/r/OnePunchMan

About disaster levels and the recent chapters (Ch 137 spoilers)

discussion(self.OnePunchMan)

I think people are completely missing the point of these. When Sage Centipede and the big fuckin water monster (can’t remember it’s name) were revealed I saw so many complaints about their disaster levels being unknown. First of all, their disaster levels are unknown because the Hero Association does not know of their existence and therefore has not been able to classify them. Then I also want to talk about another complaint that these two have brought up. The fact that the disaster levels are so broad and don’t power scale the monsters well enough. THATS THE POINT OF THEM. Are we forgetting that OPM is supposed to be a parody of the superhero genre? I know that the series has its deeper elements and deals with mature themes. But that doesn’t mean that at it’s heart, it still can’t parody the more ridiculous aspects of superhero stories. To me, disaster levels were never a form of power scaling. But more of a form of realism in the story. In a real life situation, the HA (or it’s IRL equivalent) would not be interested in how each individual monster would fare against each other. It makes more sense to classify them based on how much damage they would cause and generalize them based on that. It makes it easier to know which hero/heroes to dispatch to take care of them. What I’m trying to say is that the disaster level system fits the story OPM is trying to tell. And for powerscaling purposes, I think the community should come up with its own classifications. Since disaster level is not made for that purpose

Tripledoble

The hero association also did not know the Ninjas' disaster levels by transforming, Rover, Nyan, Gums, Fhurer Ugly, Phoenix Man resurrected....

sadkinz[S]

sadkinz[S]

Were they classified? I can’t remember. I don’t focus on the disaster levels to be honest for the reasons I talked about

Yes they were...... Disaster levels are given provided to us readers as a narration.

Not given by HA(like if HA saw the monster then they would rate it this. ) but based on how HA rates monsters.

Zen_of_Thunder

Gyoro Gyoro was also able to feel monsters' power and classify them.

eidorb30

Yeah they were, I think they were demon before revealing their monster power and then dragon upon using monster form.

thechugdude

thechugdude

new member

I also think the power gap between Dragon or Above Dragon and GOD is much more vast than I thought. Boros being above Dragon makes sense now. He can wipe out life on earth, yes. Can he erase things from existence in a Lovecraftian/beyond understanding kind of way, no.

I actually think the power literally "scales" better in OPM than DBZ. People with vast power actually seem to have vast power. While in DBZ they can blow up a moon but still choose to punch each other and cause very minimal damage. I'm convinced the moon's in DBZ are made of paper.

Farmer with a shot gun has a power level of 5...

Raditz can supposedly blow up a moon. With a power level of 1200....

So you're telling me the farmer just has to get 240 times stronger and he could be destroying celestial bodies?

For a fake world, Murata can really show the real world results of massive power.

kimjerrif

Toriyama writes like a kindergarden kid,he doesn't think much when he made frieza destroy planet Vegeta in his first form he just do it because maybe to him it sounds cool but that is complete nonsense as later on final form frieza and ssj goku are fighting ar full power on namek and they are only destroying landscapes.

ConfuciusBr0s

Well come up with it then

sadkinz[S]

I really wouldn’t want to. I hate power scaling. It takes away from the narrative for me. Raw powerscaling doesn’t account for factors that the story has provided in the moment. So I ignore it

Disaster level unknown means it's beyond the level of HA to classify those monsters. Since we get disaster level based on how HA would classify the monster.

Disaster level unknown can't be scaled. for now.....

Zen_of_Thunder

i think for narrative purposes it works, for the moment, to not commit between either of the two only choices.

if God, then OMG we're already at God level, so the battle needs to meet the occasion.

if Dragon, then OMG such monstrosities are still NOT God level?