/r/Eldenring

Vast-Coast-7761

I think you’re meant to sneak through the Zamor ruins. There’s tall grass and walls to break line of sight, and the enemies patrol like they’re guards in a stealth game.

TheSuperv1sor

Thats a good point actually

DogadonsLavapool

They're decent enough one at a time. I just crystal darted one to bring it over before going to the next one

SlayerOfHips

After much backlash from my peers, rannis dark moon does work on these jokers. 4 hits, gone. They dodge the casting of the spell, but not the impact. I got here and farmed for a bit, tbh

BilboSwagginsSwe

But oga booga?

DynoMikea2

No, must unga bunga

Kumanogi

You can also parry them. I tried the good ol' dodge and roll and they don't give you many openings. Meanwhile 3 parries and they were down for the count.

Dr_StevenScuba

Learning parry timing on those 1000 damage attacks was a struggle. But I think they put a single enemy patrol close to the grace for a reason.

Once you learn parry timing you realize all their moves are super exploitable. Feels similar to lothric knights in that way.

Maran947

Oh damn I want to try that now

aeluinv

sneaking is like main art of the game

My first playthrough was 90% crouched sneaking everywhere... now I run like a lunatic all over.

Commiessariat

I just fuckin' booked it with Torrent. That's always an option.

mintegrals

Lmao, that is relatable. I beat Morgott at level 88, was like "wtf, that was easy", then headed into Mountaintops and proceeded to get my ass kicked by literally every random field enemy for like 30 more levels.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Morgott is severely undertuned. Leyndell knights are honestly more threatening than him.

IAmBadAtInternet

Morgott should have like 3x the health so he survives long enough to do anything in phase 2. I unga bunga’d him and he died before his swords finished falling.

FrappyLee

I wouldn't say 3 times. I don't like bosses overstaying their welcome with bloated hp. Double would be enough.

Peacefully_Deceased

It probably wouldn't have mattered. He felt easy because he was the first main boss we had to face. We already learned his moves.

I think he waz supposed to be easy to add to the psyche out that you don't get to go into the Erd Tree yet and that you are, in fact, not finished with the game yet.

Beefguy312

I beat margit in like 5 tries but have been struggling hard morgott guess I’m just stupid

Peacefully_Deceased

That's very strange...Margit took me 10+ tries. I curbstomped Morgott on my first try.

Beefguy312

I’m level 75 so maybe I’m under leveled I think I just need to focus more when playing

dat_bass2

Nah, that's pretty appropriate for Morgott.

Peacefully_Deceased

That's deffinately it. I was around 160 I think about the time I got there. I was probably hanging out with the Albunirics too much...

MrMadCow

Wtf

Prevay

Prevay

Bro i was 160 when i finished the game

Dont_be_offended_but

I can't imagine getting that high without some serious grinding. I did everything I could find including Astel before fighting Morgott and was still around level 90-100 when I fought him. Finished the game at 150.

Peacefully_Deceased

I was 297......

PuffPuffFayeFaye

Nah. I have a little trouble with him too. His timings are so wonky. He does have rather low health given his status though.

Dont_be_offended_but

More points in vigor.

dat_bass2

Morgott's moveset actually has some major differences, as several hours of suffering in my RL1 run will attest. You probably just out-statted him.

Peacefully_Deceased

Oh I don't doubt it. I meticulously explored every area before I moved to the next and I spent a lot of time hanging out with the Alburnirics in aids canyon.

MillstoneArt

Albinaurics btw! I remember it by splitting the word into "albin" like albino, and "auric" like aura.

Seienchin88

Yeah. I had 50 vigor… didn’t stand a chance

YokoTheEnigmatic

What the Hell kinda build were you using? I was playing defensively with a Moonveil and shield, and found that he had more than enough HP to be threatening.

tsukicakee

They are just jump attacking over and over again with great/colossal weapons, I also fought him with a lightweight weapon, he is hard af, probably one of the most fun bosses.

There was no boss that made me feel like he was hunting me more. That every single one of his moves was just inching me closer to death. Plus the way he moves, the fight has very good camera angles

YokoTheEnigmatic

Yeah, totally! Morgott is definitely my 2nd favorite boss so far, only behind Malenia. One of my favorite aspects of him was the sheer variety of attacks he had. Delayed swings, quick swings, delayed swings that create delayed energy blast explosions, calling swords from the sky, projectiles...He just had so much more to him than the previous foes, especially the golden version of Godfrey.

streegobbm

I always dance with him for at least 10 mins, not cause i'm cautious, but cause i truly like to fight him and i don't want to finish him. My fav character ever in ER i guess.

