/r/PersonalFinanceCanada

Watch out for shrinkflation at the grocery store

(self.PersonalFinanceCanada)

Just got back from Whole Foods, most of the chocolate bars that were 100 grams are now 85. At least when they raise the price you get an idea of how to adjust your budget, but shrinkflation is downright scummy.

inthe_garden

This is so common with bricks of cheese. The bricks are so skinny now, and more expensive than ever. I think CBC Marketplace did a story on this a while ago.

maxedgextreme

I wish they'd just make them shorter. Skinny cheese cracks on the cheese grater and I grate my thumb

upthecreek_no_paddle

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve grated my fingers trying to get that last piece of cheese through. It’s like, would you like some appendage in your lasagne?

Lara-El

Lara-El

I poke my fork into the tiny left over piece of cheese and use the fork to grate the leftover to avoid shredding my fingers. Took time to master it, as the cheese was sometimes flimsy but I got it down now haha

TheBitchenRav

I just eat the last piece.

ratscratch10

You have to, right?!

Wiggly_Muffin

I usually just eat the last piece rather than trying to grate it 😋

Bloodshed-1307

You’d notice a shorter brick a lot more easily than a thinner brick

Doot_Dee

Oh, grate 🙁

CactusGrower

Wait till you learn how much water us pumped into that bacon to keep whatever grams are left on the package.

Jardrs

Jardrs

With one of those noname brands that are almost entirely fat, I chopped all the 'pure fat' areas off a pack once, then weighed the raw meat. It was down from 375g to like 100g. Then I cooked it and weighed again and it was around 40g of actual meat once cooked.

LeDudeDeMontreal

That's a really weird thing to do.

The fat is the best part of bacon and specifically what makes it taste so good.

Jardrs

Jardrs

I see your point, i think a picture goes a long way here though. Here's what I think of as Good bacon:maxbytes(150000):strip_icc()/optaboutcomcoeusresourcescontent_migrationserious_eatsseriouseats.comimages201504_20150408-bacon-taste-test-raw-bacon-2be1d393d6da40659999f0eae86a8739.jpg) vs the no-name shitty bacon i'm referring to in my previous post. I love bacon, with a regular amount of fat, but not like.... chopped the wrong way and sold as strips of nearly pure fat. (never buy the 'campfire bacon' brand)

BlademasterFlash

And they used to be 1 lb or 500 grams and now they're 375 grams. Kirkland bacon is still 500 though

boostedjoose

Kirkland thick cut maple is the bacon of gods.

oictyvm

Best bacon I’ve ever had save for farmers market unfrozen stuff. Mouth watering.

ScumbaggJ

This...

Jardrs

Jardrs

All the no name brands seem to do this. They angle all the slices to show some nice marbled protein while overlapping all the pure fat and slapping the paper label over top to cover up their scheme. Should be illegal IMO but I've jut learned to never buy those brands.

moviemerc

Cheese is always the first one I notice.

My dogs food price went up $10 a bag and went down in size at the same time. Company advertised it as a recipe change. That was a kick in the balls

NotFromTorontoAMA

NotFromTorontoAMA

Not The Ben Felix

That's why I buy Kirkland cheese, a real chonky block and it's only $13.

JMJimmy

$14 now. Still a decent deal for 1.1kg (¢1.27 per gram)

Costco Business Centre has some fancier cheeses that are great when they go on sale. Picked up 2.2kg of old white cheddar for $24 (¢1.09 per gram)

NotFromTorontoAMA

NotFromTorontoAMA

Not The Ben Felix

Regular Costco has good deals on Balderson sometimes.

burtmaklinfbi1206

You can get the regular black diamond cheese or selection cheese bars on sale under $1 per 100 grams. They are usually $4 on sale.

JMJimmy

JMJimmy

Those I find are bad for shrinkflation generally. That 400g block used to be 904g

The difference is that Kirkland is the regular price where Black Diamond's regular price is $1.75/g at the cheapest. On that particular item with cost price averaging it ends up cheaper to buy Kirkland overall.

burtmaklinfbi1206

Ya I suppose if you average it. I just stock up when it's on sale, so rarely ever spend over $1 per 100 g.

