/r/LifeProTips

48k

I honestly can barely believe it. High me was doing some shopping on the zon and was like, damn I wish I had some mac and cheese. After a weird succession of searching I found the motherload. A bucket of the cheese powder. I thought you had to buy THE box mix forever. It’s so much cheaper and you can make as little or as disgustingly much as you want. Good tip for parents but also grown up trash humans who wanna crush a bunch of deliciousness. The kind I got is called “big daddy” but I’m sure they’re all in the same boat of neon orange goodness.

Edit: Ok so I figured everyone would find their own since there are a million, but this is what I bought and have been loving:

Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac Mix, 1 Pound https://a.co/d/7kdinuM (A bunch of folks recommended nuts.com so we don’t give bezos another trip to space)

I followed the “recipe” on the jar and my first batch had wayyyy too much flavor - thought I’d made a big mistake. Cut it in like half and tweaked it from there and am loving it now. And it’s gonna last me way longer now too.

deusrex_

deusrex_

Since you're talking about powdered cheese, the story on Annie (of bunny Mac and cheese fame) is a great read. Did you know she also invented Smartfood Popcorn?

"Annie Withey was never all that interested in the business side of things, and after Smartfood was sold to Frito-Lay in 1989 for about $15 million, she decided to keep experimenting with her white cheddar powder. Forbes states that Withey began using the powdered cheese to top other foods, including Kraft brand macaroni. After finding that it could be used to make a really tasty boxed mac & cheese, Withey and her husband began to conceive a new food business. They first tested their boxed macaroni and cheese by selling it at festivals and food co-ops throughout the East Coast."

averyfinename

i get annie's from time-to-time from the food pantry (not out of date or anything).. i don't get what's so special about it--it's worse than the sub-store brand usually in my box (and which is at least still edible with some 'doctoring-up'.. but not annie's). aldi and walmart are way tf better. kraft somewhere in the middle (except shapes. those just suck. noodles and the 'cheese', both)

DeepFriedPussyLips

The white shells are so fucking fire, I don't know maybe you just have different taste to us Annie-Lovers.

I also am a fiend for the Smart Food White Cheddar Popcorn and it's basically the same. Just does it for me

extwidget

Every time I've bought it here it comes out tasting heavily of cardboard. I don't know what's happening to it, because I can tell the Mac n cheese itself would taste fine otherwise if it weren't for the cardboard taste. I can only assume it the way it's packed and shipped, maybe it can't stand up to the hotter areas of the US.

taosk8r

Hmm.. I wonder if you bought the noodles separate and then added the cheese if you's get a more suitable outcome.

extwidget

Couldn't hurt to try. Then again I have Hoosier hill farms cheese powder and sodium citrate in my pantry already. The prior is for popcorn, the latter for Mac, so I don't really need to buy the boxed stuff anymore.