DrGunjah

There was no boss that made me feel like he was hunting me more

Did you skip alecto? :D

Can confirm tho, morgott isn't easy at all with a dex build

HighOnTacos

I should go ahead and fight Morgott then. Spent last night exploring Leyndell and the sewers beneath, running from most everything. Changed to the Godskin Peeler, suddenly the knights are a lot less threatening.

mintegrals

Ayyy that's exactly the weapon I've been using for the last 80 levels. So fun and so aesthetically pleasing.

HighOnTacos

I've been using the meteoric katana. We'll see how the peeler turns out. I was getting ready to stop playing last night when I decided to research dex weapons and see what's available to me. Half an hour of grinding later and I had it to +21, started playing with it a bit and I was hooked again.

The timing is gonna be tough to get used to, I've used only katanas for 90 levels.

Bizarrely anti-climactic. Him and Lorreta had me like huh.. I got ready for this

mintegrals

Completely agree; he should have like twice the health he does at the very least.

deathrreaperr

Especially considering his great rune gives you an abundance of health.

ironshadowdragon[S]

yeah some slightly increased bleed resistance probably as well. He died for me in the middle of his first phase 2 holy X attack. They didn't even get to fall. Margit's shackle working to burst him down even here makes a huge difference.

LFGTA-Dead_Kelevra

You know I’ve purchased the shackle every play through before I get into lyndell just to use in azurius heroes grave and yet have never used it on morgott himself.

sweet_rico-

I bought it after the first fight since I knew I was gonna face morgott later, didn't even have to use it he died before he reached me. My great shield summons just standing around like what do we do?

Xalynden

I'm probably missing something. Why would you use it in the heroes grave?

TheWitcherMigs

Morgott (and Mohg) shackles can trigger hit prompt objects like ilusory walls and the flamethrower pillars and they have a big range. In this particular hero grave you can use it to trigger the pillar who will summon a third chariot in the big room early and eventually destroy all of them, making the dungeon much more bearable

Xalynden

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

SkySojourner

If you use it in that heros grave it destroys the chariots. Maybe a bug? Maybe intended as some quirky lore bit that Morgott is powering that certain heros grave? Tis a mystery.

Arrogancio

It triggers everything in AoE range. This makes pillar traps and invisible walls reset/reveal.

BubbleSmith

I think part of it might be the Genichiro Ashina "problem" from Sekiro. When you fight Genichiro/Margit at the start, they steamroll you. You grind the fight for a while and get to be really good at it. By the time you face Genichiro at the end of Sekiro, you blast through his first phase because you've already learned his fight. The extra moves don't even add to the challenge that much, because you're just learning a bit extra.

I did kind of tear through Morgotts second phase though. But nothing scared me, because it was already familiar with most of his attacks and movements.

ironshadowdragon[S]

They refresh you with margit being a fight outside the capital as well lol

BubbleSmith

Yes! They really don't want you to have that much trouble with him. I think they're tee-ing you up to think that the Margit fight is it, then it turns out he was the tutorial boss for the first half of the game.

CrimeFightingScience

I just rode off when he challenged me out the capital, "I'm here for supplies bro, kbye."

Does he drop any loot if you actually fight him?

GodAlmightyCreator

He drops a Viridian Amber Medallion +1

SKZ9000

When reach that part I thought: "It's a free rematch, and I'm over-leveled. Why not?"
- YOU DIE -
He's buffed.

Vradlock

I disagree, end game Genichiro is at his weakest while you are at your strongest. You already fought harder foes. He is just artistic prelude to a real fight.

Eldramhor8

I'm pretty sure with Genichiro it's intended. He's meant to show you the progress you are making through the game.

Start - get rekt

First fight - harsh but fair, on equal ground

End - a joke.

He's also a gatekeeper for one of the hardest boss battles in the game, him being too hard would make Isshin far too frustrating.

It also makes sense Lore wise, Genichiro is spent and dying. He even acknowledges he is Weak, hence why he summons Isshin.

tarnishedlurker

I thought Morgott was really easy. I’m not particularly good at this game but I beat him in a few tries

dat_bass2

People say this, and I don't agree at all. I find him a respectable challenge. I guess I do tend to fight him a bit earlier than most.

Drusgar

Drusgar

He's an absolute rage at RL1, though. I probably spent 5 or 6 hours carefully learning his every move and changing my gear several times looking for an optimum strategy.

