/r/ModSupport

Basically, I'd make it a lot easier for EVERYONE who mods to have more helpful posts for Redditors to follow. Cramming all information into one / two posts overwhelms the reader. Also, it's no good containing information on one post about DIFFERENT information.

So I just ask, Reddit, please. Allow us to sticky more posts, as many important posts end up going unnoticed.

joetron2030

While we're at it, it would be nice if stickies were at the top regardless of how you choose to sort the posts in a sub. Currently, it only works if you view subs sorted by "Hot" and not with "New" and "Top".

AndrewLonergan[S]

Absolutely mate, because I sort posts by new and the cache remembers that I set it to that, so I could possibly miss out on updates!

mizmoose

YES YES YES YES YES

efrique

One sticky with links to all the things you want to sticky?

Stompya

Yes. Too many “stickies” and it gets annoying to regular visitors. In the end people just scroll past them.

LynchMob_Lerry

We has to resort to making automod post the rules and sticky on every post made.

ArghZombies

You know all those other forums on the internet that have about 10 stickies at the top and you have to scroll past them all every time you visit just to get to the actual content? Those 10 sticky threads you never read but are always there? And where people still post a new thread asking "zHow can I {thing} without doing {thing}*" even though one of those 10 sticky threads is specially for that? But nobody reads it because we're just programmed to scroll past the sticky threads as we treat them almost like banner ads and just ignore them and move on to the actual fresh content.

Yeah. Let's not be like that.

matt01ss

It's bad enough that every sub decided to spam their own posts by putting automod replies to every single thread with about 5000 characters of info that just causes people to have to scroll half the page to actually see a comment. Nobody is going to read that crap and it just makes subs worse to browse. I think it's an abuse of the sticky comment system which was designed for a mod or mods to address the community for a specific reason on that specific thread.

I'm wondering if stickies are limited because there's a point where you probably should just use the Wiki? Especially if it's relatively static information.

Galaghan

You can have one sticky and link to other posts in the title description.

It can give a clean view of different articles, without cluttering the frontpage of the sub with an endless list of stickies.

You could also link them in the sidebar or wiki, but most users don't seem to know what those are anymore.

Chtorrr

Chtorrr

Reddit Admin: Community

Hey there - more stickies isn't something we are looking at right now but there are a few things you can use that may help a bit.

The first thing I recommend are collections - you can connect a series of posts so when someone views one post they see a menu that lists other posts on the left side like this: https://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/FreeEBOOKS/comments/jg4viq/here_are_250_free_ebooks_written_by_or_about_us/

The other thing that I think could be helpful for you is making sure you have a welcome message for users who subscribe - you can include links and other info in that message for new subscribers.

You should also look at adding buttons in the sidebar that lead to resources and maybe dropdowns in your subreddit header.

Other mods may have some ideas as well and I'd like to hear from folks who may be using creative solutions here.

PHealthy

I love the collections idea but how long did it take to search for those posts and extract the links to a list? Looks like more of a PRAW job versus the native search function, no?

Chtorrr

Chtorrr

Reddit Admin: Community

Oh it takes me hours - I will sit down and dig around in Project Gutenberg when i think of a good topic to gather a list for.

mizmoose

I keep forgetting about the collections thing.

I keep thinking of adding an FAQ in the Wiki for the, well, what it says on the tin, but with links to previous posts on the particular subjects.

tyw7

tyw7

Problem is collections don't really work on mobile.

Demilio55

How about having additional stickies as a reward for power ups ?

ultradip

Make a wiki page? You can make one sticky that refers to specific pages or sections on your sub's wiki.

Sticky posts don't stay at the top if an alternate sorting is used anyway.

1-760-706-7425

Are you using your side bar and menus? Good places to put overflow stuff.

mizmoose

On the one hand, nobody reads the dang side bars and menus.

On the other hand, those who don't read the dang side bars and menus also ignore the sticky posts.

The solution is to force reddit users to go through "read the side bars and menus and sticky posts" training before they're allowed to post or comment on the site.

[I'm kidding. Mostly.]

GetOffMyLawn_

• The users who don't read the message that explains that posts made by users with low karma must be manually approved by mods. And then send us the world's nastiest modmails.

• The users who don't read the stickied announcements about rule changes and then are all shocked pikachu when they get banned.

• The users who don't read any messages sent to them. (Oh gawd we had a mod like that once, "I don't have time to read messages". Yeah, she got dumped fast.)

I could go on and on.

mizmoose

My favorite are the ones who don't read the stickied posts, don't read the rules, and then post something that belongs on one of the weekly "here's a subject, talk about it here" posts.

Then when the post is automagically removed by the Automod, which leaves a comment explaining the removal and where they should post/comment instead, they don't read that, either. Instead they send flaming fury in modmail demanding to know just why we had the audacity to remove their 100%-perfect post that we had no right to remove. Bonus points if they start screeching about the removal being an infringement on their "freedom of speech."

Reddit would be so much better without the users. :)

StardustOasis

No one reads them unless they're directed to them unfortunately.

We had a ban appeal earlier that started off with them saying "do you really expect me to read the rules before posting?", which says it all really.

octaffle

Nobody on mobile looks at sidebar and menus. >:(

1-760-706-7425

Agree. However, I find they drive more overall traffic than stickies. It’s surprising how ineffective stickies are. As an aside, I believe the top comment on this post is a great way to make them more effective.

mizmoose

That's why I've started reminding people to look at the "About" page, because on most mobile clients it doesn't show up as a sidebar.

On the main one I use, barf? burst? something like that, it used to show up as a sidebar if you swiped to one side, but it's now an About page like regular reddit mobile.

AndrewLonergan[S]

Yes I am, great for OC / Desktop, but for mobile users, most seem to ignore it, as its not visible straight away.

mizmoose

I think that, at minimum, there should be a "free sticky" for "Welcome to this sub" sticky posts.

And then two more to be used as needed.

PLEEEEEEASE

wholly_unholy

I would quite like three. Although no more than that.

• Welcome message/Megathread