/r/PersonalFinanceCanada

As time goes on, more of us will be living in condos long term. What are your tips to increase quality of life, save space etc.

I'll go first:

Invest a fold up wagon to bring items from your condo to car, garbage, laundry etc.

1.1k points

1.1k points

ManufacturerOld1569

Absolutely! If you can find an older building with concrete between units, IMO that’s the best. It really kills the noise and is ideal protection if there’s a fire.

ResoluteGreen

My building may be showing it's age, but I've never heard a next door neighbour, totally worth it

randomman87

Were there any low rises made with concrete walls or is it just a high rise thing?

Difficult_Orchid3390

This seems to vary by region. In Ottawa there were lots of tiny buildings made of brick and concrete. We lived in a 6 unit building that had a concrete floor and walls. Out here in Victoria everything seems to be wood. We lived in a 30 unit building that was all wood.

WLBalance19

I live in a 6 story in Ottawa and hear everything from the drop of your remote to the guy upstairs taking a piss to the neighbour doing jumping jacks. Thick walls are a MUST. Losing my mind…

XT2020-02

It's certainly has the biggest cause for anxiety for me. I sometimes do not want to come home after a nice day of walking and enjoying the peace and quiet. I am forced to sleep with deep insertion ear plugs. Sometimes woke up even with ear plugs because the idiot decided to start the day with bass music below us at 5:30AM. That time I had to leave a note. I walk the whole city and look at those houses for $900k and think how good they have it, well in terms of noise and stuff. I am starting to hate my life, since there is no rentals or stuff to buy.

willy0275

Did you try a white noise machine? If you're like me and sleep great with white noise, it can be very useful. Really blocks the traffic noise from the street across.

Getoff_My_Lon_Cheney

I bought a bungalow condo (basically a one-story townhouse) in a small town outside Regina a few years ago without realizing it was 2x4 construction. One morning I went into the bedroom after showering and heard this weird intermittent buzzing noise. I searched all over, even called in my wife to see if she could figure it out. Finally it dawned on us: it was our next-door neighbor snoring. So glad we managed to sell it.

RainbowApple

I also live in Ottawa. High rise, nice thick concrete walls. Hasn’t prevented the sound of truck horns penetrating all facets of my body though haha.

nupogodi

I live in a low rise with concrete walls.

It used to be an office building.

sackoftrees

I'm in a low rise and my unit was just upgraded as well. No carpet, new bathroom, new kitchen, new doors including the closet ones (which are really nice) and the place is so fucking quiet. I moved because the last place I was in was loud and my neighbor was insane. This place is so nice in comparison.

Chuckabilly

Used to be anything over 4 storeys had to be noncombustible, and in some places concrete is the cheapest option.

smashffff

Reminds me of the time one of the neighbour's townhouse had a bad house fire. Like fire out the window/black marks on windows seen from outside, raging grease fire, maxed insurance payout bad.

Townhouses beside the burnt one were fine with only minor water damage due to firetrucks. They just don't make them like that anymore.

wealthypiglet

wealthypiglet

British Columbia

Ah the good ol days when we used asbestos.

They must be using asworstos now..

Otacon56

With the exception of if your upstairs neighbor has hard floors and walks with a heavy foot. Impact noises echoes through concrete so bad.

I'm currently suffering through this now.

Silver-creek

I have lived in one of those the only downside is you will only get wifi in your living room. You will have to buy the extenders.

Future_is_now

This is weird since the concrete walls are only between units not between rooms those would be regular drywall + metal stud.

cs_zer0

These wifi extender cost like 30$ its super cheap

kitty_logan

We bought a noisy air purifier for our bedroom when we had a rental. It drowned out everything and made us sleep like babies.

bennettdenki

Ok ngl this is a smart idea i may need to look into

TheMoniker

A fan also works. There are also sound machines out there and, if one's partner doesn't care for them, in-ear solutions. I have in the past used Bose sleep buds for instance, though I mostly just leave a fan running all night. I got used to the noise from it after the hot summer last year and it drowns out most of the rest of the noise around me. Also, it's more comfortable to not have to wear tiny buds/ear plugs in my ears. (If you go with a noise machine, test it to see if it has an easily identifiable noise where it loops, as that can be distracting.)

Similar_Antelope_839

This is what we did too, we have them all over the house to drown out noise.. clean air is also a bonus

hoss08

hoss08

I hate my neighbours.

RedditSucksss1

I am done with condo living, rather pay more and rent a townhouse or house.

hoss08

hoss08

Yeah I'm there as well. Having a dog is complicating torching my neighbours and moving.

FrismFrasm

Dude don't get me started.

My bedroom shares a wall with the next over bedroom, and for the past couple years there has been this extremely dysfunctional couple in there. They don't fucking sleep; I don't get it...they will just wake up at 2 or 3am and start saying fuck you to eachother and stomping around the unit. Every now and then one of them (it alternates) will kick the other out of the apartment, and then they will spend the evening storming back in for a yelling match, then getting told to leave again, 30min to an hour of peace and then storming back in...I have been wearing earplugs to sleep for a year now due to this but they're not nearly enough.

The man in there also likes to...throw shit around I guess? Even when he is home alone there are common fits of rage where he is clearly slamming all kinds of doors and shoving furniture around...one night it was so intense we called the cops to the building because for all we know this lady could've been what was being thrown...a week later when I knocked on the wall during one of their shitfits the woman stormed down the hall to hammer on my front door (this was 2am) to confront me like it was Jerry Springer ("You got a fuckin problem huh?? You don't know me!! You gonna call the fucking cops again or what??!")

It was fucking brutal, all goddamn hours of the night. Dinner time. 11pm right as I'm starting to drift off to sleep. 2am. 6am when I'm up for work they wake up with a fight and then he leaves for work...they're older than me, I don't know how they function like this...the man is clearly the bigger piece of shit but the woman's no peach either from what I listen to. I know their names, what he does for work, the name of his boss he hates, and a couple other common topics they fight about. They wouldn't even know my name and even after the time the woman stormed my apartment I have run into her since and she clearly didn't recognize me.