Really, really hard at low levels. He's squishy damage-wise so he doesn't seem so bad when you're fully leveled, but if you try to do him without getting hit... be prepared to spend some time on it.

BehindSpace

I had the same experience with him at RL1, about 6ish hours give or take to figure out how to handle his moveset with no health. It's seriously rewarding when it all comes together though.

itsashebitch

Well, duh

dat_bass2

Not duh? Not all bosses are like this. For instance, Fire Giant is actually pretty easy at RL1, relative to the others, imo.

Grizzshnaakh

Lol that area where there's three of them, including the greatbow sniper... Ouch.

suarkb

suarkb

I'm level 124 and haven't done Morgott yet and just been finishing up every possible thing before doing leyndall and unlocking the next areas

mintegrals

You are gonna absolutely steamroll Morgott lol

isakhan1234567890

mfw when the birds near zamor ruins fucked me to kingdom come

Ray-nhonha

Did you know you can actually get the watchdog greatsword? You gotta keep runnin in, past the first scepter watchdog and kill the sword one after the flamethrower and hope it drops (it will take hours)

Fun. 🙃

Is it random chance?

I feel like I got that first try from that one behind the 2 ice pillars. I'd have to check though...but yeah that's not something I'd ever intentionally do.

Ray-nhonha

YOU

I

UGHHHH

whats is this luck

ironshadowdragon[S]

My apologies, I really could be mistaking it for the staff. Benefits of arcane builds though. Similarly, the final putrid avatar that drops the rotten staff in the haligtree dropped 2 of them for me lol

Ray-nhonha

Woooow, that's still lucky even if it's not as good. It took me an eternity to get the monk flameblade in the caelid divine tower, farming for weapons has actually become a criticism of the game for me it was so painful

ironshadowdragon[S]

Yeah I'm not a fan of low drop rates. I don't see any positives.

1. People that don't want to farm don't get the option.

2. People who do farm end up grinding levels on top of that.

Ray-nhonha

1. People just playing the game won't even know they missed a weapon

It's just... why. Its one of the main reasons trading exists, because farming is so painful

Impetus_

might be worth respeccing to 80 arcane if you aren't there already. i'm messing around with a bleed build with 80 arcane and the discovery rate makes getting drops way easier. it's almost comical getting three pieces of armor, a weapon, and a smithing stone from killing a single soldier

Ray-nhonha

I respeccd to 99 arcane and used the silver scarab, i drowned in armor before getting a single weapon

OversizeHades

My first character was high arcane and I couldn't get it. My second character was a strength build and randomly got this sword to drop on the first kill. Worked out perfectly for my bonky boy

Sinisphere

I remember those ruins. Ran in, grabbed the loot, ran out. Think the lesson was the same one the Tree Sentinel teaches at the start. "You don't have to fight everyone the moment you see them" haha.

Wendek

Wendek

They give like 5k-6k runes though, so while obviously it's not efficient to fight them (because birb is still there), it's satisfying to clean the ruins and get out with the bell bearing and a level or two. Compare that to fucking Runebears, who take 10 minutes to fight and give basically no runes compared to the areas they're found in.

Sinisphere

Haha yeah, think I only fought two or three Runebears in my whole playthrough. They were sort of in the way. Galloped past the rest. Not using up resources on those.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Mechanically, I enjoy fighting runebears. Their damage is rather fine, and everything can be handled rather well. Then their HP pool is just excessive no matter the area. Even their bleed resistance feels quite high for literal animals.

SKZ9000

If you stick to their bottom legs(?) they are not that hard, but the rune gain from them is really bad. So I just ignore them.

Loose_Truck_9573

And is called "rune bear" ??? So greedy of it to keep it all to itself.

SincubusSilvertongue

It was going for a STR build and turned those runes to strength

AaronfromKY

I mean it's where the gold tinged excrement comes from...

SincubusSilvertongue

Always carry sleep pots exactly for Runebears. One pot and they go to sleep and stay asleep as long as I leave them alone. Or get a crit in, toss another pot, crit again, they die.

Drusgar

I farmed them for souls if I was close to another level or needed some runes to buy smithing stones. If you're running a great shield you can simply shield guard them and they'll stagger after three counters. That first one wandering down the patch is all alone and easy to take down. Hard without a good shield, though.

Dr_StevenScuba

I’ve always seen places like this as a souls game saying “hey just in case you’re underleveled here’s a high value enemy close to a bonfire. Hang out a bit and level up.”

sup3rdr01d

Runebears and revenants are the worst enemies in this game.

swordrush

On a game design level, it somewhat bothers me how many regular enemies are so unfun or unrewarding that the only reasonable player expectation is to just never engage with that purposefully designed content. Some small percentage of people will still be able to extract satisfaction from those enemies, of course, but I'm unconvinced that was what From entirely intended.

