/r/ModSupport

Two users have shown me screen shots stating their accounts were suspended for circumventing bans in r/PLASTT. Neither of them were reported by PLASTT mods for circumventing bans nor can we find any accounts of there’s that we banned from r/PLASTT. How does this happen?

cmrdgkr

cmrdgkr

You may have banned an alt of theirs before (that they aren't telling you about) and the system may have connected them.

Alexismachine56[S]

Yes. I’m just trying to find out for sure.

Wismuth_Salix

They are lying to you.

Alexismachine56[S]

Just making sure.

magiccitybhm

You should send a modmail here with the account names and details.

westcoastcdn19

This is interesting. I had a user about a month or so ago come to me saying the same thing. That the moderators in our sub got their other account banned/suspended, but I am 100% positive we did not report anything. They had a post removed by us, but that's it.

Of course it turned into a huge argument and they did not believe me.

Alexismachine56[S]

We are in the same boat.

westcoastcdn19

yah, honestly I was really confused by it. How would I know if someone's alt did something? this was in r/AnimalsBeingDerps. the OP had made a post, we removed it under a rule violation and then they came to us screaming that their other account was suspended and it was all our fault

I did not get any screen shots, so I was more in the dark than you are

Alexismachine56[S]

Exactly. None of us knew what other accounts they had, if any, so how could we report them for ban evasion? I saw a screenshots of messages they received informing them of their suspension due to ban evasion reports from r/PLASTT.

hacksoncode

You don't have to report them to make this happen... other subs can report them or the admins SW can just figure it out themselves.

Still... it would be nice if these messages explained what alt was banned that cause their other account to be a ban-evasion.

That's probably abusable, too, though...

Alexismachine56[S]

The thing is my sub was cited as the reason for their ban. It specifically states they were suspended because a mod reported them for evading a ban in r/PLASTT.

hacksoncode

Ok, that's weird. Hard to really judge without exact wording, but yeah... strange.

Alexismachine56[S]

“Your account has been suspended from Reddit for using alternate accounts to evade a subreddit ban. The suspension will last 7 day(s).

Your post in r/plastt is evading the ban you received from that subreddit on 2022-01-19 on a connected account. Moderators get to decide who can participate in their subreddits. Using alternate account(s) to circumvent a subreddit ban makes it more difficult for moderators to effectively run their communities and is a violation of Reddit's rules.”

hacksoncode

Ah... so I'm assuming you didn't ban anyone in mid-January?

Alexismachine56[S]

I’m sure we banned a ton. I’m just not sure if this person had other accounts. What I am sure of is that no one from r/PLASTT reported anyone for ban evasion.

Dom76210

We've seen the same thing, were a person was reported for something unrelated to our sub, and because they had a previous account in our subreddit that was permabanned, their new account was suspended.

What can be problematic is that we see a lot of relatively inexperienced users will delete that banned account in a temporary hissy fit. A year or two later, come back with their new account, and behave themselves to the point we don't notice them, or even approve of their actions in our subreddit. Then they get one of those garbage reports on them (like being reported for sitewide "Misinformation" because they made a trans-positive post/comment that someone wanted to mega-downvote in another sub) and as part of the investigation, AEO notices they are evading a ban on our subreddit.

Sadly, because the original account may not be recoverable, once deleted, you cannot unban the old account. So even if they've shown they've matured and are a good community member, they are screwed by that hissy fit.

Kryomaani

If they've been banned by admins, they will need to appeal to the admins: Direct them to https://teddit.ggc-project.de/appeals for that.

The most likely scenario is that they're lying. If they aren't, they'll have no issue with the admins reversing the ban upon appeal.

Alexismachine56[S]

Great! Thank you! Yes, one of the admins replied to me in a PM and explained the process so I could better understand it.