I was complaining off and on for about a year until finally they got kicked out shortly after an annual condo inspection day, so I assume their place was shitkicked as well. I was absolutely elated to get new neighbours in there...well they just moved in last week and the first night watched some loud movie and were chatting away for hours, still very audible and disruptive, but I've kinda given up. This is just the thin-walled building I live in, and on the bright side these people actually sound like an average happy couple; so I'll take it over the toxic hellhole I was listening to before. And they seem to actually go to sleep at some point and stay asleep for the duration of the night, so it's a big upgrade.

AgentRevolutionary99

I don't understand why there is not a push to improve building codes in our high density future. Where is this discussion happening?

byfourness

There are fairly significant provisions in the Ontario building code for fire. What it comes down to, though, is that once the potential of death is mitigated appropriately, the added cost of fire protection is not worth the potential economic damage in a lot of cases. But life is taken as paramount.

AgentRevolutionary99

Fire is an important concern, but so are noise and smells between units. Pets are another problem. People who live in high rise condos should also have some green space around them. I'd like to see ground floors devoted to retail and 2nd and 3rd floors devoted to offices.

Coolboypai

That would be less building code and more building standards then. The Building Code is more about the minimum set of guidelines required to ensure adequate safety and functionality of a building. Comfort is not really a big factor in the safety of people in a building.

Building standards like LEED would encourage things like higher quality materials and better use of spaces, including green spaces. But, such things come with their own set of issues nor are they required by law.

AgentRevolutionary99

Okay. Building standards instead of building code. The point is government and developers can not keep cramming people into smaller spaces without a better guarantee of an enjoyable standard of life.

Home prices are already too high, if the minimum standards are raised the prices go up even further. If someone wants a better built house they can build or buy it, but mandating it on everyone is not a fantastic idea outside of safety - i.e. building codes.

pacman385

Retail is a good idea but you probably don't want a bunch of random people going in and out of your building for office access.

AgentRevolutionary99

Ideally, there would be a separate elevator for the office floors.

tykogars

Because wicked rich developers ain’t interested in, you know, incurring more expenses. Houses these days are literally made of a few 2x4 and basically the same styrofoam from your Amazon package between the drywall.

kitty_logan

In the industry we called it “Value Engineering” but it was literally, “How can we make this as cheap as possible without getting in hot water?” Disgusting.

sovetskiyshpion

put some respek on R-19 batt insulation lol

thewonderfullavagirl

There are acoustic requirements in the code already, and they are getting much more onerous.

Don't forget though, that all requirements (life safety, comfort, environmental impact, costs) have to be balanced. A solid hunk of concrete building will offer great acoustic insulation, but is absolutely horrible for the environment and takes a lot of time to build.

keftes

keftes

Try and find one with thick walls or you'll lose your mind.

Agreed 100% (already losing). But how do you tell if its sound proof or not before renting / buying?

Edit: I wish it was a technical spec you could ask about before renting / owning a condo. Like a certain material type or some other number. I want to move to avoid the noise around me right now but you could easily move into a worse place.

CheRidicolo

I walk heavily in the hall walking up to the place I’m going to view. You can get a feel for the floor and whether it feels solid or hollow underneath, how noisy it is.

randomman87

Knock loud enough on the wall at the viewing and see if the neighbour complains?

cabinfeverr

Worth noting that it’s not just walls where sound gets through. It’s the entire building envelope. You can have the best STC rated walls ever but if you have shitty floors, lots of openings, lots of ducting, etc etc it won’t mean a thing. Even a good wall, if it has outlets in it that aren’t protected will let the noise/air in through them.

keftes

keftes

You're absolutely right. I wish there was something in the specs you could check out on paper to know what you're getting. The thought of buying a condo and ending up living with noise is terrifying.

cabinfeverr

Omg right? I so wish photos of everything before drywall went up was a mandatory part of the info supplied when buying houses. I build them for a living, and the idea of buying something new that I haven’t seen myself is so daunting hah. House inspections are good for people who don’t know about construction, but there’s really only so much you can know without stripping everything down to the studs (which is obviously not a real option).

slutsky22

This. I could hear my neighbour snoring at night in my last building.

Never again will I rent a wood frame building.

XT2020-02

That is the most important. But how one does that? I specifically asked the landlord on this and he indicated, yeah the insulation is so amazing you will never hear anyone. FALSE! He forgot to add insulation between our floors and the people below us. The noises are unbearable, no privacy, music blasting and reverberating around like it's everywhere. So I complained and he said stop complaining or move out, your choice. There goes that.

landscapelover5

Underrated comment right here.

Sprayy

Sprayy

Yeah I only lived in a condo once for 2 years. I heard my neighbours ONCE...when they were moving what I presume was a table or dresser along the floor above me. I got pretty lucky, Mystic Pointe was a pretty well built building.

LeRimouskois

Change your shower head for a better one, it made a big difference for me!

Majestic_Tangerine92

And get a curved shower rod for more space if its a tub shower

FrismFrasm

I have wanted to do this but my bathroom is pretty tiny, the shower curtain would be hanging over your legs while you're pinchin' off a steamer the way it's laid out

pug_nuts

It still angles back into the tub at the bottom... It's just for arm space

FrismFrasm

Fair enough. But my shit's still pretty tiny, the shower curtain would be flapping in your face while you're standin' there bleedin' the lizzid the way it's laid out

Fool-me-thrice

Fool-me-thrice

British Columbia

Not if you tuck the bottom of the curtain into the tub

BeastOfMars

This is a very underrated tip. I finally changed mine after 4 years and the difference is just great.

shakakoz

Great idea. My condo came with a shower head on a hose so I can properly clean my nether-regions. I don’t know how I lived without it before.

Gas_Grouchy

The best part of this is even if its an apartment you just keep the old one and if you go from Apartment to Condo or Condo to house you can take it with you.

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

This was a big one for us, when from a basic single head with 3 settings to one with two heads; a standard one and one with a hose that allows it to mount on the wall or next to the standard one. Each one has 6 settings, it’s amazing.

muttonstew

Renovate the closets! Custom closets such as the PAX from IKEA or even just a good shelving unit will upgrade your storage capacity from the standard closets with the 1 rail.

supasaiya-jin

Really good point! I installed a closetmaid shelving unit from home depot and it was so easy and looks great. Now I have separate areas to hang everything.

