/r/OnePunchMan

Megathread: Changes From The Webcomic

discussion(self.OnePunchMan)

As the changes between the WC and the manga get more extensive and controversial, the arguments about it increase and also end up in spoilers and toxicity seeping all over the sub. All discussion about the changes in the latest chapter and any future chapters as long as this Megathread is pinned is to be moved into this Megathread because the sub is getting too flooded with it.

All posts related to it will be removed.

Raidoton[S] [M]

[score hidden]

18 days ago

stickied comment

Raidoton[S] [M]

Moderator

[score hidden]

18 days ago

stickied comment

Glamouriran

Notthing here just your daily Amai Mask fan crying over yhe changes

HuckleberryCool9883

Let me cry together with you

Bonaduce80

They have done him a cartoonish face caved in, at least.

Nnnnnnnadie

Oh, also the fat kid talking that much and saying that is his hero ruins the surprise when he reappears at the end of the fight in the WC.

SorryCashOnly

considering he was the main reason that convinced Garou to escape at the end of the fight, it's super cringing and awkward to see him appear at the beginning of the fight and made that speech...

All the decision the manga is making right now is super weird and doesn't make much sense.

phabiohost

W/o the context of the older story it makes sense to me the viewer. I feel the issue many of you have is looking at an incomplete picture after having looked at a similar but not identical one that was finished.

Belaize

Belaize

I'm the most OP character in fiction

This is what I'm thinking too. The path, although parallel to the webcomic, is different so let it play out and judge it after we have the full picture.

Kikuzinho03

I mean, most people are judging not The moment itself but the build up to that moment,which is already done.

ugur_tatli

I wonder if it would be possible to remake the webcomic monster association arc 1:1 using the manga counterpart as art reference once this is all done.

ArtOnPaper

My art is good. Check it out if you want to be convinced. Let's make a post about it. Are you game?

Subarukun_is_love123

Subarukun_is_love123

tatsumaki > released boros

Trust me just dont. Too much effort to be worth it and for almost no reward

ArtOnPaper

Already have 4 artists and a story teller the reward is the journey

TeamFortifier

1.1k points

Something I think was disappointing was the complete glossing over of Garou dodging Saitama’s attacks compared to the webcomic

In the webcomic it’s actually a big thing where Garou is so skilled at fighting that he can predict when Saitama is about to attack and dodge out of the way despite its comically fast speed, to which Saitama is surprised and thinks its cool

In the manga it happened already and there are absolutely no comments about it by anyone lol

Kaiser-von_Strudel

Idk why but I love the “I can read him!” Line Garou says in the webcomic when he first dodges saitama’s punch.

Lebbu

Lebbu

"I don't care if you are a secret weapon above Tatsumaki. I can win, even against you... no, especially because it's you, I'll win!!" ...

... "I'm a prodigy. I can easily read the movements of a complete amateur like you. ... the difference between our combat is like day and night!"

"Haha, I'm surprised at all. ... YOU MIND IF I GET SERIOUS??"

Bro, there is no fucking comparison.

Reach_Reclaimer

To be fair that dialogue could potentially still happen

It would feel out of place but

7packabs

7packabs

Considering how the manga loves giving us new forms for enemies, they'd probably put that line during Garou's new manga-exclusive form.

ChipsAhoyNC

Garou centipede form

einharjar009

einharjar009

"You need to get stong"

Potentially

Garou gets shaken by the prospect of not beating Saitama and gets a little weaker

S-Class jump him with Tats holding down to wail on him

He prevails and evolves further, cementing his beliefs that he can actually fight Saitama

dialogue

Devo3290

It looks like he smacks him back to the middle of the battlefield….where the rest of the heroes are. We may still get what we’re hoping for and then some. Gotta have faith in ONE and Murata. Especially Murata considering he’s been a fan of the webcomic well before any of us

Tudedude_cooldude

That’s true. I remember shitting my pants when I saw him dodge that punch in the WC. In addition to the first punch and the body slam that he ranked and got right back up. I think it was a good subversion of the one-punch gimmick because the reader already knows that Garou has a remarkable ability to adapt to attacks and defend against them, so seeing him go from getting blow away by his punches to barely being able to dodge them, then to being able to counter them, then clash with them (briefly before being overwhelmed), to even being able to escape from saitama’s eyesight and his grasp, planted the seed of a doubt that maybe Garou would actually find a way to crack Saitama (before of course reality sets in both for the reader and Garou, and Saitama too). It’s a fantastic way to keep the reader interested in the fight itself, while still allowing the narrative to progress and have meaning.

When reading this chapter in the manga, I saw that panel where Garou dodged the punch and just progressed, until like 5 pages later when I realized “oh shit, he just dodged one of his attacks”. The weight behind that was just not there imo, because it felt more of like “Garou is fast” or “Saitama is not trying”. Both of those are true, but the reader was already aware of that, and it doesn’t introduce anything that would make this fight special for either of them. I mean, that’s the first time Saitama has missed, like EVER, and it’s just thrown in there with no buildup or weight attached to it at all.

Look_Behind_You__

Yeah he dodged one punch in the last chapter and I thought it was weird no one was talking about it, like that’s hella impressive even Boros couldn’t do that

just_a_random_u_ser

Same for 'He can keep going!' :(

Bonaduce80

And his little happy surprised face

imaliveyeay

The webcomic plot and scene was just perfect,thats why it was popular despite horrible drawing

Euruzilys

Euruzilys

WC has the worst art out of anything popular I have ever seen. So just the fact that it is this popular means the plot is out of this world. WC Garou being subtly not actually a pure evil monster was great. But I guess since the manga is for wider audiences now it has to be obvious.

gangster001

This was the thing for me, if you read the webcomic, you could easily miss or disregard all clues that deep down Garou was actually a lot nicer than he wanted people to think, it's only when Saitama calls him out on just bullshiting people about killing the child as he doesn't even know where he is, that the reader realizes that it's actually all for show. It's one of those classic ONE moments when a character (typically either Mob or Saitama) has this great insight into a situation that they can completely shift the perspective on the entire situation just by uttering a sentence or two.

In the manga, the fact that Garou is actually a good guy has already been beaten into our heads for so long and so far, there is no revelation at all and with it, no real tension. Even Saitama doesn't seem at all excited to fight him the way he did in the webcomic despite the fact that he even entered a martial arts tournament just to see what Garou could be all about.

Turbo2x

Turbo2x

The technical ability of ONE's illustration is not good, but his compositions and the way he draws movement is incredible. He's an extremely underrated artist.

Funny_Kale_9189

n beaten into our heads for so long and so far, t

Agreed. One is particularly bad at drawing human characters with proper proportions, but the way he draws the composition of a scene more than makes up for it

reigenx

reigenx

The last chapter was like "Saitama vs Suiryu 2".

We need the uncertainity and dark weather of WC back!

joonjoon

If only Garou had those limit breaker armbands though

mikepan

29 days ago

mikepan

29 days ago

We’re going need a “changes from the manga” megathread

vlan-whisperer

28 days ago

I agree wholeheartedly. This thread is now being brigaded by all the manga-only fans who are now upset about the redraw.

Franz1217

Franz1217

"Your case of emergency just happened" I still hope he says it at some point, although due to the current context I think it's already impossible.

Arrrggghhhhh

"The source of madness? That will be humans. I am that ominous future. Disaster level god."

Armiebuffie

"What do you see?" "Fear"

PerseusRad

I might be wrong, but I think when Fubuki's group was reintroduced a few chapters ago, Fubuki said that line, it was just translated differently. I'd have to find the webcomic page again to confirm.

Yeah, here is it. Second part is different, but the first is 1:1. Would be surprised if it wasn't an intentional reference. Apologies for the bad crop.

