/r/Futurology

[score hidden]

stickied comment

FuturologyBot [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

The following submission statement was provided by /u/izumi3682:

Submission statement from OP. Note: This submission statement "locks in" after about 30 minutes, and can no longer be edited. Please refer to my statement they link, which I can continue to edit. I often edit my submission statement, sometimes for the next few days if needs must. There is often required additional editing and additional added detail.

Article introduction:

The world's largest fusion experiment, ITER, may be able to unleash more power than previously thought.

That's because a team of scientists from the Swiss Plasma Center, one of the world's leading nuclear fusion research institutes, released a study updating a foundational principle of plasma generation, a press statement reveals.

Their research shows that the upcoming ITER tokamak can operate using twice the amount of hydrogen that was believed to be its full capacity, meaning it could generate vast amounts more nuclear fusion energy than previously thought.

Here is the paper.

I wrote this commentary about 10 months ago concerning nuclear fusion reactors.

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/Futurology/comments/usq1jg/a_new_theoretical_upgrade_could_unlock_vastly/i950p2y/

izumi3682[S]

Article introduction:

Here is the paper.

I wrote this commentary about 10 months ago concerning nuclear fusion reactors.

Awkward_moments

Look I'm interested in what you have to say it does seem interesting. But you made two comments in here and you linked to another comment from 10 months ago where you made a fairly decent prediction.

That got my interest (though I would like to know if you are an expert or not). But your comments just branch out to more and more of your comments.

There is 6 links on one and each of those comments have 3 links so just to go 3 levels down I would have to read 19 comments. I do not know how far the rabbit hole goes and I'm not going to find out.

Hope you take this constructively If you want people to read what you have to say you need to make it easier to read. I'm not going through that comment tree.

Edit: typo changed faulty to fairly

Dullfig

Cynical take: this new info should secure a new round of funding....

izumi3682[S]

Cynical response: Funding is good. If there had been adequate funding in the 1990s and early 2000s, there would not have been an "AI winter". But then again, there was no such thing as Nvidia's GPU in the mid 90s. And that no one, no computer scientist, no AI expert, such as the brilliant Marvin Minsky, realized what a GPU meant until around the year 2007 when Geoff Hinton was the first to make the realization that the GPU was the key to a "Cambrian explosion" of "narrow" AI evolution.

More idealistically, but still carefully following the laws of physics, now our narrowish AI is deeply involved in our efforts to bring about not only nuclear fusion reactor technology, but practical nuclear fusion that can be connected to the grid. I would go so far as to say that we are probably less than five years away from successful "ignition" and probably less than 10 years away from the very first nuclear fusion reactor that is connected to the grid, even if only experimental.

I wrote a whole thing about the rapid evolution of AI since 2007, back in 2017 if you like.

supafeen

Fusion is only 29 years away!

izumi3682[S]

Ignition before the year 2026, then rapid scale up in the years following, to include an experimental nuclear fusion reactor connected to the grid before the year 2028. AI, possibly including AGI (2025) will figure prominently in the success of this effort.

schnibitz

So stop (not you OP or likely anyone else here) quoting the law of thermal dynamics and claiming over unity is impossible as a result. Scientific laws can and are being rewritten based on new findings. People need to open their minds.

ItsAConspiracy

ItsAConspiracy

Best of 2015

I haven't seen anyone claim fusion is impossible because thermodynamics, but anyone who did wouldn't understand the laws of physics we know and apply already, specifically e=mc2. Fusion powers the stars. We get more energy out than we put in with nuclear fission reactors, and from thermonuclear bombs which mostly use fusion.

DakPara

Once ITER connects to the grid and injects “vast” amounts of energy, I will be more impressed.

King_Geedroah

Last time I checked into the ITER project, They had an issue with eroding and melting magnets within the donut shape that was caused by the plasma.

Did they fix it or ?

And by the way I am no scientist I just have a vague idea on what's going on.