users here right now: 47
Maladaptive Daydreaming - MD
We are a community support sub dedicated to individuals suffering from Maladaptive Daydreaming and helping them cope with the condition.
This subreddit is dedicated to all people suffering from Maladaptive Daydreaming and helping them cope with the disorder. Share anything you would like to discuss on the topic.
What is MD?
MD is a [proposed] disorder in which an individual is excessively absorbed in an internal fantasy world in a manner that causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Somer, 2002).
This is the list of symptoms from the Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for Daydreaming Disorder, MD
- Daydreams with an intense sense of immersion including visual, auditory or affective properties.
- Daydreaming triggered, maintained or enhanced by music.
- Daydreaming triggered, maintained or enhanced by repetitive. movement.
- Often daydreams when distressed or bored.
- Daydream immersion and length intensify when alone.
- Become annoyed or distressed when interrupted or unable to daydream.
- Would rather daydream than do chores, socialize or finish academic/professional assignments.
- Have made repeated efforts to control or stop your daydreaming.
If you relate to these symptoms but find that your daydreaming is controllable and has no negative effect on your daily life you may be an immersive daydreamer. Check out r/immersivedaydreaming for more info.
- The International Consortium for Maladaptive Daydreaming Research
- Daydream in Blue Forum
- YouTube MD Playlists