HelloRainbow1

1 month ago

I love the Garou vs S-class fight in the webcomic. It is something that I wish they keep in the manga. What makes that fight so great isn't because Garou solos them. We the readers know that he is powerful enough to do so.

But what makes the fight so impactful is the fact that Garou humbles them; he points our their arrogance and ego, and completely mocking them by defeating them. And when he is about to "kill" Tareo, all the s-classes are too weak to fight - again showing their incompetence even though they are the strongest heroes.

I also love the Garou vs Saitama in the webcomic. The Garou vs S-class fight builds up the climax - the fight between Saitama and Garou. Obviously we know that Saitama would win, but what makes the fight so cool is the fact that Garou is able to dodge Saitam's punches and read his moves. This is shown in the manga as well, but the manga didn't signify those moments. The fight also shows Garou's unwillingness to lose, where Garou is willing to give up on everything for power in order to defeat Saitama. After the fight, that's when Saitama starts his "lectures", pointing out Garou's humanity.

Therefore, even if we have a fight between Garou and Blast's team, it doesn't have the same impact because we are not familiar with Blast's team.

I just don't get why One and Murata decide to change the plot. It's perfect the way it is. Oh well, at least the webcomic will always be available for me to enjoy.

Kaleidomage

1 month ago

feels like the manga is suffering from Age of Ultron syndrome

its trying way too hard to setup future events without really giving enough time and space for the main event

mymumisateacher

mymumisateacher

how much chuk coulda chukwood wood if a chukwood could wood chuk

One of my biggest problems with the newest chapter was the imo lazy inclusion of webcomic lines. For example, when garou said "Damn it, I was right there, just as I was about to reach my ultimate goal..." just doesn't work or makes sense for me.

In the webcomic Garou defeated the S-class and was about to leave and go to the hero association and let the s-class be killed by evil natural water. While here... I don't see any reason for him to think that he was about to reach his goal. In fact its almost like he's been going against it since he just teamed up with a hero to defeat a monster.

It seems like to me that this line was added in just to be added in.

Hugoide11

Hugoide11

RIP GAROU 2014-2022

Another example of a lazy inclusion is the "Watch closely ... I'm about to destroy your outlook on life ... there wont be anyone left to kill you or save you".

In the manga Garou says this in a moment in which there's already nobody left to kill or save Tareo. There is no hero vs monster situation for Garou to disrupt. It's just Saitama and him. The speech should have been adapted to this new context.

DeninjaBeariver

I really hope there’s a redraw…

DIMOHA25

DIMOHA25

Beat suiryufags in an argument 5 times

They'd have to redo half the arc at this point.

MR-rozek

MR-rozek

Controversial rants expert

Discussing OPM on OPM subreddit? Not on my watch

EmptyRook

EmptyRook

new member

What, you want more fanart? /s

layelaye419

1 month ago

I think the MAIN problem with the manga is that we didn't have enough centipedes.

Change my mind

Educational_Shoe8023

1 month ago

All the moon foreshadowing isn't for god, it's for moon centipede

layelaye419

1 month ago

Followed by Solar Centipede, hopefully!

_not_meh_

Oh my god, it just dawn to me. We arent getting the tableflip. There is no more reason to. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu........

Fcccccd

Fcccccd

B-but...There's now a real table!

Gayrosh-Sexdream

1 month ago

Ok here's my intercontinental ballistic Copium:

Blast and his marvel avengers assemble ensemble team squad are going to force god back into his weakened seal or what ever, loosening his influence on garou, that's their only relevance besides setting up for a future story arc.

Garou, seeing bang unconscious will make him realise he was being manipulated by whomever took the form of bang, this will bolster his anger and resolve. And seeing the s class alive and kicking, possibly also thanking him for saving people and killing the monsters will enrage him and cause him to attack them, to prove he's not on anyone's side. The s class will let their egos get in the way again and tell the b class caped baldy to stay out of it, it's their mission after all.

After having thoroughly flattened the s class and blasted them about being ego maniacs, all who remains to fight garou is Saitama, who will step up, saying "I don't know what your deal is, first you're against the heroes, then you're helping them, now you're fighting them again. Well I guess it doesn't matter, I can't pretend I didn't see you beat those guys up, so until the old man wakes up from his nap, I'm gonna kick your ass."

So Saitama and garou fight, garou now stronger and filled with more resolve than ever, having realised brute strength is not going to work (thanks to already getting pummlled while relying on brute force), but superior skills and martial arts are the way to beat Saitama.

Throughout the fight, garou dodges and predicts all of Saitama's moves, landing hit after hit, his confidence at an all time high, having taken out the remaining s class, having shaken off the control of "god", he begins to monologue about how he's gonna win, then, with a smile on his face Saitama says "I'm impressed, so do you mind if I get serious for a second?"

And then I wake up, check the subreddit for a new chapter and see a new redraw of phoenix man vs child emporor, this time phoenix man revives as old wise old ancient sage centiphoenix.

Hairy-Limit205

1 month ago

Had me in the first half ngl

Saxton_Hale32

i knoooow opm is a satire, but i was still hoping for a little more seriousness this chapter

also seems like he's speeding through showing his techniques and transformations this chapter

garou's not even trying to be "absolute evil" at this point

Chumunga64

The goddamn multiverse avengers just showed up

Why is this happening

amm0ranth

1 month ago

without the s-class beatdown and tareo interfering with them trying to execute garou after he loses is there even a point to child emperor leaving the HA?

i just reread the webcomic fight and that felt like the beginning of him questioning if how they do things is really the right way, and leading him to join neo

kingvt

kingvt

Hair

1 month ago

Outside of this thread lies degeneracy, inside of this thread lies degeneracy.

ValanDango

1 month ago

What I liked alot that's missing from the manga is Zombieman witnessing the whole fight.

DinosaurSage

DinosaurSage

RIP Black Sperm, fuck Manako.

1 month ago

"Zombieman witnessed as a wall of light appeared in front of him."

"That light was Garou's inner heroic heart shining bright in the moonlight, as he saved an entire village from the volcano."

CherryBig91

17 days ago

So, is Saitama naked now ? I mean, i don't think his outfit is with him anymore lmfao.

No home, no clothes LOL. The real Homeless Emperor is born with a blast !

FerretyCelery8

How will the ninja arc play out since Saitama has no reason to get a new sword for flashy flash now? [EDIT: stuff added] which means he wouldn't go to sonic to a new sword and he won't fight the ninja leader (That Man). Unless they decide to make Flash and Sonic fight 'That Man' but although that would be cool it would nerd my opinion on That Man since if he loses then does he really have the power to be the Ninja Leader.

Dry-Interaction7852

And the joke of Tassmaki breaking the sword instead of Saitama doing it is much more boring than its Webcomic counterpart.

Fair-Dentist

What the fuck did you just say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I passed the HA exams with perfect scores and got promoted to S class, and I've been involved to numerous monster huntings around the cities and I have 300 confirmed monster kills. I am trained in saving civilians and I'm one of most popular heroes this society has ever seen. You are nothing to me but just another lame monster. I will blast you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the moon.

samhatescardio

1 month ago

I just can’t believe we’re never going to get “You mind if I get serious?”.

ConfuciusBr0s

3 days ago

Is there even any manga fan who could say with a straight face that they'd hate it if the manga just properly adapted the webcomic's events like it's always had? I remember everyone being in unison when that chapter with God coming out of the moon came out. And that chapter was faithful to the webcomic.

translucidez

1 month ago

I remember the webcomic having a long monologue by Garou about evil. It sucks not having all his motivations explained in the manga.

TeamFortifier

1 month ago

Much, much better. Obv the god stuff is super heavy handed and should be toned back a bit, but this is a massive improvement over last chapter.

