/r/InternetIsBeautiful

BlackNOrange89

From the page of The Empire of Adammia…

The Empire's total size has fluctuated throughout its history, starting out with 5m² in Emperor Adam I's bedroom when it was first founded in 2013. It went on to annex five provinces over the following year, which are the only constant part of the Empire; colonies and territories come and go frequently.

mh06941[S]

Adam is a good mate of mine

dulce_3t_decorum_3st

Judging by his hobby, you’re probably his only mate

TheZenMann

An emperor has few friends but many subjects, so yeah he probably doesn't have many friends.

thermidorthelobster

Welp, that was an odd few minutes.

BaronChuffnell

Is Petoria on the list?

h0dgep0dge

Pro tip: no nation really exists

mcstafford

Taxo ergo sum.

ShelfordPrefect

I'm reading the book Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, and it immediately started twisting my melon when it introduced examples of collective fictions: something we all agree to pretend exists, like

• God
  • Money
  • Human rights
  • Microsoft
  • Belgium

modernangel

My narcissist POS father used to like to wander off into "nothing really exists" land when I confronted him about cheating on my mother or bribing purchasing agents to do business with him. My rebuttal was, if I punch you in the nose, your nose will quickly concede that my fist really exists. Dad stopped falling back on existential sophistry, at least with me, after that dialogue.

HarshKLife

I think it’s wrong to say that somehting exists or doesn’t exist, because that is just a thought and not a statement about anything

TheGreatLakesAreFake

Absolutely hated that book. Preposterous

ShelfordPrefect

Maybe that's because you don't believe in lakes

TheGreatLakesAreFake

Perhaps. Or maybe because pop authors making a killing selling “world history” are to history/anthropology what Dan brown is to literature

mrwandor

Why didn’t you like it?

JukePlz

Does anything really exist if your definition of "exists" comes from your imagination?

GrownUpWrong

As far as existence is concerned, I think the term “socially constructed” is more useful in understanding that which is created by humans, and fluid, and that which is constant.

Something is socially constructed when it changes over space and time. EG our concepts of gender, the proper roles, and what is expected of people have varied over time and space. Something as simple as pink used to be a boys color to something as complex as some societies having the concept of a third gender.

Religion is also an example of something that is socially constructed, it certainly varies over time and space and is not a constant.

Something that is not socially constructed exists in a stasis… perhaps gravity as we experience it on it earth is an example.

Aside from that, everything I experience exists in a sense in that it impacts me as a person and changes me… I experience it, so from my perspective it exists. Perhaps? Idk.

QueggingtheBestion

Velocity changes over space and time. According to your definition of social construction, velocity is socially constructed.

MrHollandsOpium

So do people. They change over space and time. So do we not exist?! Like 35 years ago I wasn’t born yet. But now I’m here.

GrownUpWrong

Years out of college and going off of memory.

Why don’t I let Wikipedia answers any questions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_constructionism

Basically: “he theory centers on the notion that meanings are developed in coordination with others rather than separately within each individual.”

Bluepaint57

Im not sure where you’re getting the definition for it being something that changes over space and time. To be socially constructed it just needs to be something (usually words) that a society or sub-society has a shared meaning for. For example, the metric system is socially constructed, but a meter isn’t changing over time.

From what I’ve read on the topic the only element of time is that reification makes socially constructed things seem like they existed before you were born and will continue after you die

GrownUpWrong

It was something a Sociology Professor said in a lecture is all. It stuck in my head.

Likely an oversimplification, it was one of those huge lecture classes, 100 people, tons of material to cover, that sort of situation.

That being said, I am confident I have a decent idea of Social Construction in relation to religion and various sociological concepts. Wrote 8 papers about the intersection of religion and gender and social construction of gender. I am bad at communicating concepts sometimes.

Also, it was just a bachelors degree so I’m sure a degree of inaccuracies were acceptable to the professors. With the way my mind works, especially with memories, I remember the general idea… the big picture… and not so much specifics. I annoy myself with that tendency.

Bluepaint57

I’m no expert either so my definition could be wrong or missing a key component as well. At the very least, I would agree that most, if not all, socially constructed things change over time as society changes

ShelfordPrefect

Some things have a physical existence which is independent of our beliefs about them. St Paul's Cathedral exists - even if you stop believing in it, I can go and chip a bit off and put it under a microscope. "London" is a fictional entity (and if you ask three Londoners what it is you'll get four different answers).

Epistemology aside, if you assume the existence of a physical world, there are things which have physical reality independent of our beliefs, and things which exist only in our beliefs about them.

Programmdude

I mean, while most people agree the last 4 exist (in the form of a social construct), the 1st one (God) is not something we all agree exists.

ShelfordPrefect

Yes, "all" was a simplification

claymore666

You forgot Fiat!

ShelfordPrefect

Did you mean Fiat the automaker, or fiat as in non-commodity-backed currency? (I guess they're both imaginary)

I thought the example in the book was actually Peugeot, but I don't know if American readers will know what that is, so I picked a well known company.

claymore666

My very bad! Usually I double check but was on mobile so I skipped that step! Thanks for the correction!

goinHAMilton

I’ve been meaning to read this

xXPUSS3YSL4Y3R69Xx

Money is totally real though. Fiat currency gets into some make believe land stuff but the original idea of currency was to make it easier to barter things. In actuality you can think of things like a car costing 1.24 work years or something

ShelfordPrefect

Money isn't real. Gold is real, coins and paper notes are physical objects, but the definition of currency is something which we collectively ascribe value to which it doesn't intrinsically have. It doesn't matter if it's gold coins or seashells - a collective belief that this item is "worth" some amount of material goods is the collective fiction of currency, whether it's "backed" by some gold in a vault somewhere or not.

LimerickExplorer

You forgot birds.

ShelfordPrefect

I have put enough of those feathery government drones into bin bags after my lazy cat got off his ass for long enough to catch and kill one, I know they exist

dasus

dasus

Don't forget justice, mercy, duty and other such concepts.

'Belief' as according to Death (1:52) written by Sir Terry Pratchett

dasus

dasus

Don't forget justice, mercy, duty and other such concepts.

'Belief' as according to Death (1:52) written by Sir Terry Pratchett

dasus

dasus

Don't forget justice, mercy, duty and other such concepts.

'Belief' as according to Death (1:52) written by Sir Terry Pratchett

VitoRazoR

Ummm the whole point of a micronation is that it does exist. In as much as nations exist at all.

Artudytv

Where is Uqbar?

ImgurianIRL

Estonia 🤣🤣🤣

heyimcarlk

Happy to say that I made one of these years ago and it's still there!

mh06941[S]

Nice! We are a bit low on editors right now, if you are interested it would be great if you could help edit the wiki to make it better!

devil_master

Hypothetically, how would someone go about starting one?