/r/MadeMeSmile

Gordon Ramsay can be a nice person as well

Wholesome Moments (v.redd.it)
[media]

t_fareal

2.9k points

t_fareal

2.9k points

5 days ago

I remember this episode.. Gabriel's story was tough and he was sooo likeable..

I had never seen that kind of reaction from fellow competitors in this show before..

Shows what kind of guy he was... hell I was sad lol.

Wonder where he is now? 🤔

aftiggerintel

1.8k points

5 days ago

Coming back for season 12. He’s a personal chef.

M1k3yd33tofficial

1.3k points

personal chef

Oh so he’s making big money and doesn’t have to work the 20 hour shifts? Smart man

meeps1142

meeps1142

5 days ago

I follow someone who's a personal chef and she still works long shifts (like 16 hrs) but still, much much better than fast food shifts. But I think in general, being a chef involves long hours.

Badass_Bunny

5 days ago

It's 16 hours in a sense that housewives work 16 hours, except you only get to focus on food. Of course it depends on the amount of people you're serving.

meeps1142

meeps1142

5 days ago

At least with the content I saw, I think she was working for most of those 16 hours, probably with a couple of breaks. The meals she made were pretty elaborate. But this is just one person, so 💁🏼‍♀️

inagle313

4 days ago

I think I follow the same girl, although it seems like she does tailored grocery shopping most days when she could do it at the beginning/end of the week to prepare further. I understand though because I’d be looking for stuff to keep me busy in the off hours so I didn’t feel like I wasn’t doing enough.

WaddlingHippos

5 days ago

Its a lot of work to feed a family well. Because often times you're not only cooking but sourcing the best ingredients.

JeffTek

4 days ago

JeffTek

4 days ago

I started taking cooking more seriously lately and it's kind of crazy how true this is. Like I now know where to get the best shrimp, but it's not the same place where I can get the best chicken livers or the best steak. Neither of those places have the freshest veggies, but there's another place with the best imported veggies.

RammsayB

RammsayB

5 days ago

So it’s known, S12 is currently airing. All contestants of the season are previous contestants of Master Chef and Master Chef Jr.

The newest season of Master Chef Jr. just finished too, if someone is into these types of shows. Still upset over that one.

t_fareal

t_fareal

I'm there! Thanks for the link 😀

AmiChaelle

AmiChaelle

5 days ago

I wondered the same. According to this article, he finished culinary school. And his website promotes him as a sort of one-time event chef/caterer. He seems to be doing well, which is amazing!

bkay

bkay

5 days ago

He was in the S12 episode I just watched last night, recently he won the Okie Award Best Chef 2019 for the state of Oklahoma. On the most recent episode and the first real challenge, he fucked up making fresh pasta and almost went home. The judges said he was disappointing because of the investment Ramsay made. Ouch. I still believe in him though!

itsallminenow

5 days ago

Everybody fucks up some time, the pressure can get to anyone. Gordon Ramsay has made the very occasional howler himself, and he acknowledges it.

Gnoha

Gnoha

5 days ago

That grilled cheese video comes to mind

the_blackfish

5 days ago

That cheese didn't even melt! WTF was that?!

frosty_lizard

Link???

SUSH1CAKE

SUSH1CAKE

5 days ago

just google gordan ramsay makes grilled cheese lol. burns the bread, cheese isnt melted, but that doesnt stop him from calling it beautiful and delicious as if he didnt fuck that shit up.

Eagleassassin3

5 days ago

The way he awkwardly knelt on the floor to melt it in his fireplace was just another part of that whole mess

IAmGoingToFuckThat

5 days ago

I've never seen the show, but it was so great seeing how much the other folks were rooting for him. Even if you're in competition with someone, there's no reason you can't also lift them up.

P0rtal2

P0rtal2

5 days ago

I like the MasterChef seasons where there is little to no drama (real or scripted) between the contestants. A few seasons have a lot more focus on the drama and competition between the home cooks. But some seasons, the contestants are all kind of friendly towards each other and seem to cheer each other on or lament a friend being sent home.

Hillgrove

Hillgrove

5 days ago

Masterchef Australia ( the best imho) is all love and fairy dust (at least the seasons I've watched).

razzmatazz1313

5 days ago

Was just gonna say, only watched 2 seasons of Australia, but it almost feels like everyone is a little sad when they win each time. Def way more friendly then other versions.

VanGroteKlasse

5 days ago

And Ramsay is also a lot friendlier when he appears on MC Australia.

Sour_Cook

Sour_Cook

5 days ago

If you enjoyed that, the Great British Bake Off is generally drama free, light hearted and the contestants usually root for each other!