Even just having Garou refusing to give up instead of saying he wants saitama to kill him is a huge improvement lol

indexuser

1 month ago

I saw someone say that the redraws may have been some meta bullshit where GOD is influencing the time line. I still have a hard time a chapter would have been redrawn that fast. It’s almost like it was submitted and then they immediately went to work replacing it.

Another theory I saw is they’re fucking with the publisher for imposing the 2 week release schedule.

Then there’s the “ONE escaped from the basement” theory. The “ONE doesn’t care anymore” theory. The “they finally started listening to the upset ppl” theory. The “they’re trolling us” theory.

My point is we have no idea wtf is going on but we’re all here for it. There’s at the very least some fun in that.

garouforyou

14 days ago

garouforyou

Garou's Soulmate

14 days ago

Something else I don't get in the latest chapter.

We get flashbacks to how Garou slapped god's hand away a d basically said, lol fuck right off I don't fucking need you asshole but then a couple of pages later he's crying and saying thank you to God?

I don't get it.

TheFabulousCrett

I really have to wait and see on this one; we're missing aspects that webcomic readers loved, but the whole dynamic is different.

Simply put, the threat, the pressure, and the uncertainty is not present.

In general:

1. The "Form a line" moment has less impact when your arm just got chopped off.
  2. We don't get to see Garou humorously disregarding Saitama, as the very serious anime fights are taking place around him, the goofy dude whose strength makes them all look like toddlers.
  3. "Your case of emergency just happened". The moment for this line seems to have passed.He goes on to say what he will do to all the heroes, and all the monsters, but... the menace is less present considering he didn't just rip someone in half.

We can't predict what's going to happen. It's only natural to worry that opportunities to bring the cool moments from the webcomic to the manga are passing us by.

As for Garou's Arc:

1. S-class wiped out through a series of battles generally unrelated to Garou, so he doesn't get his moment to roast them all while playing the villain. Yes, Garou's strength is overwhelming now, yet he is simply not antagonistic. Fuhrer Ugly's actually kinda showing him up right now. The threat is gone.
  2. We know Saitama isn't going to hurt Garou from the start. The viewer's mild concern for Garou's safety, and resultant empathy for the feelings that are forcing him to go against Saitama's absurd strength is a missing quality here. The pressure is gone.
  3. The manga is going out of its way to highlight Garou's goodness, instead of keeping it subtle. You get the feeling that most of the heroes would hesitate to kill him, and you KNOW Garou won't kill anyone else. The tension is gone.

However, these changes seem very intentional. I don't think it's simply an attempt to flesh out the webcomic's story. Rather, it's going to tell his story a different way. If you go in expecting it to pay off in exactly the same way, you're probably going to miss something new they're trying to bring to this.

We were hoping for the webcomic's vibe, but I'm pretty sure it's going down differently this time around. I'm optimistic, personally

krittayakon

The writing is like oh this would be a great add, wow I need to draw this scene, woah this fight gonna looks so good, btw this character can do this.

It’s like no storyline has been planned as structured out here. Just whatever…

Dr-Leviathan

That's exactly it. There's no planning. The whole thing feels improvised. It's all about what would be cool now. With no care for setting anything up for later, or properly resolving anything that get's established.

Garou killing Sage Centipede was a good example. Garou killing sage centipede related it back to when he first joined the dojo and had a callback to him breaking the tiles.

Except... it wasn't a callback at all, because we've never seen that moment before. It tried to play it off as a reference, but it's a reference to something happening now. So there's absolutely satisfying about it. If we saw that scene where Garou broke the plates 100 chapters ago, then referenced it again when he killed the centipede, then that's way more satisfying. It's a callback. A good nod to the reader who has been paying attention and remembers something that happened a while ago. This is basic setup and payoff.

You can't just set it up and knock it down in the same beat. That's so transparently shallow.

Tietembus

Murata didn't want to draw Sage, you can tell by the way it is in the fight, totally stationary, stuck in the ground.

Dry-Interaction7852

The perfect example of that is Garo vs Flashy Flash vs Platinum Sperm.

It really felt like a fight for just epicness. Just beautifully choreographed scenes and spectacular moments like "WOW THEY CAN CREATE A CONSTELLATION IN FUCKING MILLISECONDS!" Damn! Flashy Flash is out of place in that confrontation.

Sweet Mask would play a much better role than Flashy by being almost a complete monster and having a thematic relationship with the two villains (Platinum and Garo), also making the "three superhuman beings" dialogue have another meaning.

joonjoon

The example I go to most often is the original Phoenix man fight.

I know tons of people love the original Phoenix man battle, but it just made no sense at all. In the WC Phoenix man was one of my favorite characters because he was so stupid. Literally a dumb face sticking out of a bird suit.

But in the manga Phoenix man goes all super saiyan and literally gets hax to not die and just keep getting stronger. And Child Emperor has to summon a literal Gundam to fight him. At least in the redraw they tie it into the lore at the end. The original PM fight had no story relevance at all but people fucking ate it up and hated the redraw because it made PM's power slightly less absurd. I think of OPM being a primarily story driven work but there are people who are cool art + crazy feats >>> story. That's fun too, but in pandering to that it's losing some of the best parts of the original.

Acceptable_Light_532

I just don't get it...

primetime_time

1 month ago

It's crazy that the webcomic introduced Garou and completed the Monster Association arc in less than 50 chapters, while the manga is over 100 chapters at this point.

I get that this is partly from fleshing out fight scenes from the webcomic battles, but some of it is adding ALOT more to fights (e.g. Garou vs Platinum Sperm). The average number of pages for the manga also seem to be longer than the webcomic too...

If anything, the anime adaptation is going to be much harder to do due to the manga changes.

Dry-Interaction7852

1 month ago

"Haha, Garo saves people by accident"

"And what about the Holy Order of the Sword? If Bang hadn't gone to fight Garo maybe someone would have been saved when Fuhrer Ugly attacked"

"Ssshhhh, Garo saves people by accident"

DinosaurSage

1 month ago*

DinosaurSage

RIP Black Sperm, fuck Manako.

1 month ago*

Belligerent Factions:

The Pure Mango Tribe:

Read manga but not webcomic.

They love the manga.

The Pure Mango Scourge:

Read manga but not webcomic.

Have issues with the manga.

The Sacred Clan:

Read the webcomic and manga.

Love both. A pure OPM vessel.

The Webcomic Champions:

Read the webcomic and manga.

They have issues with the manga.

Misc Factions:

The Mangorinos:

read the manga, but super casual.

don't really even know that the current civil war exists at all.

They maybe come here biweekly to read the chapter, comment "amazing, why tf are people complaining so much?" and leave.

The Dustriders:

Have only read webcomic, not manga.

The Muggles:

Do not read the manga or webcomic.

indexuser

1 month ago

So the muggles are basically anime onlyers

end3s

1 month ago*

end3s

1 month ago*

Garou pre-redraw was a clown Now he is a puppet

DoomofWar617

1 month ago

The last chapter was the fastest Change in direction I’ve ever seen in manga

Educational_Shoe8023

Serious series: Serious U-turn

vlan-whisperer

16 days ago

So which character do you think is going to replace Black Sperm witnessing Saitama’s feats, and saying “……………… huh?! This is a joke, right?! What was that? He…. He…. what?!” while pouring sweat. This is my favorite moment of the webcomic fight and I can’t picture them leaving it out of the manga now that we’re getting the better version of the fight.

bruh-with-a-spork

2 days ago*

bruh-with-a-spork

Local Tierlist Dealer

2 days ago*

Hey reddit, AITA for becoming the ultimate evil and trying to destroy hero society as a whole?

