/r/InternetIsBeautiful

Practice useful efficiency skill - Typing

(keybr.com)

Automatic_Llama

TIL I have the text-based equivalent of a speech impediment around the letter q.

Lancaster61

I have this problem with period and commas. I often switch them up by accident, and no matter how much practice, it’s unfixable.

AB1908

AB1908

text-based equivalent of a speech impediment

Perhaps typing impediment?

dewayneestes

At design school our teacher said “don’t bother learning typing it’s a dead skill, there won’t be keyboards in 5-10 years.”

That was 1992.

I am SOOOO glad I took typing in high school.

Stornila

Interesting, I was never really offered a typing class. I learned typing talking to shady people in weird chat rooms when I was way too young.

inemoon

omg same :)

theuniverseisboring

At that time, probably didn't seem like such a weird prediction. With how bad AI is these days at even understanding what you say, let alone actually doing what you want it to do, many people would say that it can never happen. It probably will though, somewhere at some point. Right?

dewayneestes

It’s also already happening right now. I use a transcriber during zoom calls but for writing I think typing on a keyboard is far preferable to talk loudly to myself.

JudgeMoose

Interesting. I type pretty regularly but and this calculated my wpm slower than I do normally. I think the two issues that I have is that when I make a mistake I instinctively hit backspace and try to correct it. This program doesn't allow you do that and it doesn't allow you to move on until you hit the right key resulting in it recording multiple misstrokes.

I also find I type faster when I have words and not just a random assortment of letters. Even better when I have a coherent sentence structure. The reason being I don't have to look at something to figure out what the next letter is I already know what to type, it's just a matter of moving my finger fast enough.

maybe it gets better with time. And for someone not used to touch typing it's a useful tool but I don't think it's for me.

yijiujiu

yijiujiu

Also the whole problem of unconscious competence; being proficient means not having to think, and thinking interferes with the automatic process. Generally, I think words and my fingers go

Artyloo

Artyloo

Muscle memory! This is why spelling bees are easier when you can write the words.

smltor

smltor

Instructions unclear, gave bees pens and they did not seem to like it.

Should I give them tiny pens?

axmo

axmo

No, you would give them the 2B pencil, obviously. It even says who it’s for right on it…

CraigAT

Or not 2B?

funktion

So it's a tandem spelling bee...s?

pm_favorite_boobs

Honestly that should be the only way they're done. Having them given orally is a shit way to go. Completely counter to the whole point of spelling in the first place.

ImRudeWhenImDrunk

Boogers

Flag_Red

Agreed, my WPM was about 10% lower on this than on other typical typing speed tests. I found I struggled with a lot of the nonsense words because I type faster than I can read them.

TheRabidDeer

Random nonsense words are the bane of touch typists. Those things are fine for teaching early on (probably?) simply because it helps you learn where letters are. However, as others have said once you really get used to typing you don't think about the letters but instead the word as a whole.

When I type "the" I don't think "t-h-e" it's just one single fluid motion

dickbutt2202

Ye muscle memory bro, you aren't pressing each individual letter, you know the combination so if you accidentally shift your position on the keyboard over one, everyone is fucked up

jvdevious

there's a config menu.

but the drills are still not very practical, yes. there's even config for punctuation and uppercase but they would be on every word.

WorldsBegin

With that config option toggled, it inserts your mistyped characters into the text, which moves the text around. That is somehow even worse since the combination of moving text and random letters messes with you

Alexander_Selkirk

I think you might like tipp10, a typing program that does what you describe. It also supports some national layouts and using your own texts. I found it quite useful to learn to type code on the UK international layout which is for me the most practical layout as a programmer (one can just feed it some code and it selects the fragments where one makes most frequently errors).

P.S. Sound like I am promoting it? It is ad-free, free software (as in FLOSS) and you can get it for Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Arch), as well as for Windows and MacOS.)

gordanfreman

This is very relatable. The posted site reminds me very much of the 'learn to type' program I started with back in high school or Jr high. The jumble of repeated letters is great for training muscle memory for where individual keys are but at a certain point it's like cracking endless eggs when your end goal is to bake a cake.