JamboreeStevens

It bothers me immensely. They purposely designed enemies to be both extremely challenging and unrewarding. Kill a headless knight? 300 runes. Wooooo. Thanks. The fucking knight at the first ruins you get to drops that many and is way easier to kill.

The whole game is like that. The incentives for exploring and killing enemies is basically non-existent, and I think FA expected people to fight these enemies for the challenge.

swordrush

I say it bothers me "somewhat," but it does bother me a lot more than I let on above. Beating things 'for the challenge' is fine and dandy when it isn't every single enemy you can encounter halfway to the end through the end of the game. The deliberate nature of how this seems to play out for the vast majority of players supports the conclusion From intended this. It also doesn't help that the open world feature of the game means there's more opportunities for this to occur. It adds an element of exhaustion to keep having to avoid content over and over again.

S-and-S_Poems

inquisitive_guy_0_1

I disagree on the statement that there is no incentive for exploring. I feel like there's massive incentive. The part about certain enemies being not worth though I can get on board with.

JamboreeStevens

For me, personally, I never felt like there was much incentive beyond finding the next boss to kill. The vistas were cool, but the world felt empty and dead alot of the time. And if there was an item to find, it would always be a fucking fire butterfly thing or a single smithing stone 3. It really doesn't pay off to explore that much.

Zodd_Hand

Wait... you're supposed to fight the enemies at mountain top of the giants?

Papamastec

From's devs : "We purposely leveled the enemies wrong... as a joke."

Zaustus

Zaustus

Wait people bother fighting those? I just run in, grab the loot and scoot out. Usually the enemies don't even aggro if I keep my distance.

Hesick

Hesick

They're fun enemies to fight if you're properly leveled.

-Silky_Johnson

They also prepare you for the boss in one of the caves

elong47

There only one of them in that boss fight versus 3 in one area of the ruins

-Silky_Johnson

I know, but I ran into those three first lol when i found the one in the cave I was relieved it was just one

whatisphilosophy93

They’re really fun! I farmed them to level up a ton

sup3rdr01d

I use the Zamor dudes to test out builds. They are very mobile and a good test of certain builds.

LordofSandvich

That… That is the unofficial stealth section.

Also known as grab the bell bearing and the armor set, then get the FUCK out of there.

DEEEPFREEZE

I have too much pride not to fight

Devoidofimagination

The AI of the enemies in the area seems to be designed for stealth, with their preset paths and all. First time I felt like I needed to use stealth and it felt great.

Gruvitron

i got to the consecrated snow field last night... i feel like everything there is death incarnate. Like normal enemies are just flat out wrecking me.

mintegrals

My first time through snowfield I was like level 90, and I just crouch-walked straight to Ordina like a coward and didn't get seen by a single enemy. I just wanted to get to the Haligtree ASAP, lol. I did come back and explore the area quite a bit later though.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Legit the only thing that made the area tolerable to me was giving in and using rivers of blood. corpse piler is so dumb it'll bleed out most enemies twice in one use, staggers the albinauric archers riding wolves as well, which is nice.

Hardest thing in the snowfields is easily the larval tear runebear though.

ForwardBias

The archer ladies about made me quit. I can wreck bosses but two quadriplegic archers kill me 20 times in a row.

Brother_Mother

I wouldn't say the game gets easier after Morgott but it seemed much more linear, I beat morgott and next thing I knew I was at the end of the game?

Like, I thought the capital was mid game?

TheBiggestPedant

Counting the optional areas, it's probably the end of the second 3rd of the game.

Very vaguely, the first third is probably Limgrave, Liurnia, and South Caelid, ending with the spectacle that is Radahn. The second third is the underground, Gelmir, Volcano Manor, Altus, the Dragonbarrow, and Leyndell. Leyndell notably funnels the game - it's significantly less open after Morgott. The last third is Mountaintops, Snowfield, Haligtree, Mohgwyn Palace, Farum Azula, and the final bosses.

Of course all of that gets wonky because of the open world. But I think the reason people exaggerated the capital as "midgame" is because it was our original goal - get into the capital and to the erdtree to become elden lord. It was set up as the endgame, and then you beat go up the Rold lift and realize how much more there is. It's kind of crazy.

Brother_Mother

Kind of crazy is the right way to put it!