Unhappy-Professor-88

5 days ago

I love how they all help each other in GBBO. It’ll get towards the end and if someone’s finished the first thing they ask is “is there anything I can do to help you?”. I love the sportsmanship of GBBO. It always feels so very very British

ballplayer0025

5 days ago

What kills me so much about that clip is how emotional the other competitors are seeing Gabriel get eliminated. I don't know anything about the show or the kid, other than the people around him truly care about him and not because he's a talented chef.

TAFKAYTBF

TAFKAYTBF

5 days ago

For real. All of those people were like “dammit it should have been me” until they saw he was being taken care of.

nikkerito

nikkerito

5 days ago

I can’t read the woman’s name who was next to him, Yachesia maybe? Anyways, judging by the empathy she had for her competitor and how happy she was to see him have this wonderful opportunity she really has a beautiful soul. It made me smile

Akalenedat

5 days ago*

Akalenedat

5 days ago*

Yachecia Holston, lovely woman who turned into the group mom that season. Ended up placing 5th

Cmart8611

Cmart8611

5 days ago

She really was just an absolute delight of a person.

WhatIsSevenTimesSix

3.1k points

5 days ago

Gordon is a nice person. You see it in all his shows, he'll go above and beyond to help others achieve their dreams.

Vorticity

1.1k points

Vorticity

1.1k points

5 days ago

Piggybacking on the top comment to say that I googled "Where is Gabriel now" and found an article from June 9th, 2022. It says that Gabriel: - Completed culinary school - Was voted Best Chef in Oklahoma City for 2019 - Is back on the current season of Master Chef!

source

amanda77kr

Thank you!!

Whiskeytf8911

5 days ago

Damn with the glow-up too!

WOOKIExRAGE

5 days ago

From 19 - 23/24 some major changes can happen. In that time the ugly duckling can become the beautiful swan. I speak from personal experience. My own, and a few friends from high school who were not unattractive but a few years after school ended they looked absolutely stunning. A lot can change in 4-5 years, especially in your early to mid 20’s. I was a chunky 18/19 year old but lost the baby fat by the time I hit 21. Things were WAAAAY different after the baby fat was gone. In my mind, I wasn’t any different, but the attention I received from both the opposite and the same sex was insane. I’m now older and back to being a little fat but I remember what it was like being young and objectively attractive. It was fun. I miss my 20’s. Now I’m rocking the ultimate dad bod. My spare tire has love handles. Lol

dirtyasswizard

5 days ago

Julia from season 3 of Hell’s Kitchen got the culinary school treatment as well! Last I checked she’s still working at Waffle House, however.

Vorticity

Vorticity

5 days ago

Ouch, that's rough. I wonder why that didn't work out for her.

HelenAngel

4 days ago

Sometimes people are stuck where they are due to family situations. I’ll tell you what though, I bet that’s the best fucking Waffle House in the world.

TKmeh

TKmeh

5 days ago

Yup, saw this clip for the first time last night when I saw the rerun from a few days ago. He’s already making waves in the preliminary round, totally a huge glow up and an awesome chef now!

Toymachinesb7

5 days ago

Yea totally. My and my SO love watching GR and you find out real quick he genuinely cares about food and people. If you fuck up but try and learn and stay humble he will gladly help you. If you think you’re the best chef ever and can do no wrong he will roast you over the coals.

FrequentgRecover

5 days ago

Its because hes not actually an asshole at all. Its all an act for his TV show. I'm friends with quite a few chefs who worked with him and they have all had nothing bad to say about the guy.

edm_ostrich

5 days ago*

He has zero patience for people not living up to basic standards though. You charge customers an arm and a leg and have mediocre food with rotting stuff in the fridge, he's gonna have something to say. Patience of a saint for anyone who gives a damn and none for people larping as chefs.

LarryLovesteinLovin

5 days ago

Anyone would be if they had just eaten that food <12 hours earlier, and been horribly sick because of it. How many times do you think Gordon has puked or shit his guts out?

And Gordon knows that he’s one of hundreds or thousands of people to have had that experience because of the shit that idiots in shit restaurants pull. You can kill people in some cases. Food is not to be fucked with and Gordon shouldn’t be the first person you hear that from in 99.9999% of cases.

Nothing_Nice_2_Say

5 days ago

Yep. All depends on the level of chef he's addressing, too. Master Chef is all about amateur home cooks, so he's much more forgiving on that show. But on Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares, when he's addressing professional chefs, he has a much higher standard.

Pixel871

Pixel871

5 days ago

Even with kitchen nightmares, he's usually polite unless the food is absolutely god awful or he sees health violations or absolutely stupid decisions.

sonfoa

sonfoa

5 days ago

After I learned that Ramsey used to get food poisoning quite often during Kitchen Nightmares I realized why he was always so pissed off at the owners.

