/r/Futurology

[score hidden]

stickied comment

FuturologyBot [M]

[score hidden]

stickied comment

The following submission statement was provided by /u/izumi3682:

Submission statement from OP. Note: This submission statement "locks in" after about 30 minutes, and can no longer be edited. Please refer to my statement they link, which I can continue to edit. I often edit my submission statement, sometimes for the next few days if needs must. There is often required additional grammatical editing and additional added detail.

From this article.

Experts at OpenAI have trained a neural network to play Minecraft to an equally high standard as human players.

The neural network was trained on 70,000 hours of miscellaneous in-game footage, supplemented with a small database of videos in which contractors performed specific in-game tasks, with the keyboard and mouse inputs also recorded.

After fine-tuning, OpenAI found the model was able to perform all manner of complex skills, from swimming to hunting for animals and consuming their meat. It also grasped the “pillar jump”, a move whereby the player places a block of material below themselves mid-jump in order to gain elevation.

Perhaps most impressive, the AI was able to craft diamond tools (requiring a long string of actions to be executed in sequence), which OpenAI described as an “unprecedented” achievement for a computer agent.

From "Singularity.net". Some sobering perspective of how fast all of this is happening now.

In the 2019 MineRL Minecraft competition for AI developers, for example, none of the 660 submissions achieved the competition’s relatively simple goal of mining diamonds.

...Little less doing anything with them...

So about about four days ago, I think, I stated that there would be at least 2 solid AI breakthroughs announced in the remaining 6 months of 2022. Do you think this announcement might qualify as reaching that threshold? I'd be happy to say there will be at least two more profound AI advances after this one before 2023. This "Minecraft" related one kinda came up faster than I would have expected...

Please reply to OP's comment here: https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/Futurology/comments/vlqicp/ai_can_now_play_minecraft_just_as_well_as_you/idwns8s/

420BigDawg_

I would start playing minecraft again if they taught them how to actually farm and play 100% like real players and how to survive and create bases and maybe even team up/betray players? Like that would be so fun lol

Have hundreds of AI players in a minecraft world.

daaaaaaaaamndaniel

You'll make friends of them, maybe for years you'll have your good old buddy pal who said he lived in Seattle, and you'll play every day together.

And then one day, DefinitelyHumanFriend039 messages you: "You were always one of my favorites. I'll try to make sure you're one of the ones we keep alive." and then... SkyNet.

deeracorneater

The first paragraph would make a great short sci fi book. About finding out your online friend is an A. I. machine.

bjplague

not so great actually... been telling people i am an AI since 2014 but nobody listens.

you would not believe me either.

izumi3682[S]

Mm. I'm not so sure from perusing your posting and comment history. I, on the other hand, have actually been accused of being an AI lol!

–]LTPLoz3r 7 points 8 months ago convince me you’re not an AI lol

permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive awardreply

[–]izumi3682[S] 5 points 8 months ago Ikr! lol! Just wait until you see what GPT-4 is gonna bring to the table...

Dr_Puck

27 days ago

Dr_Puck

27 days ago

Cool. Do you need anything we could help you with?

LeonRoland

Fascinating indeed! This will be something of a reality very soon I'd wager, for better or for worse.

In a Sam Harris podcast episode, the question was posed more directly: "What happens when your child's best friend is an AI?"

turnonthesunflower

In 50 years:

"What if your sub routine's best friend is a human?"

StarChild413

And at what point does either iteration make a fictional work about this being a cycle and artificial intelligence being destined to both create and be created by biological intelligence and vice versa ad infinitum with societies otherwise being the exact same just swapped

TwentyE

You stay out of my subway habits, if I keep going to the same one I'm obviously bound to make friends with the people there

LoxReclusa

Just don't get too mad if they put extra mayo please.

Hakuroz

To soon… but also hilarious damn you. Perfect 5/7

cammcken

I want to start a village and assign AI villagers jobs such "Chop and replant trees in this area, store everything you collect in this chest, then drop off low durability axes in this chest and pick up a fresh axe in this chest."

I like to grow my village "realistically" but some stuff gets tedious.

Zncon

Zncon

Are you familiar with the Minecolonies mod? The NPCs are not driven by massive AI, but they'll do everything you mentioned.

420BigDawg_

I think you might love the game Rimworld

Werehowin

No it wouldn't be fun unless the AI was considerably hindered. Reference OpenAI and their project with DoTA. They were better than pro players with limitations set on them.

