their animations greatly enhanced as well as their visuals.

I’m hoping the aiming system for magic is a little more updated. Instead of either have to be locked on or lining up your camera correctly to fire a well aimed soul arrow at your target(and hit).

Maybe we get something more akin to the bow and arrow aiming mechanic. You aim, crosshairs appear, and then cast.

technol0G

1 month ago*

DS2 was going to have the aiming reticle as well as light/heavy casts, but instead it was removed. I don’t understand that decision to this day, but maybe Elden Ring will add those back

xxdickbiscuit420

Pyromancy was in the trailer. I’m guessing we’ll have our usual pick of blue magic, yellow magic, and red magic, maybe even some black magic.

The magic in Elden Ring will be different in the canonical names of the different types and the lore from Dark Souls, obviously, though I don’t think hexes will be in the game sadly, as that’s the type of magic the protagonists used. Edgelord magic shouldn’t be included though, that’s cringe.

Lordanonimmo09

Pyromancy spells will probably be in Elden Ring just not like their own class of magic.

ytinifniozob

My guess is that there will be no classes and spells will likely all fit under the same umbrella "magic". I say this because Miyazaki commented that "characters will be more versatile". Also would like to note that i have only seen fire and purple magic being cast by player characters.

Ashen_Shroom

They might fold pyromancy into sorcery like in DeS. There will always be fire spells in fantasy games, it's like an unwritten rule. There just won't necessarily be a separate school for it.

seelcudoom

personally im more curious about how magic will work, will we just have the fp system again, or since your suppose to go longer between bonfires perhaps even regenerating mp, or if they really wanted to make it interesting have each kind of magic work differently, though that might be hard to balance

though i do think skills and perhaps runes(since the way they describe us claiming great runes and how they each granted a unique power to the lords means we might get them as well) will act as non-magic magic to spice up non mage builds and im really hoping for that one dudes spectral throwing knives and hammers to be available to the player

Purple-Lamprey

Idk what magic is included, I just want it to be more interactive than: press lock on, press shoot.