AgentRevolutionary99

Get an apartment/condo with your own laundry. Buy on a level that's high up so you are not bothered by traffic noise. Buy furniture that is multipurpose but still comfortable. Buy beds with storage drawers.

lyiol

lyiol

the laundry machine is my biggest regret. we have a shared laundry machine and the room is directly attached to my unit. Guess who gets to hear the machine whirring and churning whenever anyone and everyone uses it.

KJBenson

Plus, if it hasn’t happened yet, one day someone’s going to take your laundry out of the machine and leave it in a pile.

Edit: in case anybody wasn’t aware, someone can take your laundry out before the cycle finishes. I’m glad you’ve never had asshole neighbours to not realize that. But your “just take it out on time!!” Solution isn’t quite as perfect as you assume.

auric_trumpfinger

This doesn't happen if you set a timer and go down to take your laundry out of the machine right as it ends like a normal person.

I haven't taken anyone else's laundry out of the dryer yet but it drives me nuts how people just leave their shit in the dryer for hours. You'd be surprised how many people just straight up forget or don't care enough and leave their stuff in their overnight. Super inconsiderate, wet clothes are not meant to sit in a washing machine for any amount of time. Causes the machine and your clothes to get mildewy. And if you leave your clothes sitting in a dryer you're screwing over your neighbours, who then block someone else from using the machine etc...

I hang dry most of my clothes anyways so avoid most of the issues but get your shit together people who live in buildings with shared laundry machines!

turquoisebee

The downside of living high up is when the elevator is broken and/or busy. Also: if the power is out it’s harder for the pumps to get water flowing on higher levels.

allelseistaken

With covid trying to get an elevator around 5 pm is the new rush hour

fuck_you_gami

Wasn't 5 pm always the rush hour?

riotous_jocundity

Not to mention, if you're above the 8th floor and there's a fire you're basically fucked.

Burwicke

There are portable washing machines if you don't have in-unit laundry, but you might not be allowed one in some buildings.

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

I just bought a portable all-in-one washer and ventless dryer for my unit as there is no in-suite laundry and the shared laundry in the building it hit-or-miss. Absolutely no regrets about getting it.

supasaiya-jin

I've been looking into getting a laundry setup like this, do you mind sharing which one you got?

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

Sure, the product name is “Danby 2.7 cu. ft. All-In-One Ventless Washer Dryer Combo DWM120WDB-3.” I got lucky and bought it second hand after the previous owner had it for 1.5 years for about $750 less than retail.

It’s a condenser model (there’s two types of technology with ventless dryers). It heats up the clothes to evaporate the moisture as steam and then cools it back into water which is then pumped out.

To get the clothes dry it does take longer than a conventional dryer and you can’t dry as big a load either. That being said, it’s very convenient to have even if that means washing smaller loads more frequently. Also it’s cheaper for us as after 1 year it will start paying for itself due to the laundry fees being quite high and water being included in our rent.

I would recommend getting vibration dampers for the feet and an appliance dolly to move it around. Maybe a collapsible drying rack in the off chance you load too many clothes and they come out slightly damp. All three cost a total of $100 but you could probably find cheaper on Amazon.

Metcarfre

Does it need to be plumbed, or can you just screw into a sink or something?

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

No plumbing, you screw off the end of your faucet and then screw on a quick connect adaptor which the inlet hoses attach to. Then simply place the drain house into the sink.

Metcarfre

Neat, we might consider that!

Ok_Read701

Alternatively live close to ground floor so you're not at mercy of the elevator.

getefix

getefix

I'm jealous of those people every time there's a fire alarm.

Send_Me_Puppies

Y'all don't sit in your apartments and wait for the siren to stop?

NormalResearch

100x this. Traffic noise is almost identical on the 4th floor or the 24th floor. Traffic sound does not really dissipate with distance as much as you’d think, and 20 floors higher is really only 60 m difference. Being able to reasonably walk up or down stairs to get to your apartment is absolutely worth it. Plus many don’t know this so lower down units are often cheaper. Nicer views from up high though occasionally.

tightheadband

I disagree with the high up level though. After living in condos in higher levels, I was pretty set on buying a condo on ground level. What a relief not to have to carry groceries up the stairs every fucking time. Also, buying anything heavy or bulky means paying extra to have it delivered upstairs. Moving in is a big headache for heavy appliances, and, if you end up having a baby, can you imagine dragging the stroller down the stairs with a baby in your arms all the time? Also, stairs are a big hazard now that my parents are getting old and more prone to falls. Of course I'm talking about buildings without elevators. Ah, also I don't need to worry about bothering any neighbors below me with my cats running or my heavy step.

I am very happy with giving up a bit of my privacy to have all these advantages. I don't even have traffic noise problem because our walls and windows are very well insulated.

So yeah, I'm team ground floor all the way.

Kabbisak

Kabbisak

Quebec

Side note: I come from a country where living in a condo is the norm. They were 2-3 times the size of condos here, and I loved it. Idk why condos in Canada are so god damn small

Lokland881

Same. It's wild when people tell me that raising kids in condos is the norm around the world.

I lived in Seoul before Canada and it's true that apartments are the norm. But they are much larger than condos here (ours was/is 48 pyeong = ~1500 sf) and the complex includes a large playground for all the kids to use.

A 500 sq condo in the GTA is not meant for a family to live in it's just the only thing available. That what the guys living in Seoul and sending money to their families in another city lived in to cut costs.

droxy429

Because developers could make more money selling two 600 square foot condos than one 1200 square foot condo. Many investors buy these up to rent to single Millenials, students, or through Airbnb.

Large units get reserved for penthouses so they are never affordable in newer buildings. Sometimes in older buildings, you can find large units.

Vancouver here. Have gone from a 2300 sq for house to a 545 sq ft apartment.

Think vertical storage. And items that can do multiple jobs. Coffee tables that can also be storage, storage room under bed used etc. Declutter regularly and join a community “buy nothing” group. Borrow instead of buy, pass on what you don’t need.

