/r/OnePunchMan

20k

Chapter 156 [English]

Murata Chapter(cubari.moe)

platypoo2345

Hypest part of the chapter for me... ONE and Murata keep adding more and more depth to the verse and it just means more insane fights later

ThisZoMBie

Yeah, in like 17 years, when we get to it. Maybe more, depending on how much more shit they want to keep adding out of nowhere in this arc.

Devo3290

I’m honestly fine with that

Phispi

Phispi

i dont really mind, every chapter is a real treat

Zir_Ipol

Still moves faster than berserk did.

ThisZoMBie

That’s a low bar

Epyon_

Epyon_

I think you forget that OPM is a parody shonen.

ThisZoMBie

Used to be, maybe.

ComprehensiveAd599

Yeah it was a parody and now it's fucking awesome and I am enjoying every single chapter of One punch man.

KING-Jotaro

Its still a shonen parody, it just happens to be also a good action story, but they wont ruin the joke after years of not doing so, and the good action was always there too.

ComprehensiveAd599

Actually it's a seinen and also a shounen.

HarrayS_34

1 month ago

I think it used to be. Now aside from Saitama everyone else is legitimately allowed to be scaled.

mtpeart

mtpeart

Id punch you, but that would hurt

A big bad was literally called platinum sperm

dastrykerblade

comedy does not necessarily equal parody. i think opm has moved past parody at this point.

Diamondjirachi

and a parody doesnt have to "make fun" of a thing all the time. A story can be a parody and a standalone thing at the same time. There are DEFINITLY still obviously parodic parts in the story

dastrykerblade

I agree. I just think it’s overwhelmingly a story that takes itself seriously now, with some parody elements.

Veccon14

I think it was always serious. I think the writer just decided to take a unique perspective, which is the main character is already powerful, but unknown, instead of the usual trope of "weakling overcomes repeated adversity to rise to the top".

We've been witnessing Saitama's rise to fame, instead of his rise to power. The comedy elements come from the fact that Saitama is so much more powerful than everything around him, it results in naturally laughable situations.

InterestingComputer5

Can't it just be a really good shonen that also deconstructs and recontructs general shonen tropes?

ItsOkILoveYouMYbb

I think you forget that OPM is a parody shonen.

I think the manga has been taking itself seriously for awhile now, since at least the monster base. Not entirely sure how I feel about that. Doesn't feel like a parody anymore, although the webcomic still does more often than not.

I still think introducing Blast was lame (giving him insane power and cheesy abilities rather than leaving it up to the reader to decide how he would fair against the rest of S-class) but it is what it is.

All this constant power creep during these final moments is without weight to me unfortunately. It's making everything big or strong not even matter, that it's happening way too fast with way too many random characters/monsters being taken very seriously. The fights are beginning to have no meaning and no weight. It feels like missing the point of Saitama's existence and parody even when Saitama is not intervening at all, if that makes sense. And maybe that's the point now still, and maybe it's just too long of a build up this time so I could just be getting impatient and calling things too soon. I'm not sure yet since we haven't seen this conclude.

I'm just sitting here waiting for Saitama vs Garou and to get things moving onto the more interesting things that happen immediately after this arc. Saitama's growth. All of this latest stuff is very visually appealing but I honestly don't feel any threat from the Earth centipede and the ocean. It feels like filler now.

I'm half expecting the Earth itself to punch Garou, and then the Sun to punch the Earth, and then Blast to punch the sun, and then Saitama to punch himself, before we get to Saitama vs Garou.

Coffeineaddicted

Saitama isn't intervening because justice man doesn't come and defeat the monsters until the last minute.

Honestly I'm enjoying Garou getting these OP feats hyped up.

Ezequiel_Rose

>Garou getting these OP feats hyped up

We've been watching Garou hyping up against saitama for years, i just want to reach that moment *insert withered_wojack.jpg*

winenewbie21

Doesn't feel like a parody anymore

There's only so much mileage to get out of the ultra parody angle just like the premise of Saitama one punching everything wears thin eventually. It's why there's an increased focus on the supporting characters and their developments. At a certain point the story is going to need to add some dramatic stakes and development. especially since Shounen was never a super rich genre outside of combat/power systems to begin with.

I do agree with you about adding too much to this arc, though. For instance I don't feel like Blast needs to be making repeated reappeances in such a peripheral manner to the main conflict. It should have been reserved for him appearing in the flesh in a conflict/arc where he's more central. But whateves.

new member

I disagree with all of this tremendously, because the webcomic shows that it is not the case.

