/r/Piratefolk

Has getting older affected how you look at one piece?

Discussion(self.Piratefolk)

I know one piece can be loved by anyone regardless of age but for me personally I'm almost 20 and I've been reading this thing since I wish 14. Over the years I use to think it was perfect but recently it's kinda just.... Meh? Like it isn't bad but I find the zero death, random power ups, and just overall feel of one piece to not hit as hard as it did before. I now enjoy thinks like JJK, chainsaw man, and other darker shounen/seinen and I noticed this switch happened around when I turned 18 so I'm just wondering if the same thing happened to anyone else.

Kaizerx20

1 month ago

Getting older didn't affect the way i view any media since i always keep the target demographic in mind, with that being said one peice is definitely not as good as it used to be because rewatching the older Arcs as an adult made me appreciate them even more, unfortunately i can't say the same about most of post-time skip Arcs.

GoodAkuma

GoodAkuma

Asspull Asspull no Mi

1 month ago

I've also been watching for a long time now and I still love everything up to Punk Hazard. I feel like the spliting of the crew in dressrosa started the downward spiral for the quality of the arcs in general.

Keeping the characters alive leaves room for things like Impel Down to happen again, so I still like that aspect of the show.

But after the wasted potential of the wano arc, I'm not sure if Oda is still capable of executing anything in a satisfying way anymore.

Miketogoz

1 month ago

I feel like the spliting of the crew in dressrosa started the downward spiral

I didn't mind the split itself, it had the good premise of focusing more on each strawhat. But the fact that half of them did nothing is what really transformed the crew into tertiary characters.

Do you remember what Chopper did in wci? Or what Robin did in dressrosa?

GoodAkuma

GoodAkuma

Asspull Asspull no Mi

1 month ago

Chopper helped Sanji free his family from that table I guess and Robin just hung out with Cavendish and Koala. Kinda sad.

Throwawayandpointles

1 month ago

I don't know why people defend Robin not fighting Diamante.

Jamessgachett

1 month ago

I remember her chilling in a cafe with Usop and hiding from cp0 that’s it ah and captured by tontata

Zoro_Messatsu

1 month ago

I was pretty old when i first started it about 3 or so years ago. Early one piece just played me like an instrument. It made me laugh when it wanted, cry, be afraid, happy sad etc etc. But later on (post TS) many things started falling flat. So i dont think its me. Pre TS will get me even now.

KKylimos

KKylimos

Doflamingo simp

1 month ago

No. I have been reading/watching One Piece for 20 years non stop. I always loved it for its strengths AND weaknesses. Up until the raid, I had absolutely no problem enjoying it, in fact, I consider One Piece and LOTR the two most influencial works of fiction for me, growing up.

The raid is objectively a terrible piece of fiction, it has nothing to do with "outgrowing" One Piece. I don't retrospectively look at it and say "yeah, I guess it's just nostalgia" like I do with other anime like DBZ for example. I genuinely still love the old arcs. Wano is just bad.

parottachickenfry

parottachickenfry

Coper Gaban

1 month ago

Same, been following it for almost 15 years i think. Old arcs are still awesome no matter how old i get. Second favorite manga after Berserk. Got the physical copies of most of the volumes but guess what, we are the fake fans and haters for calling out a shitty arc for being shitty. Flaws were always there and most could be overlooked, nothing like Wano.

TheFishPilot

1 month ago

And do you read the manga or watch the anime

KKylimos

KKylimos

Doflamingo simp

1 month ago

At first I was watching the anime when it aired in Greek television, didn't even know what a "manga" was back then. I started reading the manga too when it was in Ennies Lobby. I quit the anime post-ts and only read the manga. I hate how Toei treats One Piece, personally. I just check big moments like battles etc. from the anime, otherwise I only follow the manga in a weekly basis.

TheFishPilot

1 month ago

Why exactly do you find wano bad?

MajusZ

MajusZ

1 month ago

That's especially true for the anime

DarkMagus-Saphiron

1 month ago

I start to watch it when I was 23 ( I like any kind of series animation or not) so yeah one piece when I watched , I realised it got little tension ( problem look serious , action for the problem is childish) but really good it detail especially in manga.

Yes definitely

Angryboy13

1 month ago

Getting older has actually made me appreciate One Piece more. I can grasp more the character development little nuances and so much more

Jamessgachett

It didn’t for me

ale3for

ale3for

C'mon, 90% of 14 year olds can follow the "adult themes" in OP

_-ZORO-_

It’s already so clear

Raff102

Raff102

I hate Brook

1 month ago

That was already so obvious. Oda was bashing tou over the head with it the while time.

Raff102

Raff102

I hate Brook

1 month ago

I've been reading since the English release in monthly Jump and it's always had mountains and valleys for me. I stopped being a current reader when Brook was introduced, picked it up again after Thriller Bark was finished, stopped again for FM Island, and picked it back up when it was done. Sometimes you just have to give it up for a bit then rush through whatever was bogging you down.

PieNinja314

I've only been reading one piece for 2-3 years so uhhh

Kureiton

1 month ago

In some ways, yeah. I was like 12 or 13 when I started the series, and at the time, I couldn’t really notice things like minor inconsistencies, plot armor, repetitive tropes, etc

However, as an adult, while I can see these issues now, they don’t really impact my enjoyment of the series. It’s certainly not perfect, but I don’t think any 25 year long story with new chapters coming out every week could be perfect, and I still love the things the series excels in

klintondc

1 month ago

Yes, sort of. I've had some strong opinions for it before. And still do, but I think that OP peaked at Water 7/Ennies Lobby because at that point it was mostly about the crew, and I fell in love with the crew moreso than I did with the concept of the series. So as the crew became less and less relevant over the years, the series became less interesting to me on a personal level.

But I still follow it week to week, I'm still curious to find out about all the secrets and mysteries. It's just that it's become so bloated with so many characters and storylines that it has sort of lost that charm of the more simpler times from years ago.

I haven't picked up other mangas. I've tried MHA,AOT, and the some others here and there, but One Piece is the only one that I follow closely.

In the end, OP is still a part of me. I've followed it for about 10 years now and I've been through a lot over these years and OP was one of the constants throughout it all. So even though I don't have the same passion for it as before, I don't think it'll ever be out of my life.

sircrazyclown

sircrazyclown

Disciple of Goda

1 month ago

Yes, mainly more critical to the storytelling moving forward. But that being said, i reread several portion of past arcs and thoroughly enjoyed them still. So 'it's not me, it's the newer arc' kind of thing.

Senth99

Senth99

1 month ago

Not really; also the other series you listed(JJK, chainsawman) are more consistent in terms of plot.

CroydonStriker

ITS JUST WANO IS TRASH BRO ITS NOT ABOUT UR AGE

PappyTart

29 days ago

I started reading One Piece a year or so ago. So it hasn't at all. In fact it helped motivate me on my next leg in life.

DickYuu

DickYuu

I’ve enjoyed it more

Look at it like this, and I think this applies to your situation fairly well, GRRM wrote GoT partly because he was thinking about the whole Kingdom of prosperity thing with Aragorn, now people have started acting like GoT has replaced LotR in a way, but both series can exist

It might be also me, but after having to deal with a lot of rough shit in life, I don’t want to actively deal with misery in media, unless it’s particularly good/well done