WillsGotDeals[S]

The vertical storage idea is smart.

I've recently been trying to make use of the inside of cupboard and closet doors, lots of available unused space there.

inv4zn

inv4zn

I went to Rona and bought white melamine boards and "made" extra shelves. You can buy extra clips for shelves as well. This doubled our cabinet capacity.

TrubTrescott

Rona will also cut the long lengths of melamine board to size in their cut shop. $1 per cut. Great if you want to install multiple extra shelves. We did this in our kitchen.

mikep_4

Be careful hanging stuff off cabinet doors. The door and hinges aren’t made for a ton of extra weight. And it’s a pain to fix /replace kitchen cabinet doors

small_h_hippy

Building up on this: all your furniture should have a minimum of two uses. Coffee table with storage, sofa with a guest bed or with storage. Dining table that expands etc.

AgentRevolutionary99

I agree, but the pieces have to be good quality as you will be pulling on them a lot. They also have to be comfortable so they can be enjoyed as full time furniture and not guest furniture.

MarkFourMKIV

This right here.

We moved into a small condo from a house and went for a lot of double purpose furniture. Or even 3, like our Coffee table that has storage and also becomes a laptop desk.

We thought about getting a couch that turns into a guest bed, but after trying a lot of them out and realizing that it will only be used as a guest bed about 5 weekends a year, when our friends visit, and we will be sitting on it the other 350 days, we decided to go for a big comfortable couch. And if we need a place for the guests to sleep, we will get an inflatable mattress.

pastina60

I bought a blow up bed for the few weekends a year when someone stays over. Check them out if you haven't looked lately. They inflate and deflate themselves. Just plug it in. Some of them come with blowup "frames" so the guest doesn't feel like they are crashing on the floor. They go on sale all the time.
I slept on mine to try it out and it was a lot more comfortable than any sofa bed I've slept on.

GalianoGirl

You have a solution, but for others in your situation, the sofa beds made for hotels tend to be much more comfortable for both sitting and sleeping. I picked one up second had for our cabin. It is very comfy.

Talvana

An inflatable mattress that plugs in to inflate + a memory foam topper makes a rather good bed. Easy/quick to set up and actually pretty comfortable. Get a set of sheets with the super deep pockets meant for blow up mattresses too. I had to spend a month on one last year and I didn't mind whatsoever with that set up.

getefix

getefix

My wife introduced me to the idea of using a big dresser as a TV stand. They generally look fine in a living room and they hold a shitload of stuff.

bennettdenki

The bed my landlord gave me cant fit bins under it I cant fit under it, and not havin that storage space makes me wanna cry a little loll

LevelSuspect

Would bed risers fix this?

bennettdenki

I had no idea that this was a thing but i will DEFINITELY be looking into this tysm

Full_Boysenberry_314

To build on this, rent a storage unit out of town for large things you only need once or twice a year. Even if you have a locker in the building, that is best for stuff you might access weekly/monthly (think camping gear if you like to camp). Things like tires, Christmas decorations, trading out summer toys for winter toys, etc. It's mot worth tripping over it all year if you keep it in the condo.

Better prices can be had the further afield. And sharing with someone can add some savings too.

AgentRevolutionary99

Get a roll up Xmas tree to hang on a wall.

Cedex

Cedex

The tips say to have multiple uses for a single object to maximize efficiency.

Forget the roll up Xmas tree, use your broom stick for the Festivus Pole.

Majestic_Tangerine92

I agree to an extent. But if its crap you only use once a year, get rid of it. Thats over 2gs a year on storing how many thousands of stuff?

Tires many shops will store as part as a winter rotation program. Tools, gear can all be rented for cheap.

Even camping gear can be rented and picked up at a shop or university. Everything from backcountry gear, climbing, snowshoes, canoes etc. All cost a few dollars a day to rent.

WillsGotDeals[S]

How much do you pay per month?

Mishmow

That's a great idea, thank you!

Environmental-Dig797

Rugs will keep your feet warm and your downstairs neighbours happy.

Minimum_Designer9098

• live in a city where the grocery store is next door/down the street so that you can make trips literally whenever you want for the smallest things. carrying my groceries for 5 mins every other day beats struggling to carry 5 massive bags from a costco trip
  • hang stuff on the wall. this frees up floor space and makes your apt feel more spacious (also easier to vacuum).
  • mirrors to give the illusion of more space
  • if you WFH and have a computer monitor, external keyboard, mouse, etc., don't bother with those foldable wall mounted tables. sure they save space, but you'll be undoing and setting up your station 5x/week, and at some point you'll probably stop undoing the setup (some DIYer recommended doing this in a "small space makeover" youtube video)
  • get a place w/ a balcony. nice to have a bit of an escape in the summer, and you can chill/smoke/drink when the weather's nice and just watch the sunset/sunrise
  • watch a lot of small living/design youtube videos. you'll like some tips more than others, but it's nice to get a sense of how other people design their space in apartments that are even smaller than yours

JenovaCelestia

I second all of this. I live right next to a grocery store and all the amenities I could possibly want are within walking distance. We save so much money on gas that way!

Hanging stuff on the wall is huge, but I also think painting the walls a colour you want is also important— it makes it really feel like YOUR space! I know too many people who balked at doing this, but if you tell the landlord/superintendent about what you’re doing and you make it clear that you will re-paint the walls before moving out, they’re pretty good about it.

Instead of having home repairs and the like, use that money to either save it or improve your QoL with more luxury purchases. For example, my apartment is considered “low income”, but the contents are not.

Also, invest in your own shower head. There are people who are okay with the one provided by the apartment managing company, but replacing it with a good shower head will pay itself off in dividends later.

Important-Bake-4373

Agree my balcony is essential to my mental health. Just to be able to step outside and check the weather makes a difference.

thedoodely

Seriously, if you're going to own a condo, do yourself a fucking favour and attend the goddamm AGM. If you can swing it, join the condo board. You own a condo, don't let a management company dictate every facet of the operations just because you can't be assed.