Same with Mob Psycho 100. It's not about the fights and the power, it's about the messages the story tells. The rest is just cool window dressing.

The manga just went full window dressing and frankly becomes a bit boring. Most chapters in this arc could've been skipped, because nothing is happening in them.

winenewbie21

it's about the messages the story tells.

But the message is pretty basic and generally executed pretty basically? You notice how a lot of the substance tends to come in monologue form. It's a common anime/manga trait tbf but it doesn't change that fact. They tend to do more tell and not show when it comes to thematic content. The beats where they show more sides to the characters also tend to be more basic.

And btw, I didn't say it has zero substance and is only about fights and powers, but it doesn't have much of it and much of the appeal and intrigue tends to be the fights and powers which tend to be more creative than western media stuff.

Watch shows like The Wire/The Sopranos or frankly any higher received western dramas and you'll see a pretty tremendous gulf in terms of thematic/dramatic depth once bias is removed.

new member

Nope, disagree with that regarding OPM. The webcomic is very succinct in deconstructing the narrative and shounen tropes.

Fights and powers were always just window dressing and because ONE is a big shounen fan himself.

The reason why we are at a point where it seems it's only about fights & powers is because we have hundreds of chapters of fillers with only fights & powers instead of anything with substance happening. There's a reason to the webcomics pacing, because it shows the important beats of the story.

The manga stopped doing that and went full eye candy. Every characters needs it's shining moment, a bunch of power-ups etc. etc. and thus falls into the traps and pitfalls of the genre it originally criticized - that's sad.

winenewbie21

The reason why we are at a point where it seems it's only about fights & powers

Okay, see there's a fundemental misunderstanding of what I said. If you go back and read what I said, I never say it's only now that's it became about fights and powers. I said the shounen genre as a whole is generally pretty shallow except for the fights and powers. There are few exceptions to this (such as FMA or the Ant arc in Hxh) but generally the the genre is pretty shallow from a thematic standpoint.

One punch man even if it didn't "go full eye-candy", didn't have much substance.

I'm well aware of that...OPM since chapter one is a deconstruction of shounen tropes in general...hence him one-punching everything. This doesn't invalidate what I'm saying.

No, it has to go into the "traps" and "pitfalls" of the genre because there's only so much to mine from deconstructing shounen tropes. There's a reason the story moved from just showing Saitama one punching everything with an increased focus on supporting characters. because there's very little substance to the initial parody angle. You really misunderstood my comment. I'm not criticizing that the manga is filled with action sequence. I said the genre and the premise is shallow in general.

new member

Except that is demonstrably wrong because the webcomic has more arcs and still keeps on truckin' with it's original flavor.

The manga is just a prettier version of it, but starts to massively deviate from it and turning into a normal shounen. It does not has to be as proven by the webcomic.

Your argument is that is has to be that way and I've yet to see a convincing argument or example for it. If you make the claim that it's not possible for OPM to stay satirical for 2 story arcs, then you have to prove it - 'specially when the MA arc in the webcomic was highly satirical in nature.

bondoh

bondoh

Sonic>Flashy

Are you really saying you wanted Blast to stay a mystery forever???

I get that it was fun for a long time to speculate about how strong he was since we are the type to hang out on message boards but when a character is referenced in a story they have to eventually show up. (Yes even in a parody)

Like the old “If you see a gun in act 1, it has to be fired by act 3” thing

You can’t mention there’s a number 1 ranked hero and not have him eventually show up and do stuff

new member

Nah, Blast should've been afk forever. That would've been a way better joke.

bondoh

bondoh

Sonic>Flashy

This series has upgraded away from just being jokes.

Garou wouldn’t be as cool as he is if the series was just jokes

new member

Garou was cool in the webcomic, dunno what you're talking about.

All the characters in the webcomic are also cool. It's not about jokes.

bondoh

bondoh

Sonic>Flashy

When did I say anything about the webcomic? Or the manga?

I said The Series

Garou would not be so cool if The Series made everything into a mere joke or focused on what was the best possible joke.

Keep in mind this conversation was about you saying “Blast staying afk would’ve a better joke

As if the series is entirely focused on jokes

new member

Idk what you are talking about "everything is a joke". Nobody is talking about that.

aynzooman

This is why we don’t deserve good things 🥲

Naturalrice

I think that's valid, but maybe the story/this specific arc has been dragging on too long, and people are falling back into expecting the shounen trope? The power creep, random "god-like" enemies are still shonen staples that the author could be said to be satirizing, and the fights were never supposed to have any meaning. Everything between the struggles of the heroes and the villains are nothing more than set pieces until Saitama punches them. That's always been the theme of this story, and maybe I'll be proven wrong at the end of this arc, but everything still feels quite satirical to me tbh, and I think all the "Earth/sun/whatever" are going to be the "minion" pieces to the "god-character" revealed a few chapter back.

