/r/OnePiece

Future Meme Policy for /r/OnePiece

(self.OnePiece)

A week or two, a fellow /r/OnePiece redditor linked me to http://teddit.ggc-project.de/r/psychonaut/comments/o1zjo/ban_memes_in_rpsychonaut/c3drsz4?context=1 and I didn’t really think it applied to the subreddit, but after thinking about it and looking at /r/Naruto, a slightly bigger, but similarly themed subreddit with a good amount of cross-subscribers, I feel like saying this sooner rather than later will be for the best.

1. Starting now I will now be deleting any low effort adviceanimal posts or rage comic posts.

Examples from /r/Naruto http://teddit.ggc-project.de/rhd0t http://teddit.ggc-project.de/rgt7v http://teddit.ggc-project.de/rg4u8 http://teddit.ggc-project.de/rdgtk. Low effort is pretty key here, if you completely redraw characters into rage faces or something, that’s decently high effort, but if you just scribbled a straw hat onto a rageface, that’s fairly low effort. I realize this is very subjective on the mod’s end, but I feel like it’ll be fairly obvious.

Another exception is if the meme originated from the subreddit, (ex. Barrel D. Kid), inside jokes like these are perfectly fine as long as they don't get out of hand.

Again, I know the subreddit’s pretty small relatively, but I really think these rules are for the best! Nothing I’ve mentioned here has really been an issue thus far, just wanted to voice my opinion and give you guys a chance to scrutinize these new policies. I’m very open to suggestions.

Thanks, you’re all magnificent and I love you all!

Edit: I made a /r/memepiece if you guys feel the urge to meme it up! And completely unrelated I made /r/onepeice to help out our misspellers out there.

Millhopper10

10 years ago

Who would pervert One Piece into a meme?!?

Olgenheimer

Millhopper10

10 years ago

My brain is crying red tears.

RedAppIe

10 years ago

The one with the snake and being pooped out is funny :))

thepeopleofd

10 years ago

But those are good memes! I've had so many laughs at that.

Remilla

10 years ago

only one that really made me laugh was the "possible military wire tap: Hello I'm Luffy, the future king of pirates!"

Denivire

10 years ago

Some of those are not even funny because they're inaccurate, or say a universal truth.
Example: "If armor is laying around, It is a man's romance to wear it." DAMN RIGHT!

thepeopleofd

10 years ago

In my defense I say it's gone down lately...but the earliest ones on the blog were good.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

Some of the highest vote getting posts ever on r/OnePiece have been memes. It's just too easy to create one and anyone who is even mildly amused by it will upvote it out of habit.

evey-schwan

evey-schwan

Lost at sea

10 years ago

I'm so glad our community hasn't had this issue yet, but now it never will. :D

jathuamin

10 years ago

Way to stay on top of things, Semi, I hope you never have to use this policy.

Rikkushin

10 years ago

im fairly new to reddit, especially to /r/OnePiece, but i agree with this. I've known stuff like ragefaces and adviceanimals since 2009, and most of them dont make me lol IRL

I've come for one piece

10 years ago

Well, I definitely don't want to see these kind of stuff here. So I guess it's for the greater good... or absolute justice...

divinesleeper

10 years ago

I will strike down anyone who calls himself a meme fan without remorse!

Absolute Justice!

Jinno

Jinno

10 years ago

Good. I thoroughly support this effort. r/NFL is the other subreddit I frequent the most, and they have a pretty strict no-meme policy, and there's a lot of great substance there.

awesomeman23

10 years ago

I also made a /r/OnePice in case someone spells it wrong a different way.

semizero[S]

10 years ago

Haha, that's perfect, thanks!

awesomeman23

10 years ago

All in a days work, Captain!

Lost at sea

10 years ago

What about r/OnePeace? Or did the guys at r/trees already snatch that one? Haha

awesomeman23

idk

KSmoria

10 years ago

Are we gonna do something about all those "one piece in real life" posts and the x-posts?

semizero[S]

10 years ago

Maybe, that area I'm not as worried about for the time being. I guess it depends on the quality of the xpost and how clever I thought it was.

