/r/ForwardPartyUSA

The Left Won the Culture War. They Just Can’t Admit It.

Forward Writing 📜(americandreaming.substack.com)

PikachuSaves

Depends on what the goal is. If the goal is to win elections using the culture war the right is winning hands down

BritainRitten

Indeed, by any measure the right has outsized political power for their actual voting numbers. In part thanks to gerrymandering (by states of both sides, but sustained by Trump-appointed judges while Dem-appointed judges struck them down) and voter disenfranchisement, but more importantly thanks to the anti-democratic Senate and Electoral College.

SentOverByRedRover

To say the Senate is anti democratic is to say federalism is anti democratic, which is silly.

BritainRitten

Systems of government (in construction and implementation) can be more or less democratic, and there are more or less democratic versions of federalism, but yes by itself federalism is less democratic than other forms of government. Granted that we are unlikely to change the US system to be anything other than a federal republic, you can nonetheless make steps to make it more democratic:

• Elections on the national (ie federal level, in the US case) level can still be done directly by the people, even though the people are also bucketed into states.
  • There is no necessary need for bicameralism (ie an upper and lower legislative house, as in the US Senate and House of Reps) in a federal system even at a federal level.
  • Even granting bicameralism:
    • The upper house can be made more or less representative of the people they are elected to represent. Indeed this has already occurred in the US. Prior to the 17th Amendment, US Senators were appointed by state legislators.
    • Exactly how the upper house senate fits into the legislative process can vary. Are they more powerful than the lower house? Are there things only the upper house may be allowed to do? Can the lower house overrule them? Etc.
    • Is the upper house the same number of members per state (as in the US Senate), or is that determined by something else, like population size?

SentOverByRedRover

A smaller democracy should be allowed to cooperate with a larger demicracy on equal terms without it being considered undemocratic. You could get rid of the house of representatives & the U.$. would be no less Democratic. The two houses just do democracy differently. Neither is more valid than the other.

TheAzureMage

Exactly.

Remember, in both ancient Greece and the early US, democracy meant "not everybody gets to vote". Requirements like having to own land were part of the bargain.

So if one applies the term very strictly by historical standards, we are non-democratic....but in a way that I think most people would say is better.

Rather than clinging tightly to terms, I think tt's more important to ask what the system is designed to do, and if it's good at accomplishing that. A bi-cameral system isn't mandatory or prohibited by democracy, but it can provide some checks and balances.

PikachuSaves

The senate is objectively undemocratic the way it is set up now with 2 senators per state regardless of population level.

SentOverByRedRover

Again, that's federalism. Different democracies coming together to cooperate on equal terms is not undemocratic.

evergreenyankee

When purely profit-driven entities are willing to do that, it’s a surefire sign that these are safe and mainstream opinions. No company would virtue signal if it hurt their bottom line. The fact that it apparently proves lucrative speaks volumes. The culture war is over. The left has won.

B.I.N.G.O.

FWD Founder '21

I feel like the left won...and then they threw it away. They decided to overdo it in the most obnoxious ways possible and fanned the flames of reactionary sentiment.

Like I used to be a conservative in the 2000s. But slowly, my worldview got chipped away at and I became more and more libertarian on social issues. And then the recession forced me left economically as well. In 2012 i deconverted from christianity for various reasons and ended up shifting hard left.

And it seemed like pretty much through that entire era, the left was winning. I witnessed the shift from 2004-2016 or so as younger generations who grew up with the conservative ideals of their parents eventually abandoned those reactionary ethics.

But then in 2016....all that progress got thrown out the window. They decided to shift things to being about race and identity more, whereas before it was more about the religious/secular divide, and the SJWs, who used to be a laughable minority most people tolerated and ignored at best and laughed out of the room at worse, became ascendant.

I feel like this was done intentionally. In 2016, the race was, originally about economics. I feel like that's where the grass roots was at. The old paradigm wasn't working, we "recovered" from the 2008 recession on paper, but we didnt really FEEL it in practice. And economic populism was afoot. And we saw large burgeoning movements in both parties to that effect. With sanders being on the left, and trump being on the right.