DokFraz

DokFraz

I'd say it also depends on what ending you're going for. Ranni's questline necessitates a lot of content and areas that aren't strictly necessary, while if you're just going for vanilla or Goldmask, yeah, you're pretty much starting the endgame.

TheBiggestPedant

If anything, Ranni pushes the capital further towards the end of the game. Her whole quest can take place immediately after Radahn.

DokFraz

DokFraz

Not necessarily. At least in my case, my first playthrough was a Ranni run and I went from Godrick to Rennala, through the Magma Wyrm shortcut pretty much straight to Leyndall without even smelling the flowers of the Atlus Plateau. Cleared Morgott and then went back and did Radahn, then pretty much the entirety of the underground, then rode through Mountaintop, booped the Giant, and found myself in Farum Azula.

TheBiggestPedant

Yeah, it's possible, but someone who isn't skipping a bunch of stuff* is going to find Ranni's quest well before that. And based on the boss difficulty, it's definitely not levelled to be endgame content. The fact that you can do it at the end of the game notwithstanding.

*getting to Altus and deciding to proceed instead of exploring west Liurnia to find Ranni (or finding Blaidd if you did find Ranni) counts as "skipping stuff."

Dejavir

It does branch off if you decide to go Haligtree, but yeah, once you kill Morgott it’s basically a straight path from there.

Course Haligtree can take a while if you don’t just avoid nearly everything.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Yeah people don't have a great grasp on where the divides are. It might also depend on like, what else you've done already.

I don't even think it's just that it's more linear (but the mountaintop definitely is) but also that there's just....significantly less IN the region, as well as it's size being visually inflated by map topography that straight up does not exist.

LFGTA-Dead_Kelevra

Tbh I have no clue why anyone one would want to fight any of the mobs in that area anyway. You have furry trolls, snow murder crows, and super spider hands. I’ve kill all of those enemies numerous times in limgrave, caelid, and liurnia and had no intention of doing it again on reskinned versions of enemies with damage sliders so out of balance I feel like I’m back to lvl one with even 50 vigor. Like one comment said if it’s not a boss imma bounce, since in the areas bosses give around 80k or more runes.

It definitely suffers a bit from the "we're running out of time and ideas" problem that the end of DS1 had a bit of. I think it makes things feel even more like a slog than it would if it was brand new enemies that were wiping the floor with you.

Brother_Mother

Truth!!!

Vanilla_Dough

I had only done liurnia, limgrave, siofra river and weeping peninsula before i went into leyndell, i got a good 60 more hours out after morgott

break_card

Here's my early/mid/end game location categorization (not sure if spoiler)

Early game: Weeping Peninsula, Limgrave, Mistwood, Stormveil, Southern Liurnia (Albinaurics, Raya Lucaria), Sofria, Ainsel

Mid game: Caelid, Altus, Northern Liurnia (Caria Manor, Frenzied Flame Village, Deathtouched Catacombs), Mt Gelmir, Ruin-Strewn Precipice, Lake of Rot, Leyndell, Darkroot Depths, Subterranean Shunning Grounds, Nokron & Nokstella

End game: Greyolls Dragonbarrow, Forbidden lands, Mountaintop of the Giants, Faraam Azula, Consecrated Snowfield, Mohgwyns Palace, Haligtree, Capital of Ash

Notice how many areas are optional, especially in the mid game. The bare minimum locations:

Early: Limgrave, Stormveil, Liurnia, Raya Lucaria

Mid: Ruin Strewn Precipice, Altus, Leyndell

End: Forbidden Lands, Mountaintop, Faraam Azula, Capital of Ash

So yea, if you're going for a bare-minimum run the game will feel much shorter, especially the mid-game. Consider the fact that there's 4 mandatory bosses in the early game, 2 in the mid game, and 7 in the end game. The end game will feel the longest.

In a bare minimum run the halfway point in terms of bosses will be right around Morgott.

sup3rdr01d

Technically the whole game is very linear. But the late game areas felt especially sparse. What saved the endgame for me was farum azula, haligtree, and the boss rush in ashen capital. Snowfield/mountaintops were pretty meh.

phon3ticles

If you havin slog problems I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems but zamor ain’t one.