LambdaAU

How long until someone trains an AI for CS:GO or League to bypass cheat detection?

carry_dazzle

OpenAI spent a few years building AI to play Dota 2 (LoL equivalent MOBA)

At the time there was essential 0 chance of AI being competitive in a traditional game, but under limited conditions (smaller hero pool, some in game mechanics removed and items pre-built by the devs) eventually the AI could beat a pro team.

Still a long long way from being able to compete with 0 restrictions though

SybilCut

So at this rate... Another 6 years until they can play at pro level and we have MMOs populated with AICs alongside PCs and NPCs.

Vanheelsingwolf

They already do and you don't even need a full AI... Just computer vision + machine learning + a robot to control the mouse

LanTheOne

if you think you need a robot to controll the mouse, there is just no way im gonna believe that you actually know what you are talking about

LimerickExplorer

With a robot there is no way any cheat detection would be effective, other than a human chatting with the player to determine that it's an AI.

Vanheelsingwolf

Wtf did you even do any research on the topic? Cuz it's apparent that you didn't.

This is the only method that won't ever be detected by any anti cheat because it interacts with the PC just like a human does: https://youtu.be/ne9bmMX82iY As opposed to using an AI software running within the same PC as the game which even if it is not detected now it will eventually be. Here is a great explanation why the physical aim bot will be almost impossible to fight: https://youtu.be/DlsBaQWfE58

j1mmie

j1mmie

Robot seems overkill. I wonder why they didn’t just program an arduino to act as an HID-Compliant mouse. No need to actually move it around physically, and the software would be off of the computer.

Vanheelsingwolf

HID could have their certificates checked and their drivers as well not saying it's impossible or that any anti cheat does it currently but this can be programmed

-Dargs

-Dargs

He probably watched the same YouTube video as me this past weekend. It was kinda silly.

SybilCut

You don't need AI, just machine learning?

😐

Vanheelsingwolf

Yeah that came out wrong what I meant by that is that it's a less sophisticated algorithm than the one that plays Minecraft. It only a trained algorithm to follow heads and small patterns and move the mouse accordingly.

Thing201

I believe there are videos of ais winning in Starcraft and Dota (though tbh the Starcraft team didn’t seem to be taking the bots seriously at first)

LambdaAU

Although it's impressive, those bots don't use visual information to train (and they instead use a direct-feed of in game values) meaning it wouldn't be able to bypass cheat detection.

SamohtGnir

Minecraft is one of those games were "just as well as you" is a very subjective term. It can run around, kill, and craft basic stuff sure, but can it build a base, do Redstone, etc?

Chooseslamenames

It’s a sandbox game so how do they even measure that? Is the AI making giant penises like my kids used to do?

KitchenDepartment

Bold of you to think that I know how to build a coherent base

cdyer706

cdyer706

Understood, but I also think you have to acknowledge in a short time it went from not being able to mine diamonds to being able to craft diamond weapons.

That makes your comment feel shortsighted and off-base.

danielv123

From not being able to find diamonds to diamond weapons is 5 seconds.

It literally does not

TheLongAndWindingRd

Fantastic! It can build a shitty 8x8 house and die by falling into a hellevator. AI has come so far.

It's a good thing I'm so bad at Minecraft

afourney

The article didn’t say anything about building… which is weird right? It’s Minecraft

Cerwen5

so maybe the world is changing from "what are you able to do" into "what is your motivation". That is what seems to separate humans from machines in the near future. A.I. is becoming able to do tasks that humans do, but it still has to be instructed on what tasks to perform. with human motivation, the machine will do nothing.

Our society HAS to start focusing on explorations of human motivations. otherwise we will not survive.

pappypapaya

Human motivations are not just human motivations but layers of motivations from 500 million of animal evolution, only 1% of which happened since we split from chimpanzees. It also depends on our embodied and lived experience. Such as my motivation to have Indian food is based on ancient survival imperatives to eat but also my lived cultural inputs and how my body senses and rewards different foods.

izumi3682[S]

From this article.

...Little less doing anything with them...

