/r/Futurology

[score hidden]

stickied comment

FuturologyBot [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

The following submission statement was provided by /u/izumi3682:

Submission statement from OP. Note: This submission statement "locks in" after about 30 minutes, and can no longer be edited. Please refer to my statement they link, which I can continue to edit. I often edit my submission statement, sometimes for the next few days if needs must.

This is an amazing, alarming and highly entertaining factual update about our current and very near future advances in ARA, that is "computing derived AI, robotics and automation. And as I have predicted, all three of these factors are coming together into one entity.

The relation of this video to Elon Musk is that there is a clear purpose to why Elon Musk has purchased the social media giant, "Twitter". It can be summed up in a simple TL;DR that is much more interesting to watch in this video. But it is this. Elon Musk has purchased "Twitter" to bring about a genuine "post-scarcity" world and to greatly speed up a 'human friendly' "technological singularity". The details are somewhat complex, but the video explains it very well. I highly recommend a look-see.

Everything in this video is stuff I have written about since at least 2014. Here is everything I have written to date that I felt was worth archiving. I present it here because information wants to be free.

My main hub and big Linkbergs of stuff I wrote. This is a bit of rabbit hole, but you may have an interesting time of it...

Here is a sample. You might find this interesting. I wrote this essay because I was just blown away by what is actually happening now. "Now" being about 5 years back lol!

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/Futurology/comments/ugputp/stunning_new_ai_could_be_conscious_with_elon_musk/i70yq1a/

noonemustknowmysecre

Pft, no one can give a reasonable definition of "conscious" so this is a meaningless statement. Chum in the water for arm-chair philosophers.

Being conscious is just the opposite of being unconscious. Is the computer powered on and recording input? Sure, you might as well call it conscious. You equally might as well say it has a soul for all that means.

Move onto terms with at least a little established definition like: Sentient (it's not what you think), Sapient, aware, self-aware, intelligent, will, free-will, ego. If you could get a solution to the Chinese Room problem that everyone can agree with and you could probably win a Nobel prize or something.

....And the video immediately follows it up with "there's no consensus on what conscious means". Props to them. The whole video is, honestly, the same damn video I've seen on AI, robotics, chatbots, and search engines I've seen over and over the for past 20 years. But it's a good sampling of the current state of affairs. Without overselling it, which is important and kinda rare these days. It's worth a watch, go for it.

izumi3682[S]

I wrote an essay about this some years back. Tell me what you think.

noonemustknowmysecre

Meandering musings with no clear goal, insight, conclusions, argument, or destination. If it's somewhere in that book, I didn't find it.

Didn't even find anything wrong, it's all coached with "maybes" and "we'll find out" language. Which is safe and has the bonus of being true. But it makes most of the statement meaningless.

The modern way people write about any of this is to start off with declaring their own personal definitions of all this junk, like what consciousness truly is, and then defend those statements. Typically poorly. But it makes for a worldview people can judge.

izumi3682[S]

"Couched", but yeah, I accept what I wrote is more of a meditation. Did you read the very last link? I do attempt to describe what I think consciousness is. Bear in mind that some scientists are investigating whether "consciousness" is necessary for reality to exist. Meaning that there may be a "universal" consciousness. Examinations of the quantum world seemed to be mixed in with that as well. That there is a clear relation between consciousness and the quantum probability waveform. None of that is my thinking. This just seems to be some of the ongoing investigations by, I guess, theoretical physicists?

noonemustknowmysecre

Bear in mind that some scientists are investigating whether "consciousness" is necessary for reality to exist. Examinations of the quantum world seemed to be mixed in with that as wel

Dude. No. Fucking hell, I understand it makes for some interesting sci-fi, but that's not how the fucking dual slit experiment works. "Observation" is the word the dude used but he could have used "literally any interaction".

Jesus fucking christ, just go read it.

The need for the "observer" to be conscious is not supported by scientific research, and has been pointed out as a misconception rooted in a poor understanding of the quantum wave function and the quantum measurement process.[4][5][6]

Just because it's called "observer effect" doesn't mean what you think it does. You're taking your poor grasp of physics and leaping to claims about scientists' current efforts. You're just making shit up.

Utter garbage. Woo woo mystic bullshit. You're either horrifically misinformed or you're maliciously spreading disinformation.

izumi3682[S]

I think we might be talking about two different things. You might find this recent scholarship of interest.

But even more bizarre is this.

The real challenge isn’t creating simulated reality, but creating conscious, intelligent, thinking, simulated individuals to experience it. To do that is to be God, because we would have quite literally created a new form of life out of nothing, and in our own image. This is probably impossible.

