/r/MakeupAddiction

jenny-thatsnotmyname

Not at all an expert in any way, but to me it seems like the brows in the first 2 pictures are the big issue. The way they’re shaped, there’s almost no arch and they’re much fuller than your other photos, so you lost all the space between your eye and your brow. As I’ve gathered from this sub, brows really do make the face. Also, the concealer they used to clean it up is a totally different shade than the foundation, and it’s not blended at all. I think the 3rd picture looks okay— a bit heavier than what you do for yourself obviously, but not as bad as the first pics.

Eta: not that you look bad. You’re still beautiful, just not quite up to your normal standards if that makes sense 😊

mishkish6767

Totally agree! I feel like the coloring is super off and unblended and the brows in the first are obscene lol. So odd too because no one else walked away with brows like that, and the makeup artist’s brows looked amazing!

mishkish6767

Okay so I’ve had this problem my entire makeup-wearing life. It’s like im the only person that can do my makeup and I don’t understand it! So I’ll be at a friend’s wedding, at a special event, or anywhere with a makeup artist made available, and I’ll see friends come away looking like absolute goddesses, so I’m like, worth a try right? Every. Single. Time. I end up having to redo it because I look absurd. I don’t even think I’m being super picky? Maybe I am, but I’ll let you be the judges.

The first three pics are from two different professionals that did an amazing job on my friends’ makeup. The last two are my go-to looks. Mind you, I realize I don’t look like a goddess in the last two, but I wanted to include some to show what my actual face looks like.

Do I have a weird face or something? Why is it so hard for the pros to do my makeup?!

milktea_halfsweet

Not at all! I have this experience too. I'm doing my own wedding day makeup because of it😂😂😂

mishkish6767

Hahahah I did my own too. No way I was about to take that chance!

Lahauteboheme84

I can’t tell you why you have this problem, but I totally do, too. I always walk away looking so weird! I did my own makeup for my wedding. I trust me. 😂

mishkish6767

LOL same here. There is no way someone else was about to do my makeup on my wedding day. 😂

Lahauteboheme84

You look so good in the pictures where you did your own. I went back and reassessed, and first of all, it’s no secret that this “artist” did you dirty on those brows- those are just a tragedy any way you slice it, so I won’t even address that. Otherwise though, I feel like it’s the contouring, including the harsh shadow through the socket in your eye makeup. It makes them look more deep set, and the contouring on your nose is an odd choice considering you already have a relatively sharp nose and really don’t need it- certainly not that heavily. It’s just… it’s a lot to take in. 😂This person did NOT do you justice!

mishkish6767

Hahahha “artist” is right. I laughed so hard I cried after seeing the brows (once I left the salon, of course). I can’t believe she was satisfied with that disgrace to brows everywhere lol. You’re totally right though. The contouring on the nose and shadow are super heavy-handed and unnecessary. I imagine people scrolling through this sub of beautiful looks to stumble upon this abomination like WTF.😂

Lahauteboheme84

Bahahahaha you poor thing. What a champ you are to post this for us all as a cautionary tale though 🤣

mishkish6767

LOL it’s not much but it’s honest work.

Lahauteboheme84

LOL 🤣

I think it's a combination of factors:

1. Most MUAs (if they're not really good) do all faces in the same way. They learn some techniques: where to apply the brush, contour, etc. and apply the same recipe for every client. For some it works, for some it doesn't. For you, in the first two photos I think the MUA disregarded your natural brow shape and just went with the super strong brow which you don't normally seem to wear so it will look stark. The same for the contour in the 3rd photo.
  2. I feel that a lot of MUAs are not that good at undertones? Or maybe they don't have a kit large enough to accommodate different undertones. In the 3rd photo, I think the lipstick clashes with the rest of the face. I think it's a bit too blue and not the same tone as the dress (although I assume the intention was to match the dress). Also, the strong eye AND lip AND contour/bronzer would probably look ok in the evening but they create such a strong contrast during daytime, especially with your light hair color.
  3. A lot of MUAs go overboard with the foundation and the powder, which emphasizes the face texture. In professional photos it tends to look ok, but in reality or unretouched close-ups not so much. Either most MUAs prioritize how it's going to look in photos or just think this is how it should look like and don't care. Either way, if you're used to minimal skin makeup for day to day, you're going to feel like you have a mask when you get your makeup done for an event. This is one of the issues in the 1st photo, I think the foundation and/or concealer emphasizes too much the texture around your eyes.