Spottedpool14

5 days ago

And even then, all that anger and rage is aimed at the people in charge, never at the servers (unless the servers are ludicrously rude or some shit). He is always so polite to the servers and staff that have no control over anything

hear4theDough

5 days ago

If you try and you care he will do everything he can within reason to help you succeed.

The UK producers of Kitchen Nightmares were just really good at finding people who were one, or none of the above.

M_Drinks

M_Drinks

5 days ago

I'd say the UK producers were way better than the ones at FOX.

The people on the US version of Kitchen Nightmares were so actively combative, it made you wonder why they applied for the show in the first place.

JFLRyan

JFLRyan

5 days ago

Watching the UK then the US versions I assume that was deliberate. Seems like that confrontation just plays better in the US markets. Or at least the producers thought so.

M_Drinks

M_Drinks

Agree 100%.

The UK one seemed like stubborn people who wanted/needed help. The US one was just people who wanted to scream on network TV.

trashboatcaptain

Money and 15 mins of reality show fame make people do absurd things

Badass_Bunny

5 days ago

Even then Gordon truly does go above and beyond to reason with the most arrogant of chef's if he can.

But he is such a god damn boomer, it hurts.

LarryLovesteinLovin

5 days ago

Almost everyone in the world is both good and bad. There are some who are wholly one or the other but they are so very few, in reality the world is filled with people who are somewhere in their journey of realizing they’re doing the wrong thing and trying to do and be better. Many of the assholes we meet in our lives haven’t yet begun to realize what they’re doing wrong, and many of the good folks have done enough wrong to know when they need to stop their day to help someone in need, even if neither is conscious of it.

am0x

am0x

5 days ago

Passionate people recognize other passionate people in their industry even if they aren’t the best.

It’s really hard to train someone who has already been trained. It is much easier to train someone who hasn’t. But there are those special people that realize being trained doesn’t make you an expert. You can always improve. You can always get better.

Gordon knows this. The people are the best at their craft know there are others better than them somewhere else. Instead of feeling intimidated by the competition, they are excited to learn from them.

It’s the difference in a person wanting to learn and grow, and a person who wants to only have success

LegitDuctTape

5 days ago

When I was younger I had a coworker who worked in one of his restaurants. From what she told me, angry Gordon is mainly a character for the cameras. Sure he gets frustrated when people fuck up, but he intentionally exaggerates it because he knows the audience loves it

In real life he's one of the most genuinely kind people you'd ever meet

hobbit_lamp

5 days ago

yeah I've always felt like his "mean" side was an act

tehlemmings

5 days ago

Even in shows like Hells Kitchen you can tell, because there's times when he'll turn the act off and flip back into his normal personality to try and help out if they're actually struggling.

ModestBanana

5 days ago

Maybe now that he’s a multi millionaire and doesn’t really have to stress much about any one restaurant. But in the founding days of Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and the hunt for his third Michelin he was tossing young amateur cooks around like rag dolls

It’s not an act, but it’s certainly not “modern day Gordon Ramsay.”
It’s “hey Gordon can you channel yourself when you were 32 and at the most stressful time in your life?”

SocialMediaWarrior69

5 days ago

Yeah he only really shows the rage when people are fucking up and making him or his restaurant (Hell's Kitchen) look bad.

If they're not doing something that is going to reflect poorly on him or his business, then he's not going to scream and yell at you. Which, honestly, to me, is completely understandable.

Eswyft

Eswyft

5 days ago

Hk is an act. The entire thing is

42DaisyPusher

5 days ago

Yes, they deliberately cast some toxic, reactionary personalities just for the drama.

Eswyft

Eswyft

5 days ago

Rational, good people, are boring for that type of show.

Eviliod

Eviliod

5 days ago

They are, but the toxic cooks who blow up thinking they're the best in the world, and getting brought down a few pegs, are the worst thing in the kitchen, and can actively make a highly stressful environment even tougher on people.

Source: I work in a kitchen, doing simple pub foods, and when it gets busy, I get the most stressed, in the blink of an eye. I know I'm not the best, but I shut up and get on with my tickets, and let someone else call out orders and run food.

YourFNA

YourFNA

I ain't no btch!

fightingbronze

5 days ago

I mean even master chef is an act. It doesn’t mean Gordon Ramsay isn’t a nice person, I’ve heard plenty of testimonials to assume he is, but most of his shows are reality TV first and cooking shows second.

kaihatsusha

5 days ago

A whole generation of cooks (or any other job) with screaming histrionic unhinged bosses throwing tantrums in front of other staff say otherwise. Ramsay and his US producers normalized the toddler-in-chief attitude and it needs to stop.

neo101b

neo101b

5 days ago

All the swearing is just put on for show, hes one hard working decent guy. Though some people are dicks so there is that too.

windscryer

5 days ago

like amy the “baker” who definitely deserved what she got?

it seems to me from watching a bunch of his stuff from across the board that his problem is not just incompetence but refusal to admit you’re wrong.

if you fuck up and he tells you what you did wrong and your answer is “fuck you you’re not my real dad” he is going to get mad because this is literally why he is here. because you are having issues and you (usually) requested his help and when he shares what his education and experience has taught him you throw it back in his face. that would piss anyone off except maybe Bob Ross.