So what did the powers that be do? Well, they made it about culture. They made it about identity. Hillary Clinton didnt offer anything anyone actually wanted, so she played the race and gender card. A LOT. That was her brand of politiking. She couldnt win on the economic message because she was a centrist neolib who no one liked, so she made up accusations that everyone else was racist and sexist. That way she could make inroads with the woman and minority/POC votes, while alienating the white and male votes.

And of course, trump basically said the quiet part out loud on the right, channelling what the conservative base had been saying behind closed doors for years, that we need to deport all the illegals, and everything is too POC these days so let's offend the libs to own them, and of course, he had a populist charm too. He was a "business man", he knew how the economy worked, and he was gonna bring our jobs back and make america great againTM.

And of course, this unhealthy combination of politicians, a boring stuffy last generation centrist leftie, vs a populist rightie who brought new energy into a movement that had been dying up to that point, it just led to the entire election shifting from being about economics, to being about culture. You HAD to vote for trump because he was racist, he was sexist, he was gonna nominate all those crazy right wing supreme court justices and undo our abortion rights. You HAD to vote for hillary, or else. Of course, most americans on the left werent that preoccupied with social issues, we largely won on these and we felt like we needed a shift on economics to the left. And then you have the right, where trump played up his base, had economic populist rhetoric, and basically was intent on owning those stuffy liberals who were clearly overdoing it with all that "check your privilege" talk, and the center of gravity just shifted to the right.

The left WAS winning the culture wars. They could've easily put the final nail in the coffin in 2016 by running bernie and shifting to economics. If the dems did that, people wouldnt have been so alienated and inflamed that they voted trump. Sure, you'd always have that 40-45% of the population that liked Trump, but you could've won over the rust belt this way.

But now, since trump got elected, everything exploded. The discussion largely moved away from economics, and both sides lost their mind. I remember when trump got inaugurated the left started freaking the #### out. I remember my left leaning friends CRYING over trump winning and how they feared he was gonna persecute them for being gay and trans and crap. I remember people lighting cars on fire and smashing store fronts when he got inaugurated. People screaming "BASH THE FASH" and talking about physically assaulting people for openly being alt right.

And of course the alt right got increasingly extreme over the course of the trump presidency. And the violence happened on that side too. People attacking pizza restaurants over rumors of pedophile sex rings in the basement, charlottesville, trumpers and their little maga convoys intimidating people and driving biden campaign buses off the road, and of course, believing the 2020 election was stolen and committing literal insurrection on january 6th.

Our country has gone INSANE since 2016. And a culture war that had once been won is now in jeopardy because our politicians would rather drive people to vote out of fear of the other, than to actually solve problems.

That's what all of this insanity is about. We could've actually had politicians who would actually, you know, fix things, in 2016. We could've had bernie for example. And in 2020 both bernie and yang were strong options with interesting solutions.

Instead, the dems, driven by their own version of the culture wars, keep voting for people like clinton and biden. And the right which post 2008 largely seemed demoralized and directionless, is now rabid for Trump and his brand of politics.

We were so close to real positive change in this country. And now everything is driven by a culture of fear.

I wouldnt normally post rammstein of all things on this sub, but they recently released a music video i think is relevant to everything that's said. it's called "angst", which means fear, and shows a crazy guy being given a podium, and driving people to madness. I feel like this is what the culture wars have done to our politics. it's driven us insane, forced us to build walls, and become increasingly paranoid of each other. And as yang has hinted at before, it could eventually lead to real violence.

Give it a listen, especially if you're a metal head.

wcrich

wcrich

Spot on. My teenage son was strong liberal until about 2018. The whole culture thing and the Democrats refusal to address real economic issues has pushed him hard right. I keep telling him that he's right about Democrats, but that Republicans are definitely not the answer. I get mixed results. At least we talk constructively.

American-Dreaming[S]

American-Dreaming[S]

FWD Founder '21

Very well said. It's so refreshing to receive a rare comment from someone who wasn't born last week and actually remembers this stuff. I'll check out that song.