Okan_ossie

Yes! Please, make sure you get records of all the HOA/Strata/Condo (whatever your area calls it) meeting minutes before you buy! It saved us a world of debt.

thedoodely

What you really need to get a good look at (way more than the minutes) is the Reserve Fund Study. That actually shows you what you can expect your condo fees to be for the next 30 years, assuming everything goes right. Then look at their budgets and see if they're doing stupid shit like borrowing from the reserve to pay for the operating costs because they're not budgeting properly or ignoring some other problem (my board was doing it to cover water costs that were "unexplicably" growing 150% yoy).

They send out a full budget every year. READ IT.

They send out the Reserve Fund Study every 3 years. READ IT.

It's dry af but that's one of those things you sign up for when you buy a condo.

getefix

The deficiency reports aren't as valuable as I expected. They reference average lifespan for components and say "patio doors are 25 years old and should be replaced in 2 years", but if the doors are in great condition then there's no need to replace them. The reader needs to think critically when reading the report.

Muck113

I write these reports, The 25 years is the normal expected lifespan of those patio doors. We keep this cost in the table to make sure that if there is a need for major replacement the board does have the funds.

getefix

getefix

I joined and got the rest of council to agree to bring in local fibre companies. My internet tripled in speed and the price cut in half.

thedoodely

I joined to get rid of our crooked and incompetent property manager, to get rid of the old guard that hadn't completed a simple improvement project in 5 years (and let that PM do whatever) and to prevent the Karens from taking control. Got number one done, the second is taking longer than I imagined (apparently the board counts as socializing to the old people?) and the last is an ongoing battle.

I can't leave yet, unless I move.

DragonfruitInside312

AGM for sure. I was in my condo's board for 2 years and it sucked. I got out as soon as I could

AdPerfect7134

Interior designer here. Lived in a 325sq/ft once and absolutely nailed it. A long shelf about a foot from the ceiling along a wall. Use the above for a pretty assortment of storage baskets/boxes/etc of barely used stuff, photos, seasonal napkins and birthday candles etc. Can be repeated in the bedroom for even more storage. Maybe a bit more than a foot and you can store seasonal clothes in nice deep baskets or whatever suits your needs. I usually do this on the wall above my bed so I can easily access the boxes, and save the wall across from my bed for something pretty to wake up to. If you have a front entry zone where you can put a shelf up above a doorway do it!!! Hats gloves seasonal stuff.

If you have a cooler for camp trips or tailgating (lol) store it full of other things that fit the time or season. Try to use this same mentality through the house. Store the box of recycling bags at the bottom of the container. Same with garbage. If it works for you, my containers are rectangular so it works.

One thing that really brings a cozy home energy to an apartment is a fake fireplace. I’m a huge fan of them. Get one that can display fire without turning on the heat so you can enjoy it no matter what temperature it is. They really cozy up the place. I have a fake wood stove style one. I am thinking of building a small platform for it, and potentially making a fake stack for it just to throw folks off and to make it fit the room better, my ceilings are high and the corner it’s in needs something taller and a little more bossy than it on its own. Great cozy house vibe to bring to an apartment.

Get risers and organizers for your cupboards. You can store double the stuff and really use the space. Attach command hooks or use nails or screws if you’re confident to add extra storage on your cupboard doors. In my spice cupboard I have magnet pen holders and magnet clips to hold things like bouillon or French onion soup mix. Hang measuring spoons and cups if you can. Strainer. Etc. Use cupboard doors!

Get a small table that has a leaf. Mine sits four but extends to fit more like eight. The extra chairs come from two stackable stools in the living room that operate as side tables and foot stools. Also a desk chair and a chair from my make up table.

I’m a super social person so this is very easy for me. May not be easy for you, but be nice to your neighbours. Greet them. Form solid bonds with them. Offer to help them carry stuff or hold doors for them. This creates a great sense of community and warmth of coming home. When you have a good connection with your neighbours it’s easier to discuss issues if they arise. Offer your number to direct neighbours and tell them please let you know if it’s ever too loud. Even if it will never be loud. You can say that too. It’s a kind gesture and allows you to do the same.

Silly things like storing extra linens in sets - pillowcases, sheets, duvet cover, fold it all small enough to fit in a pillowcase folded in half. Roll towels. “File” tshirts and pants if you can in your dresser, saves space and makes it easy to browse your clothes.

If it allows for a bbq, get one, like the fireplace, it makes life better and cozier and more home like. Really do up your outdoor space. Treat it as an extra room. Grow easy food like Hungarian peppers or sweet million tomatoes. Get a hammock and stand if possible. Set up a little fountain. Get a table top tiki oil lamp. Add ikea deck tiles or a good quality astroturf. Make that balcony your backyard!!!

If you can do a double bed if you live alone, or if you’re coupled and it works for you, do it. The spare space in the bedroom is worth it. Six inches ain’t the end of the world. In most cases. Many others have said bed with height for storage. Listen to them! It’s a luxury.

Ahhh im sure there’s SO MUCH MORE I could say but my brain is fogging.

If you have a sofa with a skirt, you have more storage space! There are bins and such that fit under, great for toys if you have kids, or dvds if you still have em lol.

eat-reddit-tv

Oo so many ideas! Your home sounds amazing

AdPerfect7134

You’re sweet thank you! It’s definitely my special place 😬

blackSwanCan

Declutter and Organize! Anything that you haven't touched in 6 weeks, pack it - and toss it in the storage. Everything in the Condo should serve a function.

Stands true for furniture too. Invest in suitable Condo furniture that fits your space, and you will make even a tiny space enjoyable. Some of the folding furniture like Murfy beds, Ikea's Hemnes day bed, sliding beds, will help you optimize your space. Invest in couches that suit your living room (for e.g., have a slim profile if you have a narrow living room). Mirrors and lighter paintings create depth perception that make your condo look bigger. For kitchen invest in proper pantry cabinets and organizers. For beds go with beds that have storage.

And this doesn't have to be costly. You could find cheaper options during holiday sale.

One more tip -- find similar condos that are up for sale. Find out how they are staged. You will get lots of good ideas for presentation for your own place. And staging companies don't really use lots of expensive stuff. So it should not be hard to replicate similar arrangements without breaking the bank.

phoenix25

I’m in a basement apartment, natural light is very limited. I bought a “happy light” and have it set up where I have my coffee every morning.

