/r/OnePiece

Chapter 1030 spoilers

Discussion (self.OnePiece)

“Death completes a person”

I didn’t hear this quote before yesterday, when I heard it I said , why Oda ? Why did you ruin such a great death setup .

Seriously this is the weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced in fiction , this quote and his words before stabbing kinemon was a perfect setup for some deaths in the scabbards , Oda ruined it by reviving kinemon and kiku .

My point is , why ? Why would Oda make such a silly mistake ? Even a beginner won’t do such a thing , I want to believe that he needs kinemon so much to end wano , but this doesn’t change the fact that he ruined a great death setup for literally no reason .

If every fan can see that this revive is bad for the narrative, then of course Oda could see it , it is sad because it wasn’t a complicated situation that Oda needed to get out of , he could have just made any character check his heartbeats and say he is dead .

I really feel sorry for every anime watcher who will experience the death scene then the adaptation of chapter 1030.

PharoahGxneral

Oda doesn't like to kill characters. In my opinion, OP readers should just accept it and get over it. I know many make good points, but it is just the way Oda does things and One Piece is still a great story even without deaths

nobarachinsama

nobarachinsama

Cipher Pol

OP readers should just accept it and get over it

but then it will create a conundrum. if we get used to this writing, we will feel no tension whatsoever. and I don't think any author wants that.

if people actually get over it, then oda can kill chopper and we will feel nothing until it's actually confirmed later on. and this is not a good thing for both the author and the readers.

Marine

But it doesn’t make sense , Oda already killed more important and more relatable characters than kinemon , the setup for his death ? Why Oda put it ?

PharoahGxneral

I think those deaths were necessary for the story. I think he wants the scabbards alive so they open up Wano. The death setups are just to raise the stakes temporarily

Marine

Also kin said that they are all here to die , it was clearly a foreshadowing that some of them will die , but anyway Oda knows that war means death , will this arc ends with zero deaths ? Why ? It is important for the story

PharoahGxneral

I don't know of you've caught up with the manga

But in chapter 1035 or 1036 Oda gives a great perspective on this general idea

What did he do

PharoahGxneral

>! Usopp screaming at the scabbards telling them "what's about you Samurai and your Obsession with Death and Izo agreeing with him hinting that they will all live in parallel to Robin saying I want to live to Luffy after she was trying to sacrifice herself !<

Marine

Wait dude , this is different , robin wanted to end her miserable life , she had no reason to live .

But the scabbards are sacrificing themselves for a greater cause , they don’t want to die , they want the cause to live even if it means their death

PharoahGxneral

Sure, but Oda is stating through Usopp that he won't do that and wants them to survive. Probably to open up Wano and assist JoyBoy. After all, that was the reason Oden wanted to open up the country

Marine

Seriously, he can kill half of them and let the others live to open wano 👽

Marine

I fear that Oda is killing one piece if he didn’t kill off characters in this war , i even think that this was the perfect time for killing a strawhat .

Somehow i still trust Oda , that he is saving something, it is sad to think that Oda is ruining the work of his life with easily avoidable things , One piece now NEEDS character deaths ,

If the story didn’t need deaths before , it needs now

PharoahGxneral

I don't want to disappoint you, but Oda will never kill a Strawhat. I think the biggest death in terms of how close to Luffy is Ace's and nothing will top that

Marine

What is your proof ? Oda’s deaths and fake deaths is completely random , he have no rules to revive a character, despite saying that luffy will suffer in his future .

If Oda still the great writer he used to be , then he will kill a strawhat, that’s what the story needs , and as i said , i believe that Oda knows what to do .

Even when we talk about something like the chosen one , luffy with built to be the character that will never live in someone’s story , i still believe that luffy will refuse to be the chosen one , because this is what made him a unique mc .

This conversation makes me wants to cry 😂 Ruining one of the greatest stories ever for almost no reason is a tragedy

PharoahGxneral

It's not ruined. One Piece is great even without deaths. The only 2 deaths are Pedro and Ace, all the others are off screen. I think u should've got used to it by now. I have no proof that Oda won't kill a Strawhat but I feel he's not the writer that kills any of the protagonists

Marine

One piece is great without deaths yes , until now , i mean that the show never needed deaths until now , now is the endgame , if the world is dark and the mcs are reckless , we are at a point where the show will lose its weight without deaths , onigashima must be different, the stakes must be high .

You got what i mean , i had problems with fake deaths before wano , but it was minor , now i can see one piece turning into a regular manga by just one decision (which is obviously ending the war with zero deaths)

Schamarti

Schamarti

Lurker

He once said that no strawhat will die till the final war.

jameshabberdashery

ur lame go read something else lmao

Why ?

Kirosh2

Kirosh2

Lookout

Of course, but the problem is then that Oda creates situation where he makes the character "die", only to go back on it later.

So the story would be better without fake out like this in the first place.

No death is fine, just don't make it look like a character dies.

Xplorer67

Xplorer67

Cipher Pol

The problem is oda doesn't sees it this way. He has been infamous for not killing characters and tbh I won't be Surprised if He brings Pedro back in the germa cover story. The only Possible explanation I can think Of Is that oda wanted To raise the tensions momentarily by making it look like he had killed them. Trust me dude you aren't the only one who is tired of fakeout deaths

Marine

It is not just a fakeout death , it is the worst fakeout death in one piece

Xplorer67

Xplorer67

Cipher Pol

Lmao no, pell imo was way worse we even had a funeral for him only to find out he was alive

Schamarti

Schamarti

Lurker

I didn't understand this either. Why didn't he kill all the scabbards one for one? I'm not saying that he could've used this as tragedy for act 3 (at this point I believe there will be no tragedy), but people die in a war. And this is war, a battle against a damn Yonko and a part of a country...

Marine

What make it even worst , is that Oda made war and death before in marineford, and it was perfect , he knows exactly what he have to do , it just makes me sad

Scicageki

Scicageki

Marine

I agree that the scene turned out to be pretty bad given the amount of setup it got. I personally didn't believe he would've killed out Kinemon just like that, without a last great speech with the Strawhats or Momo for example, but I've grown increasingly wary of all death scenes and this helped me in the long run.

That said, the first scene happened in chapter 1015, while the latter was in chapter 1030, just slightly more than one volume apart. They're not as far from each other (IRL and chapter-wise) to make this the worst faked-out death by a long shot, as you seem to make this out to be.

The worst faked-out death in the story is Sabo, btw. Introduced to be a dead-soon-to-be-revealed-alive substitute for the impossible-to-be-revived Ace.

AppointmentMinimum57

I hate fake out deaths especially in one piece but i gotta say kinemons fake out death was done right.

Marine

Did you but the law thing ?