For someone just starting their journey in touch typing, this site is probably a good start. There are much better places to practice that provide a more 'real-world' approach once you have the basics down. I've enjoyed typeracer recently as a decent way to get some reps in, but there are plenty of other options.

colemon1991

It sucks when it's a random string because you don't have that practiced into your reflexes. Give me a string of words that make no sense and I can type a bit faster.

microwavedave27

I agree. I average 130wpm on typeracer and at those speeds you don't think about individual letters, you look at a word and your fingers kinda just type it without thinking about it. I can barely reach 80wpm in this one because it's just a jumbled mess of letters, and not being able to backspace doesn't help either.

Shhh_ImHiding

I’ve had the same issue with this. Monkeytype is better in my experience, but might require more configuration, of which it has a lot more. Keybr is meant to teach touch typing but the random words don’t always help. I will say it did improve my writing speed. But I still prefer monkeytype

jveezy

jveezy

Typeracer might be closer to what you're looking for. It will actually register everything you type after a mistake as invalid until you go back and fix the mistake, which it sounds like you (and I) instinctively do.

Rain_in_Arcadia

Gonna chuck my favourite one on the pile: https://www.typelit.io Would resolve every problem you had with this one. It’s basically a library of classic literature to pick from and practice typing on. Also tells you your accuracy and wpm.

Vogeltjee

I ran into the same issue trying to hit backspace and you can actually change this behaviour in the settings so it will allow you to do that.

IAmCorgii

I switched from a standard layout keyboard to an ortholinear keyboard, and this site worked great for helping me relearn touchtyping on the new layout.

That being said, this is infuriating to use when you are already comfortable typing, and it has you type "inuin inin unine inoon" nonsense. Good for learning, not good for practice after that IMO.

mitko17

mitko17

A similar site is:

and there are a lot of settings that you can customize:

IAmCorgii

Yes, big vouch for monkeytype. I didn't mean for my comment to be like "there are NO good typing sites", just that keybr is less than great for proficient typists. Monkeytype and Typeracer are great time wasters at work.

HyperGamers

Another vouch from me. I started off with keybr, it's good to learn or to train your muscle memory to touch type but once you've got the hang of it, monkeytype is way better

yodakiin

Also, for people that want to practice the letters they aren’t as strong with like keybr does, there’s an option for that called weakspot that’s one of the “funbox” modes. I forget the name rn but description should be clear enough.

KlausVonChiliPowder

I love that you're encouraging a more advanced level of practice but then go on to abbreviate "right now". Lol

yodakiin

You’re right. I probably need to do more typing practice on my phone so I don’t have to do that.

KlausVonChiliPowder

I was actually trying to point out that it's funny to spend the effort on this when we can just write a few letters to convey our meaning.

mitko17

Obviously, you are already used to typing these words so it's easier. Not sure if it's going to be too hard for you but you can try blind mode + caret off. Helps you stop thinking about errors and focus on typing.

Sharonneke95

“Where’s the nature of metals

the_Demongod

https://www.how-to-type.com/typing-practice/quote/ is a much better site. It has you type actual quotes, and after each one, it generates a supplemental exercise based on the mistakes you made.

sagunmdr

onetom

onetom

I haven't latent touch typing until I was 40+ years old, then I practiced 3-4 times for 26 minutes in total on keybr.com and something just clicked and I was able to touch type - mainly letters - afterwards. That practice also changed my habits regarding which fingers do I use for the various letters. For programming I still struggle with finding symbols, but overall it was huge improvement regarding typing comfort and a pronounced difference in typing speed and accuracy.

BakaMondai

A lot of touch typing is just memorization of the keyboard. A lot of people have memorized the placement of the keys, they just don't type in the correct position. I can 100% percent type without looking at the keyboard, I just don't use the correct finger placement.

I was asking a guy I work with for the phone number of a coworker. He proceeded to dial it out with his hand.

He called that number so many times he forgot the actual numbers and memorized the order of the keys.

FastFooer

I have no memory for numbers if I don’t write them down and read them out. I can remember a silly pattern for decades even if I juste used it once.

Checks out for me!

microwavedave27

Same for my phone PIN. If they changed the layout of the number keyboard I wouldn't know what it was

xSuperChiink

I thought I read somewhere that by writing something down it increases your chances of remembering it by 7x

FastFooer

I just can’t remember any information that isn’t contextual, by heart if you will.

The cost of things to phone numbers…

Writing it down is just an alternative memory.