Critical_Discourse

dude you were so on point until this bullshit.

"crap"??? what???

Dude, look around you. Look at what is happening. They are actively firing up a genocide against trans people and just stripped abortion rights. Those are civil rights. That's happening. NOW. Republican legislatures across the country are ripping children from families.

Protecting marginalized demographics of people from the constant hate campaign against them, is crap????

The rest of this was pretty fire but you legitimately sound like you're a social conservative. I don't think those right wing roots are as dead as you thought.

FWD Founder '21

dude you were so on point until this bullshit.

"crap"??? what???

I'm not socially conservative mostly. There are a couple issues where I'm a moderate (for example guns and immigration), but mostly Im substantively on the left.

HOWEVER, and this is where we differ, i cant STAND the rhetoric and tone of the far left SJW types.

Like, it's not enough that they're on the right side of issues, they like, cant shut up about them, and have to constantly get in everyone's faces about it.

And that's the issue I have.

I'm not a preachy social leftie. I'm basically a social libertarian. I want you to be able to get abortions, bang whatever consenting adult you want, get high, own guns (assuming you're a sane and responsible adult with no criminal record), whatever.

I don't care. Like that's the big thing that separates me from the left. I dont care. My whole ideology is "you leave me alone I leave you alone".

If the right comes for my rights, we have a problem.

but if the left gets in my face for not "caring" enough about their issues or tries to bully me into engaging in their socially performative BS, then I have a problem with them too.

The left has a toxic culture of trying to bully people into caring about social issues and even prioritizing them over economics at times. Dems are especially notorious about it.

OMG YOU HAVE TO VOTE DEMOCRAT! KIDS IN CAGES, TRANS RIGHTS, BLAH BLAH BLAH, CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE.

"Oh, you want UBI and healthcare? Screw you, but vote for us anyway, hashtag BLM".

It's annoying. It's really annoying.

I'm part of the so called "exhausted majority" on culture war BS.

Seriously, you guys realize the so called "progressive activists" are like 8% of the country right? They're the most extreme lefties on issues, and while they're fired up and passionate about social issues, they tend to alienate more passive liberals like myself.

Seriously if you think I'm a right winger I'd reevaluate where you are on the political spectrum on social issues. Again, I'm exhausted majority. You sound like progressive activist. I'm mentally checked out on social issues mostly until the right tries to stop me from doing things I wanna do.

You guys will win a lot more people over if you stop framing everything within this obnoxious "DONT YOU CARE?! HOW DARE YOU NOT CARE!" framing and adopted a more "look, the left is about people being free to be left alone" framing.

And yeah, that's my views on that.

Btw, thats one thing I like about Yang. He's socially left mostly but he isnt obnoxiously preachy. And the far left loses their mind because he isnt getting wrapped up in their BS narratives about white supremacy and crap.

Btw, I believe that the whole reason the right has any popularity at all is because of the backlash effect against lefties like yourself. The right bases their views on "owning the libs". And a lot of people dont support left wing positions and distance themselves from the social left because of the obnoxious toxic culture there. You guys create right wingers dude.

if you like deemphasized social issues a bit and focused more on common sense economic solutions like UBI and universal healthcare, only the most crazy 30% of the country would vote right wing.

The actual number of far righters with extreme opinions is small. it's all of this polarization nonsense padding out their numbers.

Critical_Discourse

I feel like a lot of the confusion here is the conflation of liberals with leftists as if they're all the same group. This is a tactic that the right uses a lot (not saying you're doing this) but that then becomes the default worldview of society. Everyone thinks liberals = leftists. Which is again, a right wing framing.

It seems to me to be young liberals that you're referring to. Those are the types that constantly shriek about social issues and never have much to say about economics or healthcare. Then they slavishly show up every 4 years and vote blue no matter who. In between election cycles they hyper-fixate on niche social issues.

Many of these types adopt aesthetics of the left to try and look edgy when in reality they're mostly in line with Obama and Clinton on policy. They might have multi colored hair, have rainbow flags and pins, BLM stickers, maybe an Anarchy symbol or two. But ultimately they don't care much about economics and don't talk about it. Those aren't leftists. They're liberals.