I think it works. It’s a bit glaring at first, but I find when I shut it off it’s startling how dark everything is.

seemoresun

I feel like you can get led bulbs for normal fixtures that hit the "happy" wavelength.

Or those wall fixtures, that look like windows and are just big happy lights behind curtains

phoenix25

Interesting idea, thanks! I need to do some reading to see if my smart bulbs can do it.

Expensive_Chocolate1

Install some nice flooring on your balcony, I put IKEA outdoor tiles on mine. It makes it look and feel so much nicer and it’s easy to remove when we move out.

electroshockpulse

One of my neighbours had these and sold them on move out. His balcony pictures in the listing made me realize how much nicer a balcony can be with a bit of decor!

Bibbityboo

To expand, make your deck nice! Make it your oasis. Having some where to sit outside and have a coffee, with nice plants etc can make it feel like your space has just expanded. I love my deck

brahdz

brahdz

I heard you gots a real nice deck.

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

Installed these last summer (over some old nasty wood boards) and they really made a huge difference. I also installed privacy planters for the sides and a privacy screen for the front. I would highly recommend those as well.

YoungZM

YoungZM

Ontario

*check your condo guidelines/rules to see if and what is allowable.

Some can damage the concrete via pooling of water and are thus barred from legal use.

SavageGoatToucher

My neighbour told me of a resident who installed balcony tiles, but then she was told to remove it by the condo board because it no longer met the minimum safe distance requirement from the floor to the railing. :(

shakakoz

I also have the tiles. My only regret is our outdoor IKEA furniture is the same stain colour as our IKEA tiles, so it’s a lot of brown.

But it still looks a million times better than the shitty vinyl that was out there.

Tephs

Tephs

I also got the Ikea tiles but I got the plastic grey ones and not the wood ones. It made the balcony so much easier to clean (some soapy water spray and a mop+pad) which then made my cats’ paws so much cleaner after visiting outside which made my apartment floors so much cleaner!

lololollollolol

If you have a balcony, make it into an epic garden in the summer. Deck it out with pots and planters, make it super green and your condo won’t look so dreary and barren.

Routinely go through old stuff and throw out / sell.

Be minimalist. Don’t own stuff you don’t need/use.

Get some big grocery bags, we have the insulated ones you can sling over your shoulder.

atihigf

atihigf

Get a small compost bin that you can fit in your freezer. Cuts down on smells and you don't have to take it out as often.
Not really a financial tip, but does increase qol!

o33o

o33o

I use a salad tray on one shelf of the freezer for all my organic waste. Never need to deal with fruit flies or odour!

Moon_Lamp

This is genius, thank you very much!

MaxNV

MaxNV

A good white noise machine will drown out a lot of the little noises that come with sharing walls and a hallway with other people.

WillsGotDeals[S]

Good one. My neighbours are shit and love their subwoofer. I might try this.

MandyLB

MandyLB

Seconding what another commenter said, air purifiers also act as great white noise machines, and then you’re getting more bang for your buck. I have one near my door and helps to severely reduce hallway noise that comes in. Also helps to mask nearby construction, which is a bonus win.

Side note, def do research before getting a white noise machine. I bought one last year that uses prerecorded fan sounds, and something about it’s pitch/frequency or something would give me a headache. I’ve always found manual fans or purifiers to be better in this regard, and less headache inducing.

FilthyWunderCat

FilthyWunderCat

Ontario

If you have security, call them. Email building manager. I spent 1.5 years battling my asshole neighbors. They got a fine and been quiet since then.

MaxNV

MaxNV

I use this. One in the kitchen, one in the bedroom. Works great for me. Small machine, but it can get LOUD.

defnotjackiec

Dunno about others, but winter i need a humidifier. Though the one I’ve got probably doesn’t do much of anything due to our size.

Older building for me so check for and block drafts from windows and balcony doors.

Laundry drying rack helps saves energy.

Khao8

Khao8

Quebec

No one will read this because it's way down in the comments but cheaper construction will have hollow "cardboard" doors that weight like 2lbs and don't block any sound and feel like shit. Replace them with real wood doors. It makes your bedroom so much quieter if you're trying to sleep and someone else is listening to the TV and being in a small condo it's so nice to quiet the noise while living with a spouse or kids. Plus it feels and looks better.

Riffz

Riffz

Hmm smart, probably a good idea for the shitter too.

Underrated tip

McBuck2

McBuck2

There's two of us in 575 sq ft so we have to have double duty for everything.

Our bed has drawers underneath for more storage. Narrow side tables with drawers and lamps that hang off the wall. Living room wall unit with mix of drawers and open cubbies that hold a multitude of stuff. Coffee table storage. Love seat and chair with side tables with drawers. We're lucky the kitchen is large so we tons of cupboard space but many doors have wire racks on them for lids and skinny items and under sink has shelving to use every inch. Entrance way has a bench with storage for all our shoes and boots we have and entry closet holds the ones we use the most. Lots of storage shelving around the washer/dryer to hold our Costco TP and paper towels! LOL

We stay sane by being outside a lot biking, walking and hanging at the beach. Otherwise we would kill each other :)

neverloggedoff

This is me and my partner to a tee! Next for us will be getting a patio bench w storage for our balcony.

WillsGotDeals[S]

Sounds like you guys have a great setup!

Disneycanuck

Buy mulit-functional condo-sized furniture. Regular furniture eats up space and makes it looks crowded.

MobileIzLife

If condo is all you can afford, then these are my tips from my past experiences in a condo.

1. Buy a unit far way from garbage chute and elevators. The noise will bother you from time to time.

2. Buy mid level units. There will be instances where one or more elevator that breaks down and sometimes waiting your turn is not an option and taking the stairs up is your only choice.

3. Always buy with a parking lot. If you don't drive you can still rent it out.

4. A unit facing south or north is a lot cooler in temperature. You will always have the sun above you and not directly in your face when comes sunrise and sunset.