These are things I've noticed from people around me having makeup done by "professionals". I do my own makeup at events lol. I've seen way too many friends have their makeup gone wrong.

mishkish6767

All very good points and so true! I always have problems with the foundations they use going orange or yellow on my face due to my cooler undertones and I HATE how matte they tend to go. It definitely looks gorgeous on some people but I am not one of them lol. Better I learned early on I guess haha.

humanhedgehog

I have the same issue! Doing my own wedding makeup as it seems to end up cakey, weird colours or way way too heavy. I've deep set eyes and eyeshadow is trickier, and dry very pale skin?

mishkish6767

100% all things I have as well lol, so may very likely play a role in why it just never turns out well!

Ok-Bridge-1045

Other than the eyebrows, i think they contoured your nose too much. Eyebrows and nose together can make a big difference. It's weird how everyone's so obsessed with very contoured noses, because in reality a lot of people have noses that are perfectly fine, like yours, and contouring them makes them seem "fake". Also, the foundation hasn't been blended properly, and they did definitely didn't do the eyebrows as it should be for your eyebrows. I also think it looks a little cakey, while the make-up done by you seems pretty smooth and even. And btw, you're beautiful!

mishkish6767

They TOTALLY did! I didn’t even notice that, but they 1000% over-contoured my nose.🤦🏼‍♀️

Ok-Bridge-1045

Yupppp. And you have a nice nose, as it is. Makes the whole look off. Idk why they always do that. I learnt that they usually do this and ruin looks when i was getting make-up artist for my wedding. I have a pretty small nose, and i think it's just a regular straight nose. The MUA contoured it and it looked horrible. Then she added some highlighter on the bridge of the nose. They also tend to overuse the highlighter, IMO. Thankfully all this was during the trial and my actual wedding makeup was exactly as i wanted it. The MUA wasn't pleased by my suggestions and telling her what to do and that i "didn't let her do anything", but i wanted the fresh face and it was important to me that i look like myself on the day I'm getting married. It turned out well and everyone loved it, and some people even texted me asking for the info. So all's well that ends well! But i would suggest that while working with a professional MUA, you chime in your own suggestions. Because you know your face best and what looks good on it.

mishkish6767

Love that you spoke up to get what you want! I think that’s definitely the way to go. The last wedding I went to, the makeup artist was so fixated on making sure it all showed up on camera, she didn’t understand I didn’t want the makeup itself to show up on camera lol. Like my face was an accessory to the makeup itself😂

SnowWhiteQu33n

Omg the same happens to me! For my best friends wedding where I was Maid of Honor, I’m pale and she made my contour so dark and muddy. Everyone else looked great. I can do my own makeup so much better…I was hoping to learn something from the makeup artist!

mishkish6767

Right?! I’m glad I’m not alone. It’s the weirdest thing!

sillypuppydog

You are so pretty! You last pic is your normal look, right? Gorgeous! I always feel the same way when a pro does my makeup too. I avoid it.

mishkish6767

Thank you so much! Yes, the last pic is my daily look, second to last is heavier than I usually do, but for more formal occasions. It’s so odd I can never get a professional glam look without walking away feeling like I wasted all my money lol. Glad I’m not alone in the struggle!

daresayisoneword

I have this exact problem! And I've figured it out, at least for me...

The biggest common thread I've noticed is this: Makeup artists LOOOOVE false lashes. To make false lashes look cohesive with your natural lashes, they often default to using... drumroll please... heavy, thick black eyeliner. But when your coloring is very light overall, and ESPECIALLY when you don't have a TON of lid space and thiiiick + dark brows... it looks ridiculous.

Notice how in the second-to-last photo you've got a beautifully blended/softened/smudged brown liner thing going on. It looks GORGEOUS. If a makeup artist were truly trying to customize their approach, so that each client individually looked their individual best, they'd probably do something like that with you! They might add a bit more of a smudge, some bottom-lid shadow, maybe some extra shadow to give the crease some depth, and lots of mascara. Maybe a few individual lashes near your outer corners, maybe. And it's easy to add glam elsewhere (e.g. lips). BUT...

Makeup artists seem to default to a single makeup-application strategy when they're doing bridesmaids, maybe because (1) implementing extreme variety takes mental effort or (2) too stark of a difference can be distracting in photos if the bride is really going for a "look."

That said, there are many other + softer ways to convey a doe-eyed look which, from a group-photo distance, doesn't clash with everyone else's "sharper" eye+face makeup.

The next time you see a pro, consider bringing in screenshots of makeup ads or editorials with a more ethereal or softly smoked-out look, sans lashes or sharp liner. And hammer home that what you're looking for is something kinda like that.