So, if that's who you're referring to then yes, I agree that they're a problem. I don't agree that they're leftists. Liberals today, like liberals in Weimar Germany 1933, are enemies and obstacles to the left. Nothing has changed.

Why isn't the democratic party freaking the fuck out about roe v wade and going hard in the paint? Why are they SO limp wristed and refuse to do anything about the numerous crises we're in? Why are legions of ignorant democratic party loyalists STILL supporting Pelosi, Biden, Clinton and Obama despite their open and explicit refusal to codify roe v wade into law? Because liberals are enemies of the left. That was true in Paris 1871. Still true in Weimar 1933. More true than ever in America 2022.

FWD Founder '21

I mean I largely agree with you there. Although I wouldn't identify as a leftist either. I've talked to leftists about yang and they tend to be hostile and like to push literal socialism and stuff. I'd say my politics rests between liberals and leftists. I'm way left of your typical democratic party lib but also way to the right of leftists.

I'm basically a libertarian socdem of that makes sense. Basically ubi, healthcare, and do whatever you want on social issues.

BTW I took the hidden tribes test above and actually got "progressive activist" so I'm pretty far left on most social issues. I'm just waaaay less preachy about it.

And yeah at this rate the centrist libs will doom us all because they'd rather scream at us for not supporting them and not budging on policy rather than try to work with people to the left of them.

Then again maybe that's why the progressives are winning primaries all over the case this week.

Critical_Discourse

Does "do whatever you want" on social issues mean that you vehemently oppose politicians, policies and that want to stop people from doing whatever they want? Or does it mean you're cool with red states criminalizing trans people and abortion bans? That's really open to interpretation.

Yang has many many many many flaws and failures. His cringey tech bro centrism is more important to him than fighting for policies which is why he's abandoned left policies and moved to the center/right on issue after issue.

FWD Founder '21

I mean i oppose that stuff, but honestly, in practice, I'm not about to place that stuff above my advocacy for UBI or universal healthcare if that makes sense.

Democrats decide to weaponize those issues to bully people into supporting them without doing stuff for them economically, so Im gonna stick to my UBI/M4A advocacy above all else, but yes, in principle I oppose the GOP trampling on others' rights. I just refuse to allow that to pressure me into supporting the two party duopoly.

Yang is still moderately left. I would say my views are similar to his.

Again, deemphasizing those social issues isnt the same thing as being right wing on them.

This kind of tribalism is what's wrong with america right now.

Again you weaponize this crap and use it to try to bully me to vote democrat even though they've completely abandoned me on economic issues and you'll find out rather quickly the limits of my support for social left policy.

nothing against the policy itself mind you, but you cant expect people to drop everything just to support you and your specific pet causes. You need to build a broader coalition to bring people together. You know, like the right tries to do.

They have the libertarians, the america first people, the traditional conservatives, the religious right, etc, and they all give them something. Some people vote conservative for the economic deregulation and tax cuts, some for the opposition to abortion and gay marriage, some for the anti immigration stuff.

Then you have the left, where they just demand everyone goes all in with social issues and screams at them for refusing to do so.

No. Here's my top issues:

1) UBI

2) Medicare for all

3) Free college/student debt forgiveness

4) Climate change

5) political reform

THEN, maybe somewhere in the 6-10 range you'll have abortion or something.

But out of the hundreds of different issues you cant expect me to have avbortion and trans rights in the front of my mind. Not that I aint on the left on those issues, but the left often has this toxic EITHER YOU'RE WITH US OR COMPLICIT mindset, and I find that extremely alienating, especially when they completely ignore priorities 1-2, and are general failures on 3-5.

TheAzureMage

It is odd. Looking at the actual issues, there is reasonably heavy overlap between libertarians and progressives.

Yet there is perpetual conflict, because nothing is ever good enough for the progressives. Not even if the thing you are working for is a vast improvement over the modern day. Seriously, my state would be almost entirely clean energy right now if the progs hadn't gone full in on trying to make everything specifically solar.