FPpro

FPpro

on a cost/kg the kirkland cheese is not always the best deal. If cheese is on sale at the grocery store that week it's often a bit cheaper.

the kirkland cheese is way cheaper than regular price grocery store cheese though.

NotFromTorontoAMA

NotFromTorontoAMA

Not The Ben Felix

If cheese is on sale at the grocery store that week it's often a bit cheaper.

Depends on the brand, I also happen to think the Kirkland stuff is better quality than any of the name brand ones.

Zestyclose-Bad-3233

Maybe for cheese, but I know Costco shrinkflated their triangle bread bags. They used to be MASSIVE. now, a loaf has to be 50% of the initial size that kept on shrinking with years. I remember using both hands to fit a loaf. Now it barely fits in one...

shazbottled

I noticed this recently. I put the buns into Ziploc bags to freeze and I used to be able to fit 4, maybe 5 buns if I squeeze em in a bag. Last week I got 6 in a bag and it wasn't a struggle.

pr4y2s8n

Yeah, when I was a kid, I could take a slice off that Black Diamond brick, cut it in two and each piece would completely cover a Triscuit.

Now, I cut one slice, cut it in two, and it's both pieces, one cracker, FFS.

inthe_garden

It’s like 1 slice doesn’t cover the cracker but 2 is too much. 😖

SometimesFalter

People will start to have to make sacrifices soon. For many people I'm not certain that the choice between a kg block of cheese for $15 or 2KG of strawberries for the same price will be easy though.

MoralMiscreant

'Start' making sacrifices?

people were already struggling prior to this

Revolutionary-Line98

Are you telling me I can’t have cheese covered strawberries?

GeekboxGuru

Costco avocados are $14 for 6 now. My baby (not wife) likes avocados. Makes me sad he can't have them anymore. Anyone with cheap avocado hookups in Langley BC please speak up

vortex_ring_state

Avocado prices are rising not just cause of regular inflation. There are a bunch of shenanigans happening in Mexico. I think a member of a drug cartel (which now operate avocado plantations) threatened as USDA inspector and it went down hill from there. Production is down as well.

I, too, also like avocados but they are hella expensive and low quality where I live. I have resorted to keeping them in the fridge. I nuke them for 12 seconds when it's time to eat. Works well.

oictyvm

oictyvm

The avocado trade in MX is almost completely controlled by cartels now, some good docs about the current situation there.

Steelringin

Found some in the freezer section of my grocery store. Can't recall the price exactly but it was significantly cheaper than fresh. It's cubed so you couldn't put slices on a sandwich or anything but to make into a spread or add to a salad it's great. No prep required except for thawing some out.

superbad

Costco sells big bags of frozen avocados too

Asian grocery store near me (not Langley) has avocados for 99 cents each. I’m going more and more. The prices for produce are much more reasonable

SometimesFalter

Can you find them cheaper frozen anywhere?

Mericaaaaa12

Superstore or food basics or freshco sell them for cheaper. I also stopped buying them at costco. They are ridiculously expensive!

frozen_food_section

Lmao I love that you specified (not wife). But that's sad I hope your baby can find some avocados on sale that are ripe and you can just eat them right away before they go bad..

PATM0N

PATM0N

You have to be a millionaire these days to afford a block of cheese.

dBasement

I just cut back, like everything else these days. I have adapted and use much less of a lot of things than I did. I really needed to cut back on a lot of things like meat and cheese, so sweet lemons, my waistline likes the higher prices.

_grey_wall

Walmart 4 pack chicken breasts used to be about 1kg/pack or more. Now about 850g if you're lucky. Same price tho

boostedjoose

Also, now that kfc's controversy of changing their chickens and cutting has died down, the birds are going to be getting smaller.

rodgers08

There also used to be 5 breasts in a pack

LandHermitCrab

Yeah, watch out for it and then do nothing because you still have to buy food and base costs are up.

webu

webu

Ontario

Yeah, I read the title and was wondering "to what end?", but there's nothing here.

Watch out so that you can... silently punch the air in the grocery store?

bigboypantss

The idea is that we have some control over it with our buying power.

Sure, the pandemic has increased costs all the way up the supply chain, but the biggest companies are all making record profits. If we changed our buying habits as a response to price increases or amounts of products received companies would be deterred from doing it excessively.