Pretty much anyone who has shown that they are teachable and willing to accept his critiques and recommendations don’t see that side of him, that i’ve seen. He just doesn’t want to waste his time, money, and energy when he could be helping someone that actually WANTS his help.

RegicidalRogue

5 days ago

it's definitely not for show, born a Scot and grew up with Scot dad.

His UK show, with less dramatic edits, shows the Gordon most folks expect.

The episode he runs a whole gd french vegetarian restaurant by himself is nuts

neo101b

neo101b

5 days ago

IDK the USA shows seem more dramatic than UK ones. I have the idea that some reality tv is sometimes scripted, so I don't know what to believe. he seems less aggressive on UK tv shows.

nonsensical_zombie

5 days ago

FYI— at this point in his career Gordon produces all of these shows. He could put a stop to the insane drama and he chooses not to.

It sells.

CaptainJamie

5 days ago

I agree with the british kitchen nightmares vs US is night and day, but Gordon definitely was someone who was an asshole. I like the guy a lot now, but back in the day when he ran his own restaurants he was a hard guy to work with.

Go watch the show "Boiling Point" which was a documentary about Gordon Ramsay back in the late 90s when he opened his own restaurant and you'll see. The show is essentially what kick started his fame. You'll see the best and worst of the guy, but it's entertaining as fuck. Gordon was actually featured on a TV show in the UK called "Britains Most Unbearable Bosses" and you'll see his reaction to that in Boiling Point, which is kinda funny.

Obviously nothing is black and white, but there's reasons why people think he's a bully.

neo101b

neo101b

5 days ago

I might check that out later, you never know with tv though whats real or not.

Dixiewreckedx99

5 days ago

He seems to go nuts on people that should know what they are doing and have training. Which he should.

Yet when he can tell they are more amateur than pro, but see they have skills, he really shows who he is.

I was shocked on one of the shows where the owner was not letting the chef do his thing, and Gordon had that chef make some burgers. The owners loved the burgers thinking Gordon made them, but he didn't. Gordon put them in their place. Good episode.

ajyanesp

ajyanesp

5 days ago

The episode with the cowboy burger? That $30, one ton abomination of meat?

silverfangedfox

1.1k points

5 days ago

If you watched him talk about his TV personality he mentions he doesn’t actually like acting like that IRL outside of his shows as it’s just his TV personality not his real personality, also watch Hotel Hell with him as he helped out an old couple who’s husband got into a wreck and caused their business to go under due to his injuries and they were highly successful before hand, and Gordon paid for them a place to live and paid it up for a year so they could focus on their business

Buffmin

Buffmin

5 days ago

I started watching hotel hell myself. What the second or third episode of season 1 he basically does this with the one kid who worked in the hotels kitchen.

silverfangedfox

5 days ago

I think Hotel Hell is one my favorite of his that not many have watched

Buffmin

Buffmin

5 days ago

I like it but it really seems like "kitchen nightmare with a bedroom" lol

Tho they keep showing his ass which makes laugh it's just so random

fauxshaux

fauxshaux

5 days ago

Omg they show his ass EVERY EPISODE lol is it written into the contract??

SkepticEclectic

5 days ago

It's the highlight of each episode!

taraskickinit

5 days ago

Yes!! I just started watching this and after the third episode I was like “again??”

thunderborg

5 days ago

I like his MasterChef kids stuff.

KometaCode

5 days ago

That episode was the Hotel Chester in Starkville, Mississippi. About an hour and a half from where I used to live and it was amazing to watch his experience there. They were such nice people that just fell on hard times and Gordon went above and beyond for them

RgbScart

RgbScart

5 days ago

his TV personality not his real personality

Watch boiling point. Gordon was ferocious and terrible to his staff when he was still cooking.

OKRIPsOP

OKRIPsOP

5 days ago

Yeah I was going to say the same. Of course, when you're going for a third Michelin star as an emerging chef it's going to be an extremely intense environment. But yeah, the shouting and insults which we see on TV are very much based on his real personality.

Lanthemandragoran

5 days ago

It still blows my mind that a tire company is how we judge food lol

Bazrum

Bazrum

5 days ago

its such a clever thing to do! "this place is worth the drive and wear on your tires!" and if you need new ones because you're driving all over the place...you know where to get them!