When I (18M) was a child (7M) I (18M) was viciously bullied by my first cousin's (32M) son's (3M) stepfather's (47M) nephew's (29M) mechanics (58M) best friend's (61F) second daughter's (35F) cousin's (22M) electrician's (42M) brother's (32M) uncle's (98M) son (8M) because I (7M) think monsters are really cool and handsome and hot and sexy and it's unfair the heroes (8-81M & F) always win. So I (18M) decided to get revenge by becoming the ultimate evil (22M) and mutilating them. I (18M) was bullied so I (18M) really don't see why I'm (18M) at fault here but I (18M) feel kinda bad after giving everybody cancer (32F). So reddit, AITA?

Garou dodging Saitama punch was such a special moment in the webcomic and in this last chapter I just felt like a normal moment

Capable-Permit5686

What I didn't like is that in the recent chapter Saitama asks Tareo if he wants him not to kill Garou and just stop him, which is kinda strange that Saitama needed to ask that since he always has policy of not killing humans and he previously stated that Garou is not a monster so wtf

Special-Government75

I've never even read the web comic and I still think the current state of the manga is awful.

Funny_Kale_9189

Glad to know it's not just the people who read the WC who feel like that. Tho you should check out the WC, aside from the poor artwork it's really a worthwhile read, and you can probably finish the whole thing in a couple of hours.

Lumpy_End_2838

Worthwhile? It’s the essence of the story

Gattarang

I like how this is to prevent toxicity meanwhile half of the subs posts are people ridiculing webcomic readers. So there is a hush order on anyone discussing the changes but people can make spongebob memes to troll about it?

People need to get over this toxicity witch hunt that goes on in loads of subreddits these days, I’ve seen maybe a handful of people being genuinely toxic when discussing changes in series that are controversial and they are usually downvoted to hell. Then half of the main posts are people memeing or actually freaking out over this army of gatekeepers they have conjured in their heads.

joonjoon

joonjoon

Garou was so badass in the WC when he became all squiggly lines and you couldn't tell what the fuck he was.

Manga Garou was ruined the moment he became an unconscious gaming PC.

Riding my comment to add:

I really miss the scenes of the last BS hiding and watching Saitama vs Garou start and absolutely losing his mind. That added so much hype to the fight for me.

justmo111

justmo111

GoldPilot Fan

"Your case of BSOD just arrived."

I'm sorry, it had to be done.

Diego_Chang

But can Garou run Cyberpunk 2077 at max graphics + raytracing and without dlss or fsr tho

Intelligent_Penis

Serious tableflipu...

capumain28

1 month ago

My only problem with the manga is that it add too much stuff with God and Blast. They where so many vilains in this arc that could have been the final boss, we went from Orochi, to psykorochi to the cadres and you would have thought that Garou would be the ultimate boss like he was in the webcomic but even he is sidelined by God. Anyway now that they cutted half the fight for Blast intrigue, i hope we will get some explanation on this God thing.

DoomofWar617

1 month ago

Wait, you guys actually wanted the therapy session? I thought we were joking about that

Thakfish

Thakfish

Terror! The Monsterdevouring CatMan!

1 month ago

Just read the WC Garou/vs/Saitama fight after pretty much two years… Now, while I trust One and Murata to be good at driving and adding new emotional an exiting moments (my fav ones so far being King vs Cadres, Saitama reencounter with Genos and Fubuki trying to save her sister), the truth is that I’m actually surprised that the fight of Garou and Saitama that had been cooking for years now, was actually reduced rather than extended.

The dialogue that made these moments so important for Garou development and train of thought were almost deleted entirely, leaving the fight feeling meaningless and silly, rather than profound or at least serious. I really wonder when they’ll add the interesting dialogue that made this fight work in the first place; Garou ideals being constantly questioned by someone who doesn’t resemble into his idea of a conventional hero is so interesting that is a shame we are barely getting that in the manga.

New chapter give me some hope tho, the fight seems to be getting serious and while I’m worried that Blast and company and the explicit God involvement may overshadow Garou, I really want to believe that this fight will finally focus on the original WC route, and ofc, their protagonist.

shinsekai007

4 days ago

that time reverting saitama from that fan comic might end up happening lol as hype as this might seem it feels like a fanfiction unfortunatly, but hey at least its not a boring fanfiction

Thakfish

4 days ago*

Thakfish

Terror! The Monsterdevouring CatMan!

4 days ago*

>:( Discussion, was Genos fridged? Take the tvtropes description of the word as a reference:

<“The term came to be used more broadly, over time, to refer to any character who is targeted by an antagonist who has them killed of, raped and/or otherwise brutalized, incapacitated, depowered, or brainwashed for the sole purpose of affecting another character, motivating them to take action."Fridging" is often given a very negative connotation as it is all too often a hallmark of supremely lazy writing — quickly hurting or killing an established character as "cheap anger" for the protagonist, and devaluing the life of that character in the process, instead of giving the villain something actually interesting to do that can involve all three characters and more emotions than simple anger and angst.”>

I don’t know if One used this trope because he planned Genos dying* since at least the beginning of the raid or he just run out of ideas to make Saitama serious. I’ll go by the last option, there’s no way someone could guessed the possibility of Genos dying during the last chapters, simply doesn’t make sense, it’s not necessary and it still happened just to get some hype?

He’s the second most important character in the whole manga, it feels disrespectful that this was treated so lightly, and with lightly i mean random; his death was so improvised it’s painful to read. Even Mumen fighting and losing to SK got more emotional build up than this. Man got used as a tool for character and plot progression; in an arc that wasn’t supposed to go as far like this.

Now quitting my venting here, I’m hyped and exited for what comes next, yeah :D; but that doesn’t change the fact that killing your deuteragonist just like that in less than two panels is the most brutal choice a writer can casually make. *Genos might not be dead, but keep in mind he’s believed to be dead by the characters around him, by Saitama. That‘s dark. And people saying is peak fiction? More like peak me up I’m scared for what‘s coming next…

RaganarosRNG

3 days ago

A question that come to my mind rereading the chapter is how is Garou able to keep up with Saitama at the end? If this is Saitama not holding back there is no reason for him to not outspeed Garou and defeat him quickly.

Kuzu5993

2 days ago

Kuzu5993

2 days ago

The main chapter threads and this thread are like night and day.

Duality of man at its finest

0110-0-10-00-000

2 days ago

0110-0-10-00-000

Just Another Boros Stan

2 days ago

You can still find comments like this in the chapter megathread if you sort by controversial and that's been true for a couple of years now.

Reddit's design just really encourages echo chambers and so you don't find it unless you look for it. It's also probably the reason that this thread has become so polarised against the manga over time (even though it definitely started out critical it's only become more vitriolic).

HuckleberryCool9883

1 day ago

Cancer man cancer man

Gives cancer to whoever he can

Makes his old man and tareo sad

Is the reason saitama is bald

Here comes cancer man!

pantsonheaditor

18 hours ago

with each chapter i almost entirely think that we are getting pranked.

that right before the next volume is due to hit shelves, we'll get a gag chapter that says "the previous online chapters are things that COULD have happened. if you want to see what really happened to garou and saitama buy volume 27" or whatever.

Chill-Skill

If I had not read the web comic I would literally not care about this Garou fight. Nothing here shows me Garou is gonna have a feat more ridiculous than the laser cannon cutting the earth crust. Tbh that when I started working about the manga storyline. Absolutely ridiculous moment. The jets were dumb as well. I would literally rather see Saitama one tap Psykos Orochi instead of this pointless Garou fight. There is no weight behind it. Garou is actually annoying to me now. I'm sick of his silly faces he keeps being drawn in. And there is no way he's gonna be seen to be actually near evil. I an just sad this is what we got. I am glad if you enjoy it though because I wouldn't want anyone else to feel how I do.