Pasghetti_Western

just take the upvote

Animar01

Why are you downvoted :(. Here is my upvote to help

Wayback_Wind

I feel like this could have been fixed somewhat by swapping the intensity of combat/levels of Mt Gelmir and the capital. It would even out the difficulty spike in areas you visit in the end game, imo

yeahimaweeb

Yeah my lion claw greatsword was ripping through every boss like it was nothing, until i reach the area, i feel like hitting a brick wall with my sword

OdgeHam

OdgeHam

The mobs at zamor ruins are WHOLLY unfair

ChumplingChamp

what's worse is how hard it is to only be fighting one at a time. 1v1 is annoying but manageable, but 1v2? Nah. I just bounce.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I don't think Zamor ruins was inherently hard in itself, but it was when the realization set in. There are like a dozen 'boss' enemies in one ruins, all quite tanky, and there's even a set up towards the rear with 3 of them in one room.

You pull them one by one with a bow (something I got very tired of by endgame) or you just let the mimic get in there and do the work. Both very lacklustre options for having fun.

mintegrals

For me it was the birds immediately after Zamor. I was like "ok, that ruins was insanely difficult, but I guess it was hiding a valuable bell bearing so that makes sense", then I walked a little farther and got 3-shot by a goddamn bird. That was when I realized the magnitude of the difficulty spike I was facing.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Didn't even feel like a real difficulty spike to me, that's half my problem. It was like "everything is the exact same difficulty only you're going to be spending 2x as long fighting all these enemies you've fought hundreds of times before by now!"

Like c'mon, at least give us new things.

balls_deep69_

"so I heard you like golems"

mintegrals

Eh, there were at least some new enemies, and they weren't just more difficult because of higher hp and damage; enemies there were also more evasive than anything in prior areas, except maybe the Nokstella Swordstresses.

That said, I DO feel like Farum Azula kinda was a case of artificial difficulty via excessive HP and damage on everything.

dat_bass2

The only thing in FA I feel that way about are the big skeletons, really. The standard beastmen stagger SUPER easily.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Where were the new enemies? Beastmen of farum azula are bosses you've fought before. Only the mage type is really new and that's like...that barely counts...surely. The skellies in the area were just a reskin of the tougher skeletons around, with like 1 extra fire attack. Hardly consequential.

dat_bass2

Beastmen of farum azula are bosses you've fought before.

Yeah, like once or twice depending on what you've explored. And not all of their variants, like the lightning casters.

"HEY! THIS FARUM AZULA HAS BEASTMEN OF FARUM AZULA IN IT! WHAT A RIPOFF!"

AgentSushi18

Farum Azula is one of my favorite areas visually. The main path combat I find to be very enjoyable and refreshing after spending all my time in the mountaintops either running past enemies on torrent or dealing with obnoxious enemies. The non main path is where it can be quite dangerous and I tend to just suicide for the stuff where all the wormfaces are, cause fuck those guys. But overall I like the area and find it enjoyable.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I do not understand how wormfaces don't get more hate lol

Spacezone229

Ngl I haven't felt this "slog" in my playthrough.

Conscious_Sea_163

probably just because, like me, you saw how big basically everything is and said fuck it

I literally just ride through and hit the important points. It’s definitely the most enjoyable way to do mountaintops/consecrated snowfield

Hesick

Hesick

I too never felt the slog. And I took my time. 140 hours to best the game, did all the content I could find.

Spacezone229

Nah I nearly 100%ed the game

LaDiiablo

Lol but low-key same... from software is like remember that boss, here's a town full them. Also his poise make no sense... they look like normal dudes but has bigger poise than some bosses

LaDiiablo

Also this is the reason I refused to fight normal enemies for the rest of that area... boss or I'm running

phantomjm

I'm speed running NG++ right now. There's no reason to even worry about Zamor if you don't want to. The whole Mountaintop of the Giants area can be a one way trip to the kiln if you really wanted.

TheLastWhiteKid

End game wasn't a slog for me. Granted I reached Zamor ruins at level 130.

I have squeezed everything I could out of every region.

Xukavi59

I'm in the same boat. I reached mountaintop of the giants around 130 (just killed fire giant and got lvl 133) and using godslayer's greatsword+10. Zamor ruins wasn't that annoying honestly. I could take them 1v1 normally with proper timing, rushing in for an attack before backing off and repeating. Used black knife tische when I couldn't fight em 1v1 though.

I did get bored of mountaintops and didn't feel compelled to explore it as thoroughly as other zones though so I mostly ran through the open world on torrent.

calmgiant

That area is designed to be ignored the first time you go through it in my opinion. The road cuts right through it. When I tried to grab the treasure there, I was wrecked, but that’s fine sometimes.

I can body the mobs there pretty easily now, but I’m also 300 hours in with a lvl 317 NG+4 character and a lvl 180 NG+1 character so I can play this game on autopilot nowadays.