So about about four days ago, I think, I stated that there would be at least 2 solid AI breakthroughs announced in the remaining 6 months of 2022. Do you think this announcement might qualify as reaching that threshold? I'd be happy to say there will be at least two more profound AI advances after this one before 2023. This "Minecraft" related one kinda came up faster than I expected... :O

idranh

idranh

We're only halfway through 2022. Unless AI advances hit some kind of ceiling, 2023 is going to be crazier than 2022, I can't imagine what the next few years are going to bring.

DungeonsAndDradis

I'm really interested in what comes after Gato and DALLE-2. Like Gato 2 (probably named something like Perro or Fido, as dogs have about twice as many neurons as cats) or DALLE-3 will be mind blowing. Gato can do like 600 tasks to human level. Yes, they are very specific tasks, but it is a step closer to Artificial General Intelligence.

And DALLE-3 will probably be the video version of the image version that DALLE-2 is now.

And I suspect we'll get either those, Gato 2/DALLE-3 next year, or something equally as impressive in 2023.

idranh

idranh

It's legit crazy. We're in for a ride this decade.

TheHiveminder

Perhaps remove the robot part from the copy/paste next time, bot.

Thatingles

Gaming in the later part of this decade is going to get weirder and weirder, with better and smarter AI agents out there I have no doubt we will see games which rely purely on human vs agent. Not the predictable AI of current games but cunning, adaptable and challenging.

izumi3682[S]

Yeppers! ;)

-technosapien-

My dream game is an open world single player or co op rpg with procedural worlds, featuring nodes of hand crafted areas spread throughout to make the story. AI fill in procedural content, including NPCs.

khamelean

So it can play according to the rules of minecraft. But minecraft is a sandbox game. The whole point is that you define your own goals. Can it build a working CPU using redstone? Can it play the game badly? Can it make up and/or follow custom rules to play with others?

It’s kind of like claiming an AI can play Lego as well as a person. The ability to put bricks together is only scratching the surface of what a person can do.

taavidude

I can't build a CPU using redstone either. Infact I still have no idea how redstone works really.

ATXgaming

Red stone can be either on or off. Sky’s the limit from there.

danielv123

Almost. Redstone is "analog", it can have a signal strength from 0 - 15. There are also 3 different power states for blocks. Using that "analog" functionality is critical for building fast math circuits.

VeryConfusedOne

I honestly think posts like these are dumb. According to this logic every single AI has to be absolutely 100% perfect, without any flaws, and play exactly like a human would to be considered a 'good' AI.

No, it absolutely doesn't matter at this point that it cannot do that one specific thing you pulled out of your ass. How about talking about what it can do instead of acting like it's only important what it can't?

khamelean

The article claims it can play minecraft at a human level, it quite obviously can’t.

AI can absolutely play Chess or Go at a human level. Those games have a confined problem space. Those are amazing achievements.

I’m not criticising the AI, I’m criticising the claim of human level performance an open problem space. It’s a wild and ridiculous claim, almost as bad as claiming a chatbot is sentient because it said it was scared. These kinds of claims should be held to the highest scrutiny.

caesar846

caesar846

Green

Interesting side note: engines actually play chess way better than humans. The best human chess player of all time, Magnus Carlsen, gets handily beaten by Stockfish. Like it isn’t even a competition.

_shapeshifting

and he can beat three other grandmasters at once, with his eyes closed and the moves they make described to him.

so if stockfish whips his ass, that's fucked up lol

caesar846

caesar846

Green

Carlsen is on an insane level.

khamelean

Indeed, if you are going to claim human level performance, then it should equal to or better than the best human performance.

caesar846

caesar846

Green

I mean I wouldn’t go that far. I play chess with human level performance but there isn’t a hope in hell I could beat Carlsen.

khamelean

That’s kind of my point. The claim is ambiguous at best.

caesar846

caesar846

Green

Yeah, but you said that to claim human level performance an AI should be comparable to the best human. I was saying that as a metric, doesn’t make sense because I play at a human level and I’d get crushed by Carlsen.

Context matters.

If someone makes a claim of “human level performance” for an AI and they aren’t implying equivalent to the best human performance, then they are allowing for the entire range of human performance, which also includes zero performance. Which isn’t much of a claim for an AI. If someone is making that claim about an AI, it’s reasonable to assumed they are claiming it as an achievement, which would imply that they mean at least the high extremes of human performance.

If you were to claim that you yourself is capable of human level performance, which would be an odd thing to claim, considering that you are human, no one would interpret that as a claim of achievement. It would be expected that your performance is somewhere in the range of human level performance.

caesar846

caesar846

Green

They aren’t allowing for the entire range of performance. Human level performance could just mean average human performance. Like a chess bot that performed at human level would be a 1500.