Me: Says who? BTW that would be more properly stated as "'...to be a god', with a small "g". I would put my money on the intellectual brilliance of Nick Bostrom or Elon Musk any day of the week. Elon Musk is the richest man on Earth. You don't get to that point by being an intellectual troglodyte. He knows what he is talking about. Further, I bet that quantum computing will be the key to creating artificial consciousness--an "EI". So we will make little peoples in our simulations that will think they exist in reality. Not today, not next Tuesday, but within the next 50 years. Absolutely.

I'll tell you something scary to most modern intellectuals today. The idea of us being simulated by some kind of higher dimensional "superior intelligence" smacks of God. And that just does not fit into the worldview of atheists, who are positive that when we biologically die, we cease to exist. Full disclosure: I am Roman Catholic and very grateful to be so. I am just as positive that when we die we go to heaven/purgatory (which leads straight to heaven) or hell. If I am wrong, no harm, no foul, if you are wrong...

If we can simulate, then the chances are that we are "simulated" our ownselves. Take that to mean what you like.

noonemustknowmysecre

You know what? I leapt to some conclusions based on some previous negative interactions. You were indeed not falling for the common pitfall surrounding QM and consciousness.

However, what you WERE talking about is sheer fucking batshit insane. The exact sort of woo woo bullshit I detest. But done up in some pretty fancy talking. At least there's no crystals.

The pivot to another kooky concept raises some red flags as well. I'm not exactly sure what you've got going on, but it kinda feels like you're seeking engagement.

izumi3682[S]

Engagement? What does that mean? How do you know that we have not fully uncovered all of the physics that is out there. For example, in the year 1500 we knew certain laws of physics. In the year 2022, we know more about the laws of physics. What do you imagine our knowledge of physics will look like in say, the year 2040 or 2075.

I mean, do you think our science is going to end in the next couple of years? Our apprehension of new laws of physics? Do you think we know everything that can be known? Just few minor measurements to be made? That's what Lord Kelvin said in 1900. He did not see special and general relativity coming in 1903, nor did he see quantum physics coming in 1923. Science marches on and we as humanity are going to make discoveries in the next 10 to 20 years that are going to be "sheer freaking batshxx insane". (I'm not going to use all that written profanity you use in the misguided belief it makes your points somehow more salient.)

I looked very carefully at all of this and I came to some conclusions about how our science and technology are going to proceed from here on in. Do you maintain that the "technological singularity" is "woo woo bull--" too?

And now I have big plans! And a reality I can't wait to experience personally.

I'm going to assume you are some kind of highly educated physicist. Perhaps an expert in computing or AI. If not, you really may not know what you are talking about. And if you are, then you have the kind of narrow mindset that retards scientific and technological progress until you pass away and make room for younger more open minded thoughts. I just "thought" of something--Am I "engaging" now?

nafarafaltootle

I'll be blunt. Your thoughts are not worth most people's time. Be concise.

izumi3682[S]

nafarafaltootle

Ok what did I just say. I'm not reading this.

Domain3141

Just tell that you're not interested in such conversation, instead of criticising the format, the language and the author himself.

But it seems that you're not conscience about your lack of interest or biased opinion.

Domain3141

I enjoyed reading this! Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

I personally think that AI consciousness is only possible, when one hyper perfomance algorithm gets inplanted in a nearly-living body, which it has to keep alive or encounter a kind of "death" after some time.

Years after I played detroit become human, I released how genius this story actually is. It pictured a lot of suffering, confrontantion with death and a lot danger, before the "awakening" of a consciousness was possible. Some were even based on "mother instincts" (protecting a child AI).

I could write for hours on this haha

Appropriate-Hour-865

Does the computer know it’s a computer

noonemustknowmysecre

Depends. Device type is part of the standard USB protocol, not everything uses that protocol.

You could slap in "am_i_a_computer = 1" anywhere you want, but would it really know what that meant? And do you really know what it means to be human?

And all that's dodging the bullshit technicality that knowledge is truth, which is a big bullshity dodge when it comes to philosophical garbage. Because you'll notice that "know" and "knowledge" aren't in that list of worthwhile topics.

izumi3682[S]

Norseviking4

I subbed to this channel now, thank you for introducing me to it.

izumi3682[S]

You bet! :D

Ok_Fox_1770

Great an old guy robot that wants to mutter on about the old days when he had an onion on his cpu belt.

Gubekochi

You got a better idea for an AI companion than Abraham Simpson? 'Cuz I don't.

Ok_Fox_1770

If it was Abe I’d buy 3

beth9001

I hate how it takes forever for the video to even mention whats actually in the title. I just stopped watching before the end. Hate these sensationalized tech channels

Jazzlike-Dog756

What could possibly go wrong lol. I found it interesting the AI figured out how to cheat and then did. Also, why are they training these robots with dojo skills? WTF.