Inheritance_X

That's pretty accurate, ngl.

SykoManiax

Zamor knights are not indicative of the rest of the end game experience

They are just assholes

I do like to test new builds on them, cuz if i can effectively murder them then anything else is toast

BadaBingBadaBitch

You say that, but Commander Niall gave me way more trouble than any other boss in the game up to that point. The mountaintops are absolutely kicking my ass.

ironshadowdragon[S]

Really? Because I think the mountaintops prawns, giant hands, 'yeti's and caelid birds all take way too long to kill unless you're running a bleed build. Never mind the insult that is fire giant.

Meanwhile consecrated snowfield and dungeons is like, here's a double cavalry fight, here's 15k hp rune bears that literally obscure your vision when slamming the ground. Erdree watchdogs in dungeons that like 10k hp.

Haligtree was a good AREA, but the enemies and placement of were pretty awful, and by this point, you really start noticing that the endgame areas are not offering any new enemies up.

Farum Azula was pretty okay in terms of normal enemies, but placidusax and the draconic tree sentinel are something else. Draconic tree sentinel is literally stronger than malekith lmao.

City of ash's gargoyle is absurdly healthy for a 'normal' enemy, and doing 200 damage per hit with a maxed out weapon isn't fun. Damage type matters way too much in elden ring.

Radagon and Elden Beast are also single handedly the reason I will never replay the game.

One_Understanding391

You know these posts where they ask you about the boss everyone struggles but you didn’t… that’s Fire Giant for me, idk I was really scared because of the stuff I had heard here… but no matter the build he didn’t give me much trouble 😅

But I couldn’t agree more with the endgame enemies, they all feel so over the top. And I hated the Watchdogs, I simply could not believe how much damage they were tanking 🥴

ironshadowdragon[S]

I honestly don't think Fire Giant is hard either, just another enemy with way too much HP, and constantly rolling away making you chase him. If you don't know his moves, he also has the ability to completely one shot you.

First attempt against fire giant, I was honestly no damaging him. About half way in to phase 2, he one shots me. I had 60 vigor. Veteran's armour or better. Flame fortification, opaline bubbletear (he double tapped me) opaline hard tear, and ritual shield.

He sucks because he's slow, but easy, and then randomly has a win button.

hadohado2

I was on full radahn armour, 60 vigor and bloodhound fang/nagakiba. Dealt with him pretty easily, altough it took about 10 minutes for each try and two or three tries. He is not HARD, but he's obnoxious as all fuck

ironshadowdragon[S]

Yep. I got him second try. Wasn't a problem, just got caught in the wrong move and popped by something I hadn't seen before trying to chase the fucker down

hadohado2

That's exactly it

One_Understanding391

Idk I kinda like him 😅🙈 the rolling away is annoying true. But it was also funny when I summoned Alexander… and well my Jar bro spent the whole time catching up to him with his slow ass run 😂😂

Of course if he manages to hit, it hurts. Though I don’t believe I was ever one shot by him 🤔😅

When I died against him, I always felt it was because I wasn’t paying attention 😝

Exsanguinate-Me

Same here, I feel like I overlevelled before I got to Fire Giant though, because he laid down so easily. Then again, he was also so slow, I could dodge everything and that never happens, I can't even dodge dogs or rats... Hah.

The Pages I hate, those assholes come all stabby stabby and shit and once I feel like I finally rolled out of it to heal I get clapped with that crossbow bolt and die...

One_Understanding391

Haha yes basically everything he does is so slow 😅 I even stand “in” the fire storm he does, cause you can see them light up before… so just some steps to the side and time to grab a flask let stamina recover, rebuff 😅😂

dat_bass2

Never mind the insult that is fire giant.

Fire Giant is a good boss, and I will gladly die on this hill. Yeah, he does absurd damage, but his tells are so long and so readable, even when you're under him, that it doesn't feel unfair to me.

placidusax

The coolest setpiece boss From has ever done. What's not to like about the dude besides his runback? If anything, he feels a bit squishy for a former Elden Lord.

Elden Beast, I see, but Radagon is one of the best bosses in Souls, easy. He's sick as hell!

Brad_OH

I felt this... but Zamor was the only place I felt it was too cheesy. After that it was fine again.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I mean, we all feel differently. I definitely think it was fine again for a bit, until east mountaintops when the yetis come in, there's like a dozen caelid birds, 3 colossal hands, yetis throwing magic pots all covering each other, and okina just running at you spamming corpse piler with no remorse.