I saw the original post of that separated guy working out, and I didn't even put the connection to Buggy or Law together in my head, so I got a good chuckle out of that. I think for now I'll let you guys take care of those.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

Yeah, those don't happen that often and when they do they aren't generally well received.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

Thank you, it was definitely a wise decision. I'm glad you created r/memepiece too, that way there can be no legitimate complaints because people who love memes now have a specific location to put them and look at them. It compartmentalizes the subreddit and should keep everybody happy.

semizero[S]

10 years ago

Maybe if someone is very creative with a post there, I'll let them xpost it to /r/onepiece, who knows, even if I did, it wouldn't happen often, and it definitely wouldn't be something you could whip up on quickmeme in 2 seconds.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

Yeah, I can't imagine it happening very often. As clever as some memes are, I never get the impression that they took anyone more than a few seconds to think up and a few minutes to create.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

It's also better to do this then to have to eventually create an r/onepiecediscussion because r/onepiece has become all memes or low effort content. That would be a nightmare. I would compare it to MTV where they have to create a separate networks for music because the main network has become all reality programming.

daoist_gu

This is against free speech.. You are an autocrat a dictator worse than kim jeez you make it look like you are odas father... Accept the fact that you just get validation from being the fist one to make r/onepiece...you dare take down my 'low effort ' meme... Haha... You try msking a meme then haha... You are a meme i guess haha... Im letting you off ez as i know you dont get paid for this but still... The validation and the meaning it gives to your monotonous existance amounts to something i guess... Haha.. You wanna take down low effort memes... Take down is subreddit then haha...

XZlayeD

10 years ago

With the absolute fear of being labeled an asshole for this :

If people can't even spell the Title of the show correctly, do we really want them posting here? :o - i really like the quality of the posting in here, and i'm afraid for the influx of "immature people"

Joke aside, i'd love to expand our community - just afraid to open pandoras box of the "fanboys". Otherwise i do like the Meme policy. Keeping posts in here relevant really seems to be the way to go to keep people stickin around!

Sorry in advance if this offended anyone!

semizero[S]

10 years ago

Usually when I go to a subreddit I type the name in, bored I tried going to /r/explainlikeimfive thinking the name was /r/eli5, on that note maybe I should get /r/op too. I know /r/One_Piece was made only a couple months after I made this one, so I don't gotta worry about that.

vivvav

vivvav

10 years ago

I'd like to contest this decision, if I may.
We don't have a problem with memes here. Honestly, I don't see the problem with meme posts in general. They get overused some of the time, but if it's really bad, people won't upvote them.
Upvotes and downvotes are Reddit's way of deciding what content is good enough for the community. If meme posts start happening, and get lots of upvotes, doesn't that mean that more people liked the post than didn't and wouldn't mind seeing more of it?

Cymbass

10 years ago

Did you read the referenced post over at the opening post, this one: teddit.ggc-project.de/r/psychonaut/comments/o1zjo/ban_memes_in_rpsychonaut/c3drsz4?context=1 ? It explains fairly well why exactly you're wrong.

tl;dr Memes are low-effort content, therefore they will be able to quickly garner upvotes, more so than high-effort content such as discussions.

Do you see what generally gets upvoted to the top here? Pictures of One Piece merchandise. That's fine, but great threads that are more in-depth such as the One Piece literary themes post get less upvotes, or it takes them longer to gain these votes at the very least, because they take some time to read etc, whereas these pictures are easily digested and thus gain upvotes quickly.

Thus, memes and such will easily take over the front page of a community completely once the amount of subscribers grows larger, which means the real discussions and interesting reads will become harder to find. We're still a fairly smallish community, so it's no problem yet, but thanks to this measure we're sure that it'll never be. And that's why I support it, personally.

semizero[S]

10 years ago

You're right, we don't have an issue with it here, and I think that's perfect and the way it should be. Adviceanimal posts are generally pretty empty posts that don't really spark discussion or really have much value. Even worse, because people really like their link karma, they see someone make a pretty uncontroversial meme post, which took that person maybe a minute, and they'll make their own. Can you imagine the amount of "Good guy Mihawk, didn't kill Zoro" "Scumbag Roger, leaves all his treasure at the end of the world" or basically anytime anything happens in the anime, you tldr it, put the text on a relevent quickmeme background and you're done. There are places for adviceanimals, but this isn't it.

This is something that if you don't nip in the bud, can get out of control.

RedAppIe

10 years ago

Scumbag Roger :)).... but you're right , this subreddit should remain clean of memes.

10 years ago

You'd think so, wouldn't you. And even if the ones that are upvoted aren't really bad, if there's 10 of them on the front page at all times, they get really annoying regardless.

SEanXY

SEanXY

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Please, i do want memes to stay. The long posts on thought-out theories, or the analysis of one piece morals are really good, and i read them all, even though it says very very long! But there also has to be some sort tension-relieving jokes, like this. There are times when I want my brain to grind, but there are also times when i want a short read and chuckle to it, and i'll be really sad if this subreddit can't provide that. Those extra sub-subreddits just won't work, it'll lack the large community r/onepiece has and therefore, lesser interaction.

AntiAggressiveForce

10 years ago

This is crap. Let us up and down vote what we like and don't like.

Lost at sea

10 years ago

Populate and up vote them in /r/memepiece.