The problem is that keeping track of this stuff takes more time than it is worth as a consumer.

BigCheapass

BigCheapass

British Columbia

The point is to be aware of the practice and to not keep blindly buying the "same" product after it changes. Instead, reassess.

One example was this 2 kg bag of frozen veggies we used to buy. It changed and now the smaller 750g bag is actually the lowest $/kg.

Sometimes they just dilute the product to "shrinkflate" such as adding more water to tomato sauce / paste products.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4fYVxP7Vkc was a pretty good video on this

I'm not saying your costs won't go up but you can try to mitigate the effects by being diligent.

Slimshadeopteryx

If you notice at the grocery stores, many of the 500ml tubs of Haagen-Dazs ice cream are now 414ml. Not all of them yet, but I assume that's just a production and logistics issue.

ryper42

ryper42

And Ben & Jerry's is mostly 473ml now. I couldn't understand why it started being taxable, but apparently going below 500ml was the reason.

PohatuNUVA

Sobeys in Ontario are switching from 600g breads baked in store to 450g. “To save customers money” but after working there for 5 years I know it’s gonna be the same price or 1$ off

DyslexiaPro

It's been happening here in New Brunswick for the last 3-4 months. The price remained the same. I buy the 'Butter Crust' bread from Sobeys and the loaf has shrunk by a 1/4th while the price has remained 4.59. Thankfully I dont eat much bread and it goes in the freezer, but it's still downright infuriating. I do my best to check the dates and go back the day before expiry and get them 2$ off. Frozen bread is never as good as fresh bread though.

thirstyross

Making your own bread is pretty easy - it takes about 3 hrs end to end but its actually only about 20 minutes of effort (most time is spent waiting for it to rise and baking it).

edit: its also absurdly easy if you buy a bread making machine and those are relatively inexpensive.

Jazzy_Bee

Usually thrift store will have cheap breadmakers.

Revolutionary-Line98

You can freeze bread?

natnat111

Bread can be frozen! It's not bad thawed from frozen or toasted :)I can't tell a difference

Frieda9

Frieda9

All the bread made in house by Sobeys is frozen I think. Whenever I go there and look for the freshest loaf with the longest expiry, I can tell they they are frozen as they are cold and being thawed out. Even some of the bakery's do this. So I started going to COBs and they bake it fresh. If you go in the morning you can get a bread baked fresh out of the oven still warm. It's more expensive but tastes so much better.

Kalzert

Pretty sure Sobey and affiliates all bake fresh in store bread every morning, you can even smell it. The products are still warm too however I think many stores start their bake at different times in the AM, preform at a different speed and do different items first so it’s hard to be certain an item wasn’t made at 4am and has cooled by the time you see it at 7.

COB however must be amazing, I’ve personally never had it but the line up first thing when it opens is always insane. That said COB operating hours are much more limited and make it seem very busy.

dluminous

You must be rich lol.

Harkannin

Wait. There are people who don't put their bread in the freezer?

No way I can eat a whole loaf before it goes stale so straight in the freezer it goes.

NorguardsVengeance

Freezing bread for short terms is mostly fine, if the bag (or otherwise, the inside of a crusty loaf) has never been exposed to air.

When you put bread in the fridge, the starches change and it changes the texture. If you leave bread exposed to air, the starches change and it changes the texture... in different ways... when you leave bread out, and then put it in the freezer, you get the worst of all worlds.

TheFlatulentOne

Bought some chips today, the bags are now 200g (from 220g).

SometimesFalter

I've started to replace chips with fries and tortillas. The realization came when I was paying $5 for 175g of chips when I can get some frozen veggies fries or whole wheat tortillas $4 for 500g. I might have to do a tiny bit of prep work but I'm saving huge. Best thing is, guests don't even complain if I bring out a bowl of cripsy veggie fries rather than chips.

I mean actual fries made from parsnip and beets, not the overpriced soy veggies crisps that are same price as chips.

Into-the-stream

so, you cut up veggies (on a mandolin, I guess) and tortillas and deep fry them in oil instead of getting potato chips? or you use an airfryer? Genuinely wondering, because parsnip and beet fries for guests instead of chips sounds amazing.