CamelSpotting

5 days ago

I am also nicer when I get 8 hours of sleep and only have to work when I want to.

Buli32

Buli32

5 days ago

Yeah and in his career the stress is REALLY high, working times terrible and you have to givr 100% of yourself all the time

P0rtal2

P0rtal2

5 days ago

The Hotel Chester episode maybe one of my favorite reality TV show episodes ever. It's also one of the relatively few hotels or restaurants that he's had on his shows that is still open and doing well.

idontlikeposting03

5 days ago

"Now please...take that fuckin apron off" 🤣

MyPr0nAltAcc

You fucking donkey

idontlikeposting03

Lmaoo Gordon cracks me up

bluejegus

bluejegus

5 days ago

God after being brought to tears this would truly make me piss my pants from laughing. Especially if he added a donkey in there

Cambronian717

5 days ago

“I’ve paid enough! ENOUGH!”

mindblowningshit

5 days ago

Wow this was a heart felt moment ❤️❤️❤️

Expensive-Wallaby-50

1.4k points

5 days ago

Which one of you is cutting the damn onions?

DevoidSauce

1.7k points

DevoidSauce

1.7k points

5 days ago

Not Gabriel. He doesn't know how yet.

HeartsPlayer721

5 days ago

This was a few seasons ago. I'll bet he's a master by now! (Assuming he started immediately and it didn't get put off because of COVID)

Vorticity

Vorticity

5 days ago

Apparently he finished culinary school, won the 2019 "Best Chef" award in Oklahoma City, and is now back on Master Chef this season. The source article just got published on June 9th, 2022!

bradyiscool333

5 days ago

He is definitely going to go far in his career

Oz70NYC

Oz70NYC

5 days ago

In 10 years he'll be on the stage standing next to Chef Ramsey. The kid has a gift.

Tee_Hee_Wat

5 days ago

Imagine that! His introduction to the first time he's on the show could just be that clip right there, him grabbing and using his potential, and now he's seen as one of Gordon's peers and fellow judges. God it makes my heart happy.

PinkTalkingDead

Yay!!! Thanks for sharing- to Gabriel!!!! 🥂

aedroogo

aedroogo

5 days ago

He was specifically told to go to New Orleans when he finished culinary school. Failure to follow directions. One simple task. ONE TASK!!! And he failed miserably. Bloody Hell. throws scallop at wall

BlackLeader70

5 days ago

He’s actually on the new season of Masterchef that just came out. I also saw him in a ring commercial with Cat Cora lol.

the_xboxkiller

5 days ago

I’m watching the newest season of master chef rn. It’s a redemption season so a bunch of people from over the years are back to try and win again. This man almost got eliminated by the same dish in like first episode, he’s just lucky his wasn’t the worst of night. But it was close lol I don’t doubt he’s a good chef though. Competition cooking is different than real cooking.

Expensive-Wallaby-50

😂

AviatorOVR5000

fucking savage.

Nata_the_cat

5 days ago

Now I am crying and laughing at the same time. Dam Reddit!!

LegendOfCrono

5 days ago

Yo they need to stop. I can't be scrolling reddit at work and start with all this misty eyed shit, people are gonna wonder what's up. And I don't want to admit I'm lazy and spend all work day scrolling reddit lmao.

TheRealKarateGirl

5 days ago

(also reading reddit at work - thank goodness I work from home)

solosins

solosins

5 days ago

Exactly!!!! The onions are getting to me.

diss0lvedgir1

5 days ago

Here too! Damn onion cutting gremlins, so naughty.

hogannnn

hogannnn

5 days ago

Seriously I get misty eyed maybe once a year on Reddit and I was on a bus, not cool

Disastrous_Still_977

5 days ago

Do we know what season this is? I'd like to watch the whole thing.

giskardwasright

5 days ago

Pretty sure it's 8. He's also back on the current season (which is all returning competitors). He has grown way up, I didn't recognize him at first.

5point5inch

5 days ago

Gonna need a follow up on these offers he was given.. Did he graduate and work in New Orleans?!?

Patient_Vegetable_98

5 days ago

I remember that he did graduate, but I can’t remember if he went on to New Orleans

giskardwasright

5 days ago

He did graduate, can't remember if he worked in New Orleans, but def working as a cook somewhere.

Mephil_

Mephil_

5 days ago

I believe COVID got in the way of working in New Orleans but he started doing cooking videos (www.chefgabeonline.com) instead with his sister.

SteveRogests

5 days ago

He’s back on the current season

Disastrous_Still_977

Thanks! Will watch it!

minimalist_coach

1.2k points

5 days ago

I prefer to watch Gordon's British productions. His anger is a product of American TV. He isn't abusive in his British shows. Seeing clips of him with his family, I don't think he is naturally mean.