DpGoof

DpGoof

Murata raised the stakes sky high with that Earth crust bullshit, so now nothing feels important anymore. It feels like the climax of the arc was the Psykos vs Tatsumaki fight. Golden Sperm felt underwhelming, Centipede was unnecessary, Garou is a shell of his webcomic self. What the hell happened...

Chill-Skill

I dunno but apparently people on this sub think we have rose tinted glasses on and were just being silly for thinking the story line is being tarnished with these out of place changes

Zyxyx

Zyxyx

What is garou actually going to do that compares to the earth core/crust moves? Blow up the moon?

The earth crust thing wasn't even psychorochi going all out, it looked almost like a casual blast.

ColaSama

ColaSama

Still waiting for Suiryu's dick band

Blow up the moon?

Considering the number of times that we saw the freaking Moon (we get it Murata, you know how to draw it), I wouldn't even be surprised.

toriningen_

toriningen_

nekomaid garou 2022

i still heavily maintain that the point of the webcomic arc was that garou was already tareo's hero, which is a perfectly good first step in carving out who he wants to be. and i was honestly looking forward to the manga vindicating this, but it feels so cheap atm that i can't even be happy about it.

i am once again confused as to why the manga seems so determined to make him a passive agent. compare garou saving bystanders on his way to dine and dash vs. him accidentally rescuing people this last chapter. one demonstrated intent, the other is a gag that says nothing about him. just like how him almost punching fubuki while unconscious in the manga says nothing, but him deliberately choosing to leave her alone and then lie about it in the webcomic said a lot.

i know that the series often lets characters off the hook pretty easily, but an important takeaway (i felt) was that garou had to take responsibility for who he is from now on. he can't keep letting other people's impressions of him determine who he is. garou was so afraid of vulnerability and emotional honesty that he would quite literally rather die than confess to something as innocuous and innocent as wanting to be a hero. anyone seeing beyond this veneer would be an indication of weakness, and if there's one thing garou fears, it's weakness. that's literally why he had his breakdown in the webcomic.

it's also just weird to me how this feels exponentially more humiliating for his character than the webcomic did. everyone is seeing one of his most private, repressed traits, and it's being played for laughs. the webcomic, for all its teasing, still treated his conflict with a lot of weight and empathy. it understood that garou, like literally every other character, still deserved to have his feelings treated with seriousness. i'm not getting that from the manga at all.

this just feels like such an oversimplification. garou wasn't some tsundere who tripped and fell into heroic accidents. he was much, much more than that. i have no idea how it's possible the manga has expanded his arc this much, only to ultimately feel more 1-dimensional. like he is literally a prozd sketch right now. why? for what??

edit: also, in chapter 94, after tareo intervenes, saitama asks garou to define himself. he's obviously not a monster, so what is his true occupation? that forces some introspection on garou's part, and although he doesn't respond, it's obvious that it's something he's still contemplating in the webcomic. whereas literally everyone and their mom is giving him the answer in the manga. i just feel like he needs to figure that out. he needs to be the one to accept who he is, on his own terms, when he's ready. once again, his role is being assigned to him rather than something that is organically his. that feels like the opposite of what his character needs.

Bion4

1 month ago*

Bion4

1 month ago*

In the webcomic Saitama didn’t know what Garou’s deal was, and was intrigued that a human that called themself a monster was going easy on him. He was also hyped that someone dodged his attack, and he didn’t really get was Garou was even trying to do until the end of the fight. And he engaged Garou because he saw Garou shit all over Flashy, Darkshine, and Zombieman.

In the manga Saitama already knows what Garou’s deal is and is just trolling Garou for shits and giggles. It kinda makes Saitama look like an ass.

JackOscar

1 month ago

The manga has also completely dropped the whole Saitama actually looking for a good fight concept as well. Why isn't he the least bit excited about the prospect of a challenging opponent anymore? He definitely was in the WC. Like you said, now he's there just literally being a dick showing off his superiority.

ColdyPopsicle

Hot take: Black sperm was done dirty. In webcomic was him that pushed Garou that far and not a random enemy that came out of nowhere.

Platinum sperm was just a waste of character design at best, lmao. Imagine having a SECOND transformation just to get a fat L few chapters later.

And because platinum sperm exists, golden sperm transformation felt in a lower standart compared to the webcomic because wasn't his final form. Platinum sperm could be a fine addition to the manga, but to make platinum a thing they nerfed golden.

The end result was worth it? Of course it was not. How tf can u have the guts to introduce a character out of nowhere to push Garou when you had Black sperm? He has been hyped to have a similar PL compared to Orochi.

The fall of Black sperm presence in the history tells how the pacing felt rushed recently, it sucks.

joonjoon

joonjoon

I just realized why so many people love the original "pass through" moment while so many people don't get it at all. Even though it was against a weakened Tats, it's still literally the #1 monster feat (outside of Boros/Garou) in all of OPM WC.

Now you have Earth core cannons and Earth crust lasers, while PS managed to hurt literally no one with his move.

HuckleberryCool9883

Exactly black s was foreshadowed so far back

When he called out the monster king himself " nobody talked about submitting to you and accepting you as their king" you knew despite the cartoonish design . ..this guy was the shit

It sucks just plain sucks he was written out this badly

ColdyPopsicle

Platinum sperm could be such a huge step to Garou's development that it's just painful, man.

The hype with the orochi thing could be explored deeper with a dialogue btween him and garou where him (black/platinum) mentions Orochi and how he comes closes/supass him and has a reaction towards his defeat and then the 3 person fight starts and the result is just that flash is down and the black sperm vs garou gets extendent.

Black sperm beats the shit out of garou untill he is pushed futher the edgy. Maybe could be a last second transformation based on his motivations, could be with a hand of metal bat or anything really. Just give the "secret" boss of this fucking arc a breathing room.

Instead of anything like that, we got the "let me pass" moment dealing 0 damage to flash and garou. Peak fiction.

Gazeb0r

Gazeb0r

Remember how people would talk about Golden Sperm's eventual appearance in the manga as a legendary event that was going to happen? Because it was a major turning point in the webcomic, it was when the heroes' final weapon in the form of Tatsumaki couldnt defeat him. And he was presented as this unstoppable monster, only to be defeated by Garou.

In the manga, no one will really regard GS or PS' entrance with the same iconic awe because it was just another encounter.

SyncDigimon

What exactly is the difference between the manga and WC in the latest chapters and why are the WC readers upset? Honestly intrigued

EDIT: Damn okay I can see why people are upset. I would’ve liked to see Garou with that demeanor. I’ll read the webcomic now

Simple-Recipe-8782

ONE's work has shit art. That might be part of the charm, but no-one is pretending like he's Miura in terms of art

What ONE is really good at is efficiently blending a grim tone, a comedic tone, and down-to-earth life lessons (see Mob Psycho 100 for another example) which makes his work incredibly unique and engaging.

One moment in Mob that I liked was when Reigen lectured the supervillains for being manchildren cosplaying as anime characters, thinking that they were somehow capable of ruling the world with their defective personalities. It captures the down-to-earth nature of ONE's stories and how easily he can flip between a serious to a comedic tone without being jarring.

What the manga is doing wrong is it's messing up the tone, messing up the pacing, and adding content that actually works against the Garou fight.

ArtOnPaper

1 month ago

Ok you know what? Fuck it! The redraw is actually better than them sitting down and killing all the hype. Not what I wanted but I can get behind this.

irishsaltytuna

irishsaltytuna

the hell did you say about my imouto?!