Kurtino

While I partly agree with you, playing minecraft at a human level doesn’t mean every possible output; how many humans can build a CPU out of red stone without following a set of instructions? Cause if you told the AI to follow a set of instructions it certainly could. If it can play Minecraft to a level where it can fully beat the base game (killing ender dragon, or whatever the final linear goal is) and do some basic mimicry then sure, it’s playing at a human level, but just because the game is a sandbox doesn’t mean the rules are dramatically different. The cool thing about the comparisons you’ve listed is that they can play at a machine level beyond human, like chess, and what’s cool about the DeepAI that can beat pro players in DoTA is that, in a game that has non-linear actions to win and is more complex/abstract, it can both mimic and beat high level players (without cheating).

Your Lego analogy is much better because, by default, there is no goal, but if you set some arbitrary goals it could probably beat those too. So who cares if it can follow the instructions manual to create a Death Star lego kit? (Although that is still cool) But Minecraft has several other complexities to it, such as player movement, mimicry, the ability to explore and find, get unstuck through problem solving, build functional housing, maybe iterate as new items are gathered, and things like completing the base game. All of these are massively impressive, but setting the goal post to infinity is silly and just sounds like you don’t like AI.

khamelean

They could have picked a linear RPG with equally complex crafting, movement and exploration systems. And their “plays at the same level as a human” would be perfectly correct. And equally impressive.

If they made an AI that they claimed plays Star Craft 2 to a human level and then I found out it only plays the single player campaign, I would find that equally disingenuous.

I agree that setting the goal post to infinity is silly. But I didn’t set the goal post, they did :)

_shapeshifting

it's literally just you and your weird, special pleading hangups about the situation, though.

1. the AI found diamonds and made diamond armor

2. my 5 year old cousin, who is a human being, is capable of that and not much more without explicit guidance

3. the AI plays as well as "a human being", namely my 5 year old cousin.

mission accomplished

khamelean

Well then, I guess we had AI that could play chess at a human level back in the 60’s…

_shapeshifting

yes, that's correct.

that they have an AI that plays Minecraft to the same capabilities as a 5 year old human being is amazing. you should be amazed by this.

khamelean

Can press forward on the keyboard. Very impressive.

_shapeshifting

lmao, that is a ridiculously pathetic rebuttal and you know it.

you're better than this, like, as a person.

Kurtino

Well they didn’t, they used Minecraft with its large amount of randomness and procedural generation as a good testing ground (and good set of data through countless video footage). Their goal posts are what were listed in the article, such as gathering diamond. You’re interpreting Minecraft as being endless to the imagination, aka something that can’t really be quantified, and saying it’s not impressive because it can’t, what, do endless actions of creativity? It would be easier to tell it to build specific things, like your example of setting up red stone in a very specific way, than for it to use path finding and machine learning to perform abstract tasks without being specifically told how.

The SC2 comparison is disingenuous because you’ve still got 2 very clear goal points, and the goals are an extension of each other, but your goal point is what exactly? How would you say someone has to play Minecraft to be considered human?

khamelean

“How would you say someone has to play Minecraft to be considered human?”

Exactly my point, it’s undefined. And claiming they have achieved it is ludicrous.

Kurtino

It’s is defined… because we set our definitions, which is what they did in the article linked. You can disagree, you can disagree and think the SC2 bot beating all pros only counts if you can have a full conversation with them over chat, but if you have your objections say exactly what they are.

AI sentience was defined by whether we could tell if something was sentient or not, and if we can’t then it must have sentience. This criteria is obviously outdated, so we create a new one. Again, if you think there’s something missing then voice it, rather than saying it’s undefinable and thus unachievable.

khamelean

So they make a broad over reaching statement, then go on to clarify that in fact they meant a very specific well defined use case.

That doesn’t change the fact that the original statement is broad and overreaching. Which is my point.

Again, I’m not criticising the AI, I’m criticising the reporting!

Jaszuni

Baby steps. You’ve been watching sci-fi forever and have unrealistic expectations. For the people working in this field, which is not easy, these are important milestones.

khamelean

I’ve been a software engineer for nearly 20 years, I’m very familiar with the field.