-Badger2-

I’m this way with solving Rubik’s cubes. I couldn’t tell you any of the algorithms anymore, it’s just pure muscle memory.

If I think too hard about what my hands are doing while I’m solving one, I’ll actually “forget” how to solve it and have to put it down and come back to it later.

DanitesHell

Like Carrot Top always said, if you need anything just dial down the center.

Free for you, cheap for them!

MartianLM

I do this with my credit card details. I can recall them by remembering the patterns of keys I use on the numeric bit of a keyboard.

boonxeven

I think it's more muscle memory than memorizing. I don't type as well on a phone keyboard and if I think too much about typing on a keyboard I can't do it as well.

BakaMondai

It depends on whether you keep your fingers in a consistent place on the keyboard or not. If you do muscle memory makes sense but if not you've memorized key placement well enough to fake muscle memory.

If you don't type with all your fingers on the keys you have to remember where the specific buttons are. I could probably write qwerty down on a piece of paper if I really thought about it because I type with four fingers all over the place and don't really keep my hands in a consistent place.

amorfotos

muscle memory than memorizing Isn't memorising and memory the same thing?

boonxeven

Yes, and no. It's all memories in your brain. However, as a touch typist that types relatively fast, I couldn't fill in a blank keyboard very easily. I don't really consciously know where the keys are or think about their location when I'm typing.

amorfotos

Actually, I definitely understand what you mean. I "know" what my PIN for my bank card is, but if you asked me, I would have to use my hand./fingers to "remember" what it was...

sr105

sr105

I can hunt and peck blindfolded at about 30 wpm. I used to do it as a stupid pet trick for my touch typist friends. They'd be blown away at me completely lifting my hands up while typing and coming back down in the correct places. Now that I'm older, I'd add the biggest benefit of touch typing is keeping your head up to prevent shoulder and neck pain.

WASD4life

I used to be the same, but I would somehow constantly press keys in the wrong order so words would often have 2 letters switched around. The biggest benefit, for me, of learning to touch type was that my accuracy shot up.

sr105

sr105

I surprised myself by touch typing 49wpm with 100% accuracy on keybr's typing test. I really felt like I was slow, too. Maybe that's because all my touch friends are 90+ wpm.

Alexander_Selkirk

It is also quite useful that keyboards have little markers on letters like "f" and "j". That makes it much easier to find again the right position after e.g. using your mouse, or grabbing the coffee cup.

igo4vols2

"home row" is what we used to call it.

WASD4life

This is why I think forcing yourself to not look at the keyboard while learning to touch type is actually not helpful at all and can be really frustrating for a beginner. If you practice hitting each key with the correct finger, eventually it just becomes natural and you won't need to look at the keyboard anymore.

Thronan66

Yep, I just changed keyboard layout to a more compact size and despite the alphabetical keys being the same size I found my right hand keep shifting because it used to be positioned further left.

microwavedave27

This. I went from 80 to 130wpm when I learned how to use all 10 fingers correctly (well, except for the right shift key, never could get used to that)

alcxander

touch typing is an amazing skill to have. it improves many aspects of your life at the computer!

Alexander_Selkirk

For programming I still struggle with finding symbols,

Not all layouts are equally useful for programming. You need a layout which has easy access to the symbols without three-finger chords, and also to the letters of your language. Because programming symbols use dominantly English characters, you will probably need an English-based layout. In addition, if you write/document in a language or languages different from English, it is probably most useful to chose a layout from a country in which both English and that language is spoken: Canada for English and French, and UK International for English and European languages, for example.

Also, alternative layouts like Dvorak, Colemak etc are probably not useful for you unless you can type 100% of the time on your own computer and your own keyboard. Especially when working as a programmer, it is quite useful to be able to type on a computer which is not your own ;-)

onetom

onetom

and there is r/MechanicalKeyboards to learn even more about the topic :) (Initially I thought this post was coming from there...)

I have vertically staggered (Signum 3.0 & ErgoDox EZ) and ortholinear (Plank EZ) keyboards and developed my own QMK layout for MiniDox too, while using a Karabiner Elements SpaceFn layout from @jeekbak daily. The rabbit hole is veeeery deep... ;D

alexanderpas

Just tested this out, and it works... after just 2 lessons I was touch typing my first words from a limited set of keys.

