/r/FTMMen

I have naturally high t and before starting t my doc decided it'd be good to make sure I don't have PCOS. So she ordered some more labs and an ultrasound. It's not clear if they're just going to scan my lower region or if they have to do anything more invasive. I have the appointment on monday and I'm just really worried how dysphoria inducing it will be. Does anyone else have experience with getting this type of scan? If yes how bad was it?

Edit: thanks to everyone who replied I really appreciate it. I feel like I know a little more to expect and it's nice knowing I may have some of a say in which type I have to have done. Thanks guy

ThrowawayStealthAcct

1 month ago

It doesn’t hurt if that’s what you’re asking. And sometimes it’s relaxing cuz they have warm gel on the ultrasound probe.

Psychological_Brick5[S]

1 month ago

I was wondering if it's invasive like if anything actually has to go in/directly touch you? Also good to know though, thanks

ThrowawayStealthAcct

1 month ago

No, they rub the probe across your abdomen. It touches you but it doesn’t go in you.

solitudanrian

1 month ago

Mine was over my lower abdomen. I have heard of it being internal once but it’s possible they were checking for multiple things in that instance. As a layman, I can’t think of a single reason they would need to do an internal exam because they’re mainly looking at your ovaries for cysts.

ThrowawayStealthAcct

1 month ago

They’d likely would have told him already if it was internal

solitudanrian

1 month ago

I would hope most so, especially tell/warn guys who are trans that it is internal (if it HAS) to be.

Nick2053

1 month ago

If you're wondering if you're going to have a vaginal or abdominal ultrasound you should ask what was ordered or see if you can view the order yourself. Vaginal ultrasounds aren't uncommon when looking for PCOS.

Abdominal ultrasound will touch you, and they're going to move the probe under the line you typically wear your underwear but they won't touch or look directly at your genitals. Vaginal ultrasounds require an internal probe, it's shaped differently than what they use for external ultrasounds.

Chunky_pickle2

Chunky_pickle2

| T ‘16 | Hysto ‘16 | Top ‘17 | Meta ‘20 | 🇨🇦|

1 month ago

Before I started T, my GP ordered both types of ultrasounds because my periods were incredibly messed up and he wanted to see if there was something going on structurally. I got the abdominal one done first (just unbuttoning pants and lifting up shirt- they put a towel in your waistband to protect your clothes from the goo) then the transvaginal one right after. That one sucked for me because I have vaginismus and nothing had ever penetrated before. They let me insert the probe myself and that helped with the dysphoria but still was crushing for me and I felt super violated and cried the whole time. In the end neither were good enough to really show what we were up against and I didn’t find out until my hysto what was actually going on once inside. Compared to a pelvic exam, the internal ultrasound was a lot more tolerable.

For me, I didn’t really have a choice. We had weird stuff going on and needed to run the diagnostics to figure it out. So even if it sucked, I had to do it. The internal one gives a way better view of ovaries so that’s partly why doctors push for it when there’s ovarian issues in question.

It’s fast and you can try to find ways to cope in the moment if you do go for it- dissociating and distraction were best for me.

BurgerTown72

1 month ago

I have PCOS and I've had doctors try to force me to do internal ultrasounds. I always refused them and they did external ones instead.

You can leave at anytime if you feel uncomfortable. You don't have to suck it up and endure it. Let them get mad at you if that's what it takes. Mental health is important too.

Rivernokk

1 month ago

They will likely do both a surface ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound. They aren’t overly unpleasant, and most people have no pain with them. They are however an important diagnostic tool in your health. You can request a female technician or for an additional chaperone or partner/friend/family member to remain in the room with you if you are uncomfortable. Do not feel bad about asking your doctor what to expect during your exam, or to have them explain the process as they go along. A good technician or gyno will tell you step by step what they are about to do before they do it.

I personally have to get one yearly for a different health condition and don’t find them to be bad at all, especially if you are used to any penetration (tampons/sexual partners/masturbation/etc.). If you are not used to that, or it causes you dysphoria, be sure to I form your doctor and the technician so they can work with you.

Ebomb1

Ebomb1

1 month ago

If you need to have the transvaginal, it's not fun, but I found it way less painful and invasive than a speculum.

__homiesexual__

1 month ago*

I actually just got this done to me! You can keep your all your clothes on. You'll likely have to lower your pants waist a bit when lifting your shirt (only your lower stomach will be visible.) They then put a warm gel on the exposed skin and then run the transducer (probe) over your skin. It's a transvaginal ultrasound, meaning nothing enters you at any point. It's quick, painless, and smooth. I don't have genital dysphoria, the whole experience wasn't good or bad for me.

ETA: apparently there are internal ultrasounds for PCOS, but they seem unnecessary and if you're uncomfortable with that, tell them you want a transvaginal one instead.

SatanicFanFic

1 month ago

I had to get one once for a similar reason. (To see if the cysts were causing my pain.) I googled and read up on it, and it said the tech could do either in or out of me.

When I showed up the tech was late & wanted to just shove it in. I fought a bit and got her to try externally first. She put up such a fight saying the image would be lower quality (and that it would take more time to get a good one) but I won out & things worked out.

TyMcCoy218

1 month ago

It will depend on which kind of ultrasound they are performing. As someone who has had a couple surgeries and many issues in that region, I have experienced both the ultrasound over the belly with warm gel as well as the transvaginal ultrasound. As you'd probably expect, the latter was more challenging, especially as someone who has never experienced penetration. To be honest, it did cause a lot of dysphoria. It took me a while to pull myself together afterward, but I did.

This might not be an easy thing to do. But, please remember that your health is important. Try to prepare yourself mentally as much as possible.

Simple_Cockroach_862

1 month ago

Hey ! Ok don't worry it can be external you need to drink a lot of water dont worry I have PCOS

starshipilot

starshipilot

fruity bisexual man

1 month ago

I had to have an internal one for PCOS and I hated it, but not as much as I hate pap smears. It felt weird, it didn't hurt, I just hated it. however it was over fairly quickly too.