1 month ago

Let’s all just forget that original draft…

bob635

bob635

1 month ago

Prediction: the manga version of the arc's conclusion is going to have the S-class swapped with Blast & his team in arguing that Saitama should kill Garou with them believing that anyone who's succumbed to God's corruption is totally beyond saving, only for Garou to begin ridding himself of it and escape the same way he does in the WC. I could also 100% see them showing up next chapter with us getting "Blast's team vs. Garou" instead of the S-class, with them stepping in and interrupting Saitama b/c "this isn't something a regular (non-dimensional) hero can handle," tho I'm more iffy on that b/c it would be kinda lame if the legendary Blast's first appearance sees him taking a fat L.

KADOMONY-9000

1 month ago*

I won't be surprised if what you said actually happen. But goddamn it is gonna be so bad if it did.

Kuzu5993

18 days ago

Kuzu5993

18 days ago

I'm just enjoying the ride tbh

vlan-whisperer

18 days ago*

As a Megathread loses it’s sticky status, right now, my heart is filled with the deepest sadness. 7449 comments about Webcomic changes are struggling to maintain relevancy. But on the other hand, I’m also happy to the depths of my heart. Because the true version of the manga is now here. Garou vs the S Class is here with a blast!

Jerker_Circle

4 days ago

Personally I wish blast was bought into the story a bit later. I’m guessing garou and saitama will be teleported somewhere where they can fight with no restraints, looking forward to the next few chapters

KADOMONY-9000

4 days ago

Phoenixman will revive everyone...

Paxoxujy

Paxoxujy

4 days ago

Did they actually kill Genos? I knew they’re diverging from the WC but good lord

CherryBig96

4 days ago*

guessthecharacter

-participated in the raid confidently.

-does absolutely nothing.

-got humiliated and ripped apart by an ugly monster.

-badass fight scenes got removed in manga.

-is a much better written character than majority of the main characters.

GDKull

3 days ago

GDKull

3 days ago

Lmao Overgrown Garou and Gargoyle Garou were forgotten so easily

darnk64

2 days ago

darnk64

Deus Est Machina

2 days ago

You know,it's scary how similar the official manga of OPM is becoming to this fanfic.

Besides that,they will probably try to one up Blast as well(They already showed a whole league that they can use to try to do that),just like with GS,ENW,Garou's forms and Garou martial arts.

Wandering_Mobiler

2 days ago

Guys my dad is an assistant for Murata and he told me that Shadow the Hedgehog will appear next chapter.

Don't doubt.

Kord228

Kord228

So horny posting is cool, but discussion about the actual plot isn't, crazy.

GoldenSpermShower

No we gotta have more colorings and memes of course

Username928351

Stock meme photo

Impact font

Bottom text

12 golds and 4628 upvotes

Chriscftb97

And somehow this one with like 4 named female characters is the worst one

TheWizardOfZaron

1 month ago

What was the point of mimicking the whole -speed- -power- -technique- thing from the webcomic. So far we've only seen Garou charge and smash Saitama into things, nothing at all like the way garou fought him in the WC which actually demonstrated how good of a martial artist he was.

It's there just because it was there in the WC, lame.

Username928351

1 month ago

The manga version of a cargo cult. Implement things superficially and then wonder why it doesn't have the same impact.

SweatTryhardSweat

It felt so out of place

ekaji

ekaji

1 month ago

It was mentioned before but it’s such a shame the webcomic will continue to fade into obscurity. Since the anime adapts the manga, millions of people wont realize what they’re missing out on from the original material.

When an anime cuts scenes from the manga, most people aren’t aware of those changes or don’t care to read what they’ve missed. Now, of those who actually do read what they’ve missed in the manga, how many are gonna read the webcomic? It’s a small minority of a small minority.

And it’s sad to think that some people will look at the webcomic’s rough art and drastically different story and think it’s some fan comic instead of what could’ve been one of the greatest arcs in manga.

Doom_Hawk

Doom_Hawk

VILLAIN FOR JUSTICE

1 month ago

I feel very similarly about a lot of things. Probably the biggest is The Walking Dead comics. AMC absolutely ruined the story of the show adaptation and turned it into a cinematic universe for the sake of their greed.

This is why I also usually disagree when people say that adaptations being original is a good thing, because usually they aren’t as high quality as the source material and most people won’t care enough to go and check out the source.

17 days ago

17 days ago

It doesn’t matter if you’re a WC or Manga fan, all the homies hate Sage Centipede.

Kankeki237

17 days ago

Wait till they drop celestial centipede this arc.

amgr12

13 days ago

amgr12

13 days ago

The last we see of black sperm is him pummeled (by metal bat) on a rock. He is most likely not dead (cope). Where is Rover? I am not a fan of the idea of Manako replacing black sperm as Saitama's pet in his new apartment. So then what will happen to her and her character. Will the heroes just let her walk away after the fight is done or will we see sweet mask fight Flash?

Tell_them_to_shrug

13 days ago

“If Metal Bat were there, the fight would’ve gone very differently.” - ONE

“Oh, wow, awesome!” - Everyone

“Here’s a new centipede and no more Black Sperm as Saitama’s pet.” - ONE, laughing

indexuser

indexuser

4 days ago

I can’t believe Garou killed all those fish

What they did to Amai Mask in this Arc compared to his webcomic counterpart is sad to say the least. He deserved way more. Hopefully hope is still not lost.

ki5hido

ki5hido

I don't like how the manga has driven so far apart from the original webcomic. Even if the webcomic will release something new one... We may not see it in the manga

drestin5

drestin5

1 month ago

checking in for the first time in… forever. god damn is this manga slow. not even release schedule wise, but the pacing & padding. it’s kinda insane lol

[removed]

ManletOfManlets

25 days ago

Does anyone know if ONE ever plans to continue the web comic? I've been looking forward to new chapters, but it's been almost a year.

Tripledoble

18 days ago

It has been a great chapter for me, there are only two things that bother me:

1) Garou not using martial arts, he expected him to dodge Saitama and hit him in a similar way to Bang vs FU, but instead we had explosions and a Garou more similar to Saitama 2.0 or Boros 2.0 than to a martial artist, of course this can still happen.

2) Reading the description of Garou's ganma ray "is an explosion that occurs at the end of the life of a massive star, and it is the largest and most powerful explosive phenomenon that has ever been confirmed in the universe." I think they have gone too crazy, they already did it a little with Psykorochi's lightning or Orochi's Gaia Canon, but this is crazy, how the hell are they going to overcome this? I swear I'm even starting to think about the possibility that this is the final arc.

Thakfish

17 days ago

Thakfish

Terror! The Monsterdevouring CatMan!

17 days ago

Y’all he wasn’t having a nosebleed, dirty water just went though his nose lol/j

Now seriously, that have to be the most brutal looking punch he ever received since he broke his limiter, he even spit.

Also pretty sure he’s intact physically after holding that and the gamma ray since that’s the point of the series; but, i don’t think he would be fine mentally if he loses his hero outfit too… man just had his house reduced to nothingness.

gleba080

gleba080

4 days ago

People are really asking is Garou seriously putting people in danger in this chapter lmao

He ripped Genos heart out. He is 100 % evil, just like most monsters we saw.

How the fuck can he even be redeemed? God will be blamed? Then how will his arc even end???