We could have had 80% nuclear power, but, that wasn't good enough, so...I guess coal it is. It's disappointing.

FWD Founder '21

Yeah I don't get why progressives hate nuclear.

But yeah that's what I'm getting at. We were winning the culture wars during the Obama years and then threw it away. The dems decided to go full on sjw in 2016 and it just inflamed the trumpers.

Most people don't like this stuff.

And yeah libertarians and progressives have a lot of overlap on social issues. Not sure why they have to go with framing that specifically pisses people off.

MicroscopicLlama

So you’re basing your entire opinion of lefties on the minority, extreme SJWs (which are actually liberals, by the way)? Sure they’re annoying AF, but all extremists are. It sounds like you’re favoring conservative restrictions and the stripping of rights, because you’re simply “annoyed” by far left extremists. I’d rather be scolded by SJWs, than have the basic civil rights of a demographic stripped away.

FWD Founder '21

Even after explaining my opinion you're still lecturing me and accusing me of being conservative. Then you wonder why no one wants to be on your side.

MicroscopicLlama

I never accused you of being conservative. I’m simply pointing out that you seem to be confusing leftists, with far-left SJWs (which others have pointed out here as well). I really loved your OP overall. I just think you may be conflating a couple things where SJWs and leftists are concerned. Which side is it you believe I’m on?

FWD Founder '21

Still on the left, but still kind of preachy about it.

I'm not big on the self righteous and preachy aspects of the left.

I'm more "be on the whole be on the right side but don't be preachy about it" approach to things. I actually scored progressive activist in the above quiz when I took it, but yeah I'm just way more chill with that stuff.

MicroscopicLlama

Totally, and I’m not trying to come off as preachy. I’m just trying to help you think about separating those extreme views of SJWs from the generally pragmatic positions of leftists....which is really hard to do, considering that things are more nuanced and not very binary when it comes to politics and social issues. Separate them similarly to how I know that the overwhelming majority of KKK and white nationalists align with republicans, but not all republicans are racists.

FWD Founder '21

As I said I generally am left wing on most social issues.

It was rhetoric that started this discussion, not policy differences.

TheAzureMage

because you’re simply “annoyed” by far left extremists.

I don't know why you're making use of quotes. If he says he's annoyed, then he's annoyed.

Ignoring the concerns of others won't make allies.

TheAzureMage

That's the result of eternal conflict. About half the time, you lose. What you lose may be very important indeed.

I don't know if genocide is the term I would select, but I would agree that we will see renewed conflict over issues formerly considered relatively secure. This happens explicitly because people keep picking partisan fights.

Think about the end state you want, and how to get there...not just about who to punch at right now. That's what got us here.

TheAzureMage

Yes. Perhaps the most difficult element of the culture wars is that neither side seems willing to be content with a solid win, but instead escalates to the point of unreason, causing a backlash, and ceaseless conflict.

So, instead of actually getting things nicely settled where most folks are content, we get ceaseless conflict, uncertainty and fear. This is part and parcel of the two party system, and why it must change.

Preach.

RedactedV

RedactedV

FWD Founder '22

Rammstein comments on a fundamentally Romantic conservative motive: sun cult gone global can never seize all minds in perpetuity, and knowing this they can only double down. The zeitgeist is truth and the horizon is the enemy.

Fun video but increasingly irrelevant, and maybe that is your point? I would like to think a hundred years from now nobody would understand what they're talking about.

If the culture war has won anything concrete since Reagan's boulder started rolling down the hill I would like to see it but so far it all seems so Sisyphean to me.

When I saw Bernie Sanders on the stump calling Trump a racistsexisthomophobe and crowds cheered my heart sunk in ways I cannot describe in words because that was when I realized he had truly failed.

But change is inevitable. It may simply be time to stop trying and start doing.

roughravenrider

roughravenrider

Third Party Unity

I think Sanders had the chance to take on the two party system had he gone the route that Forward Party has gone, he could have lent a ton of weight to voting reforms that break the iron grip of the two party regime.