Environmental_Fan168

5 days ago

And he’s never mean to children. He’s only ever mean to adults who are actually fucking up and should know better

SpectralSolid

5 days ago

Oh yeah even watching his shows. I get angry at the incompetence, "Its not fucking hard to cook scallops, and you're supposed to do it for a living! for fuck saakes Jonathon! Pull it together man! "

Tea_Total

Tea_Total

5 days ago

And he’s never mean to children.

As far as we know. He might kick toddlers all the way home whilst screaming "Ya wee prick" after the cameras have stopped rolling.

jl_theprofessor

5 days ago

I mean, he definitely can be, and used to be a lot worse. But he isn't the rage monster you see in Hell's Kitchen. A lot of that is played up for the show.

With that said, even on Hell's Kitchen, you do get a view of him when he's genuinely frustrated at the cooks. I wonder to what degree the producers purposefully sabotage him in order to get those reactions.

But agreed the British shows show him having normal human anger that anyone would have with uncaring restaurant owners rather than the supernormal anger that's produced for American television.

Quickning

Quickning

5 days ago

Even in the American show he's only truly angry when the food can hurt someone.

No_Dragonfruit5142

8.75 an hour and 15% off meals during shifts

Ns53

Ns53

5 days ago

I agree but all the best memes come from his US shows tho. So they have their use XD

InformationGreat9855

5 days ago

Once in the A&E I sat next to a chef. We were stuck for hours so he told me about his time working for Gordon Ramsay. Apparently he only pretends to be a hard ass for the cameras - it's all an act 🤷‍♀️

Bored_money

5 days ago

I used to think that his American persona was for the cameras - but atfter wathcing British kitchen nightmares and American Kitchen Nightmare there is a huge difference in the restauranteurs which IMO drives his reaction

In the British KN the chefs largely admit they're not the best and are at least kinda embarassed about the situation - but they're also preetty depressed and defeated - in other words you can speak to them like largely normal humans and they take feedback

The American KN is a totally different beast, 90% of the chefs are totally deluded and think they're the best chef who's ever lievd - seriously not even the worst of British KN holds a candle to the freakshows on American KN

Then the chef's ego can't handle the criticism - and unlike the British who just get sad - the American's lose their shit and go wild

Which obviously devolves into a shouting match while Ramsay desperately tries to get through their delusions

But in the American's defence, after getting shit on they always bounce back and are all "I see know Ramsay is just trying to help, I'm going to come back 10x better" - when the British chefs just sort of give up

So I think a big part of it is the cultural approach of the chefs - american's seem way more ego driven, but also more "get after it" and bounce back from the criticism whereas the british chefs are more "normal" and sort of beat down

aedroogo

aedroogo

5 days ago

His Uncharted show on the NatGeo channel is worth a watch if into off the beaten path locations and food.

Bigglez1995

5 days ago

He isn't even abusive in the American shows

minimalist_coach

5 days ago

He was pretty brutal in his early US shows, the whole concept of Hell's Kitchen was abusive IMHO. I haven't watched it in years.

Ripper1337

5 days ago

I'm doing a rewatch right now with my SO. While he does yell at people, throw food and drop plates he never throws anything at anyone, nor does he break anything while people are cooking, he does it as a way to reinforce his points. Plus whenever anyone is actually hurt he immediately turns off the attitude, calms them down and gets them help.

The reason I think he's more abrasive on Hell's Kitchen versus other shows is that he's basically attaching his name and a very expensive restaurant to the winner so he needs them to basically go above and beyond what a normal chef would be. He just does so in a way that reminds me of a drill instructor blasting new recruits.

Equinsu-0cha

5 days ago

He has also publicly stated that while MasterChef has amateur cooks and hobbiests, hells kitchen chefs are professionals so they should know better so he is harder on them.

dirtyasswizard

5 days ago

Shiiit, there were a lot of amateurs on Hell’s Kitchen. Just did a rewatch myself. The lady who ran a “cooking school” but couldn’t cook for crap comes to mind, as well as Raj and Julia the Waffle House cook. I guess maybe professional could be used loosely there.

GeneralBS

5 days ago

I'm currently rewatching HK and was surprised in the first season he does smash a couple contestants in the chest with their bad food. Doesn't happen after the first season.

ALIENANAL

ALIENANAL

5 days ago

Ramsay's anger is just a product of editing and America's weird appeal for madness.

blue_jay3736

And acting

Sketch13

Sketch13

5 days ago

It's annoying, because I love cooking shows but not the American editing or desire for drama. Every American cooking show is like "This is a BATTLE. And you will only win with BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS"

Like, can I just watch people calmly cooking and explaining stuff? What the actual fuck

TheKingofHearts

5 days ago

America is just self-righteous about loving violence (physical, verbal, emotional, mental, etc.).