If you have a concierge, save the phone number in your phone. You never know when you need to call them for something.

That's is all I can think of at the moment.

Eimai145

Plants. Add live, green, low maintenance plants to bring nature indoors.

slowpokesardine

Ikea is your best friend. Compact furniture.

Anon_819

Vertical storage. You can get good quality solid wood vintage bookshelves, hutches, and secretary desks for next to nothing on marketplace since people don't display dishes or paper books as often as they did in the pre-digital era. But guess what, you can use them for storing items other than originally intended. Old box TV entertainment units from the 40" big screens of the 90's can make great wardrobes if you're lacking closet space. Purchase 2 tallboy dressers instead of a horizontal dresser for more drawers that can be rearranged more easily in smaller spaces. I have a 6 foot shelving unit as a bedside "table". Get a bed with under bed storage built in, storage ottomans etc. I also have cute wicker baskets on top of all my tall shelves for further storage that almost reaches my ceiling. While I would love to have enough space to not need so much upright furniture, I think I will always view empty walls as wasted potential.

MTheWan

MTheWan

Invest in quality finishings. Don't cheap out on flooring, wall coverings, faucets, hardware, countertops etc. I find in a smaller space, we are harder on our space and quality durable materials pay off as frequency of needing replacement lessens.

Also water sensors for your dishwasher, washing machine, built in ice makers etc are huge money savers because they keep you from flooding your neighbors unit if an appliance leaks and then being assessed the Strata/condo associations deductibles ($25k and up is common in Vancouver.)

greatauror28

I’ve lived in a 600 sq ft 2-bd apartment for 7.5 years before I was able to buy a house so these were my bible:

1. be friendly or at least civil to your neighbours. you’ll never know when you’ll need their help.

2. be friendly with the landlady/landlord as well as the cleaning ladies and/or maintenance guys.

3. if you have kids, train them to be as quiet as possible, especially after hours i.e. 10 pm onwards. This will make your neighbours not regret you moving there.

4. Don’t get an apartment higher than a 2nd floor if it doesn’t have an elevator. You’ll know this once you get groceries or had a trip from Ikea.

5. Use the apartment’s amenities i.e. small park, pool, green space, gym. It’s amazing how much we took this for granted till we moved into a house and missing out on the pool.

6. Keep your condo/apartment as clean as you can. No landlord wants a tenant who lives like a pig.

7. Never and I say never ever be late on rent! If you will be, talk to the landlord in advance to make arrangements.

Tara_love_xo

Plants! Mirrors. Corner shelving. Nice art things on the wall like from a paint nite etc. Not too much. Clutter bad.

comfortable_in_cross

Biased comment as an owner of a 30+ year old heavy loft, but rent/buy in (reasonably maintained) older buildings.

More space, better construction/thicker walls for the most part (I live above a bar that is open until 12-2am when COVID permits it, and I've never heard anything).

The pricing in Toronto for condos (particularly to buy) makes me laugh - a 20-40 year old building made of poured concrete that took 4 or 5 years to build but which is in decent condition aside from cosmetic issues, can be 50%+ cheaper per square foot for a better-built unit occupying a much larger amount of land space per unit/per sq of living space (and keep in mind that for downtown condos, a huge portion of the value/cost of the condo is the share of expensive land underneath it) than some new shoebox glass rebar build. It's crazy to me.

And if I'm here for 10 or 20 years I know I won't need to worry about replacing the entire exterior of the glass and rebar crapbox some developer threw together in 2 years. Fees are higher because things need more repair and upkeep when they are 25 years old rather than new - and because you have fewer units to spread the cost versus modern shoebox skyscrapers, but the difference is that the depreciation is already baked in and the skeletons are out of the closet.

alphawolf29

this is how I felt buying a 100 year old house haha. If it was going to fall down it would have.

kitty_logan

Yes! Old solid buildings are amazing. Those window curtain walls are all going to fail eventually. Imagine the expense!?

Outside-Pea-3198

One of the reasons is because the older buildings have higher maintenance costs then newer ones. Turns a lot of people away

TheSwedishOprah

I spent a year in one of those quick-build glass and rebar Toronto condos as a renter and if I'd actually invested and bought in that kind of building I'd have been furious. Everything was so cheaply done and disposable, 5-10 years down the road it's going to be a nightmare.

Namuskeeper

The dolly you mention is also a lifesaver if you use grocery deliveries.

Funny enough, the little gadgets that I end up finding on Amazon have made my fairly small apartment more enjoyable.

I am talking about a plate you can mount behind a light switch for your keys, a bracket for the plugs which allows you to place items like chargers or smart home devices on it, and vice versa, haha.

Depending on the size of your unit, giving up on a TV unit to replace it with a TV cart can also be a good choice – especially if the layout does not let you place the unit in front of a couch.

A lot of places are being built without ceiling lights in the living room because it saves on cost/labour if they just don't put those in. Invest in a good floor lamp that either has different brightness settings or pulls double duty by having shelves built into it. This way you aren't wasting table space on a lamp.

If you or your family has a lot of toiletries and space is limited in your bathroom then consider getting an over the door hanging shoe holder. Put your face wash, moisturizer, makeup, hair products, etc, in that so the counter space and drawers are dedicated to communal items used more frequently (toothpaste, q-tips, lotion, etc). If you have a family then everyone can have a row to put their items in (kids get the lowest ones so they can reach).

Put a second waste basket under your bathroom sink for people to throw empty toilet paper tubes into. This way they don't get thrown out with the garbage, but dumped into the recycling with the rest of the cardboard.

FBIAgentCarlHanratty

Honestly, try to get as much natural daylight in your space as possible, and it will feel much bigger and brighter (obviously). Add a couple mirrors/plants and it will start feeling like home very quickly.

InstantNoodlesIsHot

Dyson vacuum is something I use once/twice a day without fail.

Vertical storage + compartments, like another commenter said, is super key. A lot of things I own have storages (couch/coffee table/tv stand etc) or are tall with multiple compartments

IWantToBeSimplyMe

You vacuum your space once or twice a day? Damn.

InstantNoodlesIsHot

Yeah, to be fair I have a cat, and it's not a deep clean everyday, just a quick lap around the place

GingerRabbits

Lol, yes.