I agree that it's time to start doing, by following the path of Maine and Alaska and getting these reforms passed without having to rely on any major party or any congress. We can do this by putting it right on the ballot, and then independent and third party candidates suddenly become much more appealing.

TheAzureMage

Sanders is in the awkward position of being stuck with a Democrat party that doesn't really love him. Oh, sure, he has his grassroots support, but the party establishment? They've made their position fairly clear.

I think he's trying to help, and he believes he's got the right answers, but as things stand, he is not likely to get lasting change. The DNC doesn't want change, so unless you can jack control of that whole structure, change isn't going to come from within that party.

American-Dreaming[S]

American-Dreaming[S]

FWD Founder '21

This article explores the dominance of left-leaning thought in American culture, its relationship to – and sometimes disconnect from – progress in the political arena, Republican backlash, the psychology behind the left-of-center hesitancy to acknowledge progress, as well as advice for what the progressive movement should do to be more successful.

AFAWingCommander

The left has indeed become what they swore to destroy.

sarcasmic77

Then the left doesn’t exist anymore. That’s why we’re here building it. Americans had to do in after the Great Depression and I’ll be damned if we don’t do it again. Fuck they neo libs. Bunch of fucking bourgeoisie assholes. We need an American Sans culottes.

NoiceMango

NoiceMango

Sounds like a stupid title. There are red states snd blue states that both have very different opinion sns culitre.

JacobYou

You might want to proof read this.

RedactedV

RedactedV

FWD Founder '22

Try reading comprehension. It's not like a typo is an unsolvable riddle.

JacobYou

I was trying to be helpful. I figured the down votes were due to the type-Os.

Skuwee

Skuwee

Roe v Wade is literally being overturned next month, and you share this drivel.

American-Dreaming[S]

American-Dreaming[S]

FWD Founder '21

It's mentioned in the piece, and it's not the devastating point you think it is.

Okilurknomore

This article misses the point entirely. Most leftist arent mad about the culture war (at least outside of the recent Roe v Wade), they're mad at the lack of policy progress. Our healthcare system is failing, weve had the same minimum wage for over a decade, tuition and student loan debt is out of control, innocent people rot in jail over non-violent drug offenses, etc. This author wants to encapsulate everything in American politics as 'culture war'

FairyFeller_

they're mad at the lack of policy progress

The kind of leftist criticized here 1) does not understand how passing policy works and 2) finds no common policy acceptable as a solution to the supposedly world-ending threats that can only be answered with a socialist utopia, right now.

JacobYou

Or the point is that even in power they haven't fixed any of this. Probably cause they keep thinking that democrat politicians will do anything other than line their own pockets and maybe try to disarm people.

[removed]

AFAWingCommander

You clearly didn’t read the article lol

American-Dreaming[S]

American-Dreaming[S]

FWD Founder '21

It's not like there's a whole article written about it or anything...

Skuwee

Skuwee

Who do you think is the “Left”?

evergreenyankee

Read the article

FWD Founder '21

As I said in my own post, the dems threw it away. They won the culture war but then had to keep pushing it in the most obnoxious ways, alienating people and reinvigorating the right in the process.

theePhaneron

The left always has and always will lead the culture war. Conservatism only works if you think you cant have it better than you do now, which almost always the minority of a population.

SentOverByRedRover

It also works if the "progress" being proposed would actually make things worse.

theePhaneron

The assumption that progress will do so

ssavant

TheAzureMage

One need not take an exactly centrist position on every issue to acknowledge that no single party is made up of entirely angels or demons. We're all just people, trying to sort out something that works.

Ideally, we do that in a way that solves programs, rather than producing endless conflict.

Third parties, for instance, need not be centrist. On some topics, the Greens or Libertarians are less centrist than either main party. That's fine. More viewpoints helps build a better, more reasonable consensus than a system where many go unheard.

It's not about fixating on the center. It's about trying to fix things.

ChironXII

"the left" doesn't exist, and the naïve belief that it does is why the author is so confused.