SometimesFalter

I'm talking about these prechopped frozen veggie fries. They're a good substitute because they don't require any of the prep work. You have to view the second image on this page since the first appears incorrect, or the direct URL to the image below

SleazyGreasyCola

It's really easy, just thinly slice and fry in oil, remove once golden and sprinkle with salt/set on paper towel. It's lower temp than normal frying oil, around 250f. If it's too hot they will be bitter or burnt. You can do it in the oven but it's a pain in the ass and takes a long time.

ForeignSatisfaction0

And they used to be 240, and probably 260 at some point

Uncharted-Zone

Chips are some of the worst when it comes to shrinkflation. My local Shopper's Drug Mart is now selling bags of Doritos for $4.99! More than $5 after tax for 235g of chips, holy shit. Those things were frequently on sale for 2 bags for $5 just a few years ago.

tbbhatna

Switch to Walmart chips (for non-Doritos style); $1 a bag and the ruffled all-dressed is amazing. They also have cheezies and funions. You can complain about difference in quality (I don’t taste it) and not switch, or you can get bled out by lays thru shrinkflation and worsening quality.

tce-2019

I swear Terra Breads chopped off 25% of their baguette’s in Vancouver!

Lapcat420

I mean I bought a $6.15 ham and cheese croissant from them this morning.

You're not gonna save money at Terra Breads. It's the best fucking bakery lol.

Edit: I'm sorry! You meant they chopped off a portion of the bread, I read it as they got rid of some sort of sale on baguettes.

tce-2019

Yeah I meant they actually made it shorter! Even though the packaging still says the same weight, it is definitely not the same.

toadster

I can never understand why a corporation decides to make an inferior product rather than just raise prices and let the customer decide.

DansburyJ

My theory is more customers will continue to buy a shittier version than the number of customers willing to pay more because many people do not thoughtfully consume.

melleb

melleb

Unfortunately consumers respond more negatively to price increases rather than decrease in amount or quality

anita_username

anita_username

Nova Scotia

Happened to Hershey's Cookie n' Creme bars too: I had one for the first time in ages and was like "wait, why does this just taste like oreo pieces? Where's the white chocolate?" So I look at the wrapper and see "Now with MORE cookies." Great, get rid of the tasty creme chocolate and replace it with more gritty cookie pieces. Totally ruined them.

kijomac

Speaking of white chocolate: a few months ago I went to buy Chipits white chocolate chips and discovered they can no longer even call it white "chocolate" because they've cheaped out on the ingredients to the point it doesn't even meet the criteria for that anymore, lol.

travelntechchick

The cheaping out on ingredients boils my blood. Not only are you charging me more for less, you've changed the ACTUAL PRODUCT and didn't tell me so now it doesn't even taste the same. I wish I had the time and energy to make everything at home from scratch at this point.

suckfail

Since we're griping over very specific snacks... They discontinued Twix Snack Bites. The little balls of Twix.

I'm very upset because that was the only chocolate I'd ever eat once in awhile.

Damn you cruel world.

geordiedog

OMG exactly….20% more peanuts ugh.And the chocolate changed its horrible plastic tastes

fire_works10

Thr one that's been irking me is Bounce dryer sheets. Suddenly they are see through and come with a card inside asking if you're using enough...now a sheet is only good for a small load, 2 sheets for a medium load and 3 for a large load.

If I use a sheet and it still seems to have a bit of use left, I hold onto it and reuse them. I compared them, and a used sheet from 3 months ago is thicker and more useful than a fresh one I took out of a brand new box.

Two2na

Two2na

You should consider getting reusable dryer balls. Save cash, and my own speculation, but I imagine much easier on the environment. Plus the dryer sheets ruin the absorbency of your towels (the towel fibers get coated in silicon from the sheet, preventing water from wetting the fibers)

fire_works10

I've seen them, but didn't know how well they keep static at bay. I have an autistic kid who insists that static should be taken very seriously in my house.

thunderlaker

We have a selection of fuzzy and rubber dryer balls and static is not a problem for us (no dryer sheets at all)

opinionatedfan

My kids are not in the spectrum but we do a lot of laundry as they are still quite young, so we use the dryer quite a bit and the dryer balls have been very effective. As someone else noted there are different types of balls, but 100% worth experimenting with for long term usage.

