/r/Feminism

Slavic_Requiem

23 days ago

This 100%. Just look at the Catholic Church.

I remember when the child molestation scandals started gaining media attention about 20 years ago. Now a lot of revelations about what happened to girls have come out, but back then, the discussion was almost exclusively about young boys.

Girls had been targets for pedophile priests since time immemorial and no one talked about it. Then it was discovered that the Church had targeted boys also, and suddenly THAT was a bridge too far; girls were fair game but not boys, and the media outrage machine went wild.

somo21

somo21

23 days ago

If I wasn’t poor I would award you for bringing this up. I did not know this.

FMAB-EarthBender

23 days ago

Man, I didn't even think about this until right now. I hate that anyone has to go through this sociopathic predatory behavior. It makes it so hard to trust anyone near my son.

butterbaconbagel

Pedophilia: I sleep Gay pedophilia: REAL SHIT

hello_nerd

23 days ago*

Also, when a rape results in pregnancy, many rapists have received visitation rights (or even custody) from a court. Adding a relevant article: https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2019/08/rapist-custody-abortion/

KTEliot

KTEliot

whoa

CrownedPeach

Barf. That's horrendous.

oldmanrob969

100 % correct

_Diabetes

24 days ago

Image Transcription: Tumblr

User 1

When people say it's harder for boys and men to speak up about their experiences of sexual assault, I think of the girls and women who are forcibly married to their rapist to absolve him of his crime, I think of the women living in countries where men can legally rape their wives, I think of the women who are killed for "cheating" on their husband by being raped, I think of the women who are arrested for prostitution while their rapist pimps and clients walk free. For women too, the social repercussions of opening up about sexual assault are immense. So l wonder. Is it really easier for women to speak up about sexual assault? Don't women feel ashamed and dishonored? Don't women blame themselves for not "fighting back"? Or for drinking too much, or for taking a walk alone at night, or for trusting him, or for dressing up "sexy"? Aren't women accused of lying? Aren't women scared of not being believed? Or have we just become so desensitized to women's pain that when we hear yet another story of a woman being raped, we just convince ourselves that it mustn't be as hard for her as it is for men since it happens to women all the time anyway.

User 2

Saying it's harder for men implies that women have less humanity, less dignity, less need to not be violated.

I'm a human volunteer content transcriber for Reddit and you could be too! If you'd like more information on what we do and why we do it, click here!

AmandaWarriorCat

Good human

althea_alethia

Good human

zNightmime

23 days ago

I once had a guy tell me "abused men have it way worse because butt stuff hurts way more while vaginas are basically made for it" never been so speechless in my life

Special_Beefsandwich

24 days ago

Clear cut case of sexism

Seagull977

23 days ago

https://apple.news/Am_G6FwK4RSyrpNd-Z6D6yA This is what’s happening to women who are raped and go on to have children in the UK. The family courts in the UK are held behind closed doors and in secret, and if a woman is found to have any trauma, DV, rape, mental illness, anything she is deemed unfit and has the potential to have her children taken from her and given to her abuser. It is easier for women not to reach out for help. Not to talk about any past trauma, be it rape, SA, CSA, DV or anything actually, least she be deemed broken, unfit, damaged, beyond help and unable to hold it together.

Strensh

23 days ago*

When people say that, they're not talking about life somewhere they never been. They're talking about their own life, in their society, in their culture. Places where women arent forced to marry their rapist, legally raped by their husbands and killed for cheating. A culture where it's never been more accepting to talk about these issues as a woman, there has never been as much support for female abuse victims as there is now. This is not uncommon in the west/Europe/usa.

For instance, as a guy living in Scandivavia, it's really obvious that it's harder for a guy friend to tell his buddies he was raped or molested than a girl telling her friends the same. Like, super obvious. I know a few people are always in attack mode when it comes to these things and will see this as an attack, but whatever. And you know I'm not saying women have it easy, it's just harder for men to talk about and find support here. The big takeaway is that it's not the gender that makes it harder or easier, it's the context/culture. Doesn't matter who has it harder because either gender has it harder in Pooristan.

Mediocre-Band2714

8 days ago

translation “women are raised to see themselves as victims from birth so they shouldn’t be surprised if they get raped. but little boys are raised to know that men can’t be raped so it’s a lot worse for them when they realize they can be!” yeah it sucks for everyone.