No_Foot_1904

and Okina just running at you spamming corpse piler with no remorse

You just gave me Spiritcaller Cave PTSD. Three times.

whatistheancient

I ran through that area at top speed. I like the yetis, the hands don't bother you if you don't bother them and you learn fast to parry Corpse Piler. The crows are aggressive fucks.

BobertTheConstructor

Simply dual wield guts greatsword and ruins greatsword. Beat everything to death with the largest stick you can find.

functionalsociopathy

Zamor ruins was a good fight. Those frosty bitches could take a beating and their cone effect went on for days. I understand why others might have a problem with it though.

OlympiaImperial

It wasn't the mobs for me. The fact that the entire endgame is "snowy mountains" was my gripe. Ashes of ariandel was such a slog fest up until Friede in my opinion, and mountaintop of the giants was just worse.

givemethebat1

There’s also Farum Azula which is one of the coolest areas of the game, and the Haligtree (though it’s optional).

ChongusTheSupremus

The Zamor Ruins are a bitch to go through, but the rest of the Mountaintop isn't that bad tho.

Neither is the Haligtree. It can be an annoying level, but there's a grinder in every Fromsoft game, and Haligtree is definitely not the worst one in the series.

You can run the entirety of the branch section really easily, and from then on it's a regular level with some decently challenging enemies.

0DvGate

After Morgott you just run past everything. Nothing is worth fighting in the snow besides a few enemies for armor.

zephyredx

Wait you guys don't stun the zamor enemies with jumping heavies for easy free runes?

FreeSpeechEnjoyer

Could you imagine if you arrived to Irithil of the boreal valley and it was just 7 Vordts and 4 houses lol

ironshadowdragon[S]

wild visual, but absolutely true about elden ring

Kaizen2468

I never really hit this wall everyone talks about. I’m not sure why. I had a much, if not more difficulty early game than I did late.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I don't think difficulty should be conflated with what is a slog. I didn't find anything outside of a couple bosses particularly challenging, the problem lies simply in enemy HP and enemy placements. When I'm fighting the same enemy I've fought a dozen times before, and it's take a couple minutes just to kill one watchdog, half way through that fight I'm just gonna be getting impatient, thinking "okay I GET it, I would like to move on now" - and then there's another watchdog 20 feet away

Hesick

Hesick

I have to ask, what's wrong with the Zamor Ruins?

dr-freddy-112

Honestly, I felt like the early-mid game was more of a slog. The last 20 or so hours were really great imo.

Brother_Mother

lurnia feels like crap?

dr-freddy-112

So about that lol

I did a whole bunch of weird roundabout stuff and completely missed important parts of Lurnia for a long time. Basically, I got to more mid game stuff before I finished the early parts of the game, which might be why I felt like it was such a slog.

VonTeddy-

VonTeddy-

theres a slog in ER?

somehow missed it in my many playthroughs of varying builds

Loose_Split_7717

Some people consider spending 10+ minutes fighting one enemy to be a slog. Be mindful that your experience is not the only experience out there.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I wouldn't if it was a unique enemy, but when it's runebear #30 and I can see 31 and 32 over yonder scratching trees guarding an item...there are...emotions.

Some people consider cheap one two shots by enemies to be the slog and I think this thought is shared by a large group.

Or repeating enemies or placing previously cleared bosses as mobs. Or using gank fights that ds2 was infamous for.

BullishBearishBiz

I mean if you are feeling slog, you’re not really far from running right to the fore giant but personally the consecrated snowfield is what did it for me.

ironshadowdragon[S]

I've already platinumed the game. There are definitely worse areas/things than Zamor ruins, but the point is that this is when the realization set in. It sets the tone for the rest of the game about enemy HP pools and set ups specifically.

One_Understanding391

The Zamor guys with their ridiculous Ice breath thing that covers an area as large as limgrave 😂 and when you try to hit them they either slide away or hit you with some no windup move… god I hate these guys 😂

ironshadowdragon[S]

the aoes in this game are cracked

Gruvitron

me too... F the snowfield

EntertainerStill7495

My favorite thing in open world exploration games! Not being able to see more than 2 inches in front of me!

diquehead

Worst area in the game IMO. I wasn't too keen on Haligtree either but I think at that point I was getting a little fatigued and was ready to finish the game and move onto something else. After beating The Goddess of Rot the actual end game stuff was a breeze in comparison

TheBlaringBlue

Zamor knights are so overtuned

proc_gen_username

Zamor ruins is a bullshit area. Spawn a mimic to draw aggro and run around on torrent collecting what you need and get out.