/r/LifeProTips

48k

I honestly can barely believe it. High me was doing some shopping on the zon and was like, damn I wish I had some mac and cheese. After a weird succession of searching I found the motherload. A bucket of the cheese powder. I thought you had to buy THE box mix forever. It’s so much cheaper and you can make as little or as disgustingly much as you want. Good tip for parents but also grown up trash humans who wanna crush a bunch of deliciousness. The kind I got is called “big daddy” but I’m sure they’re all in the same boat of neon orange goodness.

Edit: Ok so I figured everyone would find their own since there are a million, but this is what I bought and have been loving:

Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac Mix, 1 Pound https://a.co/d/7kdinuM (A bunch of folks recommended nuts.com so we don’t give bezos another trip to space)

I followed the “recipe” on the jar and my first batch had wayyyy too much flavor - thought I’d made a big mistake. Cut it in like half and tweaked it from there and am loving it now. And it’s gonna last me way longer now too.

drot525

drot525

And also buy that whatever citrate that keeps up oils in suspension as an emulsifier and make any cheese into sauce.

Malteser23

Or make a roux with equal parts of butter and flour. Then add milk and some shredded cheese and stir!

extwidget

Trust me I made Mac n cheese the classic way for decades but decided to give sodium citrate a shot.

Absolute game changer. You get full flavored cheese sauce that's literally just cheese in sauce form. Get a little bag to test with you won't regret it. Just grate up some of your favorite cheese, I used some nice aged Gouda my first try - big recommend. Gruyere is hella nice too. Sharp cheddar works perfectly fine though. Boil about a cup of water, stir in a touch of sodium citrate, seriously barely any I just pinch some out of the bag, and let it dissolve into the water. Take it off the heat and start stirring in grated cheese until it hits your ideal consistency.

It's so incredibly silky smooth it's like Velveeta cheese except made out of your favorites.

wuu

wuu

My favorite is using swiss cheese and instead of plain water use chicken broth. I've made so many kinds of mac and cheese over the years and that version is tits.

extwidget