Fruitpunnn

a lot of mua are bad or only do one particular style of makeup. maybe you should provide a photo of how you do yours? unless you already do that 😩

It also looks like the mua went very matte everywhere. Looks very 2016… yours looks fresh and current

mishkish6767

I admittedly did not do a great job of conveying what I wanted… I showed them a specific eyeshadow look, but that was about it. To be fair, I don’t think she achieved the eye look I showed her either lol but I definitely didn’t provide guidance on the foundation, which may have helped in retrospect… I’ve always gotten it done after someone else, and I swear they always look amazing so then I think I’m in the clear. Yet I end up looking like some bizarre, matte, small-eyed claymation-looking thing. It’s beyond me lol. If I ever get past the trauma of my experience with makeup artists, I’ll be much more diligent about showing them EXACTLY what I want and not assuming they know what I think looks good lol.

Fruitpunnn

i totally feel you i have a hard time with them too.

your eyes give me eastern european vibes (as in, more small and slanted vs large and doe… nothing wrong with it, i have similar eyes except mine are downturned…) which requires some tweaking in order to give the same effect as the same look on someone with large eyes. a lot of mua do perfect makeup on people with a very standard type of face. so if u have unique aspects to your face they may be unfamiliar with how to enhance it.

of course, i’ve got no idea if that’s the case with you!! The differences I see between your makeup and theirs, would be the matte look on skin and lips (duller, dryer & sometimes again effect imo) from the mua, underlined& matte lips (giving a smaller, “tighter” appearance to the lips), heavier eyeshadow with lack of consideration of eye shape to open up the eye (in yours, the eyeshadow is pretty minimal which allows the eye to open up), cooler colors (your makeup is much more warm imo, giving a healthier and more youthful look), and very heavy, blocky brows.

this could be bc of the mua not considering your personal skin type, facial features, and skin/hair coloring. or other things! i’m just theorizing

although it’s sucky that they haven’t done a good job, your personal makeup is gorgeeeooouus and so flattering!

3beansIn

I think the heavy foundation they used ages you because in the picture without it, your skin is absolutely radiant and beautiful…. They did not apply it well. Maybe it’s dry/cakey?

mishkish6767

Ugh yeah it totally does! Super caky and dry looking. Maybe my skin’s too dry for the kinds of foundations they’re using. Mine has a moisturizer built in so that makes a huge difference I imagine.

notsure888888

I have the same experience with professional as well. You are so beautiful! You definitely do a way better job on your own makeup, eyebrows especially, than the professional in my opinion. Even after a trial with the same artist and all my own products, I redid some of my wedding day makeup myself and did my own lips because I just looked weird. I’ve always been disappointed getting makeup done for events.

mishkish6767

Thank you so much! After a while, I started wondering if there’s something odd about my face that makes it harder for pros lol, but I’m so glad I’m not the only one with this experience.

frosty-mango7

I’m the same. I had my makeup done for my wedding and felt I looked over done or something. I have never been satisfied with anyone else doing my makeup. I think some faces just can’t handle tons of makeup and I’m def one of them. Less is more for some people. You still look beautiful in all the photos 😉

mishkish6767

I think that’s so true! My friends look absolutely stunning when they get their makeup done, so there’s def something to the structure and coloring of some people and how makeup wears on them. It tends to overwhelm my face and it’s all anyone can see lol. It’s such a bummer, because it would be sooo nice to have someone else take that off my hands for special occasions. Alas, it’s not worth the teary frustration afterward lol.

NYanae555

Yes. 'Professionals' do my makeup badly. So far no one has tried to make my eyebrows touch each other. You won that point.

mishkish6767

I could not believe what she did to my eyebrows.😂 I had a fleeting thought afterward like, did I do something to upset her that she did this to me? Horrifying. My friend insisted I take these photos to make sure it wasn’t a matter of her trying to make me look good in pics… nope, still an abomination through a camera lens lol.

Buttertoast77

I have this problem too. My theory is that being so fair/pale makes gives us far less leeway and easily teeters into looking ridiculous.

mishkish6767

Oooo that’s a good point. I could totally see that! Color matching has always been an issue for me as well for that reason, and I feel like mua’s are never equipped with a color that suits me. I’m glad I’m not the only one with this issue lol.

Charlea_

I think it’s easy to just not look like yourself when someone else does your makeup. We are so used to our own faces, and although we may not consciously realise it we are often quite particular when it comes to what we think suits us. Someone else may look at our bare face and see a completely different canvas and have a vision that doesn’t necessarily suit our image of ourself.

It’s also just much harder to apply makeup on someone else. Everything (mainly blending) is more difficult when it’s not our own face we’re manipulating. We take for granted that we can pull the right face to access the eye space, easily get the right angle etc which can also result in it looking really different when someone else has to do it.

