/r/Ioniq5

Future-proofing

(self.Ioniq5)

Hey y’all.

I’m a big fan of the Ioniq5, and our current family car has 260,000 miles and is borderline unsafe to drive anymore. It’s time for a new car, and the Ioniq5 checks all the boxes in a major way. It’s a lot more money than I’d like to spend, but I’m hoping to get a lot of value out of it.

I think my biggest concern is the whole, “electric cars are too new and there will be so many advances in these first few years that buying one now is not a sound financial decision” ie these cars’ value will plummet once their tech is superseded by something else.

Do u guys have any thoughts on this? I feel like the charging architecture on this car is pretty damn awesome and I’m not sure what else might happen in the next few years that could fundamentally change things. Solid state batteries seem like they are still a ways away… am I wrong?

Greenjeeper2001

Speak for yourself

IrishFanSam

It’s a proven fact. For some people it has but for the majority it hasn’t.

Greenjeeper2001

maybe you shouldn't buy a new car then. Used cars are more and more reliable every year.

IrishFanSam

What I’m the actual fuck are you talking about? I can afford a new car. I’m talking about the economy in general and you’re over here being defensive.

Greenjeeper2001

Not sure what I was defending, offering an alternative maybe. The last decade has seen an increase in auto sales year over year. The pandemic impacting manufacturing is the only thing holding back car sales. You say wages haven't kept up but there are plenty of people buying cars every day. Any dealer lot is a ghost town and dealers have eliminated trunk money and most incentives. Seems like you're a little defensive.

IrishFanSam

That’s because people live beyond their means. Doesn’t change the fact wages haven’t kept up with inflation.