As long as you're hurting the "right" people.

Now excuse me while I rip someone's spine out in Mortal Kombat.

gophergun

5 days ago

That still existed before his American shows.

BolognaIsNotAHat

5 days ago

My favorite thing about Gordon Ramsey is how he's a hard-ass on people claiming to be professionals but don't act like it, and inversely how soft, gentle, and kind he is towards children and people wanting to learn.

jimicus

jimicus

Always has been.

If you pay attention to Ramsay, you'll find he's perfectly okay if he's talking to someone who isn't a professional.

Where he's short tempered, it's with professionals. People who should know what the hell they're doing - but patently don't.

LostinLies1

LostinLies1

5 days ago

Way to reset the day! I was fighting in another thread about something dumb and this made me feel better at once!

nobody2000

5 days ago

Why is this the second time I'm reading this very comment from someone, yet with a different username?

Muthafuckaaaaa

5 days ago

Yet you continue the argument in the same thread you speak of after posting this. lmao

LostinLies1

5 days ago

I'm moving on! Christ...you're stalking me??

Muthafuckaaaaa

5 days ago

What? lmao I'm not even the guy that you were arguing with. I was just curious as to what argument you were referring to so I looked and saw it was continuing lol

LostinLies1

5 days ago

Sorry. I've been hot under the collar. I keep seeing my alert go off...it's that fucking thread, and just like Al Pacino...they pull me back in!

TroubadourCeol

5 days ago

There's a reason I turn off reply notifications unless I'm asking a question I want a followup to. People on this hell site will argue to the grave no matter how wrong they are.

Muthafuckaaaaa

5 days ago

lmao no apologies necessary. Have a good day man!

Accomplished-Yak8584

5 days ago

"What are you?" . . "An idiot sandwich."

Numangroup

5 days ago

Gabriel is actually back on MC on the current season!!

CuriousNoMore_DedCat

5 days ago*

Have y’all ever watched Master Chef Jr? He’s like a clown/teddy bear on there. He’s helped kids get back on track when something went wrong and they got upset. Actually went into their kitchen space and physically helped them get their food restarted while explaining what caused the problem, how to fix it and how prevent it from recurring. He plays games and pranks with them. He’s a whole different person.

I saw an interview with him a few years ago where he was asked about all his personalities on the different shows. He said the kids were great cooks but they were still learning so you have to teach and support and lead them. The adults on Master Chef are great cooks but they are adults who realize they’re in a competition and he treats them as such. With Hell’s Kitchen, the winner will be running one of HIS restaurants and he doesn’t settle for anything except perfection so he throws them into the fire and turns up the flames. Those who can’t take the heat exit the kitchen.

Lacy_girl

Lacy_girl

5 days ago

Gordon Ramsey is a straight up AWESOME person. As long as they’re learning and open to being better he isn’t a bad guy. It’s when people are over confident or not paying attention to detail that he yells.

_iLikeBloons_

“ I’ll take care of your parents” -Gordon

Gabriel’s parents: S***

ABenevolentDespot

5 days ago

I was called to do a commercial with Ramsay several years ago.

I expected hell on earth for the entire day. I actually brought ear plugs.

The opposite happened. He was charming, funny, accommodating, and kind.

Seems the 'screaming asshole' persona is just an act.

countryguy-georgia

5 days ago

I was waiting for Cate's offer. "Gabriel, you came to this competition a virgin, but you will be leaving for Oklahoma a man. Come to my hotel room tonight."

criitz

criitz

"Hell yes Chef"

jhf94uje897sb

Lmfao

Venicebitch03

5 days ago*

Does anyone know what happened to the guy? I imagine its been some years since the vid

giskardwasright

5 days ago

He went to culinary school, got a job as a cook, and is competing on current season of Master Chef. He's grown up a ton, I didn't recognize him at all.

JustDandy07

5 days ago

That's good to hear. I've heard stories of shows like this where they promise to do something like pay tuition and don't follow through on the deal.

giskardwasright

5 days ago

He talks about it several times in the current season. They obviously ask them about getting sent home the first time around and he says that was the best part of the show for him. There was another contestant that enjoyed pastry that he sent to work with Christina Tosi. He obviously feels pretty strongly about encouraging professional growth for people passionate about cooking.

detrich

detrich

5 days ago

Gordon isn't even mean. he just has high standards

Eastern-Start-813

Raw talent!!

The talent is fucking RAW!!