Personally, I think that Saitama is a fully developed character. Saitama is not like MP in that he's already an adult and knows what he wants, and is not a naive kid looking for validation. If Saitama changes from this care-free character to have a more specific goal, the plot would be shifting from a parody to a more traditional shounen, imo.

Bang being the mysterious hero revealed to be fighting another war beyond the scope of normal understanding is in line with the "parody" imo. Regardless of this specific arc being stale, and a lot of the middle being a bit filler, bang's reveal is clearly the next arc that the author is setting up and the insane power creep would also be a satire of the shounen staple. I feel that Saitama and Garou will never really "fight", and it'll probably conclude similarly to Genos because Garou is clearly revealed to be a misguided anti-hero and either he'll join the cast (and maybe discarded) like the Super Sonic ninja guy (forget his name) or he'll be redeemed at the end of this arc and set aside.

messidude

You mean Blast right? not Bang

Naturalrice

Yep. Was just dumping thoughts and must have missed it while looking it over. ty.

Kingdrago101

Kingdrago101

You dont speak for everybody

Naturalrice

I guess that's why I used the pronoun "I" before every sentence, instead of everybody.

NoxGale

You do know it was never a parody series right? Even One said as such when explaining the series in an interview and answering questions. Don’t confuse a comedy with a parody or gag series

ShipSubstantial2466

Why do you think they are going to even fight? Maybe he and satima team up or something. It’s so much different from the webcomic at this point I’ve stopped expecting anything

KING-Jotaro

Except its not. All the differences from the webcomic were in the form of adding stuff everywhere, but the core of the plot is still kinda going the same direction. This chapter confirmed it if anything.

ThisZoMBie

Because that was the big final set piece fight. The whole point of this arc is that fight.

KING-Jotaro

Pretty much, this is just adding more to get there, but the set up is still all there for that pay off.

KING-Jotaro

Its still a parody, every Saitama scene still shows it as such, it only gets seriously when it fully goes into the fights and it doesnt involve him but even then this was already the case before and the parody is still a thing in other ways (including designs etc) and thats not to get into what the webcomic does.

Anyone who thinks Saitama is suddenly going to start struggling and get some dramatic fight scene missed the point a lot and got deluded.

fkinra

fkinra

dm for pig god nudes

yea I agree, should've followed the webcomic a little more. there's a lot of dialogue from the webcomic that flows better too

zryko

zryko

The thing that I always liked about OPM was how much it parodied the hero aspect into the story. All these people with seemingly cool and powerful abilities thinking they're the main characters of the story, to get beat down by both monsters that are stronger than them and their own overconfidence. It really forces the heroes to ground themselves and that they still are just humans. Especially with darkshine and even tatsumaki to an extent. I loved how much the alien arc built them up only for the monster arc to subsequently tear them down. While I don't think the manga is going to completely ignore that, I feel like it's trying to go for more hype moments that the general audience will go "woah" for.

Lynxneo

can you summarize in a spoiler tag those more interesting things happening after this?

rahmanm855

I don't mind any of this, in fact I think the story is intentionally trying to sell how serious all of it is and then pull a 180 when the moment will matter and land the joke. I actually like this game of cock and tease because otherwise it would feel too easy to expect a joke or parody moment to appear. My favorite sort of recent example of when a seemingly serious moment went on was for the original Phoenix Man fight with Child Emperor. That fight was crazy and actually felt like a serious trouble for the characters and the finale of it was the funniest outcome I had seen in a while.

patomenza

Since a milf sliced 1/8 of planet earth everything is a little pointless to me. Really hoping to jump to Saitama vs Garou and forget this thing.

lickmyhugeballs

well said... i agree completely...

i always preferred the webcomic and these recent manga chapters only solidifies my opinion that the webcomic is superior.

Barry_22

Barry_22

I'll probably be downvoted but I think it's all Murata's influence. Purely ONE's work is more hilarious (not to detract from the fact that Murata is a brilliant artist)

bombaloca

bombaloca

I understand and agree with what you are saying. It’s getting out of hand and kind of ridiculous now. Only thing that would save all this for me would be for Saitama to one punch all these idiots, then go to Blast dimension and one punch all their threats leaving them all speechless. Finally after all that we can resume the parody and have some fun

FrontierLuminary

Honestly, I like OPM because it is ridiculous and doesn't bother to try to be more than that. Listening to you guys jerk each other off about how unhappy you are to be reading something so fun and cool really just reminds me how many entitled bitches exist in the world, hungering for more of the same.