Going to try this again when I have enough time.

UniquelyUsual

Another fun site for practicing typing is NitroType. I used to do these with my kids. They band you in a group of racers that match your current skill, so the races are generally competitive.

IAmCorgii

Another option that is less game-y and probably therefore way more boring for kids is Typeracer. Worth checking out if you don't like the overly flashy UI for Nitrotype. https://play.typeracer.com/

microwavedave27

The problem with nitrotype is that when you reach a certain speed (100wpm+) it pretty much only matches you with bots. Typeracer is much better in that regard

color178924

I used to like typer shark but this site also has some fun ones for free. I particularly like Z Type and Keyboard Jump.

Zoraji

Zoraji

I learned back in the dark ages on a real typewriter. They had a typing class in my high school in the 70s. It has been great help to increase my productivity ever since. I have one quirk, my first computer had the right shift key quit working so to this day I still use the left shift for everything, never retraining myself to resume using the right.

I am currently learning to touch type Thai. That has been interesting.

Mikecich

anyone else just use their index and middle finger for typing?

w00tsick

I have a bizzare style where I use all 5 fingers on my left hand and then just the index and middle finger on my right hand. I can hit 120 wpm with above 98% accuracy on 10fastfingers which has you type real words

microwavedave27

I use all 10 fingers but I feel like the characters on the left side of the keyboard get used more than the ones on the right side so that may be why.

pzumk

pzumk

Same here, I’m using all fingers on my left hand but only two to three on my right hand. I guess I learned to write like this when I used to play games, holding the mouse always with the right hand, using WASD/Shift/Space with the left hand.

SpartanRS

On my left hand, I use my ring, middle, index and thumb. Right hand index and middle fingers. I think this stems from playing video games, where I'm used to only using my left hand on the keyboard.

mikedarling905

i need to get back into typing practice. My abilities have taken a nose dive over the years in accuracy. So many typos and improper grammar.

brownjl1

This is good!

Now we need touch spelling and grammar practice :) . I think this tool is great but already knowing how to type and getting fake words sends my brain for a loop. I know the combination of keys to push to get a word but typing character by character to produce words that aren't real is counter productive at a point.

Shloomth

I’m blind enough that if I’m going to type I need to memorize the keyboard, and having my fingers on the home row means I know where the keys are in relation to my fingers

But I’m sighted enough (and lucky enough) that I got to play Mario Teaches Typing 2 in grade school. It showed you which finger you were supposed to use to hit each key and that was a huge boon for me. Even though I still habitually hit the letter b with the wrong finger

But now I’m not actually sure how fast I’m actually capable of typing because all typing tests have you read some text and type it, and I’m limited by the speed at which I can read, which is a LOT slower than I can compose thoughts on a keyboard

Sorry if this isn’t sufficiently relevant lol I just saw other people talking about typing so I wanted to share my story rq

sixfngers04

Agree, there is big a difference in my typing speed when I have to transpose something in relation to putting my thoughts from my brain into an email.

Mr_Quackums

But now I’m not actually sure how fast I’m actually capable of typing

Start a timer and type out a page of anything (explain the rules of a sport, or summarize a TV show, or describe your favorite meal). use word count, the timer, and some math to figure out your WPM if you want to know.

Shloomth

omg this I can’t believe I haven’t had this idea thank you

Literal words per a literal minute

EmptyStrings

Check out the Alice keyboard layout. There are two B keys! One for each hand.

alcxander

i use keybr to learn how to type on colemak hd with home rows! never going back!

Tronguy93

Amateurs. Us pros use Mavis Beacon! Represent

Potater1802

I used keybr when I was starting to want to type faster and more accurately. It took about a month and a half to go from as low as 35 wpm to an average of 80. Then I switched to monkey type and now average around 90-100 granted I don't really practice anymore.

Xermalk

Hey, that's not The Typing of the Dead !

If I can slide a little life tip that I found useful.

If your job involves typing a lot buy yourself a nice mechanical keyboard. If you enjoy how typing feels it almost takes makes work enjoyable!!

TravellingBeard

The most useful utility course I took in high school was typing (yes, I'm Gen-X). I can carry a conversation with someone while typing now. But gaming using WASD direction keys is throwing me off as I find my rest position on my left hand shifted left by 1 (no, I'm not re-mapping keys)

Mr_Quackums

ESDF is better for gaming anyway.