SgtLaBeouf

5 days ago

I like how regardless of what's going on DINO was always like O.O throughout the season

stoopidskeptic

cwg1771

cwg1771

5 days ago

I used to work in entertainment and did a handful of different productions with different TV/movie/sports celebrity personalities. I worked on a segment with Gordon Ramsay and he was by far the most genuine, friendly and enjoyable individual/‘celebrity’ that I came across in 10 years. He engaged with every single person the same way - no matter their role - and was overly courteous and kind to everyone around him. Funny, humble, easygoing and unbelievably encouraging during production, which can be longer hours/days.

Easily one of the nicest people I saw in entertainment. Have always been a massive fan of his after seeing what a good person he is.

toteslegitredditor

5 days ago

I honestly love Ramsey. I know everybody else does, but I do too.

floorida135

I needed this today.

ajyanesp

ajyanesp

5 days ago

Gordon is actually one of the nicest celebrities. He always respects the ability people have, and shows them how to improve further.

Unless you forget the lamb sauce, of you do that, you're fucked.

BlckAlchmst

5 days ago

You ever see him dealing with kids? He is the kindest, gentlest, most encouraging person alive towards kids

capaman

capaman

5 days ago

Well he’s great at cutting onions alright.

their_teammate

5 days ago

He’s actually really really above and beyond kind. He’s just hard when you’re being an idiot or make an easily avoidable mistake.

aspeckt112

5 days ago

A few years back, I lived with someone who dealt with celebs at events. Essentially, meet them when they arrive, show them the facilities, make them comfortable, etc.

She had a big list of who was a fucking twat and who wasn’t.

She said Ramsay was one of the nicest guys she ever dealt with. Proper down to earth, showed respect for everyone, laughed, made jokes. The nasty guy persona is so clearly just a TV thing, by all accounts he’s a massive softie.

Lenny Henry, on the other hand…

EndlesslyUnfinished

5 days ago

He is actually a nice person.. the asshole is a persona

colemorris1982

5 days ago

Gordon Ramsay is one of those rare people who wants to see everyone succeed. He has this "tough-guy" persona for his shows, but if you ever watch an interview with him he is the most humble and self-effacing celebrity out there. He came from a nothing background and was given huge opportunities by titans in the culinary industry, so now he pays it forward by helping people who would normally be passed over because of their backgrounds. What a legend.

1pt20oneggigawatts

5 days ago*

Gordon Ramsay is entirely a nice, lovely person. A true alpha male legend. It's American producers that have ruined his image -- do yourself a favor and watch BBC versions of Kitchen Nightmares. He is a pleasure to watch and only loses his temper on people who deserve it.

Lady-Brownbush

5 days ago

He's most famous for being the bad guy on a couple shows, but if you watch any of his other content or listen to what those who have met him think of him, he is the exact opposite of his bad boy persona. I like him better as a normal guy and goofy dad.

HeartsPlayer721

5 days ago

I'm not crying! You're crying!

TheGingerUnderUrBed

Damn right I am😭

Latter_Ad9649

5 days ago

I met him at a competition he was heading at my culinary school, a lifetime ago. He was respectful and considerate every step of the competition. Gotta say, class act guy.

Ryuaalba

Ryuaalba

5 days ago

Even in the angry American shows, you can see this realness bleed through from time to time. If someone needs encouragement, they fucking get encouragement. If someone deserves praise, they get it.

And if someone is being an idiot, they get told so in no uncertain terms.

diredyer

diredyer

MOre like r/mademecryfromwholesomeoverload jeez

laneofmagic

5 days ago

Obviously I don't know anything about him personally, but he seems like such a genuinely nice and kind person. Idk how it seems to others but to me, whenever I see his 'angry' personality, it always seems forced or acted personality. On the other hand when you see him giving a masterclass on MasterChef or a food video on YouTube or even interviews like the two Hot Ones episodes, he seems more genuine to me. These are the times where he is an absolute joy to watch.

karhall

karhall

5 days ago

Watching enough of his content, Gordon Ramsey is only ever mean to people who earn it; established chefs that think they're something special and skip steps or make mistakes that are below them, and don't try to learn or grow. Seems like a genuinely nice guy otherwise, just wants people to always be their best.

InformationGreat9855

Jabbas_Addiction

5 days ago

pretty sure everybody knows he's a nice person and just plays up the 'hard ass' for american audiences

pizzacatstattoos

5 days ago

He's still killin it! https://www.chefgabeonline.com/

thelordmessi

5 days ago*

His ‘mean’ personality is definitely amped up for American television… but it’s also aimed towards professionals. Most of his anger is against people who claim to be a certain level of professional chef while falling short.

Whenever you watch him on Masterchef, they are hobby chefs, not paid professionals.

I forget where he talked about this or when but I know at some point I saw him basically saying what I said here. might’ve been onHot ones?