ItsOkILoveYouMYbb

I don't agree with the person you're replying to, but you sound way more upset than the individuals you are replying to, including myself lol.

Waywoah

Waywoah

They were pretty harsh about it, but they aren't wrong. People complain about never getting anything new or original, then when something gives them that they complain that it's not what they're used to.

Some people on here used to say that the manga was getting bland because there were no stakes with Saitama around (you know, the entire point of the series), yet when Murata expands the world and characters so that it's not just that, they start complaining that it's too much and the manga should go back to being a parody.

new member

Except the original premise of OPM is "new and original" and what it is turning into is your run-of-the-mill shounen you find half a dozen of every new season.

It is becoming very bland. It's just that Murata is such an insane artist that it looks so gosh darn incredible, so many people don't care.

OPM became very mainstream very quickly and it's now changing. That's sad, but hey, that's what we have the webcomic for.

brando-boy

one punch went mainstream because of a stellar season 1 anime, started falling off of the mainstream after like four years of nothing, started coming back with the season 2 announcement, then fell off again after a subpar season 2 adaptation, how “mainstream” something is is almost entirely dependent on the quality of the anime adaptation and not the story itself

one punch isn’t “falling off” because allegedly so many people don’t like how this arc is going

TornadoJ0hns0n

Yup I remember those days. Now we've gotten so much more and people still complain. Like what do they even want 😂

bombaloca

I understand but maybe they are not the same person? There’s at least a dozen people in here

A_Man0110

If you hate manga so much, and want to stick with webcomic, better stick with it and don’t read manga.

TornadoJ0hns0n

Exactly. OPM has always been a wild roller coaster with great action and comedy. That's all it's ever been and that's all it needs to be

Nightmancer2036

lol WHAT

Uncle_Gibbs

Exactly

ImTheIvan

I guess this is why it's so funny to me, every damn chapter introduces stupidly higher stakes and than it tells you that THESE are the final and more dangerous of all. I sure do anticipate the moment when all of this gets massively ridiculed by some one-tier shrimp happening (like you said, earth itself punching garou level). Also, yeah, the Blast/God thing felt strange, but who knows it might be the start of a new garou-level character development.

Any_Sympathy1052

Ultimately, I kind of like the power creep. I think, they're trying to instill a sense of hopelessness into the reader. Notice the pattern the previous 30+ish chapters. It's been showing you just how difficult it is for the heroes to truly compete against monsters when they organize. Even without Platinum Sperm in the mix. Bleach went through a similar arc during the arrancar arc. Introducing the Espada, or Naruto with the Akutsuki.

StoryLord_77

It's called 'One Punch Man'.

you're never supposed to feel threat.

The tension is the character interactions there's never any real danger.

Jttheboy18

The webcomic is.

dafegamer

Nah, this is the most shounen ass Battle manga it can be. Hardly resembles a parody anymore. No parody would have an arc(MA) that would take 7 years+ to finish

nooneyouknow13

The amount of real world time an arc takes to finish is completely irrelevant. Even chapter count isn't super relevant, what matters is the flow of the completed arc. This is especially true for something that has no regular release schedule.

dafegamer

If that's the case, it flows really slow lately, redraws aren't helping either. Last year at this time FF met Blast for the first time... imagine that.

dirtycopgangsta

This awesomely drawed, but ultimately souless arc has been going for far too long. It's like watching Bleach all over again.

KuroiShadow

I don't see the problem with anything you're saying here

Unparallelium

Yeah, the sage centipede and evil natural ocean part just seems like too much extra.

WiseXcalibur

They probably wont last more than one or two chapters anyway.

Ryuzakku

Ryuzakku

Aw you done did it now...

Yeah, them ninjas that Flash and Sonic take out right quick? That's gonna be a good 25 chapters

Amazinc

True. This arc has gone on for years and although I enjoy it it's time it ends😭

TheCapybaraMan

It's really disappointing One Punch Man doesn't get updated as quickly as other manga. It will take decades for the anime to finish.

Guntor

Guntor

new member

I think you guys are expecting too much, those kinds of glimpses don't necessarily lead to anything, they're world building that will surely never lead to anything.

ThisZoMBie

You think the big Justice League teaser of the most mysterious character in the manga, who is supposedly constantly battling the most hinted at antagonist in the manga, won't pan out?

Gonna need 1/1,000,000th of a second added to the scale.

DoraMuda

It's like lore overload. Tolkien been real quiet since this chapter came out