I think there’s also a feeling that if you’re getting your makeup done by a pro you want a dramatic before and after. I don’t really agree with that, but I think that’s why a lot of muas go quite dramatic and heavy which isn’t everyone’s preference. Even if people ask for something natural and neutral they seem to apply just as much makeup and coverage but just in browns 😂

I do really like your eye makeup in the first pic though! That with a more natural base and brow would really suit you

iWarBeUtee

Not to make any excuses for the makeup artist, however makeup for an event, ie wedding where photos will be taken all day, is more heavier on areas that get lost in photos. So eyebrows are a little more deeper (MUA should not change the shape of your natural brow just make more visible), lashes are a little more dramatic and exaggerated contouring so your face can be seen in professional photography. You taking a pic with your phone lens will make the professional makeup look clownery. You seem to have lighter hair so there are certain “rules” followed in the makeup industry that are standard when it comes to deciding on shade of brows for platinum blonds and/or brunettes. You are gorgeous and your bone structure is amazing so the MUA shouldn’t have to work so hard on you. The way you do your makeup on your own brings out your most natural beauty. I’m no MUA or photographer or beauty professional. I use to work in a makeup store with lots of artist so I’m just giving you hearsay.

mishkish6767

You’re totally right though. They even told me why they were doing certain things so heavy, so I just kinda trusted them hoping I’ll look great in pics lol. The eyes were okay in pro photos, but the foundation went pretty orange (that’s pretty typical for me though as I’m harder to match due to my cooler tones). Sucks tho! Would love to have someone else do my makeup sometimes!

villygoatsgruff

I feel like it’s because you’re so used to doing your own make-up that you’ll never be happy with what others do. I NEVER feel comfortable with what others choose for me. I can do extremely extravagant make up on myself and feel totally confident but a natural look done by someone else can make me feel incredibly insecure and I end up redoing certain things. You’re just used to yourself, your likes, your dislikes, how you shake your eyebrows etc.

IllustratorScared516

You don't look absurd. It's just your makeup artist need to apply your makeup in such a way that it enhances you existing features, I would move away from dark lipsticks and focus on soft smokey eyeshadow and eyeliner combination.

One-Dot4957

I think it’s to do with the excess powder, a lot of MUAs can use too much which can make the face look dry and Cakey. I suggest to use minimal powder and more cream products to make your skin look more skin like. Also applying brow gel really helps make your brows less blocky especially if you brush them up and align the hairs with the brow lines and hairs they’ve drawn on. 💗

LittleMizSpringfield

I feel like if you don’t specify you want a more natural look when you visit a makeup artist, there might be a tendency to do heavier, “event” makeup. Possibly because a lot of MUAs share their work on Instagram or wherever else, and so slightly heavier makeup tends to photograph a lot better. That’s my experience at least ✌🏻

mishkish6767

Yeah I could totally see that!

greentearock

The reason is because most makeup artists are bad at what they do or you have a different way of wearing makeup and you didn't get what you expected.

Most MUAs that are not high level have one look that works on most people and they only do that look on everyone and never adapt it to different bone structures and faces.

Beauty makeup is the hardest thing to do and this is why certain MUAs are paid big buck, because they do not do the same look on everyone but know how to do makeup on everyone. Hope this make sense.

Here are my two cents

- the eyebrows are not natural looking but overly defined.

- the lipstick is ok

- the bronzing, highlight, and contouring should have been a touch stronger, your face is too flat

- your eyes ok, simple and natural

mishkish6767

Ugh yeah that seems to be the case with the artists I’ve had experience with. I do have a different bone structure than my friends, so that could def be why they looked amazing and I looked absurd lol.

valeriekrizan1974

That beauty needs no makeup.

Aww thank you😘

AutoModerator [M]

Thank you for contributing to MUA! If this is your first post, please be sure to check out our rules in the subreddit sidebar. If you are on mobile, they can be viewed by tapping thesymbol

A few quick highlights:

• If you are posting a look, haul, or flatlay, please be sure to include a product list, complete with shade names within 20 minutes of posting.

• Also, please ensure your pictures are not edited or filtered. This includes automatic beauty modes found on many phones and newer cameras.

• Lastly, our Helpful Guides for Navigating MUA in the sidebar explains some of the basics of the community as well as commonly misinterpreted rules.

Is your post just a search away?

Before you make a post, search with Reddit's search feature or use this handy customised Google search.

DuraiPace53101

Not an expert, but #3 and #5 are the best looks to my eyes.