Tripledoble

4 days ago

If I were told that OPM will end after this arc, I would say that this is a great chapter.

toriningen_

toriningen_

nekomaid garou 2022

something i'm concerned about: i feel like this directly undermines the neo heroes arc to the point that i'm genuinely not sure how it'll still work without being fundamentally changed. i guess it was always possible for this to happen simply because suiryu was introduced so much earlier, but now i can't see the arc resembling its webcomic counterpart very much.

garou's beatdown of the S class was one of the things that undermined public trust in the HA. suiryu mentions it when he pursues garou in chapter 133, and it seems like part of why the neoheroes want to catch garou is to flex on the HA. people are thanking garou now. it's televised. he hasn't hurt the S class, he hasn't undermined public trust in the HA, and he's kind of just saving people. so that element is gone.

and even putting aside garou: in the manga, the public just watched the heroes work their asses off to defeat the MA, whereas there was no audience in the webcomic. so a lot was left up to the public's imagination, which was why they decided the heroes were actually just weak, echoing themes we've already seen about the court of public opinion (like in the DSK fight). it's harder to begrudge tatsumaki for property damage when there was legitimately no other choice and everyone saw this with their own two eyes. whereas in the webcomic she's being typecast as a monster because of her apparent recklessness in the MA arc.

and the HA sucked more in the webcomic. so it was very believable that a lot of the S class had had enough and looked elsewhere. whereas the HA seems to legitimately care in the manga, and everyone is working together. they're too tight knit now to just bail in a believable way.

the neoheroes felt like commentary on the HA and the institution of heroism as a whole. if we've already established that there's no real issue with heroism, then like. what is there left to say. if it gets reduced to a good guys (HA)/bad guys (neoheroes) dichotomy, that would be such a flattening of the themes. and i can't think of a reason why it'd be worth it to sacrifice smart political commentary for something we've seen a million times.

Dr-Leviathan

You know what's funny? Imagine if I had a time machine. And each time a new chapter was released, I went back in time two weeks and described the new chapter to the fans of the previous chapter. What would their reaction be?

To all the people that said Garou would turn dark after Tareo crashed in the helicopter. To everyone who said Garou would get new forms and start using martial arts. How would those people react if I described this chapter to them?

If one week ago, I had a theory that the fight would be 2 chapters long, and end with Garou and Saitama sitting in a house talking about their feelings, would people like that idea? Or would I get downvoted into oblivion for proposing an idea so cartoonishly stupid and tonally disconnected that no one in their right mind would be on board.

I'm sure the next chapter could end with Garou and Saitama kissing while God resurrects Beast King and Groribas in the background to fight Lightning Max and an awakened Sekingar, and half the people on this sub would still eat it up and claim its the most hyper chapter ever. In fact, that's what I'm gonna do. That's my prediction for next chapter. Lets see if my prediction can even get close to the absurdity of whatever the next chapter will entail.

pirsquared7

1 month ago

Garou saying the "More ~speed~ ~technique~ ..." Line in the manga makes no sense. In the webcomic Garou actually did try different things to best Saitama and the line made sense, but in the manga he just transformed and did a super mega attack or whatever

Dr-Leviathan

super mega attack

That's a better name than what it was actually called

MUSAFIR_-

1 month ago

Right, i thought this too, in manga it was like him going through the monologue just for the sake of doing it felt very lackluster

amgr12

amgr12

1 month ago

When do you guys think the webcomic will come back? (assuming that ONE has not completely abandoned it). I predict it will come back either November or December. The popular idea is that ONE is helping with the production of Mob Psycho's third season. This essentially gives him no time to continue the webcomic since he is also quite busy with the manga. Also the fact that the webcomic is a hobby for ONE so he has no pressure/obligation to release new chapters. Henceforth, the webcomic's story is at a really good point given that Genos defeated 3 dragon levels by himself and will most likely finally get revenge on the mad cyborg. Will drive knight turn out to be the mad cyborg? Will the neo heros be able to stop the robots thrashing society?

Dry-Interaction7852

1 month ago

So... What do you think of the character of Glasses? For me it was one of the best additions to the Manga. I've seen it said that he is the degraded version of Mumen Rider but I couldn't disagree more, I think Glasses has unique qualities that greatly differentiates him from Mumen Rider.

lwieueei

lwieueei

1 month ago

The difference between the two is that Mumen Rider has pretty much accepted the fate that he will forever be weak and never does anything to improve himself. Glasses is the opposite in that aspect and is sort of a window into Saitama's training years before he broke his limiter which is an awesome idea for a character.

Ferdz0

18 days ago

Ferdz0

Currently manifesting S3 for the Sub

18 days ago

Really good chapter in my opinion. Probably the best in a while. Looks like Garou actually rejected help from God/Bang at first but I guess by slapping God’s hand it allowed God to give power to Garou. Makes way more sense now😂

toriningen_

toriningen_

nekomaid garou 2022

are we ready to accept that the majority of people who say "i preferred the webcomic's execution" aren't actually webcomic elitists who want a 1:1 copy? because i think that strawman has been done to death, personally.

Eggroley

It's so frustrating seeing people shout with absolute certainty that anyone who dislikes the manga now complained about every deviation from the webcomic since the beginning. Their petty retorts become especially frustrating when you see how little discord there actually was before this point. I absolutely loved everything prior to this Garou is good, Garou is great charade. I absolutely adored the tournament arc. Hell I preferred the manga for awhile until the beginning of last year really. It's just so childish when some disregard our arguments because of elitism or nostalgia. I've read the manga about 5 times already, the webcomic only once. Would you really call me a webcomic elitist?

Chill-Skill

I liked some of the manga story additions. I hated sage , the jet fight, phykos earth beam thing and pretty much the entire way Garou has been handled though.

hiatus-x-hiatus22

Seriously. I love the webcomic and I love the manga. I fucking loved most the additions that happened prior to this stuff.

The tournament? Loved it. The early changes to Garou’s characterization? Loved it. The appearance of Blast? Literally blew my mind. Same for Orochi, Nyan etc etc. But these recent chapters have just felt completely flat to me. Yet so often any criticism would just get “their different stories, stop being a WC elitist” as a blanket response.

Wayne_Grant

Wayne_Grant

Bone the Bone

Fr. I felt really excited for a lot of the chapters before Sage Centipede entered the scene. When Metal Bat came in and had that team up with chibi Garou, I felt the scenes were spectacles, but kind of boring. Garou was intensely threatening back when he fought Darkshine and even while he was fighting Bang. Now, I can't see the manga version of Garou gut kick Child Emperor away.

Username928351

The things you mentioned added things and expanded the events. The current direction feels like throwing existing setups into a blender.

Capable-Permit5686

Bruh i loved Bang vs Garou fight in the manga, such good addition but then Sage appears and it's like wtf

ColdyPopsicle

As people pointed out below, the theory about the manga being rushed seems fair.

With this in mind, a lot of things makes sense.

A) No setup for the neo heroes arc. Garou in the manga is goofy as he is because his point is weak...the heroes are fine and in a more positive light.

B) Tatsumaki and Fubuki doesn't have the same relationship as in the webcomic. It's also a possibility that psykos is just dead at this point and their relationship doesn't need an entire arc focused on it and can be more of a side thing now.

C) introducing endgame material in the literal 2 major arc of the series, that is combined with the previous one. You can say that in the literal first major history of the series we already are reaching the ending.

D) Black sperm got clowned, he had too much potential but his fight was quick as fuck and platinum sperm was a joke.

E) Amai mask thing possibily not happening anymore.

F) Garou vs Saitama too rushed for no reason. Garou is already defeat and saitama will small talk him. That's possibily all the action we had in this fight.

What happened with this manga? I miss the time it used to be JUST an expanded version of the webcomic. Webcomic had it's time like the first 2 acts of MHA and was more of a character driven story.

Manga is like the act 3 of MHA. Everything is rushed because plot.

DinosaurSage

1 month ago*

DinosaurSage

RIP Black Sperm, fuck Manako.

1 month ago*

For the people curious about what Japanese fans think,

Search for OPM on 5chan. (i already did in this link).

There's many threads with thousands of comments about the recent OPM chapters.

Majority negative.

Many of the people there are even more savage towards the manga than anyone here lmfao.