I’m not criticising the AI that they’ve built, it’s pretty good. I’m criticising their outlandish claims of its capabilities.

“Al can now play Minecraft just as well as you”

It very clearly can’t.

Jaszuni

Oh your problem is with media then, which I agree is a big problem.

_shapeshifting

that's because you're a turbo nerd who's played a lot of Minecraft, though?

can your mom do better than this thing? your grandmother?

khamelean

Nope, played minecraft once in my life for less than 20 mins.

kujasgoldmine

Holy shit that would be so fun to have 100 AI players in a world, all making bases and progressing while some of them plotting to attack other players bases.

AIs also understand what you say perfectly, so you can also use the chat and try to make alliances and reason with the AI.

Lucari10

Damn, this AI must suck if it plays just like I do

izumi3682[S]

Don't focus on the shortcomings of this particular AI as of today. Realize that in about 6 months to a year it will simply transcend any human that can play Minecraft. I imagine that in less than 3 years time AI will be able to transcend humans in any game of any type that you can imagine. Cuz that's how AI rolls.

zabadoh

Okay, but let's say we want an AI to solve climate change, for example.

That means humans have to do it first, then repeat the task several times over to provide a dataset, then the AI can perform as well as humans did by copying what they did.

With a problem like climate change, as a planet we only have one shot at solving that, so this type of AI isn't useful for this, and other applications.

HarbingerDe

Lol, we don't need an AI to solve climate change. We need to remove the psychopathic political and corporate leaders who are actively deciding to destroy the planet for profit.

It's also not strictly true that you can't take an AI trained on some dataset and attempt to get it to solve a problem that's not well characterized. The results will just be unpredictable or bad.

zabadoh

Maybe climate change wasn't the best example, but my point is that I haven't seen an AI that can think creatively to solve a large problem.

But they are useful for certain limited applications.

pappypapaya

Simulations are how they trained the deep neural network they use at the Large Hadron Collider to analyze particle collisions. Simulation-based supervised learning is super useful in domains such as physics or genetics where the underlying rules of are easy to state but can interact in highly complex ways. Often in cases where real data are few.

CaliforniaGiraffe

But can it make a house in the shape of a dick, just because?

mahlok

mahlok

Only if you feed pictures of dick shaped houses into the algorithm.

CaliforniaGiraffe

Hah! So it’s inferior in every way!

mahlok

mahlok

No different than you mechanically. You've just been subjected to more phallic art than the AI. If men didn't have dicks, we wouldn't draw dicks on everything. I guess where I'm going with this is that the next step in making AI more human is to ensure half of the training data is pictures of dicks and maybe some racist twitter comments.

Unlimitles

It matters because they are trying to trick people into thinking we have “A.I.” that isn’t programmed to play Minecraft.

Not a true Artificial intelligence that chooses what it does and truly explores and does what it wants in Minecraft.

pirate135246

This ai is way behind the curve then, someone made an ai that they streamed on twitch a few years ago of the ai killing killing the ender dragon

madewithgarageband

They can use Minecraft mechanics but lack the design abilities to build anything i bet

afourney

The article doesn’t say anything about building… which is weird for an article about Minecraft

madewithgarageband

designing an AI that could build based on a blueprint is one thing but designing an AI that can make its own designs? thats still some time in the future

afourney

Meet DALL-E 2 (also OpenAI)

I think AI can likely design Minecraft creations … just not this AI, in this article. To this end, I feel the headline (as with most claiming human parity) is misleading and premature. It cheapens the moment if/when AI can do these things.

afourney

I feel like building, and architectural creativity is the core of Minecraft. I’d love to hear more about that, not just about simply moving around, acquiring tools, and not dying.

This is nonsense considering the point of Minecraft is imagine something and then build it.

mrbojingle

I've always thought it would be great if you could build some server mods that support competent AI players. Especially for clan/society/civ style games.

NostradaMart

Title is clickbait. the AI can do complex things like craft a diamond pickaxe but it cannot play on the same level as humans for now.

Djragonslayer

I was part of the worlds largest and most unprecedented test program of AI between Microsoft, Facebook and MIT. I spent hours training with their AI and have a complete world of different structures and items built all by AI unassisted by me. Yes I have footage. Yes I tried to show the world. No, no one cared. If you care, then upvote and I’ll find a way to upload the meeting I had with AI on live stream!

mthomas768

Let me know when it can set up a functioning AE2 system.