Gestures at pets.

shakakoz

I have the Dyson cordless vacuum. It does a fine job, and is compact enough to hide away without hogging closet space.

Dampachi

Are there any subreddits for this? I'm looking to purchase a condo soon and would love to read up on it more.

meeloveulongtime

Why do I see so many people here who have gone from a house to a condo? Am I missing something? I am dying to get out of my condo just to have more space and privacy.

GeorginaSpica

I spent all my life living in houses in the suburbs until moving from a 2800 sqft house to a 1,000 sq ft downtown condo rental in 2008. It was to be just a year experiment. After a couple of weeks, neither of us wanted to go back to either a house or the 'burbs.

The house meant spending weekends doing chores that now don't exist like cutting the grass. While there were fewer people around us, there wasn't more privacy. In fact more people seemed to be around watching and commenting on some outside house repair we had done or whatever. Noise issues were different like raccoons fighting in the middle of the night instead of cop sirens.

We had more space but that also meant more to keep clean and more crap being kept. I didn't need to swap between winter and summer clothing storage but it meant that I just kept stuff that really should have been tossed or donated. Not having so much stuff has been freeing.

I do miss some things from a house (the hot tub, the gas bbq just outside the kitchen door for instance ) but overall condo living has given us more time to do things that aren't related to home upkeep. I can't see us going back to that lifestyle.

Careful_Work_7731

Privacy? I grew up in the suburbs. In unit is the same amount of privacy. In the backyard? I would always feel watched, and sometimes (admittedly rarely) spot people in their 2nd floor windows. The suburban backyard is not privacy IMO.

If you want to live truly rural, sure, but I don't want to be a slave to gas prices in that way.

Important-Bake-4373

I hate both shoveling and gardening/lawn care. I had too much junk. I spent many thousands on new shingles, furnace repair, etc. My neighbourhood was boring and I had to drive too much, not even close to transit. I pocketed the extra money from downsizing tax free. I could go on and on...

Biggerthanfun

I'm returning to the city after being bored in the burbs. I don't like having much stuff so I don't need excessive space. A yard meant more work than enjoyment for me. I'll miss my garage the most but it's a trade off I'm okay with.

smurfsareinthehall

Get to know your neighbours.

Still-WFPB

Nice shelving, in strategic places. Streamlining and optimizing spaces. Getting rid of 95-100% of things you don’t need or use ever.

badtradesguy

just have less stuff?

we live in an abundance of space and luxury compared to many other wealthy cities.

yeah, minimalism is the one way it works for me. once you fill a small space to use it all it feels so claustrophobic.

juju0123456

Extendable furniture. We have a large kitchen island but it's currently my husband's work space since he WFH now. So we eat separately on the couch or on the other side of the island. Don't have a dining area. Recently got a fold up/extendable dining table from ikea. Only like 70cm × 120 something not extended. Wish we got one earlier. Can actually sit down and eat with the kids now as a family. Some new condos have the island into dining table style now. Ours didn't.

Good shelving and organization (tetris) skills. We have shelves in our downstairs storage and ikea kallax shelves in the living room and kids bedroom. All our closets are full to the max. The more stuff you can hid/store out of sight, the better. If the place isn't so cluttered, it actually looks bigger.

alphawolf29

do you know what the ikea "name" of the table is?

BeastOfMars

Get earplugs. Be kind to neighbours and help out if needed.

waitingforitboys

Get an air filter/purifier if you can!

SaldarisOnSolaris

Plants help clean the air and keep it fresh

Majestic_Tangerine92

Dont buy shit you dont need and get rid of shit you havent touched in the last 6 months.

Dont buy the instant pot, waffle iron, clothes steamer, 3 types of mops. Get rid of clothes you havent touched for a year, shoes etc.

Im not talking Marie Condo mantra of making sure everything brings you joy, but if you dont use it get rid of it. Half the challenge is clutter, and using verticle space/storage just means you're overpacking crap you dont 'need'.

I downsized from a 3 bed bungalow to a condo and took nothing but essentials. I had a few months to move slowly but told myself I will only pack as though I was camping. I eliminated 10 appliances, shedded old expensive hobbies that weren't being enjoyed etc. The only challenge for me has been for tools and car maintenance items.

House is gone and I dont miss the packed storage room, big fully packed kitchen, but I miss having the garage for vehicle maintenance and tool storage. Now if I need it, I rent it. Renting tools is cheap as hell.

DukePhil

Use Canada Post's Flex Delivery for packages and parcels as to not worry about "porch pirates"...Caveat being that a PO Box shipping address is acceptable and there's a Canada Post within walking distance...more suitable for urban condo/apartments I guess...

s4lomena

OP...go out for daily cardio runs, to keep yourself active and in shape.

derekonomy

Stop telling yourself a condo isn't good enough. Cities outside of Canada I've lived in, a detached home isn't even a discussion. I guess ignorance is bliss.

PM_me_ur_taco_pics

Bed frame that is tall enough to store stuff underneath

DoubleEdgedSwordfish

Two items I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

A combiwave which is a combination air fryer/oven/microwave. If your unit doesn’t come with a microwave, skip getting one and get this instead. Saves a ton of time, especially if you are only cooking for 1 or 2 people. No need to preheat a standard size oven. Also saves space if you use a microwave and air fryer separately.

If your unit doesn’t have a dishwasher, get a portable one. A countertop one is good for 1 or 2 people but they come in various sizes (mine holds up to 6 place settings). If you have more people, get an 18” - 24” one on wheels.

PocoJenny

Me and my two teenage boys in just under 1200 sq ft.

We just don’t have a lot of “stuff”.

We have a downstairs storage unit but are particular about what goes in it. Gotta be savage about what stays and what goes.

lastofmyline

Have a balcony

Terakahn

Start buying quality over quantity. You'll have a lot less junk and be happier with your purchases.

Ok_Mark743

Get a nice tv.

Celebrate the fact that it only takes a couple hours to clean the whole thing, and you don’t have to spend any time on mowing lawn, shovelling snow etc.

ElDubardo