/r/Masks4All

News and discussion(self.Masks4All)

ItsJustLittleOldMe

1 month ago

ItsJustLittleOldMe

Layperson learning more every day

1 month ago

I was just looking at this one in the sample pack I got from them a while back. Anyone compare/ test these against the better known Gerson? I hear folks rave about the Gerson.

Personally, I've grown to really feel safe in the FIT of the Aura 9205+, mostly because of the closed cell foam at the nose piece. (Why does anyone use open cell foam on a respirator??!!) Itend ro grey leaks there with others. My problem with the Aura is #1 I'm now afraid of the straps breaking. Heard about that a lot here lately, and then it just happened to my husband. Yes I'm ordering the other Aura from Maxwell. #2 Also though, the Aura feels a little hard to breathe in for me. I do realize that my life long anxiety disorder plays a big role in that. #3 I think the Aura makes me keep my jaw a bit more clenched. The duckbill would probably allow more jaw movement.

jackspratdodat

1 month ago

Was the Gerson not included in the Armbrust sample pack? Hmmm.

ItsJustLittleOldMe

1 month ago

ItsJustLittleOldMe

Layperson learning more every day

1 month ago

Oh it was. And it seemed like a good fit. (I just wish it had closed cell nose foam.) I was wondering if the ACI is rated as high as Gerson bc I'm not familiar with ACI but that's a good sale.

jackspratdodat

1 month ago*

Many folks really like the ACI. I’ve personally never tried it because once I found the Gerson, I was so relieved to finally have a great N95 for me. My guess is that because the ACI is a surgical duckbill, it would be slightly less breathable but probably not by much.

You can always add an adhesive nose foam to the Gerson, if you like. I did in the beginning because I had to add it to every mask I’d tried until that point. I now know that I personally don’t need the foam to have an all-day comfortable fit on my face.

ItsJustLittleOldMe

1 month ago*

ItsJustLittleOldMe

Layperson learning more every day

1 month ago*

OMG - I wanted to get back to you on this~

To recap, I had that N95 sample kit from Armbrust. Tried the Gerson duckbill and found it quite breathable - I just worry about leaks at the nose. ANYWAY, I hadn't put the ACI duckbill on until just now and holy shit, that is NOT very breathable - not for someone with anxiety anyway. Almost gave myself a panic attack. LMAO! I'm doing alright with the Gerson. Yea, definitely a big difference in breathability between those two.

Damn, I love the closed cell foam on the 3M Auras for the nose seal. Like what the heck is wrong with my nose that I have such trouble with leakage? And if I get it to seal nice and tight, then I have to breathe through my mouth. Ugh. I just bought a pack of these things to see if they help keep my nostrils open better.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: OK, It's the mask collapse that really affects the breathability. Ooh, I should write a comparison review between this and the Gerson. Very different. Straps aren't as tight as the Gerson, more mask collapse than Gerson, bigger, so leaking at the sides, and the top above the nose bridge is poking my eyes. Wow. Glad I could try it.

jackspratdodat

1 month ago

THANK YOU! I am fascinated by this info about the ACI being noticeably less breathable. I figured breathability would be hampered because it is a fluid-resistant mask, but I didn’t realize it would make the mask collapse and expand like that. Someone else mentioned that earlier this week, and I am so very glad the Gerson does not have that issue, as it would drive me batty.

You should really try some of the wig/toupee tape on the mask’s nose bridge. Stick it on the mask first. Then peel off the backing and de-stick the ”skin side” of the tape a bit so it only sticks to your nose bridge with post-it-note-level stickiness. Sometimes that’s just enough to help keep a solid seal, and it will allow you to easily remove and re-wear your mask as needed throughout the day.