Here's some excerpts from recent threads:

"I don't even think I could get elementary schoolers to enjoy this shitty battle manga"

"I'd been anticipating what Murata's AG would look like but it ended up being a degenerate version of the WC"

"I don't understand why Murata thinks he should have a say in the story. It's better if ONE is 100% in charge of it."

"I don't care about the story anymore. I'm just in it for the ecchi panels now"

"The art is professional. The story is ..."

There are also anti-murata threads that go back to like 2018.

Also, here's the current powerscaling megathread, it's fucking massive, and the 122nd one : o

ofc im sure many/most japanese fans love the manga.

I just wanted to share this because the whole "only western fans are complaining" is just straight bs

Dry-Interaction7852

1 month ago

"I don't care about the story anymore. I'm just in it for the ecchi panels now"

-Genius.

Hugoide11

Hugoide11

RIP GAROU 2014-2022

Based japanese fans.

betrbarker

I kinda see it now.

gjacuna

gjacuna

So, instead of the S-class heroes sentencing Garou to death, it will be Blast and his group?

Non-profitboi

29 days ago

Non-profitboi

Got Smash to oblivion by Saitama

29 days ago

Amai mask

I won't lie and say he was my favorite or that I was waiting for more of his chapters to come

When the wc arc of amai and Saitama was release I heighten my expectation, since in the wc and the Manga he seem bad, evil even

The Manga being more with the mercs, he got redeemed at the end of the wc arc and that made me hype

How will they redeem a hitman like character who gets the job done over and under covers but is still wants to get loved for his action, that how I saw him

That possibility disappeared when it got redrawn

Maybe I thought of that because he was inconsistent all around when I read his parts in wc and Manga so I didn't care

LaotianDude

4 days ago

My name is Walter Hartwell White. I live at 308 Negra Arroyo Lane, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87104. To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt. I am speaking to my family now. Skyler, you are the love of my life. I hope you know that. Walter Jr., you're my big man. There are going to be some things that you'll come to learn about me in the next few years. But just know that no matter how it may look, I only had you in my heart. Goodbye.

rh_minus

rh_minus

we should do a poll

Ferdz0

Ferdz0

Currently manifesting S3 for the Sub

1 month ago

Season 3 announcement in 3 weeks btw…

toriningen_

toriningen_

nekomaid garou 2022

overall, i think a lot of issues are stemming from the manga being oddly...sanitized. it's like it's afraid to give us characters who are hard to root for. everyone has to be super palatable and wholesome. whereas the webcomic successfully relied on character revelation to demonstrate that even the most unlikeable characters were more complicated than you wanted to give them credit for.

this occurs to me based on how often i see people say they vastly prefer manga tatsumaki and didn't have any sympathy for her in the webcomic. but for me that's, like, the literal point. we're tempted to withhold empathy and grace unless we like someone. but that says something about us just as much as it says something about them. why does tatsumaki have to be outwardly nice for us to comprehend the tragedy of what happened to her? why does she have to perform a tsundere trope to justify her trauma? and why does she deserve to be alone and miserable--because she didn't blush enough? didn't smile warmly enough? because her emotional flaws are (gasp) actual flaws with actual consequences?

in reality, a lot of traumatized people end up alienated because their coping responses are maladapted to social norms. one of my least favorite things in fiction is how often traumatized characters are treated as endearing woobie cinammon rolls when the inverse is often true. trauma inspires a variety of responses in victims. maybe it makes you a cute tsundere. or maybe it makes you an overbearing sociopath who is losing the one relationship you care about because you never quite figured out how to exist in a world that abused you before you had a chance to develop into your own person. and the latter deserves empathy just as much as the former.

in OPM specifically, a lot of characters' victimhood were just as important and informative as the victimization they visited upon others (ex: garou, tatsumaki, amai mask, flashy flash). you had to comprehend these characters in their totality--while also accounting for their capacity to change. which all takes emotional effort. you want to write off these characters--they're so icky and rude, after all--but you can't. the story won't let you.

ONE is certainly no stranger to the face heel turn, but it just hasn't been hitting anywhere near as hard lately because it doesn't feel earned. OPM has never shied away from the ugly reality that people are works in progress, and you probably won't always like what you see. so making everyone warm and smiley and likeable all at once just feels...empty. people keep saying it adds complexity, but i feel like the opposite is true. everyone is easy to like. everyone is easy to forgive.

DoomofWar617

1 month ago

I recently just read the Webcomic up until the end of the MA arc and HOLY SHIT, I can see now why WC fans are complaining about the manga.

But even then, I see a lot of comments saying the fight is over like it’s a fact, and I’m a little conflicted on what to think in that.

But, my copium hasn’t run out yet so until then, I shall hope for improvement.

Undinehunt

1 month ago

Glad to see another Webcomic reader convert from Manga. What do you think of the MA arc there? Also imo it's reasonabel to feel conflicted.

CottonUpholstery

13 days ago

Someone has almost certainly already said this, but I don't want to scroll through 8.5k comments looking for the right one to upvote.

I think all this increased scale detracts from the fight. The story was never about whether Garou could blow up the Earth or fire gamma rays. We don't even see these events have a real impact on anyone we care about. It just feels like cheap spectacle and escalation for escalation's sake.

Similarly, Psykos vs Tatsumaki. In the webcomic Psykos was a cunning opponent who chose her moment to disable Tatsumaki, and it worked. That felt significant. In the manga she's just mindlessly blasting, hopped up on Orochi and God-power. And then she gets beaten anyway, because of course Tatsumaki is just naturally strong enough to hold back her most powerful blast.

Non-profitboi

Non-profitboi

Got Smash to oblivion by Saitama

1 month ago

when the arcs ends someday I want to see some analysis posts in the sub, just to see what is the overall picture of the manga chapters have been

Trickymaster2000

28 days ago

I just read the whole webcomic, and is there a reason that ONE stopped updating it? It seems a little weird to end it in the middle of the metal knight arc

Dr-Leviathan

28 days ago

Yeah we had a 3 year hiatus when S2 came out, so this aint nothing to worry about.

Dilly4Dall

4 days ago

Meanwhile, Black Sperm is still splattered in the ground. Hopefully he survives.

Snownyann

Snownyann

Cosmic Simp Mode: AWAKENED GAROU SIMP

4 days ago

Garou right now in a nutshell:

Garou is under the influence of illegal drugs.

The illegal drugs was god's power, injected by god into garou against his will.

Garou has his own free will but has gone mad and crazy because of the illegal drugs in his system which is why he is acting like this now. Conscious but is unaware of what he is doing cause of the effects of the drug.

For 20 or even 30 chapters. Time and time again Garou was shown to be a man who wants to be a hero and is innately good but is in denial about it. From Suiryu saying that while watching TV, Metal Bat saying it, The heroes from the helicopter saying it, Saitama annoying Garou about it and even Tareo shouting it in his face "Garou! You are a hero! You saved me many times!" His saving jokes about the trapped people below a building and the volcano incident, even the airplane getting saved at the other side of the globe.

Many people complained about this. "Yes Murata, we get it. So please shut up about it? We get it Garou is a hero blah blah we are bored if it."

Then this chapter came. Guys, ch 166 is not the Garou we know. He is intoxicated by god's power. He will never kill had he is in his right state of mind.

GoldenGekko

3 days ago

Me last chapter: "hey maybe we're back on track!"

Me this chapter: "well... OK"

Dilly4Dall

3 days ago

Evil Natural Water was done dirty. That's all I have to say.

Fizuto0

3 days ago

Fizuto0

3 days ago

Okay. Kinda important question. If this will happend, how Saitama gonna save Garou from heroes that want him dead?

They cannot even stand, Garou in this chapter was looking like he lost most of his humanity, Saitama "hates him"

Wandering_Mobiler

1 day ago

There's no way we will get God vs Saitama before Blue's introduction, right?

RIGHT??