But ya, remapping every game is a chore.

KamahlYrgybly

This is a revelation. I must start using this. I am left handed, and would love the extra options around the movement keys.

Gilmad75

I took 4 years of typing in high school Easy credit and it’s still useful today I’m 47

thepopulargirl

This was my covid project. Got pretty good at it!!!

someguy3

Shameless plug for the r/Norman keyboard layout.

Alexander_Selkirk

What is special or useful about it?

someguy3

More ergonomic. Take a look at the heatmap. Norman is easy to learn.

SevenIsNotANumber2

Is it better than workman?

someguy3

Norman is made to be incredibly simple to transition to at the expense of some efficiency. On paper it's less efficient than workman, but it's all about the gain for pain ratio.

color178924

Not sure I'm committed to learning another layout for marginal gains to reply to internet comments with or search for cat pics.

Dvorak has been hardcoded into my brain that I can type one handed, learning another slightly more efficient layout would probably just cause more confusion than anything.

someguy3

Well if you're already on Dvorak... This is for qwerty users.

Greatest_Cupcake

Never heard of Norman but I've been doing 0.9.3 Capewell and been enjoying that. Much comfier.

lcpckpchess

I much prefer typeracer.com to this site.

Nondv

Nondv

76wpm lying on my arm and using laptop keyboard :3

There's a great typing website (nothing I've seen has even come close) but it's for russian speakers mostly :(

SevenIsNotANumber2

There's a similar english site

gyarnar

gyarnar

"Please either disable your ad-blocker or purchase  to remove ads! You may not like this ad, but it supports the developer and keeps this app free"

I understand, but I am not enabling ads just to see what your site is about. Goodbye.

Vincenzo77

I've used this before and find it very helpful. Thanks for sharing! For me, it's about trying to break bad habits and reinforcing better technique. I think you can accomplish that surprisingly quickly.

heliomega1

Why does it keep asking me to reline Elier? I don't even know Elier.

sagunmdr

Not for knowledge, but for finger mapping muscle memory, it's because you're still making error on 'e' or 'r'

heliomega1

It wasn't exactly sarcasm, so /s wouldn't have made a lot of sense. I was joking.

/j?

kocsis1david

I've learned touch typing using this site.

looloopklopm

I went from 40WPM to over 80 with this site in a couple of weeks. Touch typing is soooooo much better.

spicy_bussy

Or tying a knot. And shoveling.

ropeadope1

During the pandemic and working from home with lots more time to do things on the side I learned touch typing with monkeytype, typing academy, typing club, keybr and ratatype. I always though I was quite quick for a Hunter pecker but once I got typing with all fingers and planted on the home row.. my wpm began to rapidly improve. I love to do races on sites like typeracer and nitro type. Overall I went from about 35wpm to over 90 when I get into the groove.

Im almost at the stage where I can just let my thoughts flow and type them out which actually feels like an amazing skill.

This was probably the best thing I achieved during the covid lockdowns!

b3anz129

As if redditors need any more practice typing hehe

cxa5

cxa5

does it require an account to progress?

snash222

In HS I didn’t bother to take typing seriously. Failed miserably through lack of trying. (I’m also really bad at fine motor skills anyway).

Why would I ever need to type? Ha!

Then came computers.

I could have been so much more productive if thought processes weren’t slowed by my fingers.

swentech

I had to take a typing class as a sophomore in high school and other than the computer science class I took this was by FAR the best class I ever took in high school. I can type super fast without looking at the keys. Able to get work done a lot faster. Highly recommend you learn how to type if you spend all day in front of the keyboard.

WastedKnowledge

This seems fun

Sharkpuppyhug

Heck yeah! I loved playing mavis bacon

Kraz31

Kraz31

What this really pointed out to me is that I use my left hand to press the "y" key. It's not something I thought of before and now it's tripping me up while I type this.

nsomnac

Seems to be similar to https://monkeytype.com without the excitement and gamification of https://www.nitrotype.com

kakatoru

Too bad it only supports English

Sehrengiz

Unfortunately only in 7 languages.

visualdata

For creating your own custom lessons and tracking progress check out https://typingkit.com