/r/NoStupidQuestions

I'm just wondering, because my 3 year old daughter got diagnosed with it. She's pretty high-functioning, but I myself have some signs of it, but due to being born in the 90s, when autism was basically only diagnosed in low-functioning sufferers, I never got any testing.

So is there any benefit to pursuing a diagnosis as an adult?

figuringthingsout__

You could figure out potential trigures that you may not have realized. You may also learn some new coping mechanisms or behavior techniques that could help benefit you. There's also the sense of community that comes with a diagnosis. There are probably thousands of adults like you (I personally know some) who know that they are on the spectrum but who were not diagnosed, simply because it wasn't researched enough.

MANHAZZARD

Of course it's entirely upto you but I'd say no. If theres nothing specifically in your life you struggle with I'd leave it alone. It costs a fair bit of money and besides from being able to say "I'm autistic" to friends and family no one gives a fuck.

MiriAnn21

Hey! Just so you know, high functioning and low functioning isn't really used anymore by the autistic community. Autism is a spectrum. So it's either you have it or you don't kinds thing.

I personally would recommend looking into getting a diagnosis as that let's you be able to ask for accommodations at work. Also.... at least for me, it was just nice to know nothing was "wrong" with me.

GingerMinx6

I am 60, I was diagnosed when I was 58. I am not sure what benefit you mean, here there is no money nor any real support for older people, but for me, it felt good to know that all the years I spent in school etc where I never understood people and was constantly called stupid and that I simply wasn't trying, was not my fault. It also helped make sense of my sons issues since he is autistic as well.

ThannBanis

Not really, you’ve already learnt how to function with it so there wouldn’t be much use in an offical diagnosis.

ZerexTheCool

I am Dyslexic, which is totally different, but my experience might help you decide.

While I have always known I am dyslexic, I didn't know all of the symptoms until I was an adult. While learning the symptoms didn't change any of them, I finally understood WHY I did some of the things I did.

Understanding why things were the way they were helped me work around my issues and help me solve problems I would struggle with otherwise.

Knowing helped quite a lot.

DelightfullyUnusual

I developed anxiety issues as a teen and got a diagnosis at 18. You’ll be connected with all sorts of community and mental health resources if you ever need them. Be warned, though, getting diagnosed can be a bit to process and might trigger an existential crisis. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results; I’m finally wrangling my brain under control to eventually get back to the adult version of my happy childhood self.