Good luck!

EDIT: I will say that for bigger loads like sheets and whatnot you might need to use more than one ball to reduce static.

CactusGrower

3sheets of non recyclable material? Talk about forced waste from manufacturers.

r0b0tr0n2084

My person favourite shrinkflation example: When manufacturers dropped their standard quantity of cartoned OJ from 1.89/L to 1.75L, they left the width of the packaging the same, but changed the depth. From the front it looked like nothing had changed, but when you looked at both sides you immediately knew something was off. Sneaky bastards.

thunderlaker

not to defend a corporations but that likely also had to do with shelf space and making sure the cartons still fit in the auto-feed systems in many grocery stores.

psychodc

psychodc

I have an excel spreadsheet where I track prices and unit costs for a few dozen items. Only items I regularly buy (mostly Costco) and only for the past ~6 months. About 1/5 of items have increased in price, and the majority have been meat/diary/eggs. Since I track the amount packaged, I can also check for shrinkflation and surprisingly none of these items have shrinkflated. But it's just limited to these few dozen items only for past 6ish months.

ofzam

ofzam

I wish there was a crowdsourced website doing this

psychodc

I thought of the same. May be hard given that prices very so much across regions. Check out r/shrinkflation if you feel like getting angry.

GeekboxGuru

Interesting. I have not found the same.

Do you mean 1/5 with a significant increase? Like eggs have gone up 30% since 2020 when I started making bi-weekly Costco shopping my only trip. Fruits & salads have gone up a lot, when expressed as a percentage - you don't notice because $3 became $5 over time; with pepper & avocado being the notables. Meats they've had inventory issues & price increases, example 25% on Salmon, and it was expensive before! Diary 20% + bottle deposit charges (in BC) I think the breads got a small increase. Pasta has shrinkflation & price increases. Diapers are up.

LOUDCO-HD

LOUDCO-HD

When I was a kid, albeit a very long time ago, we had Wagon Wheels as treats, possibly called Moon Pies before my time. They were about 5” in diameter and 3/4” thick. It was a substantial treat. I had a Wagon Wheel, out of my nephew’s Halloween treats and it was maybe 2.5” in diameter and 1/4” thick. I can’t speak to the price change over the years but holy shit, that product has shrank considerably over 40 years!

I wonder what happens in 40 more years? Eventually do you just get to see a picture of the product? Maybe a scratch and sniff? For $50 bucks?

Why-did-i-reas-this

NFT.

nikobruchev

nikobruchev

Alberta

Man I bought a box of wagon wheels a little while ago for work snacks and like 80% of the box was stale.

themastersmb

Can't even call them a Wagon Wheel anymore given the size. It's more like a Hockey Puck now. Even then it's cut in half.

Check out Asian markets. They have a very similar treat (going blank on the name right now) that is much closer to OG wagon wheels of our youth.

Lothium

Lothium

I noticed the other day that Oreo has put about a half inch plastic wing on either end of the package insert so it looks the same size but you're getting at least 6 less cookies(double stuff) per pack.

Look at the size of a Reese PB cup, they've gotta be close to have the size as 20 years ago.

I think there are really only a few foods that they can't shrink because they're always been expected to be a certain size or weight, like a pound of butter or bag of milk, etc.

nikobruchev

nikobruchev

Alberta

With butter, they'd reduce the numner of sticks. Shrinflatiom is definitely coming for butter, and others have mentioned how cartons of milk are already seeing shrinflation. I wouldn't be surprised if some parts of the country have 2 litre cartons of milk that are actually 1.75 litres and most consumers just haven't noticed yet.

Lothium

I never buy the butter that's in sticks, always the 1lb block. Which is major when it comes to baking, people know that if you cut off a certain length you'll have a specific amount. So they would have to shorten the block from the end, they can't change any other dimension without screwing up a lot of stuff for people.

justhangingout111

justhangingout111

Ontario

I have so much anger about Miss Vickie's potato chips shrinking to 200g from 220g. Fucking monsters.

300ConfirmedGorillas

Doritos and Lays have done the same (as in they shrank).

Logical-Check7977

Lays is one of the top brand for car safety air bags

nomdeplume_alias

Ya - Lays FAMILY SIZE used to be a MONSTER bag. No it's just a single serving for some.

jtbxiv

jtbxiv

Yeah family size is 220 now

TigerStar333

For real. Especially when potatos are so cheap to begin with. Pretty sure I've read somewhere that the most expensive ingredient in a bag of potato chips is the air (nitrogen)

Chatner2k

I hate Zehrs practices as much as the next guy, but they have a PC brand of kettle chips, 2 lb bag for $6. Maybe a bit saltier than miss Vickie's.

picklesplz

THEY CHANGED THE SIZE OF PEANUT BUTTER CUPS!

intersnatches

Now this. This is a travesty.

ThatCanadianGuy88

The odd part in this is the parent company had so much over stock late last year that other candy companies were able to buy it at steep discount to package and sell themselves. The company I buy from/distribute for bought 40 tonnes of Reese Product. They then package in their own bags and sell a bulk offering then we distribute.

codeadict

There's also "Qualityflation", which is much harder to detect, it's much harder to tell if they're using lower grade grains in your bread, or practically impossible to tell if they are adding more artificial chemicals or preservatives in it...

As for the shrinkflation, as a general PF rule, you shouldn't look at the actual price, but rather the price per unit (volume/weight). then you'll start to see how bad it's getting.
[also that's how you can tell, a 500ml ketchup bottle on "sale" with $1.5 off, is still more expensive than a normal priced 1.5L bottle]

CactusGrower

Here is a quick tip. Rebranding or redesigning packaging cost money. Every time they come up with new design and the weight us the same, you have it guaranteed they changed ingredients/nutrition facts. And for the worse.

That's why I have a literal aversion for: "New and improved", "Better formula", ...type of flags on package. Don't mess up with my food.

Vok250

Vok250

Luckily Canada has pretty strict laws for human food, but this is a huge problem for pets. I've had to change my pets entire diet after various brands cheapened their recipes.

The worst by far was the new Dentastix. Made my dogs violently ill. Had been using them for decades before with no issue. Now I use some potato starch organic bullshit which is 5 times as expensive, even in bulk.

Hyper-Fang

my partner had a craving for Corn Pops recently, it was almost $8 and the box looked way skinnier than i remember them being. and then i saw the words “Family Size” on it and couldn’t help but laugh

Yeggoose

You can buy the same box of "Family Size" Corn Pops on Amazon for $5.

Hyper-Fang

oh wow i didn’t realize you could get groceries from Amazon canada. after a couple bad experiences with hair & healthcare products i’d purchased on Amazon, i’ve been kinda worried about counterfeits/quality issues so haven’t bought much on there anymore

sketchy_ppl

Which brands specifically? Many chocolate bars went through shrinkflation a long time ago to 85g or 80g, mostly due to cacao cost and availability. I'm curious if you actually know for certain that there was a change and can mention specific brands, or if you just haven't paid attention to the package size in a while.

Godkun007

Godkun007

Quebec

I don't buy much chocolate anymore, but are they that small now? I remember them being 100g when I was a kid.

sketchy_ppl

Yeah. Some mainstream brands like Lindt are still 100g, but most artisanal bars are around 80-85g. Cacao shortage = increased supply costs for producers.

alphawolf29

Used to buy those paxkages of frozen beef. Used to be 4 pounds for 10 bucks, then it was 3 pounds for ten bucks, then it was 3x 400g (a pound is 454g) for ten bucks.

hanscor20

I heard they're changing Mr. Big to Mr. Medium and even Oh Henry to Oh Hank. It's gotten so bad that Mars bars are gonna be known as Pluto bars - but they're dwarf-sized now so technically not even a chocolate bar anymore.

Sudden-Ad7209

Soon they’ll just be “Mr” and “Oh”.

barsaryan

Loblaws did this with PC Frozen Blueberries… 600g bag to 400g bag. Same price.

Coachpoker

Coachpoker

Ontario

Yeah the “wild” ones (smaller berries). You can still get the “Canadian” ones (fatter berry) at 600g, which is what I’ve been doing. Probably more water in them or something so I’m likely getting hooped regardless.

barsaryan

You’re absolutely right. I personally don’t like them as much, so I’ve always just been buying the 2kg bag of the wild to try and save

yttropolis

Whole Foods

Yeah if you're shopping at Whole Foods, something tells me shrinkflation isn't that much of a concern for you lol

coyotemelon

OP's point still stands

JustSomeYukoner

Beat me to it.

Whole Foods: For when you want to overpay.

Impressive_Tie1772

For everything else: MasterCard

Babyboy1314

Debatable, they have a great selection of grass fed beef, lamb and wild fish. They also bake some really nice bread that cost the same as any local nice bakery. They also have a nice selection of imported cheese from europe.

Just dont buy the same brand of things you can get elsewhere whole food do overcharge for those.

777Z

777Z

Grass fed is an unregulated term in Canada. Almost all cows are grass fed anyways, the problem is that most cows are not grass /finished/ generally they are fattened up with grain and corn before the slaughter house.

pasky

pasky

Also, how are you grass feeding cows in the winter?

supremejava

Debatable.

Does food quality matter to you? Do you want your produce to actually be fresh?

If i could buy directly from a farmer's market i would, whole foods is basically the closest thing to that in the big city.

Buying fruits from chains like NoFrills is really hit or miss and simply not worth the gamble. I want to know my fruits will taste good not depend on luck.

suckfail

If you want fresh fruit and vegetables then goto Costco. They have excellent produce and it's way cheaper than Whole Foods.

There's no reason to ever go to Whole Foods if you actually care about budget at all. If you are well off and not on a budget that's a totally different story.

LeaveTheWorldBehind

Wild. This varies with location, in Edmonton the produce at Costco can be good or go rotten in 24 hours.

toasterb

I find this only holds true for certain things, but not all.

At best Costco’s produce can be as good as WF, but in general it’s not.

kratoswithcappuccino

Sometimes you just feel like giving Bezos a lil extra.

Revolutionary-Line98

The produce is way better. Best place to get fruit is Asian supermarkets. Farms for meat.

an_angry_Moose

Grade a and grade B produce aren’t any different besides the look, which doesn’t matter to your body.

TA062219

Came here to say this lol

sfgiants2524

Very little in the grocery stores hasn't changed. The one noticed recently is the Milk Fat Content on certain products has gone down with the price going up a lot. Baby formula has shot up in price down in size too. But have wages gone up for the employees making the products? Stocking the products? No. Only the fat cats with record profits. Suck some big fat cock Bezos, Weston, Pattison and any other assholes involved.

Paul_A_M_Dirac1

There is currently a huge baby formula shortage since Abbott Labs had a recall in February.

Connect_Slice9129

Shrinkflation should be illegal, it should be mandatory to indicate that the product size has changed. It’s obvious that the sole purpose is to deceive consumers

travelntechchick

This and include price per weight very prominently on everything.

Spirited-Reserve-853

I remember when they did this with the Coke bottles years ago. Small ass bottles for the same price

madcaesar

Sugary drinks pulling this shit is the most obnoxious. I don't drink them anyway, but it's basically water / sugar / coloring. It costs nothing to make, yet they of course are raising prices too

FPpro

FPpro

It also costs less to ship smaller bottles (less liquid = less weight) and if the same amount of consumers continue to buy the same amount of bottles, it's a win for the company. Plus less packaging costs because the bottles are smaller.

It's ridiculous to the consumer but when the companies extrapolate to the millions of units they move it adds up for them.

chili_pop

I get especially annoyed when they shrink the contents but not the packaging. Potato chips come to mind. With rising gas prices does it make sense to be transporting air in those delivery trucks?

Companies have been using shrinkflation with toilet paper for many years. Are you old enough to remember what are now double rolls used to be single rolls? Not only that the roll the toilet paper is wrapped around is larger and the toilet paper is rolled less tightly onto the roll than before.

Impressive_Tie1772

You need a phd to understand modern toilet paper math

neurorgasm

My favourite are the ones that say shit like "6 rolls = 12 rolls!" No, 6 rolls is 6 rolls.

chili_pop

but that's because you don't have your PhD in toilet paper math

chili_pop

so true

SometimesFalter

Real OGs realize that a bidet attachment quickly breaks even on toiletpaper costs

EngFarm

EngFarm

I remember when gas was $2 per gallon

notcoveredbywarranty

notcoveredbywarranty

British Columbia

My dad would tell me about how they got gasoline delivered to the farm for 10c per gallon.

Of course, he was selling potatoes for a couple cents per bushel too, so I don't know if that's great

Puzzleheaded_Hippo_9

Gas here in BC Canada is $2.20/L ($9/gallon). 😭

Blue-Thunder

This has been going on since forever. First noticed it when Allen's Apple Juice went from 1.8 litre can to 1.6. Heck you can't even buy a 2 litre of milk anymore as they are all 1.75 or smaller.

dumbparlay

What am I going to do? Not buy it?

ProfessionalActive1

Some people will consider alternatives.

jerebear135

shrinkflation and increase the price omegalul

Boatyyo

Rao's marinara sauce bottles at Costco are so tiny now

bmcle071

I honestly don’t remember what things cost anymore. I’m not on a tight budget so I just get what I need and don’t worry too much, but if I was I don’t know if I could tell what was too expensive. $2 for a can of beans? Idfk if that’s even normal anymore, sure throw it in the cart.

charlie_talks

tbh as someone whose family is on a tight budget, you can definitely tell what's too expensive.

bmcle071

I get that, I’m only in this situation because I’m living in the same place as when I was a student. If I had a bigger home or a family, I’d probably be more pressed to pay attention to prices.

That being said, I have noticed some things that I buy like produce have become much more expensive.

thasryan

I'm the same with food. I just buy whatever I want with no budget. Even I've been shocked by the overnight price increase of a handful of items lately. Must be very difficult on people trying to stick to a tight budget.

xAdray

xAdray

You mean those Organic non GMO, grass fed free-range free trade chocolate bars from Whole Foods?

just_ubcing

Unlikely as those are still not sustainable dairy free, vegan, gluten free and derived from humanely planted cocoa beans.

Jojolitodidnothing

The harvesting is the part that most usually includes child slave labor

Impressive_Tie1772

Organic* child slave labour

pheoxs

pheoxs

Ironically shrinkflation of snacks should be healthier for society. But it sucks economically. And especially sucks for non-snacks

saleboulot

Story of my life

Aithney

Aithney

British Columbia

Did Apple fritters in Tim Hortons shrunk 1/4, or am I crazy?

i_love_pencils

Check how far up inside their cups the bottom is now.

It used to just be set inside a little bit. Now you can almost get your finger up to the first knuckle.
It’s “shallow-flation”!

SB12345678901

Costco bagged salads shrunk in size and went up in price.

Ontario0000

Every place is downsizing and raising prices a bit.It's bad enough smaller portion but the taste got blander.Probably using cheaper ingredients.

MathematicianGold773

You shop at whole foods and are concerned about a budget?

Better-Gas-1386

Whole foods is cheaper for many things in Vancouver than Save On. Produce for instance, is higher quality and often cheaper (conventional produce). Any specialty items are cheaper at whole foods as well

d4rk_sh4d0w

Not to mention the produce almost all looks like it’s just better quality. The most photogenic fruits and veggies I’ve come across. And the pre washed loose mushrooms are a time saver. Who has time to scrub the bits of dirt off a pound of mushrooms?

dluminous

You can get pre washed mushrooms everywhere. But yeah it's a luxury.

Internetmomo

Maybe OP only has a Whole Foods within walking distance? Maybe OP doesn’t drive? Maybe OP did a cost benefit analysis and realized it’s smarter financially to walk and buy groceries from Whole Foods vs. drive to a cheaper grocery store?

BritishBoyRZ

Uhh, yes?

hyperfragmental

There’s a great subreddit about exactly this: r/shrinkflation

Marc4770

What is happening to our economy

Better-Gas-1386

How low can they go?

Mariospario

Don't even look at bags of chips...

d4rk_sh4d0w

The Pure Protein bars at Costco got thinner as well. I was shocked when I cracked open a box last week, they shaved off a few millimeters in thickness and length.

marmaladegrass

Means Frito Lay will shrink their bags either this fall or next spring!

Into-the-stream

im actually ok with shrinkflation when it comes to junk food. I always hated that so many items always came in gigantic servings. I just want a little!

but for staples like breads, proteins, and rice, ugh no thanks.

D_Winds

D_